The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• AC Brotherhood was originally meant to be DLC follow on to Assassin's Creed 2, however, it grew and grew and grew until it became a fully fledged entry. It takes place entirely within the City of Rome, which was a first for the series, as previously you travelled between 3 or 4 locations.

Brotherhood is my third favourite game, after 3 and 2, in the series. Rome is an incredibly strong setting, and while it probably uses a lot of assets from 2, it's hard to believe it was made within a year. The way the game justifies having you start from scratch once more in terms of armour and weapons (Press F for the Assassin Armour) is great. Replacing the tombs with the lairs of romulus was a welcome addition. The platforming in those games, once you have the controls down, is excellent, and so any Prince of Persia style challenge rooms are instantly enjoyable.

The modern day plot was actually really interesting in this game, with the end of the game containing one of the biggest twists at the time in games. The gameplay builds on the foundations from 2, and makes really interesting use of the Bleeding Effect, especially at the beginning.

In addition, getting to see Ezio, having achieved his revenge in 2, evolve as a character, advance in the ranks of the Assassin's to become the leader of the Assassins in Italy, the second greatest Master Assassin in the history of the guild, chasing the heels of Altair, is an absolute treat. His development across all fronts is a sight to behold. After all the sorrow and heartbreak he's had to endure. He becomes extremely motivated to return the Assassins to glory, both for those who he's lost and for those he still protects.

He's the best character in the series by miles (pun not intended). He's written brilliantly.

The multiplayer was exceptional. Made by the same people responsible for Chaos Theory's MP, Ubisoft Annecy. It was a really cool idea, and a lot of fun to try and get better at, even if the gun was terribly balanced.

Danny Wallace reprised his role and showed that Shaun Hastings had to be a series mainstay. Brilliant humour that somehow feels in universe, and doesn't break the fourth wall.

Finally, because the plot is so condensed within a single city, it's extremely replayable. I must have played Brotherhood 5-6 times at this point.

• It seems @Hazz3r and I share a lot when it comes to Brotherhood, well said up there. #3 for both of us in 2010. I absolutely loved the apprentice & guild system with your own followers, how Ezio began to expand the Assassins and how the people you recruit start to feel more and more familiar as you either call them up to help finish some enemy guards or send them on voyages with the naval map system. They grew in levels and rose in ranks. A fantastic system.

• Global Moderator

I wanted to put Brotherhood higher, but it was just really hard with so many good games this year. I still think that AC 2 are my favourite of the games I've played. Brotherhood was really nice and had a great story, but I wanted to see more of Italy. I think that towards the end I started to burn out a little on the series though as I played the games in a row. Revelations I kinda had to force myself to finish it.

I didn't play much of the multiplayer as I mainly played AC for the story. I remember that I was terrible at it though.

In terms of the game I think I might pick up the collection and play through them again just to get another appreciation for the story.

• @lotias Revlations is the weakest game in the series for me. It's only worth playing because it has some of the best plot moments in the series.

• This game was really damn fun, but I never finished it. I appreciated that the series said "fuck it" and went full video game nonsense with the Brotherhood management mini-game, but I couldn't shake the disappointment that the series wasn't a coherent trilogy with one single vision. By about mid-game I realized that this was never going to end. I didn't care about the story, and lost motivation to finish it for that reason.

BUT, name another game where you play in Renaissance Rome? The stealth / action / parkour gameplay was as great as ever, I loved being in Rome, and the soundtrack, like always, was breathtaking. As a whole, this game was really well put together but in terms of the series overall, it was the beginning of the end in regards to a coherent story, and it also felt like cut content from AC2.

It isn't GOTY but it was well made fun.

• @dipset I hear you for sure on the beginning of the end stuff. I originally wasn't going to buy Brotherhood as I thought that it was a smaller title that wasn't carrying on the modern day story. As soon as I saw the first gameplay that showed Monteriggioni in the modern day I practically ran to the GAME in town to buy it.

In hindsight, I think Ezio's trilogy is stronger than a Desmond trilogy could have been without major changes to 3. So I'm thankful for the way everything came out in the wash.

• @hazz3r

I can't really comment on the Ezio trilogy because I never beat Brotherhood then dropped Assassin's Creed on the whole after a bit of AC3 disappointment. I hear its basically Apex Mountain for the series, but I can't see past the fact that AC was pitched to us as a stealth assassination game (it kinda was for one game), and a trilogy, but neither came into fruition.

So despite the Ezio trilogy being an allegedly great thing, I just wonder what could have been if the narrative stayed on the rails and Patrice wasn't fired. I mean, he clearly was the mastermind behind the narrative elements of the series and I always wonder what I simple AC 1, 2, 3 back to back to back could've been. No AAA sequel milk it for all its worth agenda. Just a well thought out trilogy. To be fair, the narrative started going a bit crazy by mid-AC2 but I wonder if they knew this wasn't going to conclude in 3 games by that point.

