Halo (franchise) - Official Discussion Thread

• @yoshi compared to 5’s campaign it was amazing.

5 really just was that bad

• @el-shmiablo 2 for me is the ultimate halo experience. It adds basically all the lore in halo and has the most big moments in the series.

• @bigdude1 true. 5 never held my interest long enough so i've never actually finished 5's campaign

• Banned

@bigdude1 Even just the intro to 2 adds so much flavor to the overall world of the series.
    Good stuff.

• I got absolutely pumped by one of the Top 3 best players on YouTube this afternoon in a match where I was teaching my little brother how to play Halo for the first time ever.

Youtube Video

On one hand, it’s an honour to get pumped by Gxdspeed. On the other hand, he caught me on a warmup match after a month hiatus and half the match AFK helping my little bro with settings.

• @dipset lol your nickname is even on the thumbnail. what an honor

• @bam541

I also got a Triple Kill / Killing Spree and went 2-4 against him in 1v1 situation so I'll take it as a half embarrassment and honour.

I've always wanted to end up in a FatRat video. He's from Europe and all of his videos are in the North Europe servers. I've tried to alter my server selections to North Europe so I can get dunked on by FatRat but MCC won't let you turn off the Top 3 locations with the highest PING so I never end up in Europe.

All these pseudo-pros use burner accounts so people don't rage quit when they see their Gametag but I'd absolutely stay to get destroyed by him.

• Both good and not-so-good footage coming from the Halo Infinite PvP Weekend Flight (a fancy way of saying Playtest):

These are quick clips.

The Good:
    PHYSICS ARE BACK!

The Perfect Halo Infinite Start
    Youtube Video

Halo Infinite is WILD
    Youtube Video

Mastering Halo Infinite
    Youtube Video

--

Not-So-Good:

Halo Infinite Button Combos are INSANE
    Youtube Video

Should Halo Infinite Remove THIS?!
    Youtube Video

Well this isn't broken at all..
    Youtube Video

--

The good news is that it actually looks a lot more like the Halo I know and love than it did in the first server test a few months ago. Even the not-so-good clips are mostly a result of PC growing pains in the case of the reload-melee combo, but importantly, the physics sandbox is still in effect. So some of the bullshit that can be abused is because the physics system allows for it. Which means the physics system isn't so grounded and COD-ish like Halo Reach, 4, and 5 (to a lesser extent).

So I would actually expect smart players like MintBlitz find physics abuse early-on. Even if it's probably going to be an issue, I hope they keep it in for a bit and let the community decide if you should be able to fling a Flag in CTF cross map.

IDK - looks better than before. 343 in MCC really didn't do a great job on the PC version with KB/M support so I have a feeling there is going to be a ton of PC growing pains here which we've already seen with sniper aiming issues and weird combos on the keyboard. I prefer Halo with a controller, but I would like to use kb/m if they can figure it out. Currently, it's unplayable kb/m in MCC.

• From watching both Infinite and BF 2042 Beta coverage, it seems like Infinite says "YES" whereas BF sometimes says "NO"

Youtube Video

It's funny to think that both series desperately needed the same return to a sandbox and both seem to be succeeding, but maybe BF has more limitations in it's current build whereas Infinite is giving so much freedom that people are finding ways to break it (time stamped 2:50 below).

Youtube Video – [02:50..]

also this

Youtube Video

--

Again, it's a product of building a solid physics sandbox and I'm glad they aren't forbidding this stuff right away. But I bet it'll need to be fine tuned quickly.

• I didn’t play much of either but it’s a yes for halo. I never did gravitate much to battlefield past Vietnam.

Maybe battlefield maps are just too large??? Like

• Nah Battlefield maps getting bigger isn't better or worse. The topography in the series makes every individual area on a map have it's own unique identity and strategy (but there isn't a meta-strategy). If they get bigger the battles pan out differently. For example, a modern BF compared to Vietnam, the gameplay in Vietnam and BFBC2 Vietnam had a ton of choke points or meat grinders. Whatever you want to call them. So the gameplay dynamic was more about mowing people down as they enter an area. The big maps play differently with infantry skirmishes taking place in both long and short distances. I love both types and encourage experimentation now that the maps got bigger but so did the player count and the way you can automatically spawn vehicles or swamp weapons.

To me, variety in map design is the spice in Battlefield so I'll take both bigger maps and smaller maps. Hell, I might be one of the only people who loved BF3's CQB DLC which were close combat maps in hotels or small factories and such. LOVED IT. BF is the type of game where it's sort of fun no matter what.

--

BF tangent aside, despite the grapple hook game of hijacking tag, I think the grapple hook might bring much needed life to Big Team Battles in Infinite. I always liked most of the bigger Halo maps, but recent entries had the biggest player counts in the smaller maps. The big ones weren't great either. I like the asymmetry of the forested map and from what I can tell, both teams get 2 Warthogs and 2 Banshee's.

• @dipset the forest one it’s a good map, I just feel like the middle vault room is a odd design choice.

• This video is such sweet satisfying justice:

Hacker Accidentally Exposes Himself in a Game of Halo 3 😂

Youtube Video