Best Video Game Console - Tournament

• Dreamcast vs. the Game Boys is a tricky pick. I went with the latter, because though DC has more games that I like, many of them are arcade ports. The best GB games were designed for GB. That, and GB is more comfortable to hold. The DC controller hurts my hands.

• One day left to vote. We have some close ones this round so a single vote could be the difference.

• Results for Round 3:

Group A

1. PlayStation 2 vs. 4. Xbox 360 (8-6)
      1. PlayStation vs. 2. PlayStation 4 (6-7)

Group B

1. Super Nintendo vs. 4. PlayStation 3 (11-1)
      1. Dreamcast vs. 2. Game Boy & Game Boy Color (6-8)

THE SEMIFINALS:

Group A
    1. PlayStation 2 vs. 2. PlayStation 4

Group B
    8. Super Nintendo vs. 2. Game Boy & Game Boy Color

• Personally speaking, I think it's hilarious my top two favorite consoles are going head to head in Group A. Tough choice.

• @shoulderguy Only thing that surprises me is the Dreamcast losing to Game Boy. Guess people were afraid of what might happen if Dreamcast lasted to the finals.

• RIP Dreamcast. You are MY favorite console of all time.

• PS2 vs PS4 is a tough one, god damn. Both had some of the finest games of any console, let alone any Sony console. Also, both had pretty strong emotional values to me since the PS2 was the console that bonded me and many strangers in the past, and the PS4 is the first console that I actually bought using my own savings.

• @tokyoslim I also lost my favorite console Xbox 360. I thought we had more time.

• @bam541 For me, it comes down to two major factors. PS2 had a way cooler and wider selection of games, and PS2 never noise polluted my environment.

• Bizarre to me that PS4 beat the first Playstation and is running it close with the PS2. I really don't get the fuss over that console.

• A reminder that it's the last day to vote on the Semifinal matches.

• We finally made it to the Finals but first, here are the results for the Semifinal matches:

Group A

1. PlayStation 2 vs. 2. PlayStation 4 (7-6)

Group B

1. Super Nintendo vs. 2. Game Boy & Game Boy Color (9-3)

The Finals:
    1. PlayStation 2 vs. 8. Super Nintendo

The Finalists:

0_1598185960077_542px-PS2-Versions.jpg

Group A Champion: PlayStation 2

AKA: PS2
    Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    Lifespan: 2000–2013
    Launch Price: ¥39,800, US$299, £299
    Units Shipped: 155.0 million (as of March 31, 2012)

Top 25 Selling Games:

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (17.33 million)
    2. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
    3. Gran Turismo 4
    4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    5. Final Fantasy X
    6. Grand Theft Auto III
    7. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    8. Final Fantasy XII
    9. Tekken 5
    10. Kingdom Hearts
    11. Final Fantasy X-2
    12. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
    13. Kingdom Hearts II
    14. God of War
    15. Madden NFL 2005
    16. God of War II
    17. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
    18. EyeToy: Play
    19. Madden NFL 2004
    20. Madden NFL 06
    21. Ratchet & Clank
    22. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    23. Need for Speed: Underground
    24. Medal of Honor: Frontline
    25. Guitar Hero II

vs.

0_1598186225524_640px-SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg
    0_1598186236902_640px-Nintendo-Super-Famicom-Set-FL.jpg

Group B Champion: Super Nintendo Entertainment System

AKA: Super Nintendo, Super Famicom, SNES
    Developer: Nintendo R&D2
    Manufacturer: Nintendo
    Lifespan: 1990–2003
    Launch Price: ¥25,000, US$199
    Units Sold: 49.10 million

Top 25 Selling Games:

1. Super Mario World (20.61 million)
    2. Super Mario All-Stars
    3. Donkey Kong Country
    4. Super Mario Kart
    5. Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
    6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    9. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    10. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
    11. Final Fantasy VI
    12. Killer Instinct
    13. Dragon Quest VI
    14. Star Fox
    15. F-Zero
    16. Dragon Quest V
    17. Final Fantasy V
    18. Mario Paint
    19. Super Mario RPG
    20. Chrono Trigger
    21. Super Street Fighter II
    22. SimCity
    23. Secret of Mana
    24. Disney's Aladdin
    25. Super Puyo Puyo

Voting will end in three days at around this time. So EZA Forums, which is the best console?

• I would have been happy with either outcome for Group A, but I am equally as enthused the difference was only a single vote. Both great systems.

For this vote, I have to go PS2 because it's the system I had and I have more nostalgia and fond memories than any other console ever. Plus, with my age, the Super Nintendo predates my awareness of video games by a single generation.

Also, @Shoulderguy this is an awesome breakdown! It's really cool to see the top selling games for each system!

• The PS2 was such a great console, they had to put one inside the PS3 at launch to make sure people bought it. :)

• I don't want to say anything to actually sway the votes, so I'll just bring up how amused I am by the finals being between two systems that required multitaps for more than 2 players.

• I'm voting for the PS2 here solely because of the rotateable PS logo on the disk drive, it's the coolest shit ever.

• My first console was a Genesis, and my second a PS2. This is not a hard pick for me.

• I dislike Sony consoles for multiple reasons (controller, kinds of genres they focus on, inferior visual fidelity on 1 & 2), so I'm voting Ninty.

• @oscillator said:

kinds of genres they focus on

Honestly, more so than any other console, except maybe the DS, PS2 really had the widest genre variety of any console ever. I'd agree with that if the PS4 had won, but PS2 had a crazy wide selection of loads of diverse games, so I'm not sure that particular criticism fits here. Also, I know it is just a personal preference thing, but I love the way Dualshocks feel, all light, cool, and airy. They're second only to Gamecube controllers for me. Of course SNES controllers feel great too. They've become the standard "classic controller".

• Voting is closed and we have our winner!

1. PlayStation 2 vs. 8. Super Nintendo (10-7)

The Super Nintendo dominated it's competition on the way to the finals but in the end, the PlayStation 2 wins it! Proving along the way, why it's the best selling console of all time against some strong competitors in this tournament. Let's take a look at the champion's road to victory:

16.) Atari Lynx (12-1)
    9.) Nintendo 64 (9-7)
    4.) Xbox 360 (8-6)
    2.) PlayStation 4 (7-6)
    8.) Super Nintendo (10-7)

Thanks to everyone who participated, that was fun. I don't have another tournament planned right now but I would like to do another one eventually. Let me close this tournament by leaving one last shout out for the champion PS2!

0_1598443918415_ps2-king.jpg