• Heavy Rain

#10. Heavy Rain - 17 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (ffff0)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Axel)
    HM: 11 (Brandon_Reister, naltmank, JDINCINERATOR, TokyoSlim, Crepe, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Sentinel Beach, DIPSET, tokeeffe9, HappyGaming, El Shmiablo)

Information

Release date: February 23 [US], February 24 [EU]
    Developer: Quantic Dream
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Interactive drama, Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Wow! So honor. Very Mentions!
    alt text

• Easy Allies friend zone champion.

This was the first game of this type I played. It wasn't an incredible game but I remember a lot of it. It certainly tried to hard with atmosphere but still hit the mark most times. The lack of actual gameplay is why I think it's only an HM for me.

• WOW that's a lot of Honorable Mentions.

I've always stayed away from Heavy Rain for many reasons. Gameplay (which I did play Detroit: Become Human, and that wasn't too bad in this sense but I'm not too over the moon about it), the central mystery (Which I know the twist, so it's kind of lost any real meaning to visit for me), and it also doesn't look all that good in retrospect. Character models aren't the best, plus... ya know... press X to... you get it.

All that said, it definitely made its mark, for good and ill.

• Heavy Rain was my first narrative-driven game and I loved it. Making decisions, seeing consequences and learning the truth - it was a wonderful ride. And I've got decent ending too. It also my first platinum, because I was so interested in seeing everything this game has. I enjoyed QTE and pressing multiple buttons - it was new for me and it fit character's action. Later I played it with PS Move and it was even more immersive.

Could be my #1, but some other 2010 game was also great.

• Quantic Dream's games are so odd to me. On one hand, I often find myself at odds with most of the things David Cage says. Particularly, I find it annoying how he oversells the stories in his games. Then, when they are released, the stories are full of plot holes, lazy writing/stereotypes, and other oddities.

That being said, whenever I watch the trailers, reviews, and clips of Quantic Dream's games I am compelled to try them. And, despite my opinions of David Cage and how disjointed the stories often are, I end up enjoying their games a lot.

• Whoa holy shit. Are these the most honorable mentions a game has gotten @Axel ?

• Heavy Rain was legitimately in my top 5 games of all time for a few years. It was doing really cool stuff with choice/consequence while maintaining a very cinematic presentation. I even like the way it played. However, as time went on, I started noticing all the flaws and holes in the actual story, and the rough edges present throughout the game only became more and more noticeable. I still think there's a lot to enjoy here, but it's aged pretty poorly overall, which is why I could only put it in my HMs here. Great soundtrack, though.

• @crepe Despite all his rage, he is still just David Cage.

• @capnbobamous Could be worth checking!

• This is a game I remember being a 9/10 when I played it. I have the most fond memories of playing with my buddy and talking about the differences of what happened to each character and how things changed per playthrough. We both even still had 4:3 tube TVs at the time. I still love this game, but nowadays, it feels more like the epitome of swimming in 7's; a game that isn't bad, but has too much on top to be able to stand the test of time or its own weight. And I still love it for what it wants to do, the story it tells, the memories it gave me. But it doesn't quite hold up as well as other games I played since. Still, I think this game has something special that's worth looking at and remembering. Even if to me it's swimmin' in 7's, It'll always be that 9 in my head of what it tried to do and what it accomplished for me and my buddy when it came out.

• I only played Heavy Rain last year for the first time, after Detroit, so it felt a bit rough around the edges in comparison. But I still had a lot of fun going through the story, it had a couple unexpected plot twists, and not that many plot holes. It also conveys cause and effect pretty well, so that you rarely feel like a scene's outcome is unfair or too unpredictable (an issue I had sometimes with Until Dawn).

One minor gripe I remember having is the character of Madison, whose sole purpose seems to be getting naked at every opportunity in the most gratuitous ways. Plus, just like in Fahrenheit, there are

"romance" options between her and Ethan that are not believable at all, David Cage sure loves having characters who just met in the most un-sexy of circumstances just get it on anyway.

But those eye-rolling issues aside, I enjoyed most of the scenes, there are some genuinely stressful and scary parts, and I kept wanting to see what was next. So it does that right at least!

Detroit is a definitely better game, in every way, but there's still value in this one if you enjoy the genre.

• Loved Heavy Rain ten years ago, the whole game felt sort of vivid and more adult than basically any game I'd played before that. I was still living home back then and I remember when my mom stopped by in my room and was visibly surprised of what I was playing. Ethan was taking care of Shaun in his home, making food for the kid and just trying to connect. My mom sat down, fixated on the screen, I don't think I'd ever seen her like that. (Unfortunately we had some guests soon after, so the magic got broken.)

Nowadays I've lost some of my connection to the game. Still many great memories of powerful and/or surprising scenes, but Detroit does basically everything better etc. A unique experience nevertheless and I just had to fit in in my Top 8.