Nintendrones Unite

• I want to believe.

I still have high hopes for the NX, and I'm convinced they have more than just Breath of the Wild cooking as far as big IPs go. For one, they'd be crazy not to, they saw what happened with the Wii U and learned their lesson, they can't have such a sparse launch window (launch year even). So there will be more than just BotW in terms of heavy-hitters at launch, trust me.

Apart from common sense, the other thing that has me convinced of this is the fact that for the 2 years leading up to the launch of the NX, Nintendo have pretty much only released little spin-offs (Triforce Heroes, Animal Crossing amiibo bullshit, Metroid Federation Force, etc.), or games that had already been announced and they had to finish (Star Fox, Xenoblade...).

So what have all their A-teams been up to? Retro Studios (Metroid, DKC), Nintendo EAD Tokyo (Super Mario Galaxy, 3D World), etc? Obviously they're all currently working on NX games, they might not all be launch titles, but for sure a drought should be avoided.

I actually expect a big blowout for the NX reveal, and I expect it to have a very appealing launch titles list.

Now, if I'm wrong and they launch with Breath of the Wild, NX Fit, and Next Super Mario Bros, with nothing else on the horizon, I'll... I don't want to even think about it...

• @Axel I think we can probably count on Pikmin 4, and at the very least Smash Bros for NX has already been announced. I think Splatoon or it's sequel/update will likely make it over as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new 3D Mario (still carrying my Galaxy 3 Torch but anything will do), a Mario Kart/Party, or the return of Metroid.

• The Wii U was a good machine but it was completely mishandled by Nintendo in terms of messaging and marketing. Sales flatlined as a result and it was clear Nintendo gave up on the console around 2 years ago with one or two exceptions.

But from a bad situation could come some real good and a stronger future for the company. The problems with the Wii U caused Nintendo to push ahead with a top down change to how they do things, one of the results of this change is the NX.

I worry that the NX could face similar problems to the Wii U but I have faith that strong hardware design and a good line up of initial games could allow the console to start off strong and grow from there. But as ever the story around Nintendo as reported online is of a company that is out of touch with its audience and has been doomed for what, the past six years?

• I was never in the nostalgia era of Nintendo that men in their 30s-40s feel taken advantage of when Nintendo releases more and more versions of old NES titles that prey on their memories as a youth, while withholding anything new that may touch upon their fond sentiments towards the company in the past.

Nope, I'm a 1994 baby. I grew up on the N64 and later I played the GameCube. I do feel like in less than 10 years my generation will be the next victim of Nintendo nostalgia baiting, but until then I'll survive. Since I've never had the original Nintendo experience from the NES-SNES days, I don't hold much against the company like others do. Sure their entire drive seemed to go somewhere completely different when they made the Wii and that turned me off quite a bit, but I'm not against the NX and I'm not opposed to jumping on board once its out.

My only concern is that they seem to have a lot of eggs in the Zelda basket. I hope they don't announce this console and it has ONE GAME. Either way, Zelda looks like MGS V meets Zelda so I'm into it. I'm excited for what they do in the future and I hope their company philosophy has drifted away from getting grandmas to play games and going back to having the average game and kids play the system too.

Honestly, Nintendo 64 was the console for kids growing up. So was the PS1, but everybody my age played more GameBoy Color and N64 than they did PS1. My little brother has literally never owned anything Nintendo except the DS which he didn't play much of, and none of his friends could give a rats ass about Nintendo or their games. It's like the kids think Nintendo isn't even cool anymore. Idk what they can do to recapture that, but if they can't then they better try to at least capture the hardcore gamers and get them back on board.

• Current NX Rumors give me a little hope, as Nintendo isn't just going to try and do a normal console. They wouldn't be able to compete.

• @Musou-Tensei said in Nintendrones Unite:

I think Nincenso should go 3rd party, I say that as a former Nintendrone and apologist who jumped on everyone saying that in the past.

Want to elaborate? I remember you being a big Wii U supporter when they had more games than PS4 and XBO combined, but now you're looking for that 3rd party support eh?

I don't disagree, I'm just curious because I haven't been too into anything Nintendo for a hot minute now.

• @GoTaco I know I used to be a huge fanboy, but I guess you can say I'm woke now (I fucking hate that word), sure, I have no problem to admit that what Shmibble said is true and part of my change, I hate the (puritanic) censorship in recent Nintendo games (Fatal Frame 5, Xenoblade X, Fire Emblem Fates, Tokyo Mirage, and with each game it seems that it gets worse and worse which makes me woried how far they'll go next time), I mean this is the company that funded fucking Bayo 2 with not giving a toss what SJWs think.
    But I think the fading of my love for Nintendo started during last years E3, which simply was not good on their side. But there is something Shmibble is wrong about, I hate all censorship, violence, drug references or sex doesn't matter. I live in germany and violence was censored here in the past pretty bad, BUT, as an adult I always had the option to import from UK or austria where in 99% of all cases they got uncensored versions, and I did that, always. But this is simply not an option when a company censors all western releases, regardless if necessary or not (and in europe non of the censorship in the mentioned games would be necessary, Senran Kagura 2 got a 12+ rating in my country ffs).
    Nintendo is not the only company I criticise for that, another one I used to love is NISA, but with companies like Idea Factory, PQube and Marvelous Europe/Xseed I don't have to accept their bs anymore.
    Look I'm not saying that their censorship has ruined games, but I'm simply not willing anymore to give them money for products that technically were made incomplete, my new years resolution was #NoMoneyForCensorship which means if I buy a censored game then only used from a private seller, I have basically zero tolerance for this shit at this point unless you have very good reasons like that the ESRB actually gave the uncensored version the AO rating which is pretty much equal to a ban really since no retailer will stock it nor do allow MS, Sony nor Nintendo AO rated content in their marketplaces.

