The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• The sequel's ridiculous trailers got me interested in trying out the series as a whole. I'll probably try out the sequel for myself, but I don't know whether I should actually play this one or watch Ian and Don's playthrough.

• The only thing I've heard about Deadly Premonition is it's a 'polar' game where people who've played it (mostly) are in two camps: Absolutely love it or absolutely hate it. For all the talk about it (and the out of nowhere announcement of the sequel), I don't I've ever really seen gameplay. Still, I believe this is the first entry on the list to have gotten multiple GOTY votes, so it does SOMETHING right.

• I want to love this game so much, and there is a lot in there that I do love, but the combat is so bad that I just can't get through it. I read somewhere that Swery originally didn't want combat in the game but was forced to put it in, and it kind of feels like it.

• @sazime said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!:

Never played it, but I watched an LP that the SBFs did a while back, and I can see why people love it. I'm curious if the voters played around release or later on.

I bought it on the 360 about three months after it released here which actually made it 2011 for me for my first playthrough (Birth by Sleep was my GOTY when I compiled my top 10 back in 2010). The PS3 and Switch versions I picked up day one though, I just love it that much.

• I really like the Whistle Theme in Deadly Premonition.

Youtube Video

• Nier

#14. Nier - 13 points

Votes

#1: 2 (bard91, DemonPirate)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Sheria)
    HM: 1 (paulmci27)

Information

Release date: April 23 [EU], April 27 [US]
    Developer: Cavia
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action role-playing, Hack and slash
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I played a lot of Nier Automata, but generally have always thought the first Nier looked more appealing. Platinum combat has never really been my cup of tea. I'm super stoked to play the remake when it comes out!

What sorts of changes were made to Automata from this one?

• One more game I had and started but could not bring myself to finish. Just like 3D Dot Game Heroes, I didn't hate Nier. It just didn't give me the itch and I eventually just didn't go back to it.

• I didn't really know of the original Nier until the E3 press conference where Square announced they were working on what we would eventually learn to be Automata. I just went back to see if I what I said about Automata in our 2017 thread still applies, and it does:

• "there are some things about it that appeal, primarily soundtrack and aesthetic design, but with certain concepts, I just didn't really see the personal push needed for me to try it. A couple of my turnoffs are having multiple endings and, while a neat idea, the switch up of play styles made this confusing as to how this game plays."

But, in addition to this, I think if you play this a certain way, it'll like completely wipe your save/profile, or permanently remember a choice I think? An interesting concept that Undertale made even more popular from its Genocide runs, but still pretty neat.

• I am holding off on Neir until the Remake. I’ve heard Ben speak about this game enough to know that it’s something I’ve very intrigued by, but I don’t want to play. Same goes for the rest of the Drakengard series or whatever it’s called.

It’s funny cause there are so many average 5-7/10 ranged Japanese titles I’m intrigued by but can’t bring myself to try them like Dynasty Warriors Orochi or whatever it’s called.

• I absolutely loved Nier. Along with Alpha Protocol though, I also remember it as a time when I really started seeing how picky gamers were starting to become. The game didn't get a lot of advertisement or coverage, most online knew it only as 'that game where the woman swears in the trailer' so I saw a lot of people simply assume that it's nothing special. The rest of comments I saw were people simply ragging on it for apparently looking like a PS2 game.

I personally picked it up day one and it was such a magical experience for me. I had been listening to the soundtrack for a while prior to its release and that assisted in my excitement to finally play the game. It can be a bit of a slow burner at times but the game binds such a wide range of genres into one (including text adventure) so well that there's always something new coming your way and the story is fantastic.

• I think I'm beginning to realize 2010 was full of weird, wonderful games.

• Never played it but loved automata and am excited for the remake of neir.

• @nimbat1003 I stopped my playthrough of the PS3 release when I heard news of that. :)

• Nier was never even on my radar. The first time I head of it was when people started talking about Automata.

• I truly believe very few games, if any, do what the Nier franchise does so perfectly. Automate was my GOTY so it's no surprise this is my first choice as well. I played through Nier immediately after beating Automata. While not everything is as ideal as Automata was, I think Nier does a couple stuff even better. For one, I love the characters way more in this installment than in Automata's. I think that say's a lot. Kainé is such a wonderfully written character that I can't wait for people to experience her story in the "upgraded version".
    Also, I just want to bring up the combat and how weirdly it keeps on getting bashed. I never even realized the combat was an issue in the game until I started reading people's thoughts online. I see where they're coming from, but it was never a personal flaw for me. If I reaaally wanted to nitpick, then sure, the combat isn't as fleshed out as it should've been. But I'd never call it "bad".

Anyways, Nier is such an overlooked gem and I'm so glad Automata was a hit and gave this game the spotlight it deserves.
    Can't wait for the port/remaster/remake/reimagining/upgraded version!

• I love the soundtracks of the Nier games, but have never played any of them. Hoping to rectify that somewhat soon, though

• Nier is the game one of the two games that have had absolutely wrecked me while playing it, it has flaws pretty much everywhere, but man does it still manage to be just fantastic.

• Probably in my top 5 soundtracks ever. worth the price alone. The game has such a melancholic atmosphere. Yoko Taro is a flawed genius just like his games. I'd take this janky shit over a soulless cookie cutter ubisoft AAA game.