Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition (Switch, PS4, Phone)

• Long ago, a giant meteorite fell on the land, and deadly miasma blanketed the world.
    Crystals keep the deadly miasma in check, but the crystals' power is not eternal.
    0_1593519725909_Chalice.jpg
    Young adventurers embark on a journey once a year seeking "drops of myrrh" to purify the crystals. These are the chronicles of brave young adventurers who journey to protect their home. These are the "CRYSTAL CHRONICLES."
    Youtube Video

New features to make your adventure more memorable than ever:

• HD Graphics
    • English Voiceovers for the first time
    • New UI improvements and added Mini-Map
    • New player Appearance options and Equipment
    • Supports Save Data Transfer between platforms
    • Online Multiplayer Mode with Crossplay on all supported platforms
    • Quick Chat commands & Magic Timer for synchronizing attacks online
    • High-Difficulty Dungeons & Bosses to explore after completing the main story
    • Updated Soundtrack with 50 newly-composed tracks by the original game's composer, Kumi Tanioka

Launches August 27th 2020 alongside a free demo version called Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition Lite

With Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition Lite, adventurers can play through the first three dungeons in both single player and online multiplayer with cross-play functionality.

Additionally, players who purchase the full game will be able to host multiplayer sessions with players using Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition Lite, so a full party of up to four caravanners can play through up to 13 dungeons in the fantasy adventure together with one copy of the full game.

Save data can be carried over from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition Lite to the full game, ensuring players can seamlessly continue their progress in the magical fantasy adventure.

0_1593523118677_FFCC_annc_key_art scaled.png

• I strongly dislike this game for reasons that have nothing to do with the game. All of my friends and I played video games growing up, except for one who was only quasi-allowed to play games. I had one friend whose parents only had the family TV in the living room with CBC (public broadcasting aka hockey games) being the only channel.

He was allowed to play video games but his parents didn't buy them often and they didn't encourage him to play them. I understand why parents do this, but if they also don't let you run around town when playing outside then it just involves hours of road hockey which no sane person can tolerate for more than a few hours.

So he had a portable DVD player in his room since he wasn't allowed a TV and he had a GameCube with a few games: FF Crystal Chronicles, LOTR Third Age, and NHL. We'd sit on his bed and I'd have to squint to even see what the hell was going on in this game. I have nothing but boring annoyances with this game. He seemed to love it but I couldn't even fathom how he'd sit on his bed 1 foot away from his screen like that. After a while we'd just convince him to go up the road to our other friends house so we can play Halo on his Xbox. My god no game should ever be played on a portable DVD player...

• @DIPSET Until 2007, most of the games I played were on a 13" CRT built in 1978. Games prior to the Xbox 360 era rarely went above 480 vertical lines, and even into that era tended to have a 4:3 mode, so it never felt uncomfortable for me. Even after I got a larger set, I still used that small set in certain situations, like when someone else wished to use the larger one. I distinctly recall playing Skyrim on the 13 incher. The small text was murder to read, but good fonts and all dialogue being voiced made it more than tolerable. Note that the picture quality was really good on that set; the only real drawback was the size.

• @dipset ... I used to choose to play games on the portable gamecube screen, even when I had the option to use the TV. I don't remember why.

• @naltmank mad jealous you had one of those. And because it was cool, that's why

• Will it have local coop or do we all need to have switches and some dumb cable to link them all up to our switch lites?

• @e_zed_eh_intern said:

Will it have local coop

playstation.com said:

Join up to three friends for online adventures, or bring everyone together around one TV for couch co-op play in your quest to save civilization.

The original article on Playstation's site is gone now, but sites reported on it at the time. Unfortunately, we won't be linking Switch Lites to a real Switch with link cables and having our own screen during local play anymore, but I think I remember around announcement hearing they worked on the local multiplayer menus to be more manageable when you play like that.

@DIPSET @Oscillator Was still using an old CRT myself until it basically died on me while playing Splatoon. Thing had gotten so bad the screen would randomly green tint everything after playing for awhile, and the only way to fix it was to unplug the tv for an hour or two. It would also overheat and randomly turn off if I played through the green tint. Was pretty funny playing Splatoon of all things in that situation, but I didn't even get to the end of the campaign before I ended up upgrading straight from that to a nice, flat, light 1080p widescreen. What a crazy leap that was.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Still looking into this, but they've released a new tweet, deconfirming the previously confirmed offline local multiplayer it seems? Going to try to look into this more for exactly what it means, because you should still be able to play with multiple people with Switches in person locally, since that was a big feature of their last presentation.

