How about Game of the Decade?

• @bam541 Dishonored 2 would have made my top 8 for 2016. But that was before I knew this forum was a thing.

• @shoulderguy I think it's great and kinda funny folks are so hype we're already grabbing lists and putting things together before @Axel can even make a post about it. XD

• @bam541 It really looks like Arkane could make one of the greatests games ever (and I've seen more than one argue they already have) and still not get the recognition they should, really hoping they can get a decent hit with Deathloop.

• @shoulderguy The 2010s was a good decade for games with 'Odyssey' or 'Kingdom' in their title.

• @shoulderguy I was shocked to not see it there!

• Yeah just to be clear, voting is not open yet, this post is just so we can establish the rules beforehand, so don't panic :) I was however hoping to get it started sometime in the next couple weeks. And I would definitely leave voting open for a longer period than usual, considering the effort it will take to rank our games (I've narrowed my own list down to 52 games now and I'm paralyzed).

@Brannox Indeed, the only games eligible are the ones who made our Top 25/20 lists for each year. Basically the games that @Shoulderguy posted above.

I found it interesting to revisit my own votes for each year, as I sometimes looked at a game and thought "Don't think that one will make my top 15" only to see it was my second favourite for a given year... Or the other way around, an old honorable mention getting me more excited than the rest. There's also games I hadn't played at the time, that now really have a chance of making my list.

• @axel Got it. I had a list built with two contingencies and now I can delete one. Ready to submit when you open it up. Thank you for the clarification!

• Banned

I can't do it.
    I just can't do it, guys.
    My list is too big. It is almost monolithic in size. It's shadow looms over me like a Colossus. Every time I look at it existential dread starts to consume me as the realization that I may never be able to narrow it down to just 8 games sets in.

• @el-shmiablo Luckily you'll get to have 20 games! :P

• Banned

20 is still not enough.
    When I gaze upon the list, I hear the sound of children screaming - as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing grows above my head, and from it emerge a thousand starving crows. As Axel slips through the widening maw in his new form, I catch only a glimpse of his radiance before I am incinerated. Then as tears of bubbling pitch stream down his face, his dark work begins. He opens one of his six mouths, and sings the song that ends the Earth.

• I recommend people start by unscientifically picking the first 20 games (approx) that really catch your eye from the list, then start sorting those 20 for a while. You'll inevitably feel that some of those picks are iffy in comparison to the rest and/or you'll realize you picked fewer than 20. Then you go back to the big list and rope in a much smaller amount. Now you have 20ish games, and finish sorting them. You could repeat the process again to really make sure you don't want to make a few minor additions or removals, but each additional round is going to matter far less.

Don't get hung up over the games that fall below the arbitrary threshold of "20" or else you will think of yourself as dooming one game or another. Like, imagine as a thought experiment if you had access to your perfect, theoretical internal score for each game. That would make the ranking automatic, but if we also imagine that there were 10 games in your heart of hearts tied at 100/100, 10 that were tied at 99/100 (in the figurative, unknowable sense), and so on then of course the games that are "theoretically" ranked 21, 31, or 51 are going to be virtually no better or worse than the ones at ranks 9 or 19. That example was a bit extreme, but a version of this is just the reality If you are a fan of a lot of games. It's not slight against some especially revered game if you only had it at number 30. Nor is there a reason why you have to view your list as being a project that resolved detectable differences between all those games when the reality might be that many "spots" on your list could be tied between many games and that's just the way it is.

• @el-shmiablo said in How about Game of the Decade?:

When I gaze upon the list, I hear the sound of children screaming - as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing grows above my head, and from it emerge a thousand starving crows. As Axel slips through the widening maw in his new form, I catch only a glimpse of his radiance before I am incinerated. Then as tears of bubbling pitch stream down his face, his dark work begins. He opens one of his six mouths, and sings the song that ends the Earth.

That game definitely would make my Top 20.

• The way I did it was to take the full list of eligible games (take it from @Shoulderguy above), paste it in an Excel file.

Then remove all the games you haven't played (or actively disliked).

At that point I had 90 games that were both eligible and I had played and enjoyed.

Then I sorted them according to the ranking I gave them before in the individual GOTYs, so I got my 10 GOTYs, then my 10 #2, etc. There may be games you didn't vote for back then because you only played them after the fact, you may lump those with the HMs.

That should give you a solid overview of your feelings about the games, but obviously you're not beholden to it, you could very well not include a game that was your GOTY on a given year (I've eliminated a few), and include an HM from another year. There's this particular year I won't reveal from which I included 6 games I originally voted for, what a year!

Anyway, from that point on, look at the list and start chipping away, you can do it in multiple rounds. What I did was read through them all, highlight the ones I get a strong gut feeling for, and remove what's left. Rinse and repeat the process until you've narrowed it down to 20. Then rank those 20.

I've managed to narrow it down to 23 as of right now, and my heart aches.

• I've updated the list of eligible games.

The number of games I've played from the list.

2019 - 13
    2018 - 16
    2017 - 18
    2016 - 14
    2015 - 10
    2014 - 12
    2013 - 11
    2012 - 12
    2011 - 15
    2010 - 11

Total - 132

I have my list narrowed down to a preliminary top 20 with another list of 20 games that I'm still considering. The last 5 spots is the hardest part for me.

• If it is only 10 games per list I have mine ready, but if it is a top 25, then I'm betting I won't see more than 3 of those make it.

• @bard91 No, you have to make a Top 15 + 5 (optional) honorable mentions.

Check out this post for the scoring breakdown: https://forums.easyallies.com/topic/5716/how-about-game-of-the-decade/29

• I recently had this conversation with a friend on mine. I'll have to dig up the messages so I don't have to do the research again. Definitely know my number 1, but want to get everything else sorted accordingly

• I've got 89 to choose from, not bad!

EDIT: I did remove games early that I've played but didn't think would fit in a top 20, 30 or even 50.

• Friends, if you don't think Mass Effect 2 is game of the decade, PLEASE vote in this. Otherwise this is a race for 2nd place.

• I have a list of 84 that I will start to arrange

@e_zed_eh_intern said in How about Game of the Decade?:

Friends, if you don't think Mass Effect 2 is game of the decade, PLEASE vote in this. Otherwise this is a race for 2nd place.

I haven't even cemented the top of my list yet, but I don't think it's even that close to GOTD for me. Prob top 5 tho. We'll see where it ends up.