Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!

• A wise man once spoke of Invisible Hands regulating the economy and... to cut a long winded analogy short, the best one or two Yakuza titles will probably end up on the list.

I think human nature along with the nature of making a list will naturally regulate same-series titles.

• @chocobop said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

Or rather, there's always a trade off, with no way being best. Do you want your list to be an accurate personal ranking? Do you want your list to be a public form of self-expression ("here's the variety of games I felt were best")? Do you want your list to be a strategic vote in order to influence the final result? ("I know X is hugely popular and Y has no chance, so...")

Personally, I chose your first option, my list is purely for myself, without thinking about what other people might vote for. It's the list of my darlings, based on my enjoyment and memories.

Coincidentally, I still almost ended up with one game per series, simply because I felt like my fondness for a game was already "covered" by its sequel/prequel, and I'd rather include a completely different game instead to celebrate the distinct memories that one brought me.

• @axel Yeah, I'm always picking for me, and not what I think "deserves" to win.

This is why Hudson Hawk is in my Top 10 movies, alongside things like Evil Dead 2 and The 5th Element. I KNOW Citizen Kane is one of the best movies of all time, but it's not in a list of MY favorites.

• @tokyoslim said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

@capnbobamous said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

I am formally submitting Danganronpa 2

I liked Trigger Happy Havoc better, and that made it on my list.

And my favorite was V3.

I suspect that any game with a single high-enough personal vote will make top 50. So I don't think there's a need to gather under one banner. Personally I would prefer multiple entries as #45 - #50 to single one as #25.

• Mostly ranked my list based on personal favorites, but only one game fundamentally changed how I view game/level design, so I had to give that one #1 even if there were others I might have enjoyed playing a little more.

• First update:

I've already received 27 votes, that's awesome! And there's quite a few new faces in there, so assuming the usual suspects also vote down the line, we could break the 50 voters mark, that would be sweet.

At the moment, a whopping 168 games have received points, and 14 of them have received 100 points or more.

We'll definitely be able to have a Top 50 based on this. Keep it up!

• That's great.

I'm very interested to hear various reasoning for individual rankings. "I put Game 1 is above Game 2 because..." and all of that.

• I have 22 games and now I need to rank them, fuck me lol

• Just submitted my list, and fuck was this hard. It's been done for a little while, but for days I've just been looking at it to see if I made any mistakes. I finally just had to submit it because it was hurting my soul worrying about it.

• @capnbobamous that's exactly where I was at. I'm still thinking about the order and whether it was right, but I think ultimately having made the decision and having it out of my hands now is for the better and a weight off of my conscience, and I stick by what I put in.

• 2013, what a year.

• When every vote is in and the results are out, I'm really curious what everyone's 21st and 22nd pick were that got the anguishing axe last.

• Just finished my Tier list. I ended up with 4 Tiers. Shoo-in, Truly Great, Great but not that Great, and Good.

Shoo-in and Truly great got through the the next round. 26 games to sort through. Time to get ranking.

• @iboshow 2016 was my biggest year in terms of number of games but yeah, 2013, pretty crazy year.

• This is premature, but when this is all through, what would everyone think about putting in their 21st and maybe 22nd picks to make a Decade Underdogs top ten if there are enough votes to go off of? Given the number of games, I'm not sure that there will be enough tracking numbers to make an actual list (for instance if everyone has a different 21st pick), but it was just something I was thinking about before bed last night and thought I'd bring up.

• @happygaming said in Vote for the forum's Game of the 2010s Decade!:

This is premature, but when this is all through, what would everyone think about putting in their 21st and maybe 22nd picks to make a Decade Underdogs top ten if there are enough votes to go off of? Given the number of games, I'm not sure that there will be enough tracking numbers to make an actual list (for instance if everyone has a different 21st pick), but it was just something I was thinking about before bed last night and thought I'd bring up.

I like this thought but it also makes me ask myself, like, what does "the top ten underdogs" really represent? Are they the winners of the 21st+ picks, or are they they the sub-20 picks that don't make the cut? Or maybe in a future month there should be a special underdog voting thread, one where all franchises that had least one "winning representative" in the main vote are excluded?

• @chocobop That sounds on a good point to something I was thinking of. I was considering it as the games that didn't quite make it into the top 20 that still received a lot of votes; in practice in my head meaning that they were the top games that people had considered the most to be in the top 20, received votes, but didn't quite make it. I don't know if that works in practice though, because it's not exactly a decisive vote for those said games. Its based on the votes of a different thing.

Would it be better to maybe take a list of the games that didn't make it, based on the votes they received, and have people make a list of their top five or ten based on that? As 'underdog', I was more looking at it as the games that were still great but were overshadowed by the games that everyone else put above them, but I'm willing to examine other ways of doing it as well.

• New update:

We're at 32 votes now, things have slowed down a bit so please don't forget!

• @axel Will have mine in for Friday

• Ugh I'm just going to submit my list. I'm going camping for a week and I just won't have time to finish some of these heavy hitters.

Apologies in advance but I haven't finished or played: ME2&3, Divinity Original Sin 1, Danganronpa, Celeste, XCX, Civ VI, Neir, or DK Tropical Freeze. Not that any of these are going to make it nor get snubbed, but I get the vibe that they are heavy hitters set to appear.