Nintendrones Unite

• Hey, let's be civil about our disagreements (and not use all caps).

• @thenerdtheword Call it what you want, I'm not paying for it.

@Haru17 That's just Shmibble, he misses his pest friend called Yoshi, but I can never replace that green australian horse man, so he's sad.

• @Musou-Tensei I don't understand any of the words you just said.

• @Haru17 Let me rephrase it then, when Shmibble... El Shiamblo replies to me, ignore him.

• Alright.

• @Haru17 said in Nintendrones Unite:

@Musou-Tensei I don't understand any of the words you just said.

You're better off.

I will admit, I too am not happy with Nintendo's recent 'localization' practices. (replacing meaningful dialogue with memes or quite literally NOTHING, taking out gameplay content (no matter how minor it is) because it may 'upset' someone who's looking to be upset, etc.) It's like we went back in time into the NES and early SNES era where games were censored to shit to appease moral guardians. (and, granted, while localization does not necessarily equal censorship, in this case censorship IS bundled into their localization)

• I was there at the Wii U launch and I am cautiously hyped for the NX.

Unfortunately, I can't help but be negative with current Nintendo. Their decisions are so baffling sometimes.

"People like battling in Mario Kart, we should gimp it!"

"The VC was a hit on the Wii, how about we put minimal effort into it this time."

"32 GB is pretty good for a home console, right?"

"Let's make the storage on Amiibo so small, it can only hold one game save ata time, but still market it as compatible with multiple games."

It still blows my mind that while Nintendo was designing their online system for the Wii U, they told testers and developers to not mention PSN and Xbox Live in their feedback because the online team had no knowledge of them. How do you develop something completely in the dark when their competitors offerings are on full display?

And then they bring us solid gold in Pikmin 3, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, and hopefully BotW.

I just don't know what to expect next.

alt text

• Just make Metroid Prime Trilogy HD with some new levels and beams. That's all we need. Literally all. Please something, something I like that's not Zelda...

• @benoit489 said in Nintendrones Unite:

It still blows my mind that while Nintendo was designing their online system for the Wii U, they told testers and developers to not mention PSN and Xbox Live in their feedback because the online team had no knowledge of them. How do you develop something completely in the dark when their competitors offerings are on full display?

huh? This doesn't make sense to me. How does the online team have no knowledge of PSN or XBL? That isn't even possible.

• @GoTaco Here's the Eurogamer article on the early days of Wii U development, it's a pretty good read.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

The discussion started off well enough and covered off our experiences with the hardware and (slow) toolchain and then we steered them towards discussing when the online features might be available. We were told that the features, and the OS updates to support them, would be available before the hardware launch, but only just. There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before, so we probed a little deeper and asked how certain scenarios might work with the Mii friends and networking, all the time referencing how Xbox Live and PSN achieve the same thing. At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them? My only thought after this call was that they were struggling - badly - with the networking side as it was far more complicated than they anticipated. They were trying to play catch-up with the rival systems, but without the years of experience to back it up.

• @benoit489 Yes I remember reading this article at the time, it blew my mind. If it's true, it really shows a clear degree of incompetence on the management side, it's simply unacceptable to not study the competition when you're in that kind of business. I really hope they've since evolved on that front...

• @benoit489
    That is an absolutely mind blowing thing to read. I cannot believe somebody in charge of engineering online infrastructure has never used the PS4 or XBO let alone a whole team.

They had YEARS to think this out.

• @GoTaco said in Nintendrones Unite:

@benoit489
    That is an absolutely mind blowing thing to read. I cannot believe somebody in charge of engineering online infrastructure has never used the PS4 or XBO let alone a whole team.

They had YEARS to think this out.

alt text

• Banned

I've been saying for years that Nintendo develop inside of a bubble. It was quite obvious they never looked at what the competition was doing.
    The Wii put them in too comfortable a place and made them too complacent. It hasn't been until VERY recently that they have actually started listening to anything, and now it seems like they are doing the bare minimum to keep up.

• So hey, how about that rumour/news?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.
    The firm has also been busy securing third-party support, with Sega, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros already on-board.

MCV is a really respectable publication, not the kind to make shit up to drive clicks, so it seems legit to me. Although nothing that surprising anyway, of course there's gotta be a Mario. Pokémon's more of a mystery though, can't be a new one so son after Sun & Moon, so what then? A spin-off? An enhanced port?

• Perhaps a port of Pokemon? 3DS games scale really well in emulators, so maybe we'll get a port of Sub/Moon or maybe the 3rd game will be NX exclusive. Nintendo knows they need Pokemon on their handhelds asap to push sales.

• Banned

One thing that would make me buy an NX instantly: Pokemon MMO
    Just pay Squeenix to make it, then they could have the first AND second best MMO on the market.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Nintendrones Unite:

One thing that would make me buy an NX instantly: Pokemon MMO
    Just pay Squeenix to make it, then they could have the first AND second best MMO on the market.

That is a terrible idea IMO

• Banned

@thenerdtheword
    Why, exactly?
    A Pokemon themed MMO doesn't seem like that wild of a concept, and Squeenix are currently running the only MMO worth a damn (WoW has been a raging garbage fire for years now), so what is the problem?

• @thenerdtheword I believe you meant to say, "That is a terrible idea, MMO."