Halo (franchise) - Official Discussion Thread

• 0_1597251300546_1920px-Halo_(series)_logo.svg.png
    0_1597251317807_Image00002.jpg

We know what the Halo series is and it's legendary legacy in the industry, but as the online multiplayer market grew more competitive with Activision, Epic, and Ubisoft (among others) making extremely popular multiplayer franchises, as well as the Halo franchise switching leadership duties from Bungie Inc to 343 Industries, the raw powerhouse that once was began to diminish over time.

With the upcoming 2021 release of Halo Infinite on the next generation Xbox Series X, discourse around the franchise is beginning to reignite. For Halo Infinite, 343 Industries have stated they are attempting to recapture the some of what made the original game in the franchise, Halo Combat Evolved, great. By this, it's almost impossible to discuss a new title in this franchise without have an open dialogue and considering context from the earlier entries in the series.

In this thread feel free to discuss anything related to the Halo franchise on the whole. Currently, the franchise is being re-released through the Master Chief Collection on PC (less Halo 5: Guardians) all the while 343 Industries and Xbox are marketing the upcoming Halo Infinite. The franchise is very active at the moment and there is plenty to dig into in its current state.

As a refresher, I've consulted Wikipedia to provide the official list of titles and what platforms they appear on:

• Halo Combat Evolved, 2001 (Windows, Xbox, Mac)

• Halo 2, 2004 (Windows, Xbox)

• Halo 3, 2007 (Xbox 360)

• Halo Wars, 2009 (Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows)

• Halo 3: ODST, 2009 (Xbox 360)

• Halo Reach, 2010 (Xbox 360)

• Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary, 2011 (Xbox 360)

• Halo 4, 2012 (Xbox 360)

• Halo: Spartan Assault, (Windows, Windows Phone, iOS, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

• Halo: The Master Chief Collection, 2014 (Halo 1-3, ODST, Reach, 4) (Windows, Xbox One)

• Halo: Spartan Strike, 2015 (Windows, Windows Phone, iOS)

• Halo 5: Guardians, 2015 (Xbox One)

• Halo Wars 2, 2017 (Windows, Xbox One)

• Halo Recruit, 2018 (Windows MR)

• Halo: Fireteam Raven (Arcade)

• Halo Infinite, 2021 TBD (Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X)

• It really is a shame they stopped making these games after Reach.

• And here is the full collection of official Halo Infinite video media provided on the 343 Industries website:

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Global Moderator

I loooooove Halo. Like absolutely love it. I guess I am a bit of a "pureist" though as I prefer 1-3 (so Bungie era). I just wish they would go back to that and explore more. I mean it was 30 years of conflict with the covenant, there should be more! I have so many memories with this series. Spending a summer playing through combat evolved every day or a summer. Playing Halo 2 coop with my cousin to the extent that we played through it on hard with the controllers upside down. Beeing completely blown away by 3 and Reach.

As awesome as the games are, I also want to throw a punch for the books. They are all really good and brings the universe alive even more. I would also love some more films/shorts in style with Halo Legends that we got.

In terms of Infinite I just hope they don't mess it up.

• I'll say I'm not the biggest fan of first-person shooters. They've just never clicked with me. However, I spent a lot of time with buddies playing Halo multiplayer and having a blast. We would mainly do Slayer, but would often come up with our own rules for each round, like someone gets a vehicle and everyone has to try and take them out, or hide and seek sort of like Hunting Huber, everyone (or just one person) gets a sword in 2. I remember we thought the maps were so big at the time, and so we would have "safe zones" and "war zones". We would have a hard time finding each other on certain maps and so it was expected that you'd venture over to the specific part of the map for firefights.

While my friends tried to rope me into the lore and the story of the games, I really never cared. As many times as I tried the campaign or cop-op campaigning, the real fun for me was always those long nights battling together online, not in finding out who Master Chief, Arbiter or the Flood were. We kept it up through Halo 3 for the most part, but after that we all sort of went our separate ways in life. The games after may be fun, but I never got that same fire to pick them up after that. The first two are definitely my favorite memories of the franchise.

Can't believe it'll be 20 years since the first game with Infinite coming out.

