The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• 2010 was diverse!

Deep into the PS360 generation, new IPs still managed to emerge, as well as sequels to beloved series. They were hit and miss, and as a result we got a total of 86 games nominated, our second-highest ever!

There were 43 participants, which is awesome, our fourth-highest total, so thanks a lot to all of you!

Now let's dive in!

• Battlefield: Bad Company 2

#25. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (DIPSET)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    HM: 3 (Nimbat1003, Lotias, Zanarkand)

Information

Release date: March 2 [US], March 5 [EU]
    Developer: EA DICE
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Ok, 2010. Here we go!

Battlefield Bad Company (and subsequently this sequel) is the Battlefield game(s) I've heard the most positive talk about, solely on the namesake. I'm not personally into how Battlefield controls, but I've always appreciated their destruction physics. For as much Bad Company as a subseries of Battlefield is lauded, I'm actually a little surprised there hasn't been a Bad Company 3 (I think there was a couple of E3s where there were calls for it. And then I remember: Oh. Right. EA. I legitimately think bringing back Bad Company would be a good PR beat for EA, but I don't think they will. And for posterity, EA Play 2020 is coming in less than a week, so we could see what's next for the franchise pretty soon.

• Well, they basically just took Bad Company and turned it into the main series, starting with Battlefield 3. I do think part of the reason people like it is the humour of the main campaign though.

I like Bad Company 2 an awful lot. I was encouraged to get it after the numerous hours me and my friends had spent playing Battlefield 1943 the year before. As said before, Rush mode was a game changer. It was Call of Duty's Domination gamemode on steroids. It was incredibly satisfying to find a decent sniper nest and knock off 10 tickets from the opposing team. And equally, storming the objective with a sniper, Saving Private Ryan style, was always really fulfilling when you were able to open the path for your team mates.

Like Call of Duty, I think one of Bad Company 2's main strengths was that it was a fun solo experience, as well as one with friends. I think it, more than any other game, had found what made Call of Duty 4 special and managed to morph it into something new and interesting.

Should be much higher, but 2010 had some good games I reckon.

• I actually had to remove this from my list despite being probably one of my most played games of that generation.
    It just got so much of the dynamics right about the series. I remember playing the beta and running up a hill only a for a tank to pull up directly infront of me, causing my soldier to yell exactly what I was thinking: "Holy fuck! A fucking tank!"
    Other than lacking the ability to go fully prone, this is probably the ideal Battlefield experience, at least in my opinion. High point for the series.

• Never played it but always heard good thing about it.

• Yay! We did the right thing and put a multiplayer shooter on this list.

BFBC2 is definitely GOTY material and also one of my most played games last generation. The DNA from this game made it into the others but there is something special about the fully destructive environments and the original perfection of Rush mode that made this lightening in a bottle.

I hope DICE / EA can bring this series back eventually but I don’t have high hopes. The humour also worked its way into the online battlefield too. Some of the things people automatically yell out are hilarious.

• I considered voting for this but I only played the campaign of this game, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I never got to play the multiplayer. I didn't have good internet back when I had this game and I can't download the "big" 2 gigabyte patch, it would take legit one day to download that with my old internet.

• @bam541 That seems so insane to me now.
    Like I had to download a 20GB patch the other day for Modern Warfare and it only took 20 minutes.

• @el-shmiablo I know right? Even with the average quality internet that I have right now, it's leagues ahead of the old shit I used to have.

• @bam541
    PS3 game gets a big update: guess I'll play it tomorrow.
    PS4 game gets a big update: guess I'll go make a sandwich.

• I remember being so excited for SOCOM Confrontation to release in 2008. Who else remembers those in-game updates for PS3 exclusives? Where say, COD4 would update through normal means, a game like SOCOM, MAG, Warhawk, would have this long downloading bar in-game where you couldn't use the XMB or do absolutely anything else until it finishes.

Well between SOCOM Confrontation launching as a broken mess, that awful PSN download screen never working properly, and my internet being slow as shit, I think it took me like a week to get that game running. And then it was still broken for like 4 months after that.

We're living the dream right now.

• StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

#24. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Lotias)
    #3: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (Brandon_Reister, MiserablePerson)

Information

Release date: July 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
    Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
    Genre: Real-time strategy
    Platform(s): Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• This, just barely, didn't make my list. Such a fun, well balanced RTS to play. Really enjoyed the co-op time I put into it as well. The whole SC2 series just feels nice.

• I enjoy Starcraft, but I barely played 2 and remember there being a negative stigma around it.

• Strategy games intimidate me like no other genre, so Starcraft is a 'never-gunna-play' for that (and other) reason(s). But kudos for StarCraft for being probably one of the first live service games and one that's still popular today. Say what you will about Blizzard, but the fact several of their games are still going show how enduring they are.

• I never got into the competitive online side of SC2, which is where I think the "intimidation" comes into play but the campaign was delightful, and very replayable.

• @capnbobamous It's a video game, of course there was. :)

• Global Moderator

Oh wow! I definitely thought both these games would end up higher on the list!

Bad Company 1 and 2 had some really fun campaigns and the characters gave me a lot of laughs and good times. I also ended up spending about 200 hours in Bad Company 2's multiplayer with some friends - good times.

StarCraft 2 I also played A LOT. Been a fan of the series since the first game and with the second instalment I ended up playing a lot of multiplayer. At first it was really intimidating and hard work, but learning different strategies and see myself becoming better and better it was so much fun. Even followed the E-sport scene of it for a few years. Even though I would say the next expansion, Heart of the Swarm added even more to the muliplayer side of things.