The Pathless (Apple Arcade/Epic Game Store/PS4/PS5)

• I've been waiting for them to show some gameplay for this before making a thread, and now I finally get that chance. This is from Giant Squid, the developers of ABZU, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Become the Hunter, a master of archery who travels to a mystical island to dispel a curse of darkness that grips the world. Forge a connection with your eagle companion as you hunt corrupted spirits, but be careful not to become the hunted yourself. Explore misty forests full of secrets, solve puzzles in ancient ruins, and test your skill in epic battles. The bond with your eagle and the fate of the world hang in the balance.

Youtube Video

So the gameplay got me excited, I really like the sense of speed and fluidity of the whole game, particularly with how the character moves around. I'm so ashamed that "no maps" are a selling point for me at this point, but it's definitely the right choice for me. Brandon said it best: "Is this what it feels like to be Huber?" Everything I seen about this game just clicks for me.

Coming November 12th 2020.

• Looks fun but I hope it doesn't become repetitive after 2-3 hours and being 10 hours at max would benefit a lot.

• It's coming in November 12th! What a pleasant surprise, I was sure that it's gonna get delayed.

• Previews about this game are out (I only have read IGN's). I really like that the aiming to gain speed thing is purely timing based, it could make the exploration feel rhythmic in a fun way.

• Not really a surprise, but this game also gets a free PS5 upgrade for the PS4 digital copy.

• A lot of these composer behind the scenes have been showing up recently... it's a good trend!

• Reviews are out! I'm a bit surprised that it's like 7-10 hours in length, kinda expected it to be shorter. Other than that, it seems to be just as good as I expected.

https://opencritic.com/game/8541/the-pathless

• Played this for a few hours, just beaten the first boss. I'm really liking this so far, it starts pretty slow but it ramps up well enough until the intense boss fight, and seeing what comes after is quite satifying. I'm not quite good yet with the bow traversal mechanic, but it's really fun to blast through a straight line or stay in the air for a long time when I get the right shots. The puzzles are pretty nice so far, it fits with the theme of the gameplay, which is simple concepts with great potential. I also like that the game doesn't hold your hand much. Excited to see how they ramp things up when I get to the next area.

Also, this game reminds me a lot of Fumito Ueda's games. The characters speak in a very foreign language and the mysterious spiritual vibe of the story feels really similiar. It's pretty great. I'm also loving the middle eastern acoustics + traditional european orchestra in the music, there's like bagpipes and other cool sounding instruments subtly playing in the background.