• @Musou-Tensei ...But there is a big difference between a government mandating censorship and a company choosing to do so of its own volition. If I was an American publisher and chose to patch in ghentai for only the Japanese versions of whatever I was doing, that would be my own choice. It would be kinda racist and assuming a lot about my audience, but that would be my choice and my right.

And, as an American, I can tell you that Nintendo is trying to avoid greater scandal. There certainly is a segment of the middle class here (parents) that would love to latch onto sexy cartoon teenage girls as the cause for gun violence, or some such scapegoating.

• @Haru17 Yeah, and if would be my right to not reward you with money for your shit decission, if the government forces a company (not the case with Nintendo in the games I listed) to censor, it's out of their hand and I will criticise the government like I did in my country for many years (it then depends how badly it's censored if I will buy or not). But if a company does that for other reasons they won't get a cent from me.
    But also I think the censorship of one country should not affect other countries, companies made special german versions of games all the time in the past while the rest of europe got it uncensored, why can't they do that with US and Europe? Like I cancelled my pre-order for South Park Stick of Truth when it came out that because of australia all PAL versions will be censored for example, this was simply not acceptable and Ubisoft only did that cause of greed, so no money from me. But the US got it uncensored. It's simply a fact that the censorship NoA puts on games is laughable by EU standards, no european rating board would demand such censoring, infact many anime style games that are M rated in the US are 16 or even 12+ here, and I'm sure Tokyo Mirage in it's uncensored form would be another 12+ game.

• @Musou-Tensei said in Nintendrones Unite:

@Haru17 Yeah, and if would be my right to not reward you with money for your shit decission, if the government forces a company (not the case with Nintendo in the games I listed) to censor, it's out of their hand and I will criticise the government like I did in my country for many years (it then depends how badly it's censored if I will buy or not). But if a company does that for other reasons they won't get a cent from me.
    But also I think the censorship of one country should not affect other countries, companies made special german versions of games all the time in the past while the rest of europe got it uncensored, why can't they do that with US and Europe? Like I cancelled my pre-order for South Park Stick of Truth when it came out that because of australia all PAL versions will be censored for example, this was simply not acceptable and Ubisoft only did that cause of greed, so no money from me. But the US got it uncensored. It's simply a fact that the censorship NoA puts on games is laughable by EU standards, no european rating board would demand such censoring, infact many anime style games that are M rated in the US are 16 or even 12+ here, and I'm sure Tokyo Mirage in it's uncensored form would be another 12+ game.

I think you are equating localisation with censorship here. A mistake many people seem to be making these days.

• Banned

Yeah but WHAT ABOUT ALL THE LOLIS IN SWIMSUITS HUH
    WHAT ABOUT THEM
    They need headpats too.

• Hey, let's be civil about our disagreements (and not use all caps).

• @thenerdtheword Call it what you want, I'm not paying for it.

@Haru17 That's just Shmibble, he misses his pest friend called Yoshi, but I can never replace that green australian horse man, so he's sad.

• @Musou-Tensei I don't understand any of the words you just said.

• @Haru17 Let me rephrase it then, when Shmibble... El Shiamblo replies to me, ignore him.

• Alright.

• @Haru17 said in Nintendrones Unite:

@Musou-Tensei I don't understand any of the words you just said.

You're better off.

I will admit, I too am not happy with Nintendo's recent 'localization' practices. (replacing meaningful dialogue with memes or quite literally NOTHING, taking out gameplay content (no matter how minor it is) because it may 'upset' someone who's looking to be upset, etc.) It's like we went back in time into the NES and early SNES era where games were censored to shit to appease moral guardians. (and, granted, while localization does not necessarily equal censorship, in this case censorship IS bundled into their localization)

• I was there at the Wii U launch and I am cautiously hyped for the NX.

Unfortunately, I can't help but be negative with current Nintendo. Their decisions are so baffling sometimes.

"People like battling in Mario Kart, we should gimp it!"

"The VC was a hit on the Wii, how about we put minimal effort into it this time."

"32 GB is pretty good for a home console, right?"

"Let's make the storage on Amiibo so small, it can only hold one game save ata time, but still market it as compatible with multiple games."

It still blows my mind that while Nintendo was designing their online system for the Wii U, they told testers and developers to not mention PSN and Xbox Live in their feedback because the online team had no knowledge of them. How do you develop something completely in the dark when their competitors offerings are on full display?

And then they bring us solid gold in Pikmin 3, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, and hopefully BotW.

I just don't know what to expect next.

alt text

• Just make Metroid Prime Trilogy HD with some new levels and beams. That's all we need. Literally all. Please something, something I like that's not Zelda...

• @benoit489 said in Nintendrones Unite:

It still blows my mind that while Nintendo was designing their online system for the Wii U, they told testers and developers to not mention PSN and Xbox Live in their feedback because the online team had no knowledge of them. How do you develop something completely in the dark when their competitors offerings are on full display?

huh? This doesn't make sense to me. How does the online team have no knowledge of PSN or XBL? That isn't even possible.