The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!

• Really liked NV but as I was nearing the end the game completely broke. So I really couldn't rank it.

• Red Dead Redemption

#2. Red Dead Redemption - 62 points

Votes

#1: 1 (JDINCINERATOR)
    #2: 10 (TokyoSlim, Phbz, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Nimbat1003, Sentinel Beach, Zanarkand, Capnbobamous, bam541, robert7lee, El Shmiablo)
    #3: 2 (Shoulderguy, Asbestos)
    #4: 3 (Crepe, ffff0, Hazz3r)
    HM: 5 (naltmank, Sazime, Exist 2 Inspire, Jamicov, MiserablePerson)

Information

Release date: May 18 [US], May 21 [EU]
    Developer: Rockstar San Diego
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Mass Effect 2

#1. Mass Effect 2 - 91 points

Votes

#1: 14 (Brandon_Reister, naltmank, Shoulderguy, TokyoSlim, Crepe, Brannox, Nimbat1003, ffff0, paulmci27, Zanarkand, Capnbobamous, Exist 2 Inspire, bam541, robert7lee)
    #2: 1 (Hazz3r)
    #3: 4 (Sazime, Phbz, Zindenga, El Shmiablo)
    #4: 2 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Sentinel Beach)
    HM: 1 (bard91)

Information

Release date: January 26 [US], January 29 [EU]
    Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Action role-playing, Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar at it's best. They created such a fully realized old west setting, while also paying the utmost attention to detail in practically every aspect of the game. RDR also has such an engrossing story, with one of the best ending acts to a video game. It's well-deserving of a top spot on this list.

As for Mass Effect 2, it was my GOTY in 2010 and I still stand by that decision now. It's my favorite game of the trilogy.

I wish the Mass Effect franchise was still thriving today like the From Software games. Where Yu Suzuki announces a Bluepoint remake for Mass Effect, talented developers around the world are making Mass Effect-likes and you always have a new game to be excited about. Instead, I have to accept the fact that Mass Effect is a dead franchise. Thanks EA!

• Mass Effect 2 is probably one of my biggest gaming holes.

I played the first one quite a few years after its release, loved it, proceeded to buy the whole trilogy that was re-released. Started playing 2 after importing my save from 1 (I loooove games that do that), played for maybe 3 or 4 hours, then I think it was a long crunch period at work so I never had time to play, and by the time I wanted to get back to it I had forgotten what I already played, didn't feel like starting over, then slowly forgot about it, played other stuff, moved to a new country without taking my 360 with me, and it's now waiting for me patiently, gathering dust and sorrow.

• ME2 was definitively my favorite in the franchise but personally I found DAO to be myfavoirte Bioware game by a long shot, I'm kinda curious to see how I much I would like ME2 if I played it today, but I know I enjoyed it a lot back when.

Red Dead I quite honestly did not like for the most part, the mission design was pretty repetitive and while it did have some pretty cool moments most of the time playing the game wasn't very entertaining for me, in my eyes it was another clear step from the high point that was San Andreas.

• Sincerest apologies for the wall.

I've been on record several times regarding personal negative sentiment towards Rockstar games, but for Red Dead Redemption, I decided to watch Jones's full playthrough, Red Dead Revisited, because I wanted to see what about the game was special. Yes, yes, I know playing a game for ones-self is a completely different experience than watching it, but that stream set was just reaffirming that it wasn't for me. To use a counter-example, I've loved watching Huber and Damiani go through several Resident Evils, and while I'm not ever going to play those, THOSE full playthroughs are a good time. Looking forward whichever one of them goes through Village next year.

As for my, and the forums' 2010 GOTY, to go on and on regarding its greatness feels unnecessary. While I prefer the first game, the second is objectively the most well-rounded of the three in practically every area, from design to scenario. If I had to give any nitpicks, I've got three:

• The biggest gripe is there are WAY too many party members to choose from. The roster could've been cut by HALF and it still would have been a solid game. Because of two or three characters having too similar a build, I tend to gravitate to personalities moreso than skillset, which is why Garrus is permanently in my squad for 2. I'll typically have Tali, Thane, or Grunt be my third member until Legion comes along, and that's only because you have him for such a tiny (relatively speaking) amount of time, so I always have to feel like I have to have him throughout the remainder of the game. Personally, to round out the crew, I would also include Mordin and Miranda, but after that, Jacob, Samara/Morinth, Jack, Kasumi, and Zaeed all feel unnecessary compared to everyone else (Yes, I know the latter two are DLC characters).