Well, they've basically confirmed THIS works, but I guess it connects through online?

This tweet confirms you can play Online with either Friends or Strangers:

And this tweet claims they greatly increased the Inventory Limit for the Remaster:

So yeah, it seems they've cut the offline local coop. So there's still online coop with crossplay even and offline single player (with a Moogle companion, although not what I'd recommend), just no offline local multiplayer sharing a screen or not. You can still get together in person with your devices and play together, but it seems that will be functioning through online, so unfortunately it'll come with all the usual drawbacks of playing online versus playing something locally. For sure a bummer, but I planned to play this online anyway. Hell we're in Covid times so who the heck could even play locally if it was available anyways?

• Well shit guess I'm getting it for PS4 and Android then.

• Also, I'm not sure when this information became available, since the store pages weren't updated with this for so long, but this game is listed as costing only $30 on the Switch and PS4 shops. I was totally expecting Square Enix tax full price given all the bonus content and online and such, so that's surprisingly good news and also makes the DLC offered much easier to swallow, not that I'm really interested in weapons you'll inevitably outgrow and mimicing other characters from later in the series.

@El-Shmiablo You get a bonus theme on PS4 for preordering apparently.

• @dmcmaster This is old info, and I'm not sure this article is actually accurate. I think they just mean for connecting with random players, but information for this game has been a weird, wild ride, so hard to confirm either way until release.

• Lots of assorted info about the game in this Twitter thread:

The game performs well on both the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Loading takes about 5 seconds between areas. Online connection speed is decent, with only occasional lag. Enemy AI has seemingly been polished.

If you’re playing online, you will be asked to “continue” when you finish a dungeon, which simply has your party return to the same dungeon. You have to disband and reform the party to explore other dungeons. Every. Time.

The “new 13 post-game dungeons” are hard mode retextures of the main dungeons, with more difficult enemies, new dungeon hazards, reskinned bosses and new attack AI. They are not new areas.

Here's some other excerpts:

You cannot trade items with other players.
    With the new sorting and organization system of held-items, with capacity at 99, you should never run out of storage space.
    The player ID and game region is permanent and software based.
    A Square Enix ID is not required to play online, but there's a Friend Code system you have to use.
    Four save files are available.

Metacritic | Opencritic

Low score, but expected that from a multiplayer focused game. These always do poorly with critics.

• Just wanted a quick post about how this game has be plagued with all kinds of technical issues since launch that are slowly getting fixed as well as almost the entire fanbase complaining about some design aspects of the multiplayer ranging from the lack of local coop to no online "caravan" allowing players to play the game close to what it originally played like and even stuff like players having to replay dungeons a bunch with friends due to only the host getting the Myrrh Drops / Moogle Mail.

So far, they've been slowly working through the bigger issues, and I hope they continue and address the other complaints, but most of them haven't been acknowledged yet, so I guess at this point it could go either way. I've still been having a good time with the game, but some of their choices definitely compromised the experience it once was and are currently holding the game back from reaching the full potential it could. Not much else to report. Just hope they keep fixing it up.

• The lack of local coop seems baffling especially since 1. It was in the original

1. Switch version is perfect for local coop.

• @dmcmaster but in the original, everybody needed a GBA and a link cable which was all like $200 at the time and wildly impractical. Now if you want to play beside your friends, everybody just needs a Switch and a copy of the game and a Nintendo online account...

• @e_zed_eh_intern Actually, only one person needs a copy of the game for that scenario unless you want to play the postgame stuff, but the experience is much different than it used to be, and as a result everyone will have to do four times as many dungeons to progress everyone along, and this will also cause everyone to become overpowered. It is pretty poor design now.

@DMCMaster They claimed they had to choose between online or local during development. They didn't say if that was due to budget, time, design balance, or what though.

• https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/a-message-about-final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-edition

They're making some improvements. Not the big ones everyone is asking for yet, but still hoping they get to it.