Contentious Videogame Opinions

• Loose thoughts here, but I generally find that the strongest stories have relatively grounded characters. I wouldn't disagree that modern Western AAA games should diversify their lead characters to get a broader range of grounded everyday hero-type's, but I find almost all of my favourite films and novels have that deeply rooted and mapped out relatable characters and settings. Even something like "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemmingway has fashionable bourgeois characters that I don't share a common lifestyle with, but I can relate to their struggle to find some purpose in their day-to-day lives and careers. Point being, I think they can keep the trope but diversify into more variations of a grounded character.

• @bard91 said in Contentious Videogame Opinions:

@chocobop I don't remember which video it was but not too long ago Jim Sterling made a point where he addressed a lot of what you are mentioning in a great way.

It was more than just this, but at a base level it talked about the conflict of making a game with the target of very high profits, and the artistic vision that founded the game.

Don't remember the whole argument and I don't know that the points he made are completely accurate or valid, but I personally have little problem believing something like that, where after all is not different to the general clash you see in consumer media with for example big blockbuster and the most criticallly acclaimed films.

Do you happen to remember the video in question? To me, I am just thinking about what might cause me to be uninterested, and not so much what industry forces leads various attributes (like a grounded setting, etc.), but I am curious since you mentioned these things being addressed in a great way.

• @chocobop said:

but I love Resident Evil

Resident Evil definitely doesn't take itself too seriously.

• Would it be too mean to say that remade RE3 is just a haphazard reskin of remade RE2 with the obvious differences intact?

• @bard91 The dominant trends of triple A games are numerous and probably share equal grounding such as the advent and necessity of Battle Royale in multiplayer games, the growing need for games to have huge vacuous open-worlds, and maybe the lootbox craze really took off and obliterated the triple A landscape for a good while, oh and maybe the obsession with live service games that are never truly finished products. More than any other generation this one has been the most grotesque and alienating-of course this doesn't really count Nintendo because their games are usually always polished and colourful and fun. And what really underpins many of these games are that they aren't fun-as Regie Fils-Aime says "If it's not fun, why bother?"

• Vaan is a completely fine character.

• Sunset Overdrive is wayyyy better than Spiderman Ps4.

• @naltmank
    Vaan from Final Fantasy 12?

• @dmcmaster and its critically important sequel, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

• @paulmci27 Interesting viewpoint-how do you figure?

• @jdincinerator They're both pretty average but the combat & traversal is more fun in Sunset Overide. I don't like Spidermans spammy combat & traversal is mindlessly hitting X.

• @paulmci27 Completely agree.

• @paulmci27
    Also Sunset Overdrive has a better dynamic soundtrack, the one thing I kinda hate about Spiderman is that there's like one orchestral track that plays when swinging around and nothing else. Like you don't think Peter has like a "songs to swing to" playlist on Spotify or something?

• @paulmci27 Sunset is cool how you can pull off sick kills on rails but I think it's attitude is sickly sweet-I think it tries way too hard to be cool and hip that it kinda gets in the way of the refreshing ideas it does boast. Spider-Man may have you jumping and swinging in familiar fashion, but the way it feels is wonderfully fluid.

• The last couple Assassin's Creed games are top tier action RPGs.
    In my opinion Witcher 3 is the better game only because it excels so greatly at it's storytelling and characters, but in terms of gameplay, AC absolutely shits all over TW3.

• @el-shmiablo I totally agree, but that difference in the quality of writing goes a long way if you're playing a game for 100+ hours.

• @el-shmiablo

But don't you consider the dynamic and diverse storytelling in The Witcher 3 (and The Witcher series as well as other similar cRPG games) to be gameplay in itself? I feel as though the storytelling is so greatly affected by player input that its hard to ignore the give and take between the player and the game in regards to plot, story outcomes, relationships, etc.

Like, where the modern AC games focus on mainly combat (correct me if I'm wrong), the Witcher games focus on storytelling gameplay AND combat as the staple.

I feel the same way about Horizon. It's like an action game with some dialogue options whereas The Witcher 3 feels like the full package.

• @dipset yeah I haven't played any recent AC and have no interest to, but the comparisson between Witcher 3 and Horizon is absolutely spot on to me, 'gameplay' wise Horizon might be more entertaining, but the whole package of TW3 and how rich everything feels made it one of my favorite games ever, while Horizon is barely an afterthought for me at this point.

• @dipset Yeah, which is why I said that I think that ultimately Witcher 3 is the better game because it the areas in which it does excel are so vastly superior to AC.
    Real talk tho Witcher 3 combat is straight garbage.

• @el-shmiablo

Here's a contentious opinion, I think The Witcher 2 has better combat than TW3 (still not good), and I think TW2 is the better overall game.

Here's another contentious one: Assassin's Creed 1 is a great game.