Video Game 180's

• When I played Final Fantasy XV I experienced several 180s a session. I jokingly call it my favorite game that I hate, because damn is there so much to love in there mixed in with a bunch of shit. It is still one of my favorite games ever, but I despise the dungeons, plot holes and forced stealth sections, and Noctis is a real douche.

• @capnbobamous I'm not saying Noctis wasn't dumb but does he honestly come to mind as the most unbearable character before Prompto?

• Final Fantasy XIII. Played it for maybe an hour and shelved it. Played a few weeks later at a buddy's house and threw it in my PS3 as soon as I got home. Loved it from there on.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Oh for sure. Frankly I don't get the hate for Prompto. Sure he's a little dumb, but he's harmless. Noctis is just a straight up dick.

• Not for a game, but my biggest 180 on a series would be for God of War.

I tried playing the first 3 console games but nothing about the gameplay or story in those early God of War games did anything for me. So I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed God of War 2018. It was my GOTY for that year.

• @bard91 This reminds me. I've never played the first Ni No Kuni but I had a similar reaction to Ni No Kuni 2. It had such a strong opening with:

Roland, who appears to be the President of the United States. Is in New York, when suddenly a nuke goes off. Then you see Roland transported to this fantasy world holding a handgun.

Then Ni No Kuni 2 almost immediately forgets that moment happened and goes for a more generic story line for the rest of the game.

• I had double 180s with Yakuza 0. I really loved the first few hours of the game (mostly due to some memorable side quests), but as I got closer to chapter 10, the game just started to annoy me. I guess the story didn't really grab me in those parts, and the combat also felt really repetitive. After chapter 10, I dropped the game for months. Earlier this year I went back with a fresh mind and I started to like the game again for what it is. I finished it too.

• Final Fantasy X.
    That opening was fantastic. When the metal music kicks in during the Blitzball cinematic I was rocking the fuck out... but then the game keeps going, and the story gets less and less sensical, and the characters become more and more annoying, until I've finished the game 24 hours later and I ask myself what the actual fuck I just experienced.
    It was so bad that I didn't play a Square Enix game for about 7 years.

• AC - Odyysey: At first graphics and Greece took my attention, upgrading was inquisitive and story was good; after a couple of hours I got bored of it, especially map size and extreme amount of things on the map killed my joy before I put even 10 hours in it.

Inside: It was fun and I was curious about the story, gameplay was very smooth; after 2 hours I was like ''We get it, you are so mysterious; finish already'' for the rest of it.

My Friend Pedro: So cool to do action movie scenes like Matrix, using pans, gore etc. It's not fun anymore after you see most of it in 2 hours and play the repetitive parts for the rest of it. Ending was also meh.

• Not sure if this is exactly what you're going for, but -

Okami: I keep giving this game a shot because I love the aesthetic, music, central gimmick, and general tone of the story, but I never make it past the first town because for some reason the controls just don't click with me. Amaterasu and the camera both feel really loose to me. Each time I start I tell myself, "this will be the time everything clicks," and then invariably I drop it shortly after I learn how to restore trees.

• @naltmank said in Video Game 180's:

Not sure if this is exactly what you're going for, but -

Okami: I keep giving this game a shot because I love the aesthetic, music, central gimmick, and general tone of the story, but I never make it past the first town because for some reason the controls just don't click with me. Amaterasu and the camera both feel really loose to me. Each time I start I tell myself, "this will be the time everything clicks," and then invariably I drop it shortly after I learn how to restore trees.

Indeed. Okami looks wonderful, but the mechanics are unintuitive, and the gameplay flow is repetitive.

• Fallout 4 for me. Started promisingly but soon dragged

• @asbestos Also this.
    I enjoyed the first few hours but then I ran into a few quests I seemingly NEEDED lock picking for to progress, which is something I hadn't invested any points into nor wanted to, and hard quit.

• @shoulderguy never played NNK2 because I had no hopes for it and seeing the reception it had from like minded people that was the right call.

• I'd say Tony Hawk has had the best 180's followed by Skate, then maybe Kelly Slaters Pro Surfer

• @dmcmaster California Games has to be top 5

• The Last of Us. The first ten minutes are 10/10, the rest is a big old meh.

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    Nah, California Games is somewhere lower around 10.

• My friends and I were only 13 when Mass Effect came out and we didn’t get the hype. We rented in on Xbox 360 and we hated the shooting, we felt like the story was so cliched, and we didn’t find any of the side quests interesting. It was also pretty janky time to time. We called it Mass Defect like the little twirps we were.

In 2012 I replayed ME1 when the trilogy went on sale and I really loved it as I sunk my teeth into the world. The plot is still extremely generic but I really enjoyed getting into the world.

However, I’ve never come around on the series as a whole. Mass Effect 2 lost me when it recycled the exact same plot and just made new planets to explore.

• @dipset As somebody who got into the series with 2 on PS3 and only went back to play 1 years after the fact when I finally got the trilogy on PC, 1 is a very unintuitive mess and, yeah, I felt like I was just repeating the same beats I'd already experienced with 2.
    I'm hoping the rumored remaster brings 1 up to speed with the rest of the series gameplay wise.