Halo (franchise) - Official Discussion Thread

• @bam541

I also got a Triple Kill / Killing Spree and went 2-4 against him in 1v1 situation so I'll take it as a half embarrassment and honour.

I've always wanted to end up in a FatRat video. He's from Europe and all of his videos are in the North Europe servers. I've tried to alter my server selections to North Europe so I can get dunked on by FatRat but MCC won't let you turn off the Top 3 locations with the highest PING so I never end up in Europe.

All these pseudo-pros use burner accounts so people don't rage quit when they see their Gametag but I'd absolutely stay to get destroyed by him.

• Both good and not-so-good footage coming from the Halo Infinite PvP Weekend Flight (a fancy way of saying Playtest):

These are quick clips.

The Good:
    PHYSICS ARE BACK!

The Perfect Halo Infinite Start
    Youtube Video

Halo Infinite is WILD
    Youtube Video

Mastering Halo Infinite
    Youtube Video

--

Not-So-Good:

Halo Infinite Button Combos are INSANE
    Youtube Video

Should Halo Infinite Remove THIS?!
    Youtube Video

Well this isn't broken at all..
    Youtube Video

--

The good news is that it actually looks a lot more like the Halo I know and love than it did in the first server test a few months ago. Even the not-so-good clips are mostly a result of PC growing pains in the case of the reload-melee combo, but importantly, the physics sandbox is still in effect. So some of the bullshit that can be abused is because the physics system allows for it. Which means the physics system isn't so grounded and COD-ish like Halo Reach, 4, and 5 (to a lesser extent).

So I would actually expect smart players like MintBlitz find physics abuse early-on. Even if it's probably going to be an issue, I hope they keep it in for a bit and let the community decide if you should be able to fling a Flag in CTF cross map.

IDK - looks better than before. 343 in MCC really didn't do a great job on the PC version with KB/M support so I have a feeling there is going to be a ton of PC growing pains here which we've already seen with sniper aiming issues and weird combos on the keyboard. I prefer Halo with a controller, but I would like to use kb/m if they can figure it out. Currently, it's unplayable kb/m in MCC.

• From watching both Infinite and BF 2042 Beta coverage, it seems like Infinite says "YES" whereas BF sometimes says "NO"

Youtube Video

It's funny to think that both series desperately needed the same return to a sandbox and both seem to be succeeding, but maybe BF has more limitations in it's current build whereas Infinite is giving so much freedom that people are finding ways to break it (time stamped 2:50 below).

Youtube Video – [02:50..]

also this

Youtube Video

--

Again, it's a product of building a solid physics sandbox and I'm glad they aren't forbidding this stuff right away. But I bet it'll need to be fine tuned quickly.

• I didn’t play much of either but it’s a yes for halo. I never did gravitate much to battlefield past Vietnam.

Maybe battlefield maps are just too large??? Like

• Nah Battlefield maps getting bigger isn't better or worse. The topography in the series makes every individual area on a map have it's own unique identity and strategy (but there isn't a meta-strategy). If they get bigger the battles pan out differently. For example, a modern BF compared to Vietnam, the gameplay in Vietnam and BFBC2 Vietnam had a ton of choke points or meat grinders. Whatever you want to call them. So the gameplay dynamic was more about mowing people down as they enter an area. The big maps play differently with infantry skirmishes taking place in both long and short distances. I love both types and encourage experimentation now that the maps got bigger but so did the player count and the way you can automatically spawn vehicles or swamp weapons.

To me, variety in map design is the spice in Battlefield so I'll take both bigger maps and smaller maps. Hell, I might be one of the only people who loved BF3's CQB DLC which were close combat maps in hotels or small factories and such. LOVED IT. BF is the type of game where it's sort of fun no matter what.

--

BF tangent aside, despite the grapple hook game of hijacking tag, I think the grapple hook might bring much needed life to Big Team Battles in Infinite. I always liked most of the bigger Halo maps, but recent entries had the biggest player counts in the smaller maps. The big ones weren't great either. I like the asymmetry of the forested map and from what I can tell, both teams get 2 Warthogs and 2 Banshee's.

• @dipset the forest one it’s a good map, I just feel like the middle vault room is a odd design choice.

• This video is such sweet satisfying justice:

Hacker Accidentally Exposes Himself in a Game of Halo 3 😂

Youtube Video

• Okay this looks awesome!

Halo Infinite - Campaign Overview
    Youtube Video

This gameplay trailer works so much better as a "reveal" than what they showed last year. I kinda get some FarCry / AC / GoT vibes from the base clearing, but at least you approach it as a sandbox with an infinite amount of options to approach it.

I wanted to complete the full series Campaign's before playing Infinite's campaign but I keep getting Unreal 4 "UE4 Fatal Error" crashes when I play Halo CE and I might need to abandon ship about 50% through.

• Looks good, just bummed that there’s no coop at launch

• Emergency press conference. Infinite Multiplayer is OUT!

Youtube Video

I guess it's "beta" but it's out for everybody so it is basically the game. Downloading for tonight.

• And we're off to the races!

0_1637016916522_163492f8-2565-4f01-a8ff-9a28211bd349-image.png

• It’s not great. Feels kinda choppy and the menu’s are unfinished. For example, you can bind keys but if you remove a binding, you can’t put it back because there isn’t an option to such as Push to Talk.

My buddy switched his sprint and he can’t undo it.

It feels like a F2P game. Gonna be a long time before it’s polished.

• Watching Huber streaming it rn, can't really say much other than it looks really fun. Also, the post-rock music in the menu is wonderful.

Youtube Video

• This was a very cool orchestral performance this morning before the multiplayer announcement

Youtube Video

• Never been big into Halo's multiplayer outside of setting up lan parties at my high school for the OG PC version of Halo 1 (that I had copied to a flash drive) but the 4 rounds I played last night hit this sweet spot that if not for the fact I had work today I feel like I might have stayed up all night playing.

