The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• Whoa holy shit. Are these the most honorable mentions a game has gotten @Axel ?

• Heavy Rain was legitimately in my top 5 games of all time for a few years. It was doing really cool stuff with choice/consequence while maintaining a very cinematic presentation. I even like the way it played. However, as time went on, I started noticing all the flaws and holes in the actual story, and the rough edges present throughout the game only became more and more noticeable. I still think there's a lot to enjoy here, but it's aged pretty poorly overall, which is why I could only put it in my HMs here. Great soundtrack, though.

• @crepe Despite all his rage, he is still just David Cage.

• @capnbobamous Could be worth checking!

• This is a game I remember being a 9/10 when I played it. I have the most fond memories of playing with my buddy and talking about the differences of what happened to each character and how things changed per playthrough. We both even still had 4:3 tube TVs at the time. I still love this game, but nowadays, it feels more like the epitome of swimming in 7's; a game that isn't bad, but has too much on top to be able to stand the test of time or its own weight. And I still love it for what it wants to do, the story it tells, the memories it gave me. But it doesn't quite hold up as well as other games I played since. Still, I think this game has something special that's worth looking at and remembering. Even if to me it's swimmin' in 7's, It'll always be that 9 in my head of what it tried to do and what it accomplished for me and my buddy when it came out.

• I only played Heavy Rain last year for the first time, after Detroit, so it felt a bit rough around the edges in comparison. But I still had a lot of fun going through the story, it had a couple unexpected plot twists, and not that many plot holes. It also conveys cause and effect pretty well, so that you rarely feel like a scene's outcome is unfair or too unpredictable (an issue I had sometimes with Until Dawn).

One minor gripe I remember having is the character of Madison, whose sole purpose seems to be getting naked at every opportunity in the most gratuitous ways. Plus, just like in Fahrenheit, there are

"romance" options between her and Ethan that are not believable at all, David Cage sure loves having characters who just met in the most un-sexy of circumstances just get it on anyway.

But those eye-rolling issues aside, I enjoyed most of the scenes, there are some genuinely stressful and scary parts, and I kept wanting to see what was next. So it does that right at least!

Detroit is a definitely better game, in every way, but there's still value in this one if you enjoy the genre.

• Loved Heavy Rain ten years ago, the whole game felt sort of vivid and more adult than basically any game I'd played before that. I was still living home back then and I remember when my mom stopped by in my room and was visibly surprised of what I was playing. Ethan was taking care of Shaun in his home, making food for the kid and just trying to connect. My mom sat down, fixated on the screen, I don't think I'd ever seen her like that. (Unfortunately we had some guests soon after, so the magic got broken.)

Nowadays I've lost some of my connection to the game. Still many great memories of powerful and/or surprising scenes, but Detroit does basically everything better etc. A unique experience nevertheless and I just had to fit in in my Top 8.

• Heavy Rain is one of those games for me where I liked it a lot when I first played it, but that feeling slowly degraded as time went on. It has great moments: I especially enjoy the VR sections with that detective, but a lot of the game started to rub me the wrong way, like how the story turned out at the end. It's still a cool game for it's time though. I still think about the main theme music from time to time.

• Heavy Rain is terrible in just about every way except graphics, but you know what I loved every minute playing through that dumb schlocky nonsense. Finished it in one sitting. No regrets.

• I can understand that some of the ideas in Heavy Rain are intriguing, and the game play was something new to a lot of people, but thinking about the storytelling, tone and overall narrative of that game, I can only laugh. There's nothing wrong with liking the game, but some of the tone is just... woof.

• If we had done this in 2010, Heavy Rain would likely have made my Number 2 or 3 spot. I loved the game. I was engrossed by the story. And it was the first game of that style that I had played, having not had the information to understand what Fahrenheit was.

I loved playing as each character. The sections with Norman were a delight thanks to those nifty glasses. I could have played bounce against the wall in the police precinct for hours.

I enjoyed the chase scenes and I enjoyed the slice of life scenes. The multiple ways the story could play out was fun. And while for the most part, having all the outcomes laid out for you a la Detroit would probably have been a more fun experience overall, it was great fun replaying the game to try and get the best ending, or trying to let the Origami Killer get away with it.

