The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• I guess I totally missed that Vanquish came out that year.
    Fuck.
    Would have totally been high in my list if I hadn't been a blind asshole.

Absolutely fantastic game and some of the best character action you can get. Rocket knees, slow mo, big fuck off enemies that shoot a bajillion rockets at you. Absurd in the best possible way.
    Plus how you gonna not love a game that has a button dedicated to lighting up a new cigar.

• I played all Kingdom Hearts games for the first time last year. And Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep was so brutally difficult that I almost dropped it (crafting EXP Walker and leaving characters running circle for 10 hours saved it for me). And this is really unfortunate, because even through it feels outdated just like every other game before 2.8, it was probably the most interesting in terms of plot and characters.

• Birth by Sleep was a revelation for me in my Kingdom Hearts fandom. The first game where you didn't play as Sora, AND taking place before (at the time) any other game in the series, having to play the same main story arc from three different perspectives was interesting. Also, getting to see the beginning, middle, and end of a particular world's story from said perspectives was really neat as well, though when you take a look at the timeline on the main menu, the timing in visiting these worlds seem out of order. But I digress...

The command deck was an interesting way to get around the shortcut menu and combat system on a portable device and while I don't have a problem with it, I do prefer the series with a legitimate controller. Getting to see certain Disney classics was interesting, though I prefer some of the more modern selections from the mainline games.

Seeing as how THIS game would turn out to be the secret movie from Kingdom Hearts II was surprising for it to be a PSP game, but it's probably the most important Kingdom Hearts game in the whole series that is NOT the main trilogy. One final thing I actually like is the monopoly-like mini-game where you can powerup your commands and earn items so you can fuse them for even more powerful attacks. In terms of difficulty, the order recommended to play is start with Terra, move on to Ventus, then finish with Aqua, so when you go to the first world as Terra, there's a chest that's difficult to get to, but if you get it just right, you can ultimately obtain MegaFlare and be OP for the rest of his campaign.

There are some things I don't like, for example the Mirage Arena (which is this game's version of the Olympus Coliseum), Disney Town, D-Links, and a couple of story beats, but overall, Birth by Sleep is always a fun time to play. Sadly, because I'm terrible at games, I've never been good enough to play the Secret episode, only watch it on YouTube, but all in all, there's so much here that's really good. My second favorite PSP game behind Crisis Core, and one of the best Kingdom Hearts games overall.

Shoutouts to @FF7Cloud, @Jamicov, and @Sheria for enjoying Birth by Sleep to the point of giving it votes!

• Personally, Birth By Sleep is one of my least favorite entries in the series. It sounds weird to say, but I feel like this was the entry that got too convoluted for me. I could follow everything going on with 2, but there was so much lore and things going on with Birth By Sleep that I can't actually articulate what happened with the plot or characters anymore. I think I was also really missing areas that felt inhabited too. I love going around towns and talking to NPCs, but BBS was basically all combat in barren areas save for Disney Town. I did really like the ideas in combat where you level up different abilities and create new ones, but by the time I was partway through a world the second time with a different character I just wasn't having as much fun with it anymore. Which is a shame, because I really want to like it. I know there is a lot this game sets up in terms of story for the future, but generally prequels that shoehorn new characters in as the most important characters in the story's universe we have never heard of or mentioned before bothers me a lot.

As divisive as this game is though, I know it's not a bad game, it just isn't for me. I don't want to bash on it or anything. Just left a bad taste in my mouth in the end.

• This along with all of the other spinoffs is what made me lose complete interest in KH as franchise, and seeing the reception of 3 of people after the hype died down make not regret it even a little bit.

• Hey, I was beginning if none of the games I voted for made it in! I love Birth By Sleep. It definitely is the turning point of the series into the "wait, what?" kind of story, but I still really appreciated how much of a breath of fresh air it was to introduce new protagonists and establish more of the Kingdom Hearts world before Sora comes into the fold. I think Terra, Ventus, and Aqua are all great characters in their own right, getting Xehanort more fleshed out was pretty cool (especially with Leonard Nimoy's performance), and playing through the secret ending of KH2 was amazing. I can't imagine how many times I watched that FMV on YouTube back in the day.

Even though it's not a numbered game, I barely count BBS as a spinoff, really the only differentiator is that it uses a different combat system than 1, 2, and 3 (and it being on PSP, but whatever). I'll always prefer the combat of 2 and 3, but I still really liked the command system. It gives you access to some cool, unique moves that don't show up anywhere else, and even though you probably need a guide to figure out how to create some of them, I don't hold that against the game too much.

When I was going back to get the platinum trophy in each KH game, this was definitely the one that I realized had my least favorite side content. I couldn't really get behind the monopoly thing, the minigames were all kinda so-so, and I thought the Mirage Arena was fine, but didn't have the same charm as the Olympus Coliseum tournaments. But overall, I still respect the hell out of the things this game tried, how it built out the KH universe, and I'm also just a sucker for how bittersweet the story is in this one.

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

#11. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 15 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (Sentinel Beach, Hazz3r)
    #4: 2 (Zanarkand, El Shmiablo)
    HM: 5 (ffff0, Lotias, DIPSET, Scotty, Exist 2 Inspire)

Information

Release date: November 16 [US], November 19 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Action-adventure, Stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood just missed making my top 8. If Mount & Blade Warband would have been ineligible for 2010, than AC Brotherhood would have been my next choice. AC2 is my favorite game in the series and AC Brotherhood was an excellent follow up to that game. Happy to see it make the list.

