If It's Not Fun Why Bother?

• @phbz I suppose you have a point. I didn't really find A Plague Tale fun but I wanted to see where the story and characters would go because I was engaged by them. Escaping a life threatening situation sounds exciting in a way, guess it depends what the life-threatening situation is. Again I understand your point, I don't think UFC 3 is very fun yet I'm addicted to playing it because I like the UFC and playing the game quenches my appetite.

• @jdincinerator

Think of UFC3 as like a junk food game, your not really enjoying it, but something about it is scratching a itch.

Like hell I'm not the biggest fan of Brisk tea, but sometimes I just have that weird craving for it.

• @jdincinerator Do all books need to be fun?
    Do all movies need to be fun?
    Does all music need to be fun?

Like somebody else said, the idea that a game must convey a sense of "fun" before anything else is a reductive and limiting idea.

• @el-shmiablo But fun is the most effective reason to continue reading books, listening to music, watching films and playing games. Fun is pure and positive, it brings people together and helps us to enjoy what we like a hell of a lot more. Maybe it's not an essential ingredient but it's the one that brings people together.

• @dmcmaster this is why you drink it
    Youtube Video

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    I completely forgot about that lol

• @jdincinerator I agree fun/enjoyment is a great motivating factor for any medium. I think if something is fun its much easier to go back to again and again (why people keep playing old 2D mario games or rewatch Friends/The Office). However art should never strive to just be one thing. Some movies/TV shows/Games aren't fun because they deal with serious situations but I'm glad to experience these works as they often make me reflect and see different aspects of the human condition. At the same time I don't really want to re-experience those works over and over again as they are often draining. As stated before, I have no gripes if someone isn't interested in those types of work, but just because some people don't want that experience I don't think they should exist.

• @jdincinerator Also same with UFC 3, big combat sports fan and it's the only game in town. I do enjoy it but also wish it was so much better than it is. Agree its usage is totally for scratching an itch.

• @themarcv said in If It's Not Fun Why Bother?:

@jdincinerator Some movies/TV shows/Games aren't fun because they deal with serious situations but I'm glad to experience these works as they often make me reflect and see different aspects of the human condition. At the same time I don't really want to re-experience those works over and over again as they are often draining.

See: Black Mirror.

• @themarcv I really could do with somebody who could teach me to work UFC 3's ground game properly. UFC 3 is generally a go-to when you have some hype for an upcoming UFC event or you have an itch to make some interesting match-ups or go through a career with a player and experience an itty bitty sample of a UFC fighter's career through a videogame.

• @themarcv I completely agree. I was contemplating about this yesterday and was unsure how exactly to respond because I don't want to give the impression that someone is wrong for enjoying things the way they do. Speaking personally, there are shows and games and books and music that I've taken the time to experience that I don't think would fit under the classification of fun. However I think they hold a distinct value unto themselves. I watched HBO's Chernobyl a few months ago, and it was a harrowing and difficult show to experience. I never want to watch it again. But it's some of the best television I've seen in years because of the way it made me reflect on difficult historical events. When The Last of Us came out, I played the beginning chapter, wept, and stopped for a week because it was so emotionally draining for me. But that game is still one of my favorites after all is said and done because of the weight that the characters and story continue to have on me.

That being said, I also don't think that things that are specifically made to be fun are wrong or lesser in any way. On the contrary, I feel you need all types to appreciate them, and I love having a Mario more when I have something that stimulates a different itch. I cry at a Pixar movie because I was able to laugh five minutes earlier, and personally, it's the same with other mediums where I appreciate being intellectually or emotionally challenged when I have something simple and fun to fall back on.

@JDINCINERATOR to answer the original question though (sorry for the tangent), I quit halfway through Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories because deck building just doesn't work with my brain, but I definitely looked up the story stuff online because I was in on the franchise.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Good example, I really enjoyed the first couple episodes of that show but my wife wasn't as big of a fan so I haven't kept up.

• @jdincinerator Yeah, I can't say im actually good at the game. I mostly try to get to a point where I at least feel in somewhat control of whats going on but I RP that game pretty hard. Mostly just play exhibition and RP a few matches with one guy, pretend they get a title shot then switch to another, rinse repeat. When I say RP I mean stuff like playing as Dan Severn and lay on guys to get the decision, like purposely have boring matches to mimic fighter's actual style. To most very unfun, to be infinity enjoyable.

• @happygaming For sure, I get it if someone doesn't want to watch/play/experience a thing because it's draining or depressing to watch. You have to be in the right mind set to want to experience stuff like that and if someone just doesn't want to I totally get it. Like your example tho, sometimes those works can have a much greater impact. Stuff that challenges the viewer I tend to think stick with you longer. I don't think I'll ever forget how playing and beating TLOU 2 made me feel or watching Children of Men. Fun stuff is super enjoyable in the moment but when looking back I just think, that was fun. Stuff that really held some weight tend to leave a bigger impression on me, don't know if others feel the same.

• @themarcv Honestly I prefer fights where I win by decision whether in the game or when watch UFC events. There's just something satisfying about outpointing the opposition and dominating them without finishing them.