Mid-generation Console Upgrade Review

• I was so so so angry the day they announced the PS4 Pro. I was convinced they were going to use software to make my original PS4 obsolete so I would have to upgrade if I wanted any new games. I'm sure Xbox One owners felt similar panic at the announcement of the X.

Of course now we know this wasn't the case and only those who wanted the upgrade needed to get it. With that in mind and with this generation coming to a close, for those of you who double-dipped, what are your final verdicts on the PS4 Pro and/or Xbox One X?

Feel free to add thoughts both pre- and post-Cyberpunk.

• Honestly, I upgraded to the pro shortly after God of War and I couldn't really tell you much of what the difference is, other than maybe games being slightly smoother running. I mostly upgraded because my Launch Day PS4's disc drive had seen a lot of use and I thought that it was making a bit more noise than usual, so I traded it in and got a pro. The new DS4 is better so far, and I haven't had to replace the thumbsticks yet like I did on the original. (several times) So not sure if they fixed the rubber issues or not. It works. Storage space is nice. Isn't inordinately loud. Pretty much the same, tiny bit faster.

Necessary upgrade? No.

• I'm in a similar boat to @TokyoSlim. It wasn't a necessary upgrade for me, but the timing was right. I had just purchased a 4K TV, and my buddy was getting married, so I gifted my standard model to my friend and picked myself up a Pro. I've noticed certain games running smoother, but it's not an enormous difference. I have heard that if you use a Pro on a 1080p display, you may see more drastic differences with the Boost mode, as I think Digital Foundry did a couple videos talking about The Last Guardian and other games that had technical performance issues and how to get the best frame rate.

While I'm typically pretty impressed by the higher resolutions that I get on a lot of the 1st party games, it is still questionable that some games just don't take advantage of the hardware whatsoever. I was going through Life is Strange's first season and that still just runs a little... rough. God of War though? Runs great. So I think it's on a game by game basis of the upgrade being necessary or not. I just wish that every game did take more advantage of the upgrades.

• Bought both upgraded consoles. From the original Xbox One to the X it was pretty much an all around improvement and together with Gamepass made Xbox my main system.

The Pro is a disappointment. It's nice to have improved versions of games even if not by much. But the absurd level of noise makes it a system that offers an inferior gaming experience. It's unthinkable to used it without headphones and particularly during warm weather it's kinda horrible. Made the PS4 go from main system to absolute last, even behind the Switch.

Don't know if we need mid gen upgrades, generally speaking. Base Xbox One I do think it was kind of needed but in retrospect maybe the Pro no so much. The base PS4 was fine. But if they keep releasing them I'll probably keep buying because we always need more pixels and frames.

• PS4 Pro is kinda a massive waste of $500 which makes me think that the OG PS4 must sound like screeching metal and chug like a steam engine.

I can barely get my menu in PS4 Pro to load and maneuver quickly. I swear the PS4 Pro upgradewas barely noticeable. NBA2K menu's chug, Call of Duty menu's chug, the main UI menu chugs. It's like they stuffed an industrial fan from a steel mill into the chassis.

Sure, God of War, SoTC, and other games look really damn good, but I bet they also look nice on PS4 too. Def won't be doing that mid-gen upgrade again.

• I got my Pro for 100 bux after I traded in my PS4 and I think it was worth it. Games like God of War and Dark Souls 2 felt a lot smoother than on the regular PS4.
    I will say, having an earlier model Pro, it is fucking obnoxiously loud on some games. The Division 2 makes the thing sound like it's about to explode.

• I had my Pro in a little cubby when I assembled our new entertainment center. When I booted up FF7 Remake or tried to play Call of Duty WWII, the cubby just amplified the jet to make anything else in the room obnoxiously inaudible. I settled on putting it on top instead, and its still loud, but not obnoxiously so or noticeable like when I had it in the other part. It's really not a system you can put into a small space in that way. Even if it doesn't upgrade all the games in a substantial way though, I don't regret the purchase in any way, and still love it. I'm personally happy with the convenience of just turning the game on and having things run reasonably well in a high resolution option without having to tinker in settings.

My base system also had a super annoying power issue. It would randomly go to sleep when dust or air brushed the power sensor because it wasn't a physical button. I am very happy to have a physical button to turn the system on and off now, but it was a godsend back when they introduced suspending games in sleep mode, especially to my then roommates and I when we were going through Bloodborne.

• I will say that I have not had any noise issues with my ps4 pro.

• @el-shmiablo
    I can attest to the launch Pro units sounding like a jet engine taking off, hell I remember the parade sequence in Wolfenstein 2 sounding so excessively loud that even wearing my headset with the volume maxed wasn't enough to drown it out, FF15, Uncharted 4, God of War all sounded like fucking rockets, hell Dragon Quest would just instantly overheat during the prison escape sequence (the bridge collapsing) After hearing about the RDR2 bundle having a quieter system I started hunting a model down, completely worth it tbh.

