Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!

• I am so sorry inFamous 2. I couldn't save you. Rest, my sweet child. Rest.

• Without trying to compromise the integrity of our individual lists and what they mean to us, what can we do to avoid splitting the Yakuza vote 6 ways?

Like, let's say you were only going to choose ONE and only one Yakuza game to allow space for another 14 games on your list, which game would you choose?

For me it's very easily Yakuza 0 and that's the one I suggest we back up IF you're only going to choose one Yakuza game.

• Yakuza 0 is the best one I agree.

• Yakuza 0 is the game of the generation, IMO and Yakuza in general is one of the most prolific and consistent franchises of the past 10 years. I did not punish it for being great, I put several of them on my list. I didn't put them all on there, but when applicable... Then again, I just don't like Souls games, so they likely took the place of those on my list.

• I got my list submitted yesterday. It's a huge weight off me knowing I can stop thinking about it. I think the most difficult part was going from 22 to 20 prior to ranking. When there were three things I knew could get the axe and I had to choose two was maybe a two day decision.

• Yeah I put two Yakuza games on my list. I just don't want the series to have little to no representation of our final Official Game of the Decade list because we split the vote 6 different ways so none of them appear.

Also, weekly reminder that

ALIEN ISOLATION IS A MASTERPIECE

• Folks I worry for Danganronpa because it's a relatively niche franchise, but every entry is absolutely deserving of making it to the final list. Those games twist and turn like no other, and the cast of characters is fun, colorful, and develop as the game goes on. Motivations are often hidden behind layers and layers of deceit, while some are deceptively surface level. This makes every reveal (except for the first trial of the first game, which is a terrible introduction) feel earned and special. There are quite simply no games like them.

Now, much like Yakuza, I worry that even if the series gets a good amount of votes, they will be spread among three games so that none of them make it in. That is why I am formally submitting Danganronpa 2 for your consideration. It takes all of the concepts in the first game and improves upon them, and has a story that is, in my humble opinion, even more intriguing than the first. So much so, in fact, that the ending made me cry. It has the three best characters of the series as well. And, if you need any more convincing, friend of EZA Jason Wishnov voices a character in it, as well as the first.

Fellow forumites, do not let all of these characters' sacrifices be in vain. Vote Danganronpa 2 in this month's election.

• I want to play Danganronpa but I'm not going to search my cord bag for my charger, go to my closed workplace and dig around my desk to wake my Vita from it's 2+ year slumber, only to recharge it and be forced to delete P4:G due to the minuscule space available on the awful 4GB proprietary storage card so I can free up space for Danganronpa, which will then probably take 2 hours to download a 4GB game.

Yeah, PS4 is an option, but I also don't want my girlfriend to suffer through dozens of hours of text in a game like that. Do the right thing Spike and bring it to Switch...

• @capnbobamous said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

I am formally submitting Danganronpa 2

I liked Trigger Happy Havoc better, and that made it on my list. D2 was technically a bigger game, but I didn't like the characters and setup as much. I know this is not the most popular opinion, but it's MY list! There were some mechanics in D2 I thought actively made it worse. It did not make my top 20.

• @dipset said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

Without trying to compromise the integrity of our individual lists and what they mean to us, what can we do to avoid splitting the Yakuza vote 6 ways?

Like, let's say you were only going to choose ONE and only one Yakuza game to allow space for another 14 games on your list, which game would you choose?

For me it's very easily Yakuza 0 and that's the one I suggest we back up IF you're only going to choose one Yakuza game.

Tangent: as someone who put all games from multiple franchises in their list (i.e. not doing a "one per series" rule), I can't help but comment here. In the quest to solve one issue (caring about whether too many IPs are falling below the arbitrary threshold of "top 20"), I think people are creating another one by doing "one per series".

Or rather, there's always a trade off, with no way being best. Do you want your list to be an accurate personal ranking? Do you want your list to be a public form of self-expression ("here's the variety of games I felt were best")? Do you want your list to be a strategic vote in order to influence the final result? ("I know X is hugely popular and Y has no chance, so...")

Incidentally, the best theoretical solution to path you are taking is to have everyone submit some kind of list of Yakuza games, either ordered from best to worst or with their personal, subjective scores. Then you can choose a voting algorithm to find the best 1 or 2 candidates, and let everyone know.

An interesting question is: what's the best voting system that would decrease people's desire to do "one per series" in the first place?

• Going through my list it alarms me that most of them are AAA games and I play my fair amount of indie titles. I feel like a sellout.

• @chocobop

I only drew attention to it in case some people are in-fact doing "one per series" in order to free up space on their list.

I am not doing that myself. My list is my personal Top 15 based on enjoyment and my memories with the game.

I don't think we need to change the voting system to stop people from doing 1 per series. When we get stats at the end, we can find out stuff like: this series appeared the most, or this genre was most popular.

This is serious... but not series at all at the exact same time...

• The biggest thing I noticed after whittling down to 20 and then ordering them is that I don't like Persona 5 as much as I thought I did.

I hope we can do earlier decades after this because I also noticed that I have not played a lot of the games from the last 2 or 3 years but feel like I might have voted for some if I had.

• @dipset said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

This is serious... but not series at all at the exact same time...

Real life mimics Yakuza, or Yakuza mimics real life.

• I put one Yakuza on my list.... and it wasn't 0...

• @tokyoslim Oh no it's happening.

@DIPSET I'm pretty sure they're on mobile now.

• A wise man once spoke of Invisible Hands regulating the economy and... to cut a long winded analogy short, the best one or two Yakuza titles will probably end up on the list.

I think human nature along with the nature of making a list will naturally regulate same-series titles.

• @chocobop said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

Or rather, there's always a trade off, with no way being best. Do you want your list to be an accurate personal ranking? Do you want your list to be a public form of self-expression ("here's the variety of games I felt were best")? Do you want your list to be a strategic vote in order to influence the final result? ("I know X is hugely popular and Y has no chance, so...")

Personally, I chose your first option, my list is purely for myself, without thinking about what other people might vote for. It's the list of my darlings, based on my enjoyment and memories.

Coincidentally, I still almost ended up with one game per series, simply because I felt like my fondness for a game was already "covered" by its sequel/prequel, and I'd rather include a completely different game instead to celebrate the distinct memories that one brought me.

• @axel Yeah, I'm always picking for me, and not what I think "deserves" to win.

This is why Hudson Hawk is in my Top 10 movies, alongside things like Evil Dead 2 and The 5th Element. I KNOW Citizen Kane is one of the best movies of all time, but it's not in a list of MY favorites.

• @tokyoslim said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

@capnbobamous said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

I am formally submitting Danganronpa 2

I liked Trigger Happy Havoc better, and that made it on my list.

And my favorite was V3.

I suspect that any game with a single high-enough personal vote will make top 50. So I don't think there's a need to gather under one banner. Personally I would prefer multiple entries as #45 - #50 to single one as #25.