Halo (franchise) - Official Discussion Thread

• @El-Shmiablo

I just started up Halo CE to slowly catch up for Infinite (although I'll never fully finish 4-5) and there are so many cool trends of the past that I really miss in replaying it. It's not perfect by today's standards but it still feels confident whereas 4-5 feel aimless.

I'm coming around a bit on Infinite MP considering a good handful of Halo YouTubers say there is potential and their criticisms weren't too bad, but I still stand by not liking the militaristic aesthetic and other small visual / aesthetic choices they went for (i.e. weapons glowing on the map, glossy outlines on characters, crunchy audio).

@paulmci27

I haven't touched Halo 5's Campaign mode but the H5 MP mode is significantly better than Halo 4. Not going to die on the hill of comparing two okay-at-best titles, but with updates, Halo 5 turned into something that at least felt a bit unique. It sucked at first then I went back to it at a friends house months later and it was a lot more polished.

Both are unmemorable and unremarkable.

• Banned

@dipset I feel that Infinite's MP has tremendous potential and is already showing a lot of promise, but I simply cannot fathom the campaign being anything but completely abysmal. 343, despite being a company designed specifically to carry on the Halo legacy, don't have the sweetest fucking clue what made Halo so damn good in the first place. Like you said, even the sound design is off in recent games. Every weapon in the original games has an incredibly distinct sound profile, but now everything is just an overloud, crunchy mess because it has to sound badass.

The original gameplay reveal was downright embarrassing, especially with the badguy talking to the camera, once again trying way too hard to come off as intimidating and badass, which only ends up looking silly.

343 is to Halo as Treyarch are to CoD. You see the name and know it's going to be steamy shit. I would honestly be very happy if Microsoft decided to dissolve the studio and let MachineGames or one of the other devs they've moneyhatted have a crack at the series.

Or, alternatively, just let the series rest in peace. 3 was a perfect ending, and everything after feels completely unnecessary.

• @el-shmiablo treyarch made some great cod games though

• Halo 4 has a solid campaign with a couple of high points and never as low as the Library. I just don't like the turn the narrative took. Also the flood was shit and getting rid of it was a great improvement on the series.

I might go for a replay of the trilogy.

• I'm replaying the OG trilogy so I'll see what I think about the Flood but I recall the zombies being pretty fun in Halo 2. Obviously don't want too much of it.

• @dipset My biggest problem with the Flood is that once a game runs out of ideas there's always "zombies" as a filler, this was a trend I really didn't liked in several games, which often results in the quality of combat design just going down the drain. Also although in concept the idea of a cosmic parasite being cool, visually I find it to be super boring.

• Banned

I personally really enjoyed The Library, save for the amount of times they repeated the exact same hallway. I found their combat style to be a good mixup from the Covenant, and enjoyed when they would clash and you would get to see how the different AIs measured against one another.

In my opinion, there isn't a single moment in the campaign of either 4 or 5 that comes even remotely close to reaching the highs of the original games, and the lows are so astronomically low as to be actually kind of impressive that a dev could miss the mark that much.

• @el-shmiablo The Library is quite cool, until it isn't and then until you question if you're trapped in there for all eternity. I really like the whole forest level in 4.

• @phbz halo 4 campaign was mediocre. the multiplayer was pretty good though

• Banned

Booted up Halo 2 last night and, man, they sure don't make opening levels like they used to.

• @el-shmiablo out of the number games 2 might possibly have the best campaign. The MCC upgrade is great aswell.

• Banned

@paulmci27 Oh man dat MCC upgrade. Massively improved lighting, detail textures everywhere.
    My only complaint is 343 sullying the overall package by forcing their garbage into the beginning of the game with that added cutscene with Locke and Arbiter.

• @yoshi compared to 5’s campaign it was amazing.

5 really just was that bad

• @el-shmiablo 2 for me is the ultimate halo experience. It adds basically all the lore in halo and has the most big moments in the series.

• @bigdude1 true. 5 never held my interest long enough so i've never actually finished 5's campaign

• Banned

@bigdude1 Even just the intro to 2 adds so much flavor to the overall world of the series.
    Good stuff.

• I got absolutely pumped by one of the Top 3 best players on YouTube this afternoon in a match where I was teaching my little brother how to play Halo for the first time ever.

Youtube Video

On one hand, it’s an honour to get pumped by Gxdspeed. On the other hand, he caught me on a warmup match after a month hiatus and half the match AFK helping my little bro with settings.

• @dipset lol your nickname is even on the thumbnail. what an honor

• @bam541

I also got a Triple Kill / Killing Spree and went 2-4 against him in 1v1 situation so I'll take it as a half embarrassment and honour.

I've always wanted to end up in a FatRat video. He's from Europe and all of his videos are in the North Europe servers. I've tried to alter my server selections to North Europe so I can get dunked on by FatRat but MCC won't let you turn off the Top 3 locations with the highest PING so I never end up in Europe.

All these pseudo-pros use burner accounts so people don't rage quit when they see their Gametag but I'd absolutely stay to get destroyed by him.

• Both good and not-so-good footage coming from the Halo Infinite PvP Weekend Flight (a fancy way of saying Playtest):

These are quick clips.

The Good:
    PHYSICS ARE BACK!

The Perfect Halo Infinite Start
    Youtube Video

Halo Infinite is WILD
    Youtube Video

Mastering Halo Infinite
    Youtube Video

--

Not-So-Good:

Halo Infinite Button Combos are INSANE
    Youtube Video

Should Halo Infinite Remove THIS?!
    Youtube Video

Well this isn't broken at all..
    Youtube Video

--

The good news is that it actually looks a lot more like the Halo I know and love than it did in the first server test a few months ago. Even the not-so-good clips are mostly a result of PC growing pains in the case of the reload-melee combo, but importantly, the physics sandbox is still in effect. So some of the bullshit that can be abused is because the physics system allows for it. Which means the physics system isn't so grounded and COD-ish like Halo Reach, 4, and 5 (to a lesser extent).

So I would actually expect smart players like MintBlitz find physics abuse early-on. Even if it's probably going to be an issue, I hope they keep it in for a bit and let the community decide if you should be able to fling a Flag in CTF cross map.

IDK - looks better than before. 343 in MCC really didn't do a great job on the PC version with KB/M support so I have a feeling there is going to be a ton of PC growing pains here which we've already seen with sniper aiming issues and weird combos on the keyboard. I prefer Halo with a controller, but I would like to use kb/m if they can figure it out. Currently, it's unplayable kb/m in MCC.