That said I mostly bought a Pro for improved load times or framerate options, as I only had a 1080p tv and still had one up until the week Horizon came out. I think it was worth it, and honestly after watching Digital Foundry more and more, I feel that a Pro system is almost required now (look at Digital Foundry's recent Avengers video, base system is pretty rough)

Also never had a One S, but did get a One X, and i just want to say I was surprised at how quite it is

• I guess, I should add that I don't regret buying the PS4 Pro, but I don't think it was worth it.

What I don't understand is how much the PS4 UI chugs. My PS3 XMB after all these years is a lot snappier. I've done "Rebuild Database" a few times and it makes things run like it's new for exactly 1-2 days maximum before things chug. In-game then press PS button to go to main menu has a slight delay. Cycling through games or menu's sometimes has non-snappy loading. Don't even get me started with the PS Store.

Black Ops 4 always had me concerned with how insanely loud and hot the system gets. I was always scared I'm going to kill my system playing it. In the Mark Cerney PS5 tech talk, he kinda explains why the PS4 is so damn loud with the fan.

• @dipset said in Mid-generation Console Upgrade Review:

I guess, I should add that I don't regret buying the PS4 Pro, but I don't think it was worth it.
    What I don't understand is how much the PS4 UI chugs. My PS3 XMB after all these years is a lot snappier. I've done "Rebuild Database" a few times and it makes things run like it's new for exactly 1-2 days maximum before things chug. In-game then press PS button to go to main menu has a slight delay. Cycling through games or menu's sometimes has non-snappy loading. Don't even get me started with the PS Store.
    Black Ops 4 always had me concerned with how insanely loud and hot the system gets. I was always scared I'm going to kill my system playing it. In the Mark Cerney PS5 tech talk, he kinda explains why the PS4 is so damn loud with the fan.

I wonder if you got bad/misapplied thermal paste on your cpu or something. I honestly don't think I have any of these issues, nor the noise - and thermal load can do all of that to a computer.

• @tokyoslim

It could be a defect for sure, but I sometimes can't tell if I'm upset with how a game was optimized (take the slow ass NBA2K menu's for example) or whether I'm upset with the PS4 Pro.

It started out as a massive improvement, but then it started slowing down pretty quickly. It's weird that the Rebuild Database fixes it temporarily.

I think I'm going to get the PS5 model with the disk drive and see if I can get a bit of money for the PS4 Pro. It miiiiiiight be defective, but not all games chug. Just mainly main menu UI and some specific games.

• Has anyone tried upgrading their system's original hard drive to a SSD and noticed improvements in light chugs? I've sometimes had to do the database rebuild on my system, but wonder if it may just be bad sectors in the hard drive itself, and if a new one would fix small issues like chugging.

Also side note, I'm not too interested in a lot of the Xbox exclusive games, but I'd be way down to get a One X when they go down in price. I never had a 360, and being able to play my original Xbox games and 360 games I missed out on is really the selling point for me there.

• @happygaming
    I'll be honest like 80% of the reason I grabbed a X1X was to play Burnout Revenge again without digging out my PS2 to play it again (although go figure i lucked into a BC enabled PS3 right after getting a X1X) and I have spent a good chunk of money rebuying games i had on PS3 on X1X, well when on sale. Along with the few Xbox games I missed out on (although most of those I played thru gamepass)
    Will say the small performance enhancements even on games not marked "Xbox One X Enhanced " is nice like playing Sonic Unleashed at a far more stable framerate, or Asura's Wrath not tearing itself apart to contain it's epic news is nice.

As for a SSD, I'd best describe it as mixed in PS4 Pro. On the one hand some games load dramatically faster after putting it in, namely all the big first party stuff. Think TLOU2 is the longest loading screen I've seen in awhile at maybe 15-20 seconds, and with The Witcher 3 I'd say, depending on where your loading your game from (in a city, forest, small room?) I've seen as much as 45 seconds knocked off the load times.

That said depending on brand your paying alot for that SSD, hell my 2TB cost like $450 at the time.

That said I do want to point out that a 8TB SSD is about to come out, which is allegedly the maximum the PS4 can detect, and while it's not something I'm buying anytime soon (things like $1400) I will be keeping an eye on it's price in the event I ever feel like tossing more storage onto my PS4 for whatever reason.

Side note, do not put SSD in a PS3, while it does work, it allegedly does not play nice with the system long term, should get a Hybrid Drive for any PS3's

• SSD on the Pro is worth it as it not only improves loading times, it also improves asset loading in. I never had any issue with low res assets that the Allies complained about in FF7

• @iboshow
    Same minus 3 or 4 instances in the Sector 7 slums, beyond that it was smooth sailing