PS4 Neo and Xbox One Scorpio Can't Play TRUE Native 4K

• Hello There.
    With all the new info on the specs of the "upgraded" consoles coming out. I couldn't help but to wounder. What sort of performance would theses systems will they be able to do. I think TRUE Native 4k is out of the question, and native UHD is out too, but i think they said it would be upscaled to UHD. I think we all know the reason for the upgrades are happening any way VR. With both consoles using AMD parts do you think devs will be able to use Volcan on theses systems. Would you rather be able to play games native 1080p @60 FPS or upscaled UHD @30 FPS

• I think it's a bit premature to say what they can or cannot do, especially since Neo isn't even officially announced.

And we haven't even seen anything from Scorpio but a bunch of numbers.

• There's no proof one way or the other since neither console is officially "Done" yet anyway.

Oh and then factor in that less than 5% of the general public even have 4K TVs, it's not really going to matter all that much. It was one thing when 1080p was the "New thing" because by that point HDTVs had been out long enough that it was pretty much standard, such is not the case with 4K.

• @Whoaness Considering you'd need an ULTRA powerful PC to run recent games at 4k (and even then you shouldn't expect to hit 60 FPS) it would suffice to say the upcoming upgraded consoles have no chance at rendering at 4k.

Don't see why upscaling from 1080 (or 1440 if the upgraded consoles can handle that, seems unlikely but you never know) to 4K would present too much a problem though.

• I don't know anything about this.. but wouldn't games need to be developed for 4K? Would developers think its worth it or would they just use the power for frame rates, textures, etc?

• @ChaosBahamut That's the Digital Foundary way of thinking. Take a similar spec PC to rumoured console spec and call it exactly like the console.

Huge mistake. Consoles are custom built internally so they don't need to deal with PCI or DIMM slot pipelines that won't run as well as when the components are built into the board. Consoles don't have to deal with shitty driver software where Nvidia, one day, will run at 60fps, then the next day, it'll run at 45fps after some huge debacle of a driver update. They also don't have to deal with price gouging for every PC component just because Nvidia decides they can double the price vs power because people will buy it anyway. No one needs to pay $1300 for a stupid video card. It's a good thing Sony and Microsoft went with AMD, and they also get them at cheaper bulk prices.

And like I said, Neo isn't officially announced and Scorpio hasn't shown anything. Scorpio could be $599, which makes sense for a 4k PC pricing. Neo could not even care about true 4k because they haven't even said anything yet, or they could have completely turned the table on the rumours and matched Scorpios specs and pricing. Who knows.

• @Whoaness A fair point, but still you have to take into account the sheer amount of GPU power needed to render at 4k. (for example, if you wanted to run a game at 4k 60 FPS, you'd need to be able to run it at 1080 240 FPS, or a GPU 4 times as powerful as one needed to run a game at 1080 60 FPS; for the sake of argument we're gonna pretend CPU bottlenecking isn't a thing in this hypothetical scenario) Hardware uniformity and a highly optimized low-level API can only mitigate that to a degree. It's not really a matter of optimization or consoles vs PC or etc., 4K truly IS demanding as fuck.

I honestly see native 1440 being a reasonable target, and even then that's a pretty big upgrade from 1080 (~1.78x the amount of total pixels) and thus no small feat. In the end though, only time will tell. All we can do until the details come out is speculate.

• Its not gonna be, but it's still a step up to what this gen should have been

my pc mostly can't play 4k on newer games and i spent quite a bit, i doubt that neo or scorpio can.

• @ChaosBahamut Depends on AMD's new cards. The $239 rx480 card is competing in power with Nvidia's $600 cards.

It can reach 4k with modest settings and FPS, so we can only imagine what the 490 can do.

• Yea I think native 4k is practically out of the question for big budget titles. And my HDTV along with many others, won't even be able to display a resolution higher than 1080p anyways. Both upgraded consoles though should easily be able to do north of 1080p. But I doubt there will be much if any games to speak of; that truly push Neo & Scorpio to its limits.

Neo has to retain some limitations of the earlier PS4 models. And while MS hasn't ruled out a developer making a Scorpio exclusive. They have enough trouble getting 1st and 2nd party games. Putting up the money for an absolute beast of a game spec wise. Will not be a great investment for a company whose looking for a return profit. Unless its just a PC port.

• If the leaks are to be believed, the whole point of the PS4k is not to PLAY at native 4k, but to be compatible with 4k tvs. There's new 4k blu rays and Sony sells a lot of 4k televisions. The games aren't going to be natively 4k for a long time, and the hardware available now isn't really capable of doing that at the current level of graphical fidelity for under $400 USD.

The PS4k is a relatively minor spec bump by basically overclocking the existing hardware a little, a new blu ray player, and the upgraded HDMI that supports 4k signal. Let's not assume it's remotely close to offering real 4k gaming. It'll probably upscale ok, but 4k TV's generally already do that.

• No one but ignorant youtube commenters actually expects them to render in 4K.

• I don't doubt that NEO can play in 4k, I mean - we're talking about SONY here. Ya know, the hardware king? Those guys.

• @Carlos I can't tell if this sarcastic or not.
    The Neo is already aging hardware. You aren't going to be getting 4k out of anything save pixelshit indie games.

• I'm pretty sure a GPU as powerful as the Scorpio claims to have can do 4K gaming. It's definitely not impossible. But I doubt most devs will use it for that. I bet most devs will target 1080p with higher visual fidelity and higher frame rates.

I imagine that any games running at 4K would be locked to 30fps

• @El-Shmiablo Aging hardware, and it's not even out? Please think about your statement.

• Neither machine will probably run games at true 4k, but I'm not really into that sort of thing anyway. Just take the extra juice and ensure rock solid framerates with all the bells and whistles.

• @Whoaness The specs have already been released, and the hardware included barely matches up to a mid-range PC.

Listen, I know you are excited about these new consoles, but this is always what happens.

• @El-Shmiablo They are not officially released for Neo, and Scorpio hasn't released complete details.

Stop thinking rumors amount to anything.

• I also had another thought. When Microsoft talked about their console and their specs and how powerful they were saying it was going to be. Do you think Sony thought we are going have to bump up the specs a bit from what they were going to be. DO you think Sony is too far in to the R&D for Neo for them to make the console a bit closer to power to the Scorpio ?

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.