It narrowly missed out on my HM for two reasons.

1. I've never been sold on the Supernatural elements of the Story, despite Cage's reasoning for their presence. It's clear that they ran out of dev time or budget, but they left these dangling threads in the game without considering the players experience.

2. In hindsight, the way they treat Madison is gross. They literally have a section of the game where you're forced to strip for some gang member or something, and you can go pretty far before eventually you're forced to do what is the obvious continuation of the scene. I'm all for titillation in games. Have Madison run around her apartment in her knickers, or have her get her cleavage out when she's trying to seduce someone. Sex sells, and people, especially men, enjoy titillation.

But don't have a character get undressed against their will and let the player fucking control that process. As a teenager, you bet I went as far as I could without really understanding why what I was doing was so weird. "It's in the game, so it must be okay". Don't put that shit in games man.

Youtube Video

But, back on to more positive things, Heavy Rain has one piece of DLC called The Taxidermist. It was a single high quality scene where there were many outcomes. It was maybe 15 minutes long, but could be replayed many many times. I got a good couple of hours out of it. It was the first episode of what was meant to be a series of DLC called Heavy Rain Chronicles. Unfortunately though, Sony paid Quantic Dream a big chunk of money to make a Move Edition of Heavy Rain in time for the launch of Playstation Move. This meant that they no longer had the staff to work on the rest of the DLC, so it got dropped and never picked up again.

Youtube Video – [00:56..]

It's a shame, because the Move Edition ended up being quite crap. The DLC isn't in the PC or PS4 release. The Move Edition is ironically the only release that has the DLC on the disc, so you'd need that to guarantee you can play it. I think it might still be downloadable seperately from the PS3 PSN Store, but who knows for how long.

So yeah, Heavy Rain has a lot of good going for it, but David Cage is a weird guy who puts weird stuff in his games. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• If we did this GOTY list in 2010, I was really high on Heavy Rain. I had never played anything like it before. I absolutely appreciated how dark and depressing it was. In fact, my friend and I recently replayed it on PS4 and got a kick out of the utmost depressing scene of your kid wanting to just watch TV after school and have nothing to do with you.

I loved the mystery surrounding the Origami killer and I think the Cop storyline had a lot of cool gameplay options going from it. It's like one scene you are a super cop, the next you're a film Noir sleuth, and the next you are in a video game version of Saw. It was a wild ride and I very much enjoyed knowing I can die at any moment.

That said, the acting was rough, the plot twists were a little bit "a-ha! gotcha!!", and the mundane parts are pretty mundane in repeat playthroughs.

One weird gripe. Note the scale in this game next time you play it. I recently learned that game developers scale things up due to AI and movement problems, but holy shit the scale in this game is deformed. In the scene where Shelby meets the prostitute in her hotel room, there is a refrigerator that only goes up to his ribs and a dining room table that is the size of a megalodon shark. For such a cinematic game, you'd think they'd fix that.

Also - DISCLAIMER - I am FINISHED with Quantic Dream / David Cage. I've read the stories about abusive work practices, the "for fun" Nazi imagery they'd have posted around the office and in public files, and their discriminative remarks that their studio heads have made.

At first I thought there might be more to the story because of how hard they denied these claims, but after CEO Guillaume de Fondaumière went on a Twitter rant about how "Detroit Become Human" is about how "All Lives Matter" and that the game is about the BLM protests or whatever cockamamy bullshit he spewed, I'm D O N E.

I never played Detroit but knowing that it was made by and for the benefit of police brutality sympathizers, I have beyond no desire to even hear out this nonsense. The studio is dead to me.

• my experience with david cage games has pretty much exclusively been watching lets plays/streams of them and from what I've seen heavy rain is probably the "best" in the sense that it's the most fun to laugh at without getting too bogged down in its own bullshit. Detroit was probably the actual "best" but it was far more boring in comparison, though that may just be because of the choices the person I was watching made.

