Vote for the forum's GOTY 2010!

• My list is in. If I pondered it too much longer, I might go mad.

I'm now starting my campaign for Battlefield Bad Company 2 to make your lists. For some reason, really great shooters get omitted from our GOTY Top 25 lists but I'm telling you, if you're not sure how to fill a slot, this game was amazing.

Obviously with any multiplayer shooter, the bread and butter is the nuance that could maybe be described perfectly by somebody more talented at writing than myself, but most of the time, it just has to be played for yourself to fully appreciate.

Considering that, I'm not going to focus on the feel of the game, the balance of guns, and all that. I'm just going to list points that I think make it a GOTY contender and also a game changer:

PC Quality on Consoles

Battlefield was always a PC dominant franchise and through the power of 360 and PS3, and the work and finesse of the Frostbite Engine, DICE managed to bring a PC quality shooter onto consoles for the first time ever. It wasn't a watered down version of the PC game, it was the exact same game with minor differences.

This introduced console players to an entirely new experience of a massive scale multiplayer battle. Not only this, but the presentation in this game was world class. In fact, BFBC2 cleaned house at various industry awards shows for its audio design

Meaningful Destruction

Other games had destructibility, but in BFBC2, you didn't have to think about what is and isn't destructible when almost everything on the map can be destroyed. You can flatline entire buildings, you can radio in an airstrike on an enemy tank, you can sneak up on enemy vehicles and plant C4.

But think about this - BFBC2 had this destructibility in an online competitive multiplayer game. The netcode worked fantastic. Everything was 1:1, with no noticeable lag. You could flatline a multiplayer map with a high graphical fidelity and no hiccups. That's still amazing by today's standards.

Not only was is impressive but it changed tactics and I think this is where BFBC2 shined the most and left an industry wide influence. The "Rush" mode involved one team attacking two targets, and the other defending them. Some of these targets were in very destructible areas meaning the attackers could just flatline a building and be done with it. That meant in some Rush maps, the defenders couldn't just have a meta-strategy of hiding in one spot every time because the offence could just destroy the target from a distance. By this, a good defence often meant a strong offence to protect the target. In the end, no two games of Rush mode were the same.

Nowadays, any shooter worth anything has destruction in some form. I think of the influence BFBC2 had on games like Rainbow 6 Siege where destruction just brings another degree of tactics pushing the genre forward.

Unique Map Design

An online shooter lives and dies by its map design. Some arena shooters like Halo have iconic maps that are both large and small. Some entries in popular franchises are panned by fans because they didn't have any interesting maps. BFBC2 has some of the most interesting maps in the series and I don't think any game has made maps like this since.

In BFBC2, one Rush map feels like a story. You have to plant a bomb and destroy two targets before the map opens up into a new area and you have to destroy 2 more targets. This makes one map feel like 3-4 maps all in one.

Take the map "Africa Harbor"

• It starts in a military base and progresses into a battle in a quaint harbor town.

• Next it moves into a railway with a cargo bridge creating chokepoint. Now the map goes from open to closed with CQC.

• Finally, it winds down on the shore of harbor at a massive industrial shipping area. Here the map opens up again.

This is one example of many great map designs in BFBC2. Keep this in mind as a comparison; Zipper Interactive's "MAG" released in 2010 and nobody remembers that game despite 120 people fighting on a massive battlefield map. It's because the maps were these copy-n-paste fragmented sections with empty space between generic battle areas with little to no art direction.

By contrast, a BFBC2 map unfolds like a good novel. I have never seen something like that in games since BFBC2, including other BF games.

• @dipset The main thing I remember from BFBC2 is how Rush was this incredible new game mode that captured my attention for a few weeks. It was like discovering Search and Destroy from Modern Warfare all over again.

In my opinion Rush is one of Battlefield's finest exports.

• @hazz3r

I think Rush in BFBC2 was a top contender of my best gameplay experiences last gen. Rush in Battlefield 3 was also very good, but the limited destruction and faster time to kill in BF3 made it feels slightly different and less exciting.

You call Rush mode an export but did any other games copy it? I wish they did copy Rush mode because it's incredible, but I'm surprised more games didn't run away with it.

• @dipset
    War Mode in Call of Duty World War 2 takes a lot of inspiration from Rush. That’s the main one I think of. Didn’t Battlefront also use it.

• We've now reached 28 voters, but things have slowed down, so it's time for me to send a reminder to the usual participants, and newcomers who may not be familiar with this!

@Ringedwithtile @Faaip @A7X458 @Capnbobamous @Danjin44 @Hidz @tokeeffe9 @Exist-2-Inspire @El-Shmiablo @DMCMaster @DeimosClay @SunPraiser @Alex840 @Kristen-Rogers @binarymelon @MiserablePerson @Mbun @Minamik @parasitepaladin @jipostus @Bigdude1 @TheMarcV @kevboard @FerrisK96 @Ikataishou @bam541 @iboshow @Inustar @DemonSwordsman @BullToad @Ksomic-Wolf @Gurrzilla @Terence369 @sonmi @Asbestos @NeoCweeny @Scotty @HappyGaming @Zindenga @Jamicov @Mew2King @Atbir-Aimad

...and anyone else who's interested.

Please read the rules in the first post of this thread, and send me your votes if you'd like :)

Thanks to everyone who's voted already!

• I just happened to feel like checking in. Sure I shall give it a go!

13 games for me to rank! How fun.

• Nice one, loads of good memories there

• 2010 is a good year. Not necessarily the greatest year of games but a bunch of games I really liked. My first run has 13 games in there... need to work on this

• @shoulderguy

I just watched it and wow! They didn't even nominate GoW III!

• This is the first time that it is really tough to put together a Top 8, will have to leave off some games i really like and enjoyed playing. Honestly though Alpha Protocol should win this. :P

• A family friend did freelance coding on Alpha Protocol back when @Exist-2-Inspire

Told me Obsidian are hard workers but they just didn’t have any solid gigs at the time other than South Park. Crazy how far they’ve come.

• I want to give a shout out to Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions. It narrowly missed my list, but it's still my favorite Spider-Man game, and played a big role in Spider Noir and Miguel O'Hara becoming as popular as they are today.

• @capnbobamous Noooo! I mean, it didn't miss my list. But it'll propably miss our master list. A super fun game to play, even more so as a Spidey fan.

• New update: I've now received 37 votes, spread between 82 different games!

We've got exactly 25 games at 8 points or over, so technically we've got a top 25 already secured, but each new vote can switch it up (there are 9 games between 8 and 10 points).

Please keep voting and shake things up! i'll probably close the votes at the end of the weekend.

• 40 votes now, keep it up keep it up!

• I'll end the votes tomorrow so final chance for those who haven't voted yet :)

• Banned

I'm so sorry I'll get right on this.
    Had a crazy past couple days. Some crazy guy on Facebook figured out where I work and called my job to report me for "dubious comments" because I blew him the fuck out in a comments section regarding The Last of Us 2 and queer visibility in videogames.
    Yeah... still blown away that that shit happened.

Fortunately my boss and I just had a good laugh at how crazy people on Facebook can be so I'm not too worried about it. Still absolutely insane that people have to put up with this kind of shit in 2020.

• @el-shmiablo Damn, that's one hell of a piece of shit right there.

• Banned

@bam541 I know, right?
    FYI I've narrowed my list down to 14 games and I'll get it done by today. Sorry for the wait!

• @el-shmiablo Was it Acid Trip 69