• Halo CE was ok. rest of them. not so much. they all went full MP.

• To echo @Lotias and @HappyGaming , I too have a lot of fond memories of playing Halo when I was young. I think Halo is more of a sandbox than anyone gives it credit for. My friends and I would play 4 player split-screen and make up rules and such like HappyGaming also did.

The Halo series to me is kinda like growing up riding your bike with your friends, or playing hockey a few times a week throughout childhood - you don't realize how fun it is and how much you miss it until it's gone.

Halo was a hangout staple until we all got too old, grew up, moved away, and pushed along with life. I really miss those days...

It was painful knowing Halo MCC was exclusive to Xbox One since 2014. I'm not an Xbox guy and never will be. That is why the new release of Halo 3 on PC has opened the door to me in a way I never had. I don't have to go to my buddies house to play Halo anymore!

Here I am, 25 years old in the year 2020 and I'm playing Halo 3 at every opportunity I can get. I almost feel that addiction that everybody in middle school had way back in 2007. For the first time, I'm starting to get pretty good at the game. I have to say, and I'm not throwing this around lightly, but Halo 3 might be better than any multiplayer game on the market today. It still hold's up and is THAT GOOD.

• As someone who only dipped a toe here and there into Halo the series never really hooked me in. First Halo game I bought for myself was 3 on the 360. Didn't have the OG Xbox so I only got to play the first Halo once when a buddy brought over their Xbox. I will say that first impression didn't do the game justice.

The section I saw was fighting against the Flood and it just didn't impress. It wouldn't be till years later when I played it on PC and got to try the MP that it really started to click. There's a lot of things I really like about the games, mostly to do with how the weapons/vehicles feel. However I could never really get into the stories of 1, 3 or Reach (these were the games I owned). The game play in campaign was fun enough to see my way to the end but I was never really engaged with the narrative they were trying to tell. Multiplayer with friends either in Co-Op or MP would be fun but I was never good enough to enjoy the MP solo.

Mostly I do remember living in the dorms freshman year of college and Halo 2 and Half Life 2 came out at the same time. I got Half Life 2, dude across the hall got Halo 2. We'd argue over which was better... to this day I still say Half Life 2.

That all being said I'm glad its still around and I hope this next game we satisfy those eagerly awaiting this game.

• When Halo CE came out I felt like finally a FPS could reach Half-Life. In some ways it went beyond. The "open" alien world, weapon variety and dynamic, vehicles, all that was really great. On the other hand the Library is really bad and the Flood a really boring and uninspired enemy (343i removing the Flood from Halo was a huge improvement for me). Still a game I like and that occasionally play the first hours, because it is my opinion that they're close to perfect. No other Halo feels as special to me, I enjoy them all (even 4 and 5), Reach being my number 2.

Although I'm a big sci-fi fan, I'm not that really into Halo's universe, too much focus on intrigue and politics and not enough on mystery and location. Halos 4 and 5 even push that further making it even less interesting.

Online I've played maybe 10 minutes overall. Really, really not my type of game. I'm more of a CS and PUBG type when it comes to online, although I can spend years without playing anything online.

As for Infinite, I'm happy with the direction they're taking. I loved the return to the ring, I'm curious to know what happens before with you and the pilot. I want to drive a Warthog and explore that world. If they manage to trick me to play online, better.

• I used to play hours and hours of Halo CE on PC back when it was originally released. He'll, for the longest times I didn't even own the actual game because the demo servers were the same as the retail servers, so there was always a full server of Blood Gulch somewhere.
    I cooped the entire original trilogy with my step brother and it was absolutely glorious.

That 343 has taken an unceremonious shit on the entire franchise and produced the abysmal dogshit that was Halo 4 and 5 is something I honestly have a hard time getting over.

Fuck 343. I have absolutely zero faith that they will produce a good Halo, and everything I've seen about Infinite confirms my fears.

• MinnMax is currently doing a Deepest Dive on Halo: Combat Evolved.

Here is part 1:

Youtube Video

• I'm not a big shooter fan, but Halo was a revelation to me. I bought the original Xbox at launch, and picked up Combat Evolved along with it.

