Half Year Game Of The Year

• Not a super unique answer, but I'm juggling FF7 Remake and Last of Us Part II. FF7 was definitely the most fun I've had playing a game this year, loved the combat and getting that platinum trophy was an absolute pleasure.

But also Last of Us was just so good stealthing around, and that story made me feel so so much that I can't stop thinking about it. It's tough to compare the two.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Xenogears is a mind blower but drops off in the second half due to very clearly running out of money.
    Xenosaga almost hits the same level of greatness but is a little too up it's own butt, plus also suffers from the "we ran out of money and time" thing as the series progresses.
    Xenoblade Chronicles is amazing play that game any way you can.
    XCX is pretty great but kinda disappointing after the majesty that was Xenoblade 1.
    Haven't played Xenoblade 2 and don't really have any intention since it veered off into the realm of cringey waifubait. God I hope they course correct this series.

• For the first time in well over a decade, I just haven't bought many games at all from the current year, in fact it's only been one. Even RE3 and Disaster Report 4, which are extremely high on my want list, I've just gone and let slip by.

It's going to have to be FF7 then, but sad as it is to say, even that was a little bit of a let down for me. I'm feeling quite low in general at the moment, not sure if it's all the lockdown stuff but my enthusiasm for gaming certainly isn't what it should be right now.

• Clubhouse games: 51 worldwide classics should also be up there as a contender

• This has been a pretty "nothing" year for me game-wise so yeah quite honestly it's Clubhouse Games. I've played way too much of that in the last month

• @sheria said in Half Year Game Of The Year:

For the first time in well over a decade, I just haven't bought many games at all from the current year, in fact it's only been one. Even RE3 and Disaster Report 4, which are extremely high on my want list, I've just gone and let slip by.

It's going to have to be FF7 then, but sad as it is to say, even that was a little bit of a let down for me. I'm feeling quite low in general at the moment, not sure if it's all the lockdown stuff but my enthusiasm for gaming certainly isn't what it should be right now.

Sher, just get Doom Eternal. pure gamey game. no cinematic movie game with QTE. just pure fast paced old school fun.

• Animal Crossing, but Curse of the Moon 2 comes out soon... just sayin.

• I've got ten hours left of TLOU 2 and, for me, Doom Eternal is still GOTY so far. I want to get RE3 and FF7 Remake but I'm waiting for both of those games to go on sale.

• Ori over Kentucky Route Zero, Doom Eternal, and Resident Evil 3 so far... and as an aside; I understand enjoying Animal Crossing, but I can't fathom putting that game anywhere near a GOTY list.

• I think the only games I've played that can technically be considered to have released in this year are Black Mesa (which released in 2015 but wasn't complete until this year) and Dreams (which was released in early access last year).
    When I get around to suing them, I have a feeling Doom Eternal and FFVIIR Remake will be very high on my list.

• @miserableperson said:

I understand enjoying Animal Crossing, but I can't fathom putting that game anywhere near a GOTY list.

I already have over 900 hours in it and feel like I've done squat beyond collecting stuff, and the game is just beginning for me. The sound design of the game is immaculate, and even though lots of stuff from past games is still missing in the base game and the online experience leaves alot to be desired, there's just so many quality of life improvements from the last that I feel like I can literally live in the game, especially now that I'm not restricted by a handheld's battery life.

• @mbun That's so funny to hear you say that quality of life has improved, I can't imagine how hellish the previous entries were to play. New Horizons was my first AC game, and it had to be the most tedious and tiring game I have ever played - certainly within the past 5 years. Its unfortunate too because I liked it at first - the vibes, visuals, and sounds are all very charming. In the end though, it just feels like a never ending time sink with little to do outside of mundane chores. I'm holding myself back from being very harsh because I know people like it, and there are things I like about it; but its just something to me that cannot be paraded around as a well designed game. Again, I don't blame anyone for digging into it and playing a ton of hours - its just too severely flawed for that kind of an award.

By the way my post wasn't a shot at you or anyone else enjoying a game - Its honestly just shocking to me how well the game was critically received by people and its going to pain me to see publications nominate it at the end of the year.

• @miserableperson said:

I can't imagine how hellish the previous entries were to play.

In the original, fruit didn't even stack. Biggest improvement to me from New Leaf is being able to move buildings around after the fact and decide where villagers are going to move in. Used to be crazy tedious trying to cheat the game into putting villagers where you wanted them. There's whole new major systems added for this one and tons of little improvements that add up though. Also the game just looks exponentially better than the previous one and pretty impressive for a Switch game, and they finally modeled all the villagers in this one instead of using villager species templates, so the level of detail on the over three hundred villagers adds up.

Here's just a random example to point out when I say it could end up my GOTY. There's objects in the game that blow air, and they actually blow air, like you can have a rotating fan and when it rotates in the direction of a plant, the plant will blow around. They didn't need to add physics just for something as minor as this, but they did, and that attention to detail, that soul sets it above and beyond. The lighting is also pretty crazy at times.

In the end though, it just feels like a never ending time sink with little to do outside of mundane chores.

It is a game designed to live in for a long period of time, a year or afew years. You are supposed to play lots over a long period, but gamers have programmed themselves to cram til credits with every new game to hurry up onto the next, so it clashes hard with that mindset if you don't know what you're getting yourself into. That's why lots of people quickly burn out and bounce off after a week or two, but then you're honestly missing the majority of the game. Summer (or Winter if Southern Hemisphere, another thing they added for this one) is just beginning, so the game has only been through the first of four seasons, and the devs have already claimed this game will get multiple years worth of support with lots of major updates.

its just something to me that cannot be paraded around as a well designed game
    its just too severely flawed for that kind of an award

I've felt that way about games people have praised as GOTYs many times before, (shoutout to Inside) but it just comes down to differences in what you're looking for in a game. There's for sure real reasons to knock the game like how needlessly tedious the airport menu is, but even with those flaws I still feel it is an excellent game that is in your own words "a never ending time sink", which for you might be a negative, but for me it means it is the game that keeps on giving tons and tons of content, more content than most will feasibly ever experience. I already have over 900 hours in the game, mind you much of that is idle time, but it just shows how expansive the experience is, that I can literally live in the game between real life responsibilities, and yeah I'm having a blast. So while it might not have resonated as strongly with you, which is fine, there's definitely many people finding all kinds of different ways to harness the game as a platform for all kinds of crazy stuff, which I'd argue is the mark of a resounding success.

• Kentucky Route Zero, Ori, Last of Us 2, Animal Crossing?

Really depends how I look at it.
    Animal Crossing should be my winner. Is it my favourite game? No. But today I made exactly 100 straight days playing ACNH, it has been therapeutic both for the lockdown and more importantly helped me deal with quitting smoking. If this was, what game should be in the cover of Life Magazine, that would definitely be Animal Crossing.

Last of Us, it does so much incredible stuff at such a high level of execution. But the editing and some bloating really hurt this game.

Ori is close to perfect. Almost everything it aims to achieve it does so flawlessly. But it was released in a poor state. Frame rate issues, crashes, glitches. Didn't stopped me from loving it but it was a bit too much.

Kentucky Route Zero would be my goty right now. So experimental and creative. Beautifully written.

• Yeah scratch TLOU2 ff7 and Doom eternal are my front runners.