The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• SMG2 is the game responsible for bringing me back to gaming.

My mother in law gave me a Wii, out of nowhere, with a copy of this game. Completely random thing, unexpected, and I wasn't exactly thrilled with the silly console and what it looked like a kiddy game.

But damn, this game conquered me almost from the start. I love everything about it and is on my top 3 best games ever.

• @sazime I’m fairly confident what the top 3 are. I have 2 HMs that won’t make it. One I’m a little surprised, one is par for the course.

• @hazz3r I can't wait to see if one my my fav HMs got any other votes at all.

• I thought the first Mario Galaxy was just an alright game when it came out, but Super Mario Galaxy 2? This game knocked my socks clean off.

The sequel was 10× more creative and far more tight in its level design and challenge than the original. It's incredible the shear imagination and variety on display. A new, clever gameplay concept is introduced every few minutes. It just never let's up.

There's seriously enough concepts and ideas in this one game to create 20+ full fledged games.

I can't think of another instance where a direct sequel felt more fresh and novel than its predecessor.

• Alright, I got some catching up to do.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is something I actually didn't play until recently, but I had a ton of fun with it! I do like Tropical Freeze more, but there's still a lot of creativity in those levels and it's, in my opinion, the perfect difficulty for a 2D Platformer of its kind.

I always go back and forth on what my favorite Pokemon games are, but HeartGold and SoulSilver are always in the conversation. Gen 2 was already one of my favorite gens, so having the Gen 4 DS aesthetic with those towns and those characters just ends up being some of my favorite vibes in Pokemon. Plus, post-game content in Pokemon is a big thing for me, and there's a lot to go through here, even beyond the second region. I also have a lot of nostalgia for how much I played this game with my friends.

And of course Super Mario Galaxy 2 is up there for me. I haven't actually played either of the games in a while, so I'm not sure which I prefer, but Galaxy in general is just such a masterclass in a lot of regards. The mechanics feel great, the music is great, the level design is great, it's just all very great. I do prefer the setup to the first game more though, I always agreed with Bosman's take on the tiny Mario head ship and just having a world map instead of exploring the observatory.

• I'm like Kyle where I like my 3D Mario games to be one connected world so I didn't like the level map of Galaxy 2. Even more, I really don't like the Wiimote stuff in the the Mario, Zelda and Metroid games. I feel like if I could play this on Dolphin, I'd love it but as is, it's my least favourite 3D Mario.

• I've got the opposite opinion than most people, but I actually prefer Mario Galaxy 1 to 2. I had more of an emotional connection and got more of those positive vibes unlocking Rosalina's ship, bringing it back to life, and reading through that storybook than pretty much any moments I had in 2. But that doesn't mean I dislike 2. I think the Mario shaped spaceship is... dumb. And I can overlook the level select screen making things more or less feel less like an adventure to me. Because those levels are crammed with creative, fun and imaginative things to do, constantly. The music was also such a step up because now they primarily used real instruments instead of the MIDI based soundtrack of 1. Mario Galaxy 2 is just boundless joy crammed into a Wii that is destined to make anyone smile when they pick it up, and I would kill to play it and its predecessor on the Switch with updated visuals, because Galaxy 1 and 2 are easily my favorite 3D Mario games.

• Global Moderator

Oh we are about to enter top 3 soon! I am hyped to see which hames we votes up there!

• @lotias There are 2 super obvious ones, I feel, but can't guess what third is. Can't wait!

• I feel like every year my votes tend to be the odd ones out in a way because I just have different tastes but 2010's somethin different. I guess it's because it wasn't until like right at the end of the year (heck it mighta been early 2011, memory's fuzzy) that I actually got a PS3 and for the first time in a long time was actually up to date with modern gaming. Up until then I was still just playing old games on my PS2 and occasionally DS.

• Damn. Yakuza and Alan Wake didn't make it huh? That's a shame.

• I just noticed that only 2 games have shown up so far from my list. My top 2's probably in the top 3, but I would be so bummed if my number 4 pick don't show up.

• @capnbobamous shhhhhh.....

• Fallout: New Vegas

#3. Fallout: New Vegas - 38 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Hazz3r)
    #2: 3 (Shoulderguy, paulmci27, MiserablePerson)
    #3: 4 (Brandon_Reister, JDINCINERATOR, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Zanarkand)
    #4: 3 (TokyoSlim, Nimbat1003, DIPSET)
    HM: 3 (Sazime, bard91, Hanabi)

Information

Release date: October 19 [US], October 22 [EU]
    Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I've only played like 5 hours of New Vegas, and that was enough to know that I would love the game and that it was great but didn't keep with it, I just bought the complete edition in gog for like 3 bucks, and I really hope to put more time into it as it is something I heard so many good things from good friends that I do feel like I'm missing out.

• Looks like my number 4 pick won't show up. Oh well.

I started New Vegas like 3 times and never got very far. Not because the game sucks, it's just that my laptop won't cooperate with the game. It just kept bugging on me, even after I installed community patches and what not. It's a shame, really.

• We'll see how close #1-3 are in the points. I was going to rate this my #3 but pound for pound, I had more fun with Dead Rising 2 than F:NV so I voted for DR2 as my #3 which I assume isn't going to be GOTY or the runner up. Maybe I should've put New Vegas higher.

I LOVE this game. Pretty much my favourite RPG writing ever. It has that "small time caper, big time consequences" plot scenario that I love so much in film and games. Deliver one Vegas chip, what can go wrong?

• When Fallout New Vegas first released on the Xbox 360 it was a mess. Throughout my time with New Vegas the game crashed on me 20+ times, was constantly slowing down, had quest breaking bugs and loads of other issues. Despite all of those issues, I pushed forward, because the story, characters, world building and writing were so good. It wasn't good enough to completely redeem it for me though. Fallout New Vegas would not have been in my top 8 back in 2010.

3 years later, I get the game for my PC and it runs completely smooth now, all the issues I had before are mostly gone and the added DLC and mods are welcome editions. Playing through New Vegas a second time I was able to see more of the different ways missions can play out, based on how you create your character and the decisions you make. Having this experience, I gained more respect for all the work Obsidian did after release. F:NV did eventually become the sequel to Fallout 3 that I wanted.

• There were so many places this game held on my list, and I ALMOST feel bad for it being an HM. But, it is my FIRST HM, so I don't feel TOO bad. I think I might be a bit too far away from it for me to have put it at 1-4.

• Fun story. Yesterday I thought: “I have no idea what games are in top 3”. Then I looked at my votes and thought: “Of course it will be Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2”. Little did I know.

I played and finished Fallout: New Vegas. When you start the game you see SpeedTree logo, but there aren’t any trees around. I was searching for trees for a long time and eventually I found them. And this is the only quest from that game that I remember.