The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• Finally, here we are!

The big one.
    The best of the best.
    The Game of the Decade.

50 participants ranked their 20 favorite games from the years 2010-2019, and we're here to witness the results.

240 games were eligible based on our previous GOTY elections.
    202 of them received at least a vote.

Now let's find out who made it into the Top 50!

• Rocket League

#50. Rocket League - 69 points

Votes

#3 (THECapedCaper), #4 (Oscillator), #13 (cordashio75), #14 (JDINCINERATOR), HM (Jamicov, FF7Cloud, DIPSET)

Information

Release year: 2015
    GOTY Rank: 5th
    Developer: Psyonix
    Publisher: Psyonix
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Xenoblade Chronicles

#49. Xenoblade Chronicles - 69 points

Votes

#1 (takfujii420), #3 (FF7Cloud), #7 (Sheria), HM (NeoCweeny, El Shmiablo)

Information

Release year: 2011
    GOTY Rank: 10th
    Developer: Monolith Soft
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch, Wii, New Nintendo 3DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Jeez, Rocket League barely made it. I guess our crowd doesn't have much of the competitive spirit.

The handling in the game is perfect. It may be the only game where I can say that every bad move that happens is 100% your fault. The best sign of a strong competitive multiplayer game is when it's fun for even the most casual play, but the skill ceiling is also stratospheric. :-)

• Rocket League was an HM but it also could've been Top 5 too. I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE THIS LIST WAS HARD, OK!

My roommate and I got really great at killing the bots on hardest difficulty. 4 v 1 with a cube. Endlessly fun modifiers to play with. Some of my fondest memories living with one of my best friends and old roommate was playing Rocket League from 2014-2020. I think it's finally been retired.

• I think we can all rest easy knowing, even if we see a game we love near the bottom, any game made this list has to be at least tried. Remember, it's of the DECADE. This list is paired down from THOUSANDS of games over the last ten years.

• Niceeeee.

I'm so bad at Rocket League, but luckily there's a pretty strong Esports scene that I can drop by here and there to watch some sick-ass plays.

• I like that we start with someone's #1.

I had a chance to play Rocket League with others and it was fun. But playing it alone (which is 99.99% of my gaming) wasn't interesting enough to keep going. Still, this game definitely deserves to be in Top 50.

I played Xenoblade Chronicles this year for the first time via Definitive Edition. I liked it and I haven't sold it after I've beat it (this is the third Switch game I'm keeping). But at the same time this game doesn't deserve any awards because it's such a low effort. Grand locations and sense of journey are completely ruined by low-res textures, terrible animations and low polygon count. Even by Switch standards it looks bad. I don't know how original version was perceived in 2011, but since this Definitive Edition looks like a 2011 game, I'm sure that original is a low effort as well. So even through I liked it more than Rocket League, I will never put it above it.

• Rocket League is good but not good enough to be my top 15. I enjoyed my time with it and Super Sonic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars. The base game is great but never cared for anything they added after that. Don't care for the basketball/hockey modes or mutator settings.

Also we got 1 JRPG in so far.

• @sazime said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

I think we can all rest easy knowing, even if we see a game we love near the bottom, any game made this list has to be at least tried. Remember, it's of the DECADE. This list is paired down from THOUSANDS of games over the last ten years.

Absolutely, any game in that Top 50 is a must-have, best-of-class kind of game. There are no losers here, making that list is a huge feat in itself. Once it's over, just look back at all the ones that didn't make it, that will tell the whole story.

I played Rocket League for a few weeks when it came out on PS Plus, and I liked it a lot. But just like with any other online multiplayer game, I never felt like dedicating much time to get really good at it and eventually moved on to other things. Talking about it makes me want to install it again though, just for a few matches.

I still haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles, despite playing X and 2. It's high on my wishlist and I'll get to it eventually.

• Shocking to see Xenoblade so low.

• @sheria Really. I was totally expecting it to end up in the top 25.

• Global Moderator

Here... we.. GO!

This list will be so much fun to follow! I missed the Rocket League train when it came out and then kinda been one of those titles "I should check it out" but never get around to due to the amount of other games I'm playing and got in my backlog.

And I felt that this was such a hard list to make.

• 69 Points on 50! I know that it's ultimately made up of roughly the same amount of people voting for it but it really gives a different feel to the whole thing! :)

• I wonder how many points #1 will have. My bet is 370.

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

I wonder how many points #1 will have. My bet is 370.

Haha, that could be a fun side-bet for everyone to guess!

• While I greatly enjoyed my time with Rocket League, I couldn't justify keeping it on my list with so many other incredible games to consider.

Xenoblade Chronicles is one of, if not the the best JRPG in the last decade, and really gave me the same sense of majesty and wonder that the original Xenogears gave me back in the day. I think it is a shame that the series has veered off into the territory of cringey waifubait gachashit and hope it can find it's way back to it's roots in the future.

• These are both games I've enjoyed playing. I haven't played Rocket League since it's launch month and I finished Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time in June. Unfortunately, neither game made it very far when I started making cuts for my list.

• It has BEGUN! cue Mortal Kombat theme

I guess how I'll comment for this thread is to look back at the respective threads we've done and see if my stance has changed and subsequently how each respective game placed in their given year.

With that said, the only thing I said about Rocket League is how it's a simple concept, but it's simultaneously brilliant. Something that would be fun to try, but since I'm not into multiplayer or competitive things in general, it's a game I've let go by. Also, this placed 5th in 2015, just barely making it into the top 50. That's something else.

I didn't say much regarding our #10 game of 2011, but Xenoblade does have its passionate fanbase. I think what I'm going to find the most fun about this list is how diverse prior placement each entry has been over the years as a combination of voters, preference, and how strong/weak a given year was/is in relation to the others.