Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)

• I've only had the pleasure of playing SMT IV and had an absolute blast.
    Can't wait for this one :)

• @bard91

I fell in love with Soejima's characters and style when I got the art book that came with Catherine. A bit off topic, but I have a feeling half the time they spend on Persona games is making his characters animate-able. I feel like as concepts, they aren't very animation friendly.

I'm not familiar with Kaneko but Shoejima must've replicated a ton of his work for the Persona series considering there are many legacy enemies like the Matador.

• @dipset Most (if not all) of the demon designs are Kaneko's and they have only been revised, I'm actually not sure if Soejima has done any demon designs, or how many are not Kaneko's but you can see some demon design that go back farther back than the PS1 days, it is the one thing where Persona maintains it's clear SMT legacy.

Don't know if Soejima style might really be difficult to adapt, but yeah I absolutely love it, the Persona character style he introcuded in 3 has been vital in the success of the series, I have both of his art collections and several art books of games he's worked on and I just love the style.

• @bard91

Wow I had NO IDEA that the demon's are all derivived from earlier games then revised over and over again. They felt fresh to me between P4 and P5 to the extent that I only noticed a few repeats like Jack Frost and Matador.

I found this list someone made online and I love these characters so much: https://www.listal.com/list/favorite-megami-tensei-demons

I'm actually super excited to try SMT3 and 5 next year. I hear such great things but I really don't have the motivation to dust off the PSP or buy and old PS2 game that may or may not be too dated for me. I love how remasters bring things to life for new fans to pick up.

• Im so excited, played a ton of SMT IV and the tone of this is exactly what im looking for.

• @happygaming said in Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch):

What sorts of differences and distinctions should I expect if I've seasoned myself with Persona 4 and 5?

one big difference is between Persona and SMT is the Demons are not MC's powers, in SMT they are party members and you have no human party like you do in Persona.

Another core difference is in its combat, Persona technically doesn't have Press turn, what it has once more system.
    When people talking about Press turn they are talking about this....
    alt text that you see at top of your screen.

The big difference Once more in Persona compare to actual press turn is when you typically attack the weakness in Persona the same character get extra turn but in Press turn you get extra turn but same Demon who attacked doesn't get extra turn.

Also SMT there is penalty if you miss or enemy blocks you attack by losing your Press turn icon.

For now this simple explanation of difference between Persona and SMT when it coms to its combat system.

• Also add the lack of all visual novel elements

Replaced with more emphasis on exploration

• Ben sold it for me, I don't think I will play this anytime soon but it's definitely going on my to-play list