Pokemon Snap 2 Confirmed. Seriously.

• @oscillator Sure, the game definitely looks better at night time.

• @bam541 The graphics of the old N64 one never bothered me, so the graphics of this one definitely won't. Of course people are always going to look at EVERY Switch game and go "wow, if only this was made for high end PCs with ray-tracing" but for a handheld system, I still think it looks quite good.

• @mbun I mean, graphical relativity is a whole different story. I didn't mind the original Snap's graphics either, but if they released a new game with those graphics I might raise a brow.
    As for wanting Nintendo games to have ray tracing, I'm honestly fine with how they look now (unless its pure laziness like Sword & Shield or outright insultingly bad like the Diamond and Pearl remakes) but I would love for some more consistent performance among games.

• @mbun it's just disappointing to me that most of these Pokemon games doesn't seem to utilize the hardware as well as Nintendo's first party games. I'm currently playing BOTW, and I'm very satisfied by how it looks, and it's an early game in the console's life.

• @el-shmiablo Sword and Shield wasn't too bad outside the Wild Area, which they clearly struggled with. Diamond and Pearl Remakes are outsourced to a dev studio who have only assisted on games and made Pokemon Home before this, and I agree those games look awful. I want performance too, but everyone keeps making damn open world and musous, which will inevitably end up really ugly or really poor performance, because people don't accept "less enemies on screen at once" these days.

@bam541 I'm really not sure how BotW did it as a launch game, but I'm sure having twice as long of a dev cycle as those Pokemon games sure helped. Even then, there were afew hitch areas at launch and Korok Forest still does it bad, plus the Master Cycle Zero actually breaks the game, because it wasn't designed for you to go that fast period. The two Switch games that just feel like magic to me are Dragon Quest XI S and now Monster Hunter Rise. Both of those I just am in awe of. Those devs must know something about the hardware others just don't.

• https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2021/04/13/new-pokemon-snap-preview-back-behind-the-lens

Preview from Game Informer.

Sounds like there's alternate/secret paths in each level, and they have day and night versions which completely shake up which Pokémon show up. Plus as you earn points you unlock new Research levels which also alter the behaviour of the Pokémon in the level.

So all that combined should give the game quite some legs (unless there's like, 3 levels). Definitely going to be more fleshed out than the original, as it should. Staying cautiously optimistic about this one!

• This post is deleted!

• Spoiler Warning for the latter half of this, but otherwise here's an overview trailer:
    Youtube Video

• Apparently Pokkén Tournament is the reason New Pokémon Snap happened at all.

Speaking to IGN, New Pokémon Snap director Haruki Suzaki confirms that Bandai Namco's treatment of the Pokémon world in Pokkén Tournament directly led to its involvement with New Pokémon Snap -- though that doesn't mean the original Pokémon Snap developer, HAL Laboratory, was left out entirely.

"Pokkén Tournament utilized Bandai Namco Studio's strengths and it made Pokémon appealing in a new way," he says. "Because of this, we got another opportunity to do something together again and this led to the development of New Pokémon Snap. We were able to talk with the developers [from the original game] and the project started with the involvement of many people."

Suzaki also affirms that my theory about making Pokémon a seamless part of the world is correct. The original Pokémon Snap did this, of course, but was at the time limited by the technology available at the time. 22 years later, New Pokémon Snap can make better-looking monsters interact in more believable ways with a better-looking world.

Suzaki suggests Bandai Namco was well-aware of global fan interest in Pokémon Snap, and points to the capabilities of the Nintendo Switch as a key reason why now was a good time to make a new entry. But he also notes that "the idea of photography has changed so much in the last 20 years," indicating that these shifts were also a significant motivator in bringing Pokémon Snap back. Though he didn't elaborate on this point, it's already at least somewhat visible in the photo editing mode we've seen in prior Pokémon Snap previews, as well as the shift from printing out photos at Blockbuster kiosk (remember THAT?!) to sharing them on social media via the Switch's built-in image share features.

• An app for a two hundred dollar mini printer accessory?
    Nintendo, you shouldn't have!

• @el-shmiablo TPC / Nintendo approved the cross promotion I guess, but otherwise it is an already existing failed product being rebranded to sell to Switch owners who are going to get New Snap and play AC regularly and such. I don't think much of it, especially since it seems as though it has to go through your phone, so it isn't even really a Switch thing at all, just a phone app for an overpriced printer marketed towards Switch owners.

• There's some new trailers including one focused on sounds, but we're so close to launch, I'd probably say don't?

• i don't speak Japanese

• I have no idea what's going on, but maybe check your Preorders for New Pokemon Snap.

Walmart emailed me to tell me the Preorder I made back in January was going to arrive 2 days late. Canceled order. Checked Amazon for Preorder, and it was estimating not shipping for an entire month. My friend said his Target Preorder had been delayed until May 4th. Walmart also has new Preorder Bundles that just went up a couple days ago that give you either a free Pokeball hat or Pikachu beanie included with the game cost, both of which estimate Release Day Delivery right now. So, I ordered one of those now. Shitty if they delayed normal Preorders to prioritize these new Bundles instead, but either way I'll try my luck with the free hat and game claiming it'll be here launch day until something goes wrong with that, and then I'll probably just go pick it up in the store launch day if even this fails.

• pre-order bonus's are different everywhere. in Australia the EB pre-order bonus is a poster and the JB Hifi preorder bonus is stickers.

i cbf getting the pre-order bonus's so i'm just going to price match and get it cheap

• @yoshi I'd still check on your Preorder and make sure the date hasn't been changed on you. Seems like a widespread thing, although I can't say if it extends to other territories.

• @mbun EBgames Australia website still says April 30th.
    no changes here yet.

• Review is sounding good! :D
    Youtube Video