The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• I wanted to buy Xbox 360 for two reasons: Dance Central and Limbo (but soon Limbo came out on PC, so I bought it just for Dance Central). I don't remember what I liked about this game when I saw it and honestly I don't remember much about the game itself. But I remember that it was a nice puzzle-platformer, so it's my #7.

• I've played though LIMBO a bunch of times when it released. Despite being a fairly tight experience, there's a surprising amount of secrets to find. I especially like the secrets that are more execution heavy towards the end of the game, requiring you to go above and beyond the puzzle itself.

I think it's an entirely superior experience to INSIDE.

@brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!:

It's a massive struggle for me to deal with anything concerning spiders, so this is an insta-pass for me.

Yeah, don't play this game. It's arguably the best spider in vdeogames. Shit's terrifying.

• Donkey Kong Country Returns

#8. Donkey Kong Country Returns - 20 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Axel, Kaminski)
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (tokeeffe9, NeoCweeny)
    #4: 1 (Scotty)
    HM: 2 (Shoulderguy, Jamicov)

Information

Release date: November 21 [US], December 3 [EU]
    Developer: Retro Studios
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 3DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I've never played the Donkey Kong platformers, and I think this now gets outshined with how much Tropical Freeze gets talked about. Still, I believe it's a credit to Donkey Kong being synonymous with high quality in its genre.

• Nice. I almost gave up on seeing Donkey Kong Country Returns make the list. It's #6 for me.

As a fan of the original DKC games, Nintendo's decision to bring the franchise back was long overdue. While I was excited by the announcement, I didn't want to get too hyped. Retro was known for making first-person Metroid games after all, and I wasn't sure if they could make a fun platformer or a faithful Donkey Kong game. Thankfully, they succeeded at doing both those things.

I know their making Metroid Prime 4 now but I would also like to see Retro make another DKC game eventually.

• Admittedly I have a bad reason for not playing this. I got a Wii off Craigslist back in the day and it was Japanese, and certain games from the US didn't run or ran strangely. I think when I booted this up, all the text didn't work properly, so stage names, items, all that sort of thing just didn't read as correct characters. That and using motion to do the pounding was a huge bother to me. Both of those issues I imagine are ironed out in the 3DS version but I never got around to it and started Tropical Freeze instead.

I have to pick up that 3DS version! Although if they put the original on Switch...

• I remember getting 200% in this game being a big deal to me in a tough an uncertain time in my life. I never gave up no matter how impossible some of the mirror mode stuff felt. It gave me a sense of pride.

It's an extremely well designed platformer with the absurd attention to detail and context heavy story telling we've come to expect from Retro Studios.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I believe this game completely outclassed the original Donkey Kong Country games

• I gotta say a few words for what turned out to be my GOTY, although I must say it wasn't an obvious pick, I can't say a single game from this year really blew me away.

I feel like Retro did an amazing job in modernizing the gameplay, level design, controls while still retaining what made the originals unique (the setting, the weight of the character, movement options, etc.)

And contrary to most people, I loved using the remote and nunchuk motion controls, shaking and drumming to trigger certain moves. It found it intuitive, always responsive, and at the risk of sounding like a cliche, it makes you feel like Donkey Kong. In Tropical Freeze they introduced a more classic control scheme but I was happy to see they kept this option, and played it that way too.

DKC Returns doesn't exactly revolutionize the genre, but to me it pretty much perfects it (and Tropical Freeze is even better!). I love those games, they offer a perfect synergy between controls, music, art style, gameplay and by doing so provide a level of immersion rarely touched by other platformers.

Pure videogaming fun!

• Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

#7. Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver - 22 points

Votes

#1: 2 (FF7Cloud, Zindenga)
    #2: 1 (naltmank)
    #3: 1 (Lotias)
    #4: 1 (Jamicov)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, GageBlackW23, Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: March 14 [US], March 26 [EU]
    Developer: Game Freak
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• oh yeah, that came out in 2010 didn't it.

I dunno I remember everyone acting like these remakes were the second coming but I never thought they were more than "alright." Granted they came out right as my interest in the franchise was nosediving so I don't even think I finished it but at the same time if I ever felt the need to relive the Jhoto games these days, I'd probably just play Crystal instead.

• I was part of a friend's podcast several months ago and this duo of games were a part of it. When I had to give my written thoughts, this is what I said,

• "Pokemon is one of the first franchises I knew as a kid, but at Gen 4, I dropped off for multiple reasons: I hated the transition into the blocky 3D models, the balancing is MASSIVELY off, I didn’t like many of the new Pokemon, and there are certain gameplay mechanics and features that are unnecessary. Plus, as someone who DOES like the first three generations, I find it quite perverse to see later generation Pokemon in a previous gen’s region."

To expand upon this, while I hold the first gen in higher regard for my interests, gen two is really good, and despite the fact many people rave that HeartGold and SoulSilver are the best Pokemon games ever made, as time has gone on and the Pokemon franchise has kept going, to me, it just continues to lose any wonder and excitement. Call me a purist, but after a certain point, Pokemon just isn't what it use to be and not really as fun.

• Of course the Pokemon game released that year made the list. XD

• This is higher than I expected. We've had so many Pokémon games over the years, that it's easy for HeartGold and SoulSilver to get overlooked. Which is unfortunate, because they are truly worthwhile remakes that made improvements in almost every way. While also staying true to the original games already great design. Pokemon SoulSilver is #7 on my list.

• Global Moderator

Oh Pokemon! :D I'm a huge fan of the first two gens. So when this came out I just had to replay it. Even though I tend to play them the same way every time Soul Silver are one of those games I just go back to every now and again to play through.

• I’ve said this in other threads but Soul Silver is my favourite Pokemon, and one of the best remakes I’ve ever played. Absolutely magical.

• I’ve never even heard of this game before.

• I didn't play this until years later when I purchased a 3DS and borrowed it from a friend, but when it came out, I distinctly remember kids with these Poke-Walkers that they'd carry around a shake like shake weights constantly throughout the day.

As far as the game goes, I love Silver, and think this is a really awesome remake, but generally just prefer the original as it's the one I played the most growing up. I was not really a fan of the music in the remake or the 3D buildings and objects, but again, that could just be my preference to the sprites and chip tunes the original had.

• Civilization V

#6. Civilization V - 24 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sazime)
    #2: 1 (Brandon_Reister)
    #3: 4 (Crepe, bard91, Capnbobamous, Exist 2 Inspire)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (GageBlackW23, Zanarkand, HappyGaming)

Information

Release date: September 21 [US], September 24 [EU]
    Developer: Firaxis Games
    Publisher: 2K Games
    Genre: Turn-based strategy, 4X
    Platform(s): Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Now this is a legitimate surprise and I don't think I've had one of those in these threads for a while. I guess that shows how out of touch I am on Strategy games and Civ as a whole. The lone thing I know is the Ghandi glitch, which is admittedly extremely funny. Seeing Civ so high really shows it must be stellar in both genre and series. Plus, it's actually a little surprising also Civ V is almost 10 years old because there's only been one Civ since.

• Oh shit, I forgot about Civilization V! Would have made my top 4 for sure. This game was my obsession back in high school. I played it almost everyday for a couple months, and was never really good at it. I had my moments, sure, but I never got too far. Still, that "one more turn" mentality is so strong with this game, and it just keeps giving me enough dopamine and a sense of curiosity to keep me playing. I think a big part of it is seeing other countries leaders' reactions to my actions, they're quite expressive in their presentation. Not to mention, seeing your country expand and getting access to more natural resources is quite satisfying. Also, seeing that "decisive victory" mini screen when you're clicking to attack other units feels comforting.