Swimmin in 7s

• What are your favourite 7/10 games? Either games Easy Allies gave a 7 or ones you'd personally give a 7/10 to.

• Off the top of my head I'd say something like The Missing, though if I think of any more I'll try to share them. I'm always on the lookout for great 7/10 games because they're usually my favorite palette cleanser in between big releases.

The Missing has such an awesome narrative and story, and tells it all so well through its mechanics, but the game is sort of sluggish and playing it feels like it may fall apart. Even though it's sort of a choppy experience though, the story and vibes are so good to raise all of it above the sum of its parts!

• Days Gone. It's a game that aims so high, and gets away with just enough to make it a memorable experience, even with all of its flaws piling up. I expected the horde encounters to be something special, and it is just that. There's nothing quite like being chased by a hundred of raging zombies here and trying to come up with something to kill them in the meantime. I didn't expect the story to be so powerful, and despite it being too long, it's still more than worthwhile to finish it since there's so many great moments scattered all over the game.

Shout out to Alpha Protocol and Binary Domain, those two are also definitive swimming in 7s games in my eyes. Binary Domain is just so fun to play, and Alpha Protocol is presented in a very charming way that makes its mechanical flaws less apparent. Also, I haven't played John Woo's Strangehold since 10+ years ago, but I imagine it would fit being a 7 so much. It's like one of the first few PS3 games I ever had. I want more games of that vibe: playing as a law enforcer of some sort in an Asian setting.

• Its a shame I can’t remember them off the top, but looking back, I used to play a lot of ‘swimming in 7s’ games. When you’re younger, you are less critical. Some kids are critical but I wasn’t.

I mean I really liked a lot of generic games or clone games back in the day.

• Ford Racing 3
    • Test Drive Unlimited
    • Heavenly Sword
    • Kane & Lynch 1
    • GUN
    • Shrek 2
    • Dante’s Inferno

One awesome 7/10 I loved back when I was younger is Sim Coaster on PC. Idk if it was attached to EA at all, but it was a super streamlined Roller Coaster Tycoon knockoff with more cartoony graphics and a fun sort of story progression as you make a better theme park. You take over a theme park from some old guy and you fulfil his dream of making a sweet fun and profitable theme park.

Youtube Video

I also really liked Mall Tycoon and it’s 2000s mall aesthetics with hollow ambient elevator music the whole time.

I refuse to list Alien Isolation because that game is a 10/10 masterpiece!!

• Zone of the Enders is a pretty neat game that nobody ever talks about because any and all conversation around it is completely eclipsed by either the fact that it came with the MGS2 demo disc or the admittedly better sequel.

• Remember Me is pretty cool. Think I enjoyed it more than most, but it is probably a 7. Singularity is another good one for anyone who likes Bioshock.

• Kingdom Come Deliverance was a surprisingly good game but it can be frustrating at times. It has a 72 on Opencritic. I would score it slightly higher from my experience. Though I played it on PC, where it had fewer performance issues.

• 72 is a criminally low score for Kingdom Come. I get it had the jank and some questionable design choices, but making a realistic medieval sim with non-hero characters and pulling it off is a feat of its own.

I’ve played it on both PC and PS4 and the inability to have unlimited saves in the PS4 version is a deal breaker for me, but this game should be at least an 8/10 for its ambition alone.

• @shoulderguy Wow, 72 is so low for it. I feel like KCD is a game that went above and beyond with what it wants to do, maybe it being too niche had something to do with that score.

• I think Yakuza Kiwami, IMO, the worst game in the mainline Yakuza series, is a 7.5 or so. I also think Mass Effect Andromeda is probably around there.

• Sleeping Dogs is higher than a 7 imo, but it has similar qualities with one. It wasn't finished, and it feels like it. It's endlessly amusing to me that they got Emma Stone to voice a character, but didn't have the resources to give her more than two filler missions.

• @paulmci27 The funny thing about Remember Me is that many of us can't remember it.

• @jdincinerator rimshot

• @jdincinerator Just try telling that to the dozens of us that bought it.

• @paulmci27 I bought it and thought it was alright-but can't say anything special-at least they had the tacky line "remember you later".