• Some of the side quests are slightly meh, but are still enjoyable and a good way to rack up experience points. While I tend to gravitate more towards the RPG aspects than the shooting (which I dislike the ammo system as opposed to the heat system), I feel some side-quests could be a little better.

• While I love the story concept of gathering a multiple-disciplined team to take on a suicide mission, I'm not a fan of having the story thrust be Cerberus primarily. I would've enjoyed the idea of going Rogue if wasn't terrorist backed.

But on the whole, those are just minor in an otherwise phenomenal game. Not going to tag everyone because with so many people, I think that's kind of pointless, but I DO want to note the sheer amount of #2 votes Red Dead got and GOTY picks ME 2 got. That's solid evidence the top two were going to be locked in.

And now we've reached the end... My picks! With words on the games that didn't make in (In ascending order):

1.) Mass Effect 2
    2.) Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    3.) God of War: Ghost of Sparta
    4.) Halo: Reach
    5.) (HM) God of War III
    6.) (HM) Metro: 2033
    7.) (HM) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
    8.) (HM) Call of Duty: Black Ops
    9.) (Didn't make the cut and the one game I've seen from start to finish that I haven't played) Red Dead Redemption
    10.) (Didn't make the cut) Kingdom Hearts: Re:Coded

Kingdom Hearts: Re:Coded is an abomination. It really has no connection with any major plot elements, is complete nonsense (which is a MASSIVE statement regarding Kingdom Hearts story/lore), and the gameplay constantly switches up to many uninteresting and frustrating styles. Not only the worst Kingdom Hearts game by FAR, but also one of the worst games I've played. And I don't say 'worst' in all the games I've ever played lightly.

As I said, I watched Red Dead, so I have a general idea, and while I do think it's better than Force Unleashed II, I couldn't in good conscience give it an HM without personally playing it.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is fine. I like the concept, and the twist is neat, but I just don't like the way it looks, and after playing the MW trilogy, this was starting to show I've had my fill of the series, for however brief a time I gave it a chance.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II... The best thing I can say about is, at the time, it was very pretty. And while I've always loved the concept of playing as a Vader apprentice gone rogue and turning to the Light, this game is massively short, and both endings are underwhelming. Plus several combat encounters are just not fun. Much like Re:Coded, played it once, never see myself going back to it again.

Finally, Metro: 2033 is decent and has a wonderful atmosphere. While on its own its ok, playing it then IMMEDIATELY following it up with Last Light really improves this game's quality in retrospect. That's how I've always played these two games, so I guess my view is perma-skewed that way. While this doesn't control that well, the game's (and series) biggest flaw is the morality system. Like I said for Last Light during that GOTY thread,

• "Not once are you told its there, doesn't let you know what you can do to either improve or deteriorate your morality, and the outcome is ENTIRELY dependent on this system... if there's just a little note here and there giving you the awareness on having an opportunity nearby, or instructing at the start to what you need to keep your eyes out for, then I would have a higher view of it."

Still, I enjoy the world, characters and story enough to replay it every now and then.

And I do believe that wraps up my post! Looking forward to the recap how things shook out, but now I'm EXTREMELY hyped for the upcoming Game of the Decade thread. I think this is the most anticipation I've had for a thread since we did the top 100 years ago. As always, thanks to Axel for always doing these for us. Thanks for reading any of this and see you in the next one!

• I would just like to say that ya'll are some Yakuza 3 haters. I get that the NA version was the worst version of the game, but still! (also, this has been fixed in the HD collection version)

I shout out Mass Effect 2 in this month's Reaction Shots about Samurai movies. The obvious choice for GOTY 2010 to me.

1. Mass Effect 2
    2. Red Dead Redemption
    3. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
    4. Fallout: New Vegas

Yakuza 3, Limbo, Deadly Premonition, Heavy Rain

• Red Dead Redemption is my #4.

I played it when it was added to PS Plus. I think I had good time with the game, but it wasn’t something special. However the ending was very impressive and a couple of previous chapters made it even more powerful. It’s my #4 because Enslaved (my #3) had equally powerful ending, but I cared more about its lead characters, and I never even wanted to replay Red Dead Redemption unlike my #2 and #1.

• Mass Effect 2 is my #1.

