The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• Banned

@bam541
    PS3 game gets a big update: guess I'll play it tomorrow.
    PS4 game gets a big update: guess I'll go make a sandwich.

• I remember being so excited for SOCOM Confrontation to release in 2008. Who else remembers those in-game updates for PS3 exclusives? Where say, COD4 would update through normal means, a game like SOCOM, MAG, Warhawk, would have this long downloading bar in-game where you couldn't use the XMB or do absolutely anything else until it finishes.

Well between SOCOM Confrontation launching as a broken mess, that awful PSN download screen never working properly, and my internet being slow as shit, I think it took me like a week to get that game running. And then it was still broken for like 4 months after that.

We're living the dream right now.

• StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

#24. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Lotias)
    #3: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (Brandon_Reister, MiserablePerson)

Information

Release date: July 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
    Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
    Genre: Real-time strategy
    Platform(s): Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• This, just barely, didn't make my list. Such a fun, well balanced RTS to play. Really enjoyed the co-op time I put into it as well. The whole SC2 series just feels nice.

• I enjoy Starcraft, but I barely played 2 and remember there being a negative stigma around it.

• Strategy games intimidate me like no other genre, so Starcraft is a 'never-gunna-play' for that (and other) reason(s). But kudos for StarCraft for being probably one of the first live service games and one that's still popular today. Say what you will about Blizzard, but the fact several of their games are still going show how enduring they are.

• I never got into the competitive online side of SC2, which is where I think the "intimidation" comes into play but the campaign was delightful, and very replayable.

• @capnbobamous It's a video game, of course there was. :)

• Global Moderator

Oh wow! I definitely thought both these games would end up higher on the list!

Bad Company 1 and 2 had some really fun campaigns and the characters gave me a lot of laughs and good times. I also ended up spending about 200 hours in Bad Company 2's multiplayer with some friends - good times.

StarCraft 2 I also played A LOT. Been a fan of the series since the first game and with the second instalment I ended up playing a lot of multiplayer. At first it was really intimidating and hard work, but learning different strategies and see myself becoming better and better it was so much fun. Even followed the E-sport scene of it for a few years. Even though I would say the next expansion, Heart of the Swarm added even more to the muliplayer side of things.

• @brannox Strongly recommend at least trying the Campaign. It's extremely accessible. Treats you like you're completely new to the genre, and doesn't require any kind of decent Actions Per Minute.

• Banned

I've never really been able to get into RTS games since I find then so overwhelming and intimidating, but growing up a lot of my friends played it, and one of them even used to play professionally so I have a lot of exposure to the series.
    Pretty neat stuff!

• I have a feeling this game is too low relative to the quality because a lot of us haven't played StarCraft 2. I only briefly tried it when it went F2P based on the DEMANDS of my friend from university. Buuuuut, I was in university and didn't have time to learn an RTS from scratch.

I hear this isn't just a great game but one of the greats and I need to try it soon.

• @hazz3r Thanks for recommending it, but I don't think I will, not because of the quality, but in addition to the intimidation I expressed earlier, I also don't play on PC. I'm more at home with a controller and a console interface, so even if StarCraft allows for remapping controls to a gamepad (does it? I legitimately don't know), there are just too many little steps for me to think it worth it, just for one game in a genre I've no affiliation with.

• I played the original Starcraft multiplayer with my buddy growing up, but the campaign was never something I got into. After the long wait for the sequel, I think I enjoyed watching him play its campaign more than I ever played or enjoyed it myself, and that was enough for me. I love the soundtrack and the art direction, but it's always been difficult for me to get into RTS stories for some reason.

• Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

#23. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game - 9 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Hanabi)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (HappyGaming)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (parasitepaladin)

Information

Release date: August 10 [US], August 11 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Beat 'em up
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I've only seen the movie, so the only thing I can say about the game is I know it's been delisted and was P.T.'d before P.T. was a thing. I like the game's look and style, but beat 'em ups aren't my thing because I don't think there's enough in the gameplay of the genre for me. So really, Scott Pilgrim the game is more interesting to me as a case study as opposed to the actual game itself.

• 23? I'll take what I can get.
    Admittedly 2010 wasn't a big year for me when it comes to playing a bunch of new games but I was one of those kids in high school that was obsessed with Scott Pilgrim so this was a day one buy the second my brother got himself a PS3. It's still a really solid game overall, damn shame that you can't buy it anymore. Also has a great soundtrack by Anamanaguchi that you should definitely check out.

• Banned

Another game I begrudgingly had to remove from my list. Absolutely top tier beatemup fun. Great style, fantastic soundtrack, just awesome all around.

• This game narrowly missed my HMs. Love the soundtrack and the pixel art, but I'm just not a huge beat em up guy.

• I also really liked this game but damn it was hard. I never made it too far because I kept getting my ass kicked.