Sekiro

• Why do you guys love Sekiro? Personally I enjoyed what I played of it but want to know what makes it GOTY material.

• I guess we really liked it.

• I don't love it but combat feels really tight, it wasn't my GOTY though.

• Despite having some of the Souls flavor, it's one of more novel gaming experiences of the last five years. Here are some reasons I personally loved Sekiro

• Personally, I liked how the RPG elements were sparse. ( Though I love RPG's, I think many games have overused those features. )
    • The mechanics, and the incentives to win battles at any cost and learn the game's mechanics were fun.
    • The story was fulfilling.
    • It's got a good amount of replayability.

• @crepe said in Sekiro:

Personally, I liked how the RPG elements were sparse.

Yeah, I like it when action-adventure games don't add too much RPG elements. It becomes boring.

• Lots of systems working intelligently together to deliver an extremely skill based combat system that is pretty simple at the core but also allows for lots of variety with all the shinobi prosthetic tools and with the varied opponents the game pits you against. Exploration allows high mobility, and you're encouraged to play dirty like a ninja would as part of the basic game concept. The heart is clashing blades, and the game constantly encourages you to stay locked into that action instead of other games where skirmish tactics are almost always safer and easy to fall into, but also you are taught to win by any means necessary. Beyond that, you have NPCs in the world to eavesdrop on to learn about things in the world to explore and a story that escalates the state of the world while all the time training you for a multilayered ultimate final clash at the end. The upgrade system allows you to lean into the tools you're most comfortable with or like best to get the most out of them. There's an NPC to spar against for safe practice of your techniques that has his own backstory for existing and eventually character conclusion that awards you a strange item that adds another optional layer to the battles that can become a deciding edge. Game doesn't overstay its welcome either, offering multiple endings to finish on for players investing different amounts in, and even the longest of these paths is much more boiled down to fresh scenarios instead of constantly retreading ground like a game such as Nioh does.

It is just an exhilarating journey, of course not as long and varied as the soulsborne games before it, but it wears this as a strength.