5 of your favorite video game subtitles

• By that, I don't mean dialogue captions. I mean those extra words that follow a video game title. It's sometimes unnecessary, but hey there's a lot of good ones out there. I like to list just 5 of them right now, but you can go crazy with it if you want. Also, there's no strict criteria for this. I personally just rank them based mostly on how "cool" they are.

1. Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
    2. Capcom vs SNK 2: Mark of the Millenium 2001
    3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    4. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

• This is an interesting topic. Personally, the five that stand out are (in no real order):

1.) Fall of Man (Resistance)
    2.) Zero Dawn (Horizon)
    3.) The Old Blood (Wolfenstein)
    4.) Fallen Order (Star Wars Jedi)
    5.) Burning Skies (Resistance)

But special shout outs to the Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted franchises with their subtitles.

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

• @brannox said in 5 of your favorite video game subtitles:

2.) Zero Dawn (Horizon)

As Bloodworth recently pointed out though on the betting special, that's not a subtitle.
    It's not 'Horizon: Zero Dawn', but 'Horizon Zero Dawn'

A technicality, sure, but true none the less!

1: El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
    2: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    3: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    4: Sword of the Berzerk: Guts' Rage
    5: Rival Schools: United By Fate

I forgot about Tactics Ogre. Man, that's too good.

• @tokyoslim A pox I say on technicality!... In all seriousness, this could potentially be proven one way or another tomorrow if the next Horizon is announced.

• @brannox I guess we'll see.

• The definitive #1 greatest subtitle ever goes to Fiddy and it'll never be topped.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

• Sluggish Morss: A Delicate Time in History
    My Summer Vacation Portable: The Secret of Dr. Steamy and the Summit Mountain!!
    Macross: My Boyfriend is a Pilot 2012
    UFO: A Day in the Life
    and I also like it when the title becomes the subtitle, like The Beatles: Rock Band, or Silent Line: Armored Core

1. Doom 2: Hell on Earth
    2. Touhou Koumakyou: The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
    3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    4. EVO: The Search for Eden
    5. Ys 3: Wanderers from Ys

Honorable mentions because they are cool but strictly speaking don't count as the title of the game:

• Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    • Doom episode 1 "Knee Deep in the Dead"

• @tokyoslim said in 5 of your favorite video game subtitles:

I forgot about Tactics Ogre. Man, that's too good.

I wish my PSP didn't break before I get to play that game more than an hour.

@ringedwithtile said in 5 of your favorite video game subtitles:

Macross: My Boyfriend is a Pilot 2012

Is the "2012" really necessary? That's a good one, lol.

Also, I just remembered that a lot of games have alternate subtitles for different regions. For example, Ace Combat 4's subtitle in Europe is Distant Thunder, which sounds hella ominous.

• @chocobop I have to agree, OG Doom had wicked subtitles. "Shores of Hell" was good too.

• I just remembered that the Castlevania games are a treasure trove of great subtitles. Symphony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance, Portrait of Ruin, the list goes on.

• Order of Eclessia has to be high up in my list, it just has a very nice ring to it., also Lacrimosa of Dana.

• Shout out to Yakuza 6: The Song Of Life

• Horizon: Forbidden West is a good one!

• Guerrilla is gonna just annoy the hell out of people by making titles that sound like they have a colon in them, but never do.
    This game is also subtitle-less.

• @tokyoslim Nah sorry, time to admit it, Zero Dawn was a subtitle, Horizon is the name of the series ;)

• @axel a subtitle is a specific thing format wise. You can argue that it's a subtitle because of the graphic design of those words literally being placed below "Horizon" on the cover, thus being literally sub-title - but as far as a proper subtitle, it is not one. You have to separate the Title and the Subtitle, or it's all just a title. :)

Subtitle - Twelfth Night, or What You Will
    Subtitle - Mario Kart: Super Circuit
    Not a subtitle - Die Hard With a Vengeance

• Whether or not it meets the definition, "Zero Dawn" is what we might call a de facto subtitle. That is, most people have treated it as such (whether due to misunderstanding or perhaps due to a want for a proper subtitle).

• I mean, it's a defacto subtitle because it should be one. They are treating it like it is one. It's not, it's just awkwardly titled. All that aside... they did what they did and it's over now. :)