We are talking about the middle of the trilogy here, so obviously the narrative can only go so far. But I think that BioWare did almost everything they could within these limitations. Convincing reason to reset your character? Check. Convincing reasons for gameplay change (reloading instead of cooldowns) and new ship with new crew? Check. Ending? Huge check! This game also have faster pace than Mass Effect which is a perfect fit for the overall narrative of racing against time. And production values were exceptional for that era. Basically I had amazing time from start to finish, loved every companion and felt remorse when one of them died. Even though I love Mass Effect 3 more, Mass Effect 2 is without a doubt my 2010 GotY.

• Here’re my top 8 2010 games:

1. Mass Effect 2
    2. Heavy Rain
    3. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    4. Red Dead Redemption
    5. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    6. Alan Wake
    7. Limbo
    8. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

The only one that missed top 25 is Alan Wake. I don’t like old games. Not only they look worse than modern games, but they plays worse (follow-up games improve and refine every good idea of the original). Even things like storytelling and vibe are done better now because lots of things were previously impossible. So when last year I’ve got Alan Wake for free on Epic, I wasn’t expecting to play it for more than 5 minutes. To my total surprise I’ve not only played more, I’ve finished the game and when Epic added DLC for free, I’ve finished it as well. I can’t say that there was any great moment in this game or its DLC, but the fact that 2010 game I’ve never touched before was playable in 2019 is a huge achievement in my book. I can’t go higher than #6 because my #1-#5 had at least one memorable moment, but #6 is fully deserved.

• @ffff0 I also played Alan Wake last year and also found it really enjoyable, though I don't generally have as much problem with old games, but it definitively didn't feel old in many ways to me. it just barely made my list though since this one did end up being a game with plenty of games I liked.

• I'm one of the weirdo that prefers ME1 over 2, but ME2 is just such a polished and focused game compared to the first one. Almost everything that they try to do in this game, they do it spectacularly. It's a bit funny looking at the whole picture, since ME2 is kinda like the filler story in the grand scheme of things, and it's also considered by many to be the best ones.

Red Dead Redemption is such a cool game. Not much to say, other than this used to be my favorite Rockstar games, before GTA V and RDR2 overtook it.

My complete list:

1. Mass Effect 2
    2. Red Dead Redemption
    3. Skate 3
    4. MGS Peace Walker
      HM:
      Vanquish
      Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
      Just Cause 2
      Alpha Protocol

I'm still so bummed that Peace Walker didn't make it. God, that's such a good game. It basically mastered the art of being a great PSP game.

I'm kinda surprised Undead Nightmare didn't make it, it's honestly one of my favorite standalone expansions ever. The zombies are pretty scary.

I remember myself basically popularized Just Cause 2 in my middle school when I brought my laptop to school and played it in front of my friends. They were blown away by how much crazy shit the game allows you to do with that damned grappling hook. A few days after that, basically every other class in the school had someone who also started playing it, lol.

Alpha Protocol is a sick game, and I'll hear no objections of it.

Thanks again to @Axel for doing another one of these lists (especially starting it off so soon right after the last one), and thanks to everyone that participated!

• My list:

#1. Mass Effect 2
    #2. Fallout: New Vegas
    #3. Red Dead Redemption
    #4. Super Meat Boy
    #5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    #6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
    #7. Pokémon SoulSilver
    #8. Mount & Blade: Warband

#9. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    #10. Civilization V
    #11. Alan Wake
    #12. Limbo
    #13. Kirby's Epic Yarn
    #14. NCAA Football 11
    #15. Lost Planet 2
    #16. Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
    #17. Two Worlds II
    #18. Halo: Reach
    #19. Fable III
    #20. Final Fantasy XIII

Super Meat Boy is one of many early Xbox Live games on Xbox 360 that blew away my expectations of how great an indie game could be. It has flawless controls, gameplay is both challenging and rewarding at the same time. Admittedly, I'm not great at challenging 2D platformers, but somehow I was able to mentally get into a zone and finish Super Meat Boy. It was one of the most satisfying moments I've had playing a game.

Mount & Blade: Warband is occasionally janky and has some basic graphics even by 2010 standards. Despite that, the game is still an incredible open world adventure. It took me some time to understand the game’s nuances but once I did, I found a game that was unlike any other experience I've played before.

Thanks again to @Axel, I'm looking forward to the Game of the 2010s. It should be interesting.

• Only my #2 got in.

1. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Burnout with licensed cars and an insane budget)
    2. Halo: Reach (Solid campaign, multiplayer less so, but Forge World was something else)
    3. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Haven't actually played it, but it gives off such sweet vibes)
    4. Hydro Thunder Hurricane (Solid arcade racer, big tracks, worthy of the Hydro Thunder name)

• Yesterday, I just jumped back into my Mass Effect 2 save file from 2013 which was imported from Mass Effect 1. Like @Axel I put it down and neglected to pick it back up. It took me an hour or so but I regained my bearings.

The game is enjoyable enough but I still kinda want to double down on not seeing how this is GOTY material. I played one mission just now where people crash landed on an island and the crew were there fending for 10 years. The people were speaking like cavemen and one woman claimed she doesn't remember how to read. It was like 10 years...

Idk a lot of this writing is suuuuuuper low TV-caliber. It's enjoyable enough in its gameplay loop of flying to a planet to start a quest, talk to a guy, walk around, talk to another guy, shoot some people, then it climaxes and you return to the Normandy. Usually every quest is like 10-15 minutes and you feel like you're playing a linear level as opposed to exploring the galaxy. For a game so focused on the galaxy, its actually the most linear and on-the-rails RPGs out there.

It's just... ok...

I want to finish the trilogy so I'm going to see it though. I'm @ like 18 hours in so I assume it's going to start to crescendo soon-ish but I still haven't even assembled my team so maybe I have another 20 hours to go. Watched my friend play some late game back when, but I forget it all.

Somehow after all of these years, I haven't had the Mass Effect trilogy spoiled for me. I just know ME3 ends in a borderline binary decision but I have no idea what any of it is about.

Just an observation but everybody above seems to be saying they like Mass Effect 1 or Mass Effect 3 the best. I personally adore ME1, don't love ME2, and haven't played ME3. Maybe ME2 is the closeted dark horse in the series after all...

• Not much to say about the top 2 other than what's been said. I consider Mass Effect 2 a masterpiece and wish I could play it for the first time again. Nothing has really captured that beautiful feeling of an interactive Space opera ever since, IMO.

Also, y'all are a bunch of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow haters. In hindsight, I should've put it higher. It was originally my number 2, but then I looked at my list and realized there were games that I've played much more and are pretty objectively better than it, so I dropped it to 4. It's so dang good, though. Forget the license it's attached to and just enjoy the utterly bonkers story, killer boss fights, and legitimately / incredible / score.

My list:

1. Mass Effect 2
    2. Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver
    3. God of War III
    4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
      HM: Heavy Rain, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Red Dead Redemption

• I want to go back and play Mass Effect 2, but when it came out I had a very difficult time getting into the series. Bioware RPGs don't really vibe with me in a way where I'm never compelled to get into the story or the characters. If the trilogy comes to new consoles, I'll probably try it again, but it just never grabbed me in some ways. I appreciate Red Dead, and played most of 1 and all of 2, but Rockstar games are also just not my vibe. I also just wanted John Martson to be nice to people, but I feel like I don't root for anyone.

In honesty, this was the year I started doing journalism and writing articles, and I specifically remember being the odd one out when the rest of my group were all in on the best games of the year being Red Dead and Mass Effect. I couldn't argue as the odd one out, sort of like Jones with Red Dead 2 in GOTYs a couple years back. I recognize that they're both phenomenal games, they're just not my jam, and had a lot more fun with other games that year, and wish others got more recognition.

As for my list:

1: Limbo (stand by it as an innovation that is incredible)
    2: Mario Galaxy 2 (Love it to death)
    3: Scott Pilgrim vs The World (Wish the saves would work and that we could get a rerelease where everyone could appreciate it)
    4: 999 - Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Spent maybe that number of hours in the bathroom playing this)

Honorable Mentions:
    Heavy Rain (Better in retrospect, but I still dig it and its vibes)
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow (Was never into God of War, but I really dug the atmosphere and world of this. It was my first review, and I still think it has such solid Halloween vibes in a great way)
    Civilization 5 (Because I spent one more turn too many times)
    Pac Man Championship Edition DX (I love this game! The colors and music and just Pac Man are so fun everyday. It may not be classic Pac Man, but I love the new direction with snakes of ghosts that you just chow through)

Had such a good time doing this with everyone! Looking forward to 2011!

• @happygaming said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2010!:

Had such a good time doing this with everyone! Looking forward to 2011!

I'm afraid we did 2011 already. We've actually now done every year from 2010 to 2019, meaning that the next thread will be for Game of the Decade, in which the eligible games will be the winners from those threads.

• @oscillator Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. Still excited regardless. I'll have to go through those threads to make sure my list matches up to be accurate