• The fact that I'm not sure if this the game that I played or if it was Revelations (whichever was the third one chronologically) says everything to me towards my feelings of this series, I just don't care and I have no idea which memories I have are of AC2 or the other game I played, and the fact that I know the series currently has nothing to do with the modern story stuff which was my main interest, makes me feel perfectly fine with this.

• I kind of alluded to this during our 2012 thread when discussing Assassin's Creed III, but when I played the first game of the franchise, I didn't really enjoy it all that much. As such I let the franchise go by with next to no interest, so I can't speak on Brotherhood. I think this was the first was the first to introduce multiplayer to the franchise, but knowing this was part of the Ezio trilogy when I didn't play AC II or Revelations had me skip it.

• Vanquish and brotherhood almost made the cut for me but I can't really separate brotherhood from 2 much I I remember liking that alot more, and while vanquish was fun it was a one afternoon game for me, though I have been itching to replay it on pc from memory the ps3 version had issues.

• It's my #8 because I had to put some game in this slot and I can't say anything bad about Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I can't say anything good either. If I remember correctly going through motions wasn't bad back then, so it probably deserves to be my #8.

• Vanquish is amazing game. Only dowsides are its lenght=enemy/environment variations=it wasn't enough.
    Also you had to pay if you wanted that special weapons or something. Tri-weapon pack. Think it was a pre-order bonus and later could be bought

• Maybe it's because it was 10 years ago, and I've had a lot of time, but I think this might be the highest number of games I've played on one of these lists.

• AC Brotherhood was originally meant to be DLC follow on to Assassin's Creed 2, however, it grew and grew and grew until it became a fully fledged entry. It takes place entirely within the City of Rome, which was a first for the series, as previously you travelled between 3 or 4 locations.

Brotherhood is my third favourite game, after 3 and 2, in the series. Rome is an incredibly strong setting, and while it probably uses a lot of assets from 2, it's hard to believe it was made within a year. The way the game justifies having you start from scratch once more in terms of armour and weapons (Press F for the Assassin Armour) is great. Replacing the tombs with the lairs of romulus was a welcome addition. The platforming in those games, once you have the controls down, is excellent, and so any Prince of Persia style challenge rooms are instantly enjoyable.

The modern day plot was actually really interesting in this game, with the end of the game containing one of the biggest twists at the time in games. The gameplay builds on the foundations from 2, and makes really interesting use of the Bleeding Effect, especially at the beginning.

In addition, getting to see Ezio, having achieved his revenge in 2, evolve as a character, advance in the ranks of the Assassin's to become the leader of the Assassins in Italy, the second greatest Master Assassin in the history of the guild, chasing the heels of Altair, is an absolute treat. His development across all fronts is a sight to behold. After all the sorrow and heartbreak he's had to endure. He becomes extremely motivated to return the Assassins to glory, both for those who he's lost and for those he still protects.

He's the best character in the series by miles (pun not intended). He's written brilliantly.

The multiplayer was exceptional. Made by the same people responsible for Chaos Theory's MP, Ubisoft Annecy. It was a really cool idea, and a lot of fun to try and get better at, even if the gun was terribly balanced.

Danny Wallace reprised his role and showed that Shaun Hastings had to be a series mainstay. Brilliant humour that somehow feels in universe, and doesn't break the fourth wall.

Finally, because the plot is so condensed within a single city, it's extremely replayable. I must have played Brotherhood 5-6 times at this point.

• It seems @Hazz3r and I share a lot when it comes to Brotherhood, well said up there. #3 for both of us in 2010. I absolutely loved the apprentice & guild system with your own followers, how Ezio began to expand the Assassins and how the people you recruit start to feel more and more familiar as you either call them up to help finish some enemy guards or send them on voyages with the naval map system. They grew in levels and rose in ranks. A fantastic system.

• Global Moderator

I wanted to put Brotherhood higher, but it was just really hard with so many good games this year. I still think that AC 2 are my favourite of the games I've played. Brotherhood was really nice and had a great story, but I wanted to see more of Italy. I think that towards the end I started to burn out a little on the series though as I played the games in a row. Revelations I kinda had to force myself to finish it.

I didn't play much of the multiplayer as I mainly played AC for the story. I remember that I was terrible at it though.

In terms of the game I think I might pick up the collection and play through them again just to get another appreciation for the story.

• @lotias Revlations is the weakest game in the series for me. It's only worth playing because it has some of the best plot moments in the series.

• This game was really damn fun, but I never finished it. I appreciated that the series said "fuck it" and went full video game nonsense with the Brotherhood management mini-game, but I couldn't shake the disappointment that the series wasn't a coherent trilogy with one single vision. By about mid-game I realized that this was never going to end. I didn't care about the story, and lost motivation to finish it for that reason.

BUT, name another game where you play in Renaissance Rome? The stealth / action / parkour gameplay was as great as ever, I loved being in Rome, and the soundtrack, like always, was breathtaking. As a whole, this game was really well put together but in terms of the series overall, it was the beginning of the end in regards to a coherent story, and it also felt like cut content from AC2.

It isn't GOTY but it was well made fun.

• @dipset I hear you for sure on the beginning of the end stuff. I originally wasn't going to buy Brotherhood as I thought that it was a smaller title that wasn't carrying on the modern day story. As soon as I saw the first gameplay that showed Monteriggioni in the modern day I practically ran to the GAME in town to buy it.

In hindsight, I think Ezio's trilogy is stronger than a Desmond trilogy could have been without major changes to 3. So I'm thankful for the way everything came out in the wash.