• This Halo, for some reason, is the first Halo that I've enjoyed the multiplayer.

But damn Microsoft, I'm way too deep in FH5 to play Halo as much as I would like right now.

• @phbz
    I think you can spare an hour or 12 for Halo

• Copied from What Are You Playing?

Halo Infinite is kinda... meh. My friends and I gave it an honest hour and a bit and we just migrated back to Halo 3. Over 50% of the 10 available maps are symmetrical which is really boring. We played a lot of CTF and it was painfully slow paced. We were up 2 caps and just farmed kills for the fun of it, but even some good ol toxic gaming wasn't very fun when you have to spend a minute sprinting across map to rejoin the action. I got a few Slayer rounds in and, again, just not feeling it. The vehicles don't really have that fun physics where they react to grenades or bumps in the same way as older games. The Gravity Hammer has NO impact whatsoever and nobody goes flying anywhere. The game overall just lacks punch and the maps are really boring.

They also commit a few cardinal sins:

• No teamkilling is bullshit. I wanna be able to betray my teammates.

• When a player quits, it doesn't go to 4v3, it autofills with a new player.

To the first point—it's fucking Halo! Team killing is a part of the game. If some 117 scrub is gonna take my Sniper, I'm gonna Betray him. Cannot believe they got rid of Betrayals.

Second point—Again, it's fucking Halo! You need to look your opponent in the eye before and after the match. Pre-lobby shit talk to post-game GG's or amplified shit talk. When you allow new people to join, the intensity is ruined. Plus I keep getting AFK's replaced with more AFK's so it isn't working.

TBH, my first hour of Splitgate was more fun.

• Second night with Infinite. No friends this time. The game randomly decided to perform exceptionally better for no apparent reason and it's actually infinitely more enjoyable when it runs at 60fps. Still a lot of jank.

Uploaded a few clips. Theatre mode is VERY improved. You can sort by kills and deaths, multi-kills, etc. It's a bit glitchy like all menu's in the game. You also can't make that menu in the right corner go away without getting rid of in-game HUD. But once it's patched it'll be the best Theatre mode.

Halo Infinite — 1st Killing Frenzy & 1st Teabag on 117 Scrub
    Youtube Video

Halo Infinite — Match Start Glitch
    Youtube Video

The match started with my gun going off and controller vibrating but I couldn't see anything. Then they did the intro cinematic with my team, but my character was missing. Then the match started and I was right where the Commando gun meets the glass wall. I was disoriented. Go to Theater Mode to play it back and it's almost like the same button inputs are represented but from the perspective of a completely different character that I couldn't see.

• Has anybody been playing Infinite this week?

I've put about 17h into it this week. Which seems like a lot so some of that time must've been idle because I haven't played thaaaat much. Regardless, I've played everything you can play in this Beta build. My quick review...

It's... fine...

And I know that isn't a glowing endorsement, but it's actually a solid enough game. I actually respect some design decisions which keep true to Halo while still feeling familiar to the average FPS gamer. For example, the grenade, gun, and melee holy trinity is in-tact. 343 could've dumped that core game design for a more gun-oriented experience but they kept the Halo roots in there.

Big Team Battle has a Zone Control mode where you need control of all three zones to earn 1 point for your team. This is by far the best example of strategy coupled with the pure chaos of Halo's Big Team gameplay. It's a really solid mode, even if the maps are pretty bland.

However, Infinite MP is just a bit too reliant on teamplay for my liking. A good Halo squad always dominates, but normally I can single-handedly carry 1 or 2 bad team members but it's almost impossible to do that in Infinite. The randomized power weapons and randomized regular weapon spawns means there isn't a uniformity to the matches. So I can't just get a BR and go on a tear. You'd think that's a good thing, but it really isn't. The whole experience is brought down by terrible teammates. We're talking braindead. I had the flag at my base and dropped it so my gun is ready in case somebody challenges me. 2 other teammates went to go retrieve our flag so we can capture. The final dumbass teammate decides to pick up the flag after I drop it, and carry it the complete wrong direction only to die.

The vast majority of my matches when playing solo or with only one friend was brought down by bad teammates. I've had a Warthog and just honked at teammates to hop in so we can capture the flag and they just proceed to run around and do nothing. I've had teammates fly around in a Banshie during CTF and contribute absolutely nothing. It's frustrating because, again, the game is intentionally designed to limit power weapons and have a reliance on team work but I can't do that solo.

Map design is just bad. The one I like the most Launch Site which seems to be everyone else's least favourite. I like it because it's asymmetrical and has 3 power weapons available along with vehicles. So you can take a one way shortcut on the right side to get to the enemy base. You can go through a narrow middle lane which has nice vertical layers. OR you can walk or drive around a long sweeping left lane which has open gunplay. So I like it for it's depth but others don't like it because it is bigger and slower paced.

Other than Launch Site, pretty much every single map is derivative of the Treyarch 3-lane map design formula that you'll find in the Black Ops games. This 3-lane map design is extremely popular nowadays but I don't like it (hence why I thought Modern Warfare in 2019 was fantastic, cause they threw that logic out the window). So that in itself kinda makes Halo feel like a modern shooter with Halo shields and weapons. It doesn't feel like a Halo game through and through. I honestly think one or two better maps would go a long way from improving the overall experience.
    TL;DR
    So all in all, there is a lot of work to do but it's solid as-is in it's current state. I'm not super disappointed or super impressed. I'm right down the middle and am optimistic for the future, but I really strongly believe 343 should consider some better map design theory and consider allowing less power from trash weapons like the Assault Rifle and MORE power from the actual power weapons.