• All the unchartered games. Decent enough but gameplay felt forced and the NATE screams got the better of me

• How about Syndicate (2012). The fun FPS reboot with too much bloom. Still felt like a cool sci-fi shooter campaign and -- darn it -- I enjoyed that it was attached to the Syndicate IP! Also contains a legendary music remix by Skrillex. I never got to play the multiplayer (which was actually a quirky, 4 player class-based cooperative thing) but I've seen people get really into it.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC on the PS2 is another one that I really like but seems to get remembered as just a standard 3rd person shooter with unusual acrobatics. Heck, throw in the PS1 GITS game as long as we're at it, although I think that game's legacy has turned out to be quite favorable as an underrated gem.

Surprisingly, coming up with swimming-in-7 examples is giving me a lot of pause even though I've always enjoyed hearing the Allies talk about their personal Si7s. I think it is because the way I internally rate my games naturally makes these games higher than a "7" for me, and part of my brain doesn't want to climb down from that higher level of praise just so I can fit it into the thread.

It's like, for a game to be a "7" in the widely understood sense it has to meet and stay within some kind of middle-of-the-road level of expectations, but when that game is worth bringing up as a "swimming in 7s" that also means it was a favorite for you in particular, and that you still think about (if not still replay it). A game might be a legit 7, and you might have legitimately beat it and enjoyed it, but if it passes through you and gets largely forgotten then it isn't a Si7. That's kind of my problem: games where that enjoyment sticks with me are special enough that I can't call them sevens.

• @chocobop said in Swimmin in 7s:

How about Syndicate (2012). The fun FPS reboot with too much bloom. Still felt like a cool sci-fi shooter campaign and -- darn it -- I enjoyed that it was attached to the Syndicate IP! Also contains a legendary music remix by Skrillex. I never got to play the multiplayer (which was actually a quirky, 4 player class-based cooperative thing) but I've seen people get really into it.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC on the PS2 is another one that I really like but seems to get remembered as just a standard 3rd person shooter with unusual acrobatics. Heck, throw in the PS1 GITS game as long as we're at it, although I think that game's legacy has turned out to be quite favorable as an underrated gem.

Surprisingly, coming up with swimming-in-7 examples is giving me a lot of pause even though I've always enjoyed hearing the Allies talk about their personal Si7s. I think it is because the way I internally rate my games naturally makes these games higher than a "7" for me, and part of my brain doesn't want to climb down from that higher level of praise just so I can fit it into the thread.

It's like, for a game to be a "7" in the widely understood sense it has to meet and stay within some kind of middle-of-the-road level of expectations, but when that game is worth bringing up as a "swimming in 7s" that also means it was a favorite for you in particular, and that you still think about (if not still replay it). A game might be a legit 7, and you might have legitimately beat it and enjoyed it, but if it passes through you and gets largely forgotten then it isn't a Si7. That's kind of my problem: games where that enjoyment sticks with me are special enough that I can't call them sevens.

Gosh, well said. I was trying my hardest to think of a few answers as well, but I couldn't come up with anything really.

Something like Singularity is a good 8.5-9 game as far as I'm concerned. Am I supposed to go by metacritic? By budget behind the game? By how overlooked it is?

I mean I actually quite enjoyed The Last of Us. The game had a plethora of problems, but overall I think it's a decent 7/10 game. When I've stated this in the past though, all I got was pointed at metacritic.

"legit 7/10" doesn't really exist.

• Yeah like The Last of Us was a 10/10 when I first played it and a 7.5/10 after repeated playthroughs. I don't consider it a 'Swimmin in 7s' cause it goes so far and beyond what I or anybody else would deem the usual 7/10.

Like when I think of 'Swimmin in 7s' I think about a game with mild to low ambition that gets the job done, or a highly ambitious yet flawed game that is still enjoyable, but I don't think about a highly ambitious game that DOES get they job done, has satisfied millions, is considered an all time classic, but also has a bunch of stuff that annoys me so I personally rate it 7/10.

• But I don't consider TLoU to have gotten the job done. I don't rate it a 7 due to some petty annoyances, I genuinely consider it a rather mediocre game for a lot of reasons. Everyone rates a game personaly, that's the problem with this question. It seems like it would be more appropriate to ask for games considered underrated here.

Out of curiosity though, how was TLoU ambitious as a video game?