It was honestly mind-blowing at the time, the leap in graphics coming from a PS1 was incredible, and the openness of the outdoors levels was so freeing. The controls felt great, the weapons were fun, the vehicles handled brilliantly, the enemies were smart and fun to engage, the story was intriguing... I didn't even mind the Flood that much. And all this with co-op!

Then along came 2 and 3, which I also loved, as well as ODST with a refreshing setting and characters.

Reach is where I started to drift off the series. It still had great gameplay, but it was more of the same, and I lost interest in the story.

I have very few memories of Halo 4, I think I beat in one or two sittings with a friend, and it was... just adequate, but not at all the leap that the fourth entry should bring. The story was also dumber than ever at this point.

And I never played 5, nor do I want to.

Infinite looks like it's trying to emulate what made the original CE great, but will it be enough? What was impressive 20 years ago is taken for granted at this point, and they haven't shown anything surprising so far.

• @axel Infinite looks to me like it is following the exact same throughline of 4 and 5.
    These games aren't designed by people who are passionate about the anymore. They are designed by a committee to make a product that appeals to the lowest common denominator.
    Halo 4 and 5 failed because they tried to turn Halo into Call of Duty. Halo Infinite will fail because it is trying to turn Halo into Destiny.

• @el-shmiablo said in Halo (franchise) - Official Discussion Thread:

@axel Infinite looks to me like it is following the exact same throughline of 4 and 5.
    These games aren't designed by people who are passionate about the anymore. They are designed by a committee to make a product that appeals to the lowest common denominator.
    Halo 4 and 5 failed because they tried to turn Halo into Call of Duty. Halo Infinite will fail because it is trying to turn Halo into Destiny.

Bungie ruined Halo before 343 step in with Halo 2. in Halo 2 instead of Haloguy most of time you play as some alien who is fighting is inner conflict with other aliens. and focus full on MP.

however none of 343 Halo came to PC so i have not played but watching some Halo 4 footage. it does feel like COD. include ironsight, QTE, scripted segments, etc. i can say they also ruined it.

Halo CE was best Halo game. It has some wide open missions.

• Was looking for Gametrailers reviews of Halo games and decided to share.

Crazy that we never had a Halo game under EzA. Unfortunately Halo:CE and Halo 2 are not reviews of the original releases, because that's just how time works.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (8/10)
    Youtube Video

Halo 2 Vista (7.2/10)
    Youtube Video

Halo 3 (9.8/10)
    Youtube Video

Halo: Reach (9.3/10)
    Youtube Video

Halo 4 (9/10)
    Youtube Video

Halo 5: Guadians (9/10)
    Youtube Video

and

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Review (9.3/10)
    Youtube Video

• @b-cell Please don't ever quote or @ me again.

• @Phbz

I was waiting for somebody to mention Halo 2 on Vista. If I'm not mistaken, this was the first version of Forge mode and it kicked off Microsoft's piss poor attempt at getting back into PC gaming (along with Gears of War for Vista). My god was Windows Vista broken. For a graduation present in grade 8, my parents bought me a half decent laptop from Costco. Nothing special but it could play Bioshock on low settings and that was enough for me.

At the time, I didn't know much about computer hardware / software so I didn't know why Vista sucked, but I got Halo 2 Vista and my god the fucking game wouldn't even work at all. It'd boot, have graphical problems, then crash. I don't think it was my hardware either because numerous people online complained about it being unplayable. I brought it back to EB Games and that was teetering on the edge of you not really being able to return games just cause they suck, but they took it back.

Then Microsoft was like "well I guess nobody plays PC games anymore" rather than looking in the mirror at how broken Window's Vista was. They wouldn't come back to that market until like 2018-2019. It's crazy how backwards Microsoft was in that 2007-2016 near decade.

• Youtube Video

here if someone has not seen this video. difference between passionate and greedy developers.

• @el-shmiablo said in Halo (franchise) - Official Discussion Thread:

@b-cell Please don't ever quote or @ me again.

You can quote or @ me all you want, B-Cell. Halo 1 purists unite! ^_^

• Global Moderator

@dipset Haha yeah I tried some Halo 2 on vista too, had similar problems. Didn't help that Vista was an absolutely horrible OS to begin with.