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!:

At first I thought there might be more to the story because of how hard they denied these claims, but after CEO Guillaume de Fondaumière went on a Twitter rant about how "Detroit Become Human" is about how "All Lives Matter" and that the game is about the BLM protests or whatever cockamamy bullshit he spewed, I'm D O N E.

I thought what he said on Twitter was actually how the game was in support of the BLM movement, no? It was clumsy and came across as utilizing the current context as promotion for the game, but I don't think he ever said anything in support of police brutality (clearly the game itself doesn't). But I didn't follow it very closely so maybe I misinterpreted it myself.

• @axel

The whole thing is sketchy. He first Tweeted that "'All Lives Matter' is what Detroit is about" (paraphrased). He got completely roasted for his All Lives Matter stance as well as comparing his self proclaimed apolitical video game to a very current and serious issue. Then he deleted the tweet and wrote the same tweet but with"Black Lives Matter" in place of ALM, again, completely missing the point that now isn't the time to promote his dumb robot game.

Regardless, the more I hear about this company trying to act apolitical while making a game about robot civil rights, they come off as completely tone deaf. Add on the claims that the studio is tasteless and offensive (leading to the IT Department to quit as a group), I generally feel like these claims are founded.

• Unrelated but EA is releasing their back catalog of video games on Steam for the first time since BFBC2 and Mass Effect 2 in 2010. Everything from 2011 onwards on EA Origin exclusively. So the whole Battlefield franchise is heavily discounted on the Steam Summer Sale currently. Now is a good of time as any to replay our #25 Best Game of 2010 - Battlefield Bad Company 2. I got the premium edition with BF Vietnam expansion for only $11.

https://store.steampowered.com/franchise/Battlefield

0_1593534857524_3f8ba883-d268-4193-b980-8ccb5a0f68f4-image.png

I'll report back about how I feel about it a decade later. One thing I forgot to mention in my plea for BFBC2 votes is how the 'Vietnam' expansion was essentially an entirely new game. It very well could have been sold as a standalone game, yet, it was the same price if not cheaper than the competing Modern Warfare 2 map packs at the time.

Unbelievable how far we've come where an incredible completely borderline new game can be sold as an expansion for $20 whereas nowadays, you're nickel and diming the consumer if you even charge for maps at all. We rarely get expansions like this in MP games that dramatically change anything. We just get new maps. I'll never complain about the new free maps, but it is wild how in 2010 BFBC2 has a massive expansion for $20 and COD MW2 has like 5 maps for $20 and now in 2020, both series just give you maps for free.

We all know Mass Effect 2 will be in the top 5. May as well jump back in now!

https://store.steampowered.com/franchise/MassEffect

0_1593534925248_d8200e1f-9504-4ae7-aa35-d030c2e76464-image.png

• AC Brotherhood is probably my favorite game in the entire franchise. Even though it was originally meant to be DLC for 2 it felt like a really important entry in to the overall story and just hit it out of the park in every regard. The Ezio saga was really ahead of its time in my opinion. Revelations pushed it a bit much though and didn't really do enough to seperate itself from the previous 2 games, even though making custom bombs was real fuckin neato. Miss me with all that tower defense garbage tho.

Heavy Rain is a game that, at the time, was completely unprecedented. Sure there were similar games, but nothing even beginning to approach the production quality of HR. Now time has passed and it hasn't aged very well at all, bit I still have very fond memories of SHAAAAUUUN.

• Limbo

#9. Limbo - 17 points

Votes

#1: 2 (HappyGaming, MiserablePerson)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (GageBlackW23)
    HM: 5 (TokyoSlim, Phbz, Nimbat1003, ffff0, Axel)

Information

Release date: July 21 [US/EU]
    Developer: Playdead
    Publisher: Playdead
    Genre: Puzzle, Platform
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I really liked Limbo, I remember that I found it did a very good job of doing what set out to do with its style, it just wasn't something that really stuck with me after the fact, and I definitively liked other games more.

• I have heard precisely zero bad thing about this game. Never played it and it might be too late but I'll always remember it as one of the first Indies to make people freak out