The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• I think I'm beginning to realize 2010 was full of weird, wonderful games.

• Never played it but loved automata and am excited for the remake of neir.

• @nimbat1003 I stopped my playthrough of the PS3 release when I heard news of that. :)

• Nier was never even on my radar. The first time I head of it was when people started talking about Automata.

• I truly believe very few games, if any, do what the Nier franchise does so perfectly. Automate was my GOTY so it's no surprise this is my first choice as well. I played through Nier immediately after beating Automata. While not everything is as ideal as Automata was, I think Nier does a couple stuff even better. For one, I love the characters way more in this installment than in Automata's. I think that say's a lot. Kainé is such a wonderfully written character that I can't wait for people to experience her story in the "upgraded version".
    Also, I just want to bring up the combat and how weirdly it keeps on getting bashed. I never even realized the combat was an issue in the game until I started reading people's thoughts online. I see where they're coming from, but it was never a personal flaw for me. If I reaaally wanted to nitpick, then sure, the combat isn't as fleshed out as it should've been. But I'd never call it "bad".

Anyways, Nier is such an overlooked gem and I'm so glad Automata was a hit and gave this game the spotlight it deserves.
    Can't wait for the port/remaster/remake/reimagining/upgraded version!

• I love the soundtracks of the Nier games, but have never played any of them. Hoping to rectify that somewhat soon, though

• Nier is the game one of the two games that have had absolutely wrecked me while playing it, it has flaws pretty much everywhere, but man does it still manage to be just fantastic.

• Probably in my top 5 soundtracks ever. worth the price alone. The game has such a melancholic atmosphere. Yoko Taro is a flawed genius just like his games. I'd take this janky shit over a soulless cookie cutter ubisoft AAA game.

• Interesting list so far. I'm surprised that so many of these games came out in 2010. A lot of them don't feel ten years old.

• Vanquish

#13. Vanquish - 14 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #3: 0
    #4: 3 (Lotias, Tearju Engi, NeoCweeny)
    HM: 4 (Phbz, Sheria, DIPSET, bam541)

Information

Release date: October 19 [US], October 22 [EU]
    Developer: PlatinumGames
    Publisher: Sega
    Genre: Action, Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• One of the most unique third person shooters ever made, IMO. I remember seeing this first on my old gaming magazine, and being in awe because of the screenshots. It's one of those games that just got me interested instantly. When I got to play it, it's as fun as I imagined it would be. Honestly, it's a bit too crazy for my younger self. I remember dying a lot and being in total confusion regarding the story the whole time. Excited to try it out again someday, now that it's available on PS4. Also, I would love to see Platinum approach this kind of gameplay again, as someone who likes shooters way more than hack-and-slash stuff.

• This is one of those games that I said "yeah i'll get to that" when I first heard about it and here we are a decade later and I still haven't gotten to it. I don't have any real excuse, call me again in ten more years maybe then I'll have played it.

• This is a pretty weird list. lol

I'm diggin it.

• Global Moderator

Vanquish is such a good game! bought it on release back in the day and played it and got all trophies except for 1 which I just couldnt do. I wanted to put the game higher on my list but 2010 just had so many darn good games so put it where I did. Oh also, if you haven already, you can buy the remaster on PS4 now :D

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!:

This is a pretty weird list. lol

I'm diggin it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This is the first list that, at this point, I haven't played any of the games. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is also completely new to me.

• I played the Vanquish demo and it felt very MGS with the talking heads in the corner. Then all of the FX, music, and wild sliding around happens and I was totally in. Picked it up used at the game store and I loved it. It’s just too short but it was a good time.

• Vanquish is another one of those games I've heard so much about and the combo of Shinji Mikami working with Platinum on it is wild. Sliding around with all the over the top action seems both frantic and fun, but its aesthetic is a bit of a turnoff. However, looking at the critical reception, I think this one of the best examples of a "cult classic" I've ever seen.

Not many outlets reviewed it, but those that have praise it quite a bit, and our list is making me realize 2010 had special one-off games like this, Enslaved, and Nier, though the latter eventually got a sequel, and Deadly Premonition has one coming. Makes me curious as to why Vanquish and Enslaved didn't receive sequels. Probably because of sales would be my guess.

• I loved playing the first level of this game, but I was horrible at it. Everything was so fast and there was so much going on it was sort of overstimulating. I feel like I'd have more fun if I were watching a buddy play it, but maybe I just need to play a little more and get into the rhythm.

• Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

#12. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - 14 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Brannox, Sheria)
    #3: 2 (FF7Cloud, Jamicov)
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: September 7 [US], September 10 [EU]
    Developer: Square Enix
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PSP

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I guess I totally missed that Vanquish came out that year.
    Fuck.
    Would have totally been high in my list if I hadn't been a blind asshole.

Absolutely fantastic game and some of the best character action you can get. Rocket knees, slow mo, big fuck off enemies that shoot a bajillion rockets at you. Absurd in the best possible way.
    Plus how you gonna not love a game that has a button dedicated to lighting up a new cigar.