The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• I respect both RDR and Death Stranding for their ambition and ability to succeed in trying something new. I just think in the grand scheme of enjoyable games this decade, neither stand out to me as being the types of games I want to play more than once, but I appreciate their legions of loyal fans.

• Resident Evil VII: Biohazard

#36. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard - 85 points

Votes

#3 (collin), #6 (iboshow), #8 (MiserablePerson), #12 (Axel, cordashio75), #14 (Otos, Sheria)

Information

Release year: 2017
    GOTY Rank: 8th
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Return of the Obra Dinn

#35. Return of the Obra Dinn - 90 points

Votes

#3 (feer, tokeeffe9), #4 (MiserablePerson), #6 (Sentinel Beach), #9 (thisnameislame), HM (Capnbobamous)

Information

Release year: 2018
    GOTY Rank: 10th
    Developer: 3909 LLC
    Publisher: 3909 LLC
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I need to find a day I can just devote to Obra Dinn, I didn't like it as much as Papers, Please but Lucas Pope for sure knows how to make different game concepts interesting and makes it so they don't feel limited in their scope.

Resident 7 looks so good, my scary ass has been to afraid to try it, but I've been interested in trying out the RE remake and see if I keep going.

• I could swear that I'd voted for Resident Evil VII but upon reinspection, it didn't quite make my list. It's one of my absolute favorite Halloween games to go through. The bayou vibes and the feeling of exploring a creaking old house is just so special and well done. I wish there were more monsters to fight, but I loved my entire play of that, and come back to it every so often. I have so much respect for horror that can deliver so much from atmosphere, and doesn't try to just give you all jump scares. The scares in REVII feel earned, and the characters end up feeling more fleshed out than you'd expect by the end. What a masterpiece!

I've been slowly picking away at Return of the Obra Dinn. It's not exactly the way my brain operates, and so I love playing it with my girlfriend because she kills at deductive reasoning and being a detective to bounce ideas off of. She gets motion sick watching me play though so we take it slow. I love this game a ton though. From the visuals to just the way you need to think about things, it's such a unique and completely unrivaled puzzle experience in my head. For those who have finished it, I'd recommend that GMTK video he did about it, but I didn't want to have any spoilers, so I have avoided it.

• The second game on our list I'm familiar with, I'm happy to see Resident Evil VII: Biohazard make the cut. While I'm not a fan of playing the RE games, only Michael's Huber and Damiani I trust to watch a full playthrough of an RE game, and it all started VII. I don't know why I was so captivated by it at the time. I don't do horror, but there was something about it that I had to see it through via Huber's full playthrough. Since then, I've watched the full runs of 2 Remake, 4, 5, 3 Remake and REmake by either Huber or Damiani. I enjoyed watching VII so much that I've watched both the full playthrough and subsequent DLC streams twice. This is a good game.

At the time of release and subsequent GOTY thread, I didn't play Return of the Obra Dinn because it was exclusive to PC, but I do like the aesthetic, though I remarked if it did get ported, it would hop on my "I'm interested" list. But then, at some point in time since, I discovered there's a certain... something... in the game that made me immediately go, "Nope. Oh well. Can't miss what I've never played." Also, I know I've pointed out a few times games being higher here than their contemporaries in a given year, but Obra Dinn now holds the lead of the biggest gap: In 2018, it placed 10th whereas Monster Hunter World garnered 4th place with TWICE the points. In comparison, Obra Dinn is above Monster Hunter by EIGHT spots. With such a disparity, it appears more people not only voted for MH: W in 2018, but a majority of those votes were HMs and on top of that, it appears the most clear distinction of the Venn diagram of people who voted then and didn't now.

• I don't understand Return of the Obra Dinn. HLTB says that it's an 8-hour game. I filled every page of my journal and finished it in 2 hours, but was told that I've learned nothing (which is true). I have no idea what else I was supposed to be doing. If this is a game and not just 3D art gallery, then it failed in telling me how to play it.

• Totally respect re7 but I just watch and don't play horror games typically,

Was tempted by obra dinn but honestly the art style is more of a turn off too me.

• I adore Resident Evil VII and have completed it a few times. It just didn’t make the cut. The highs are high but the lows are also low with sluggish boss battles that annoyed me on the first playthrough.

I have to try the VR one day. I hear it’s unlike anything up to that point. I just don’t have VR so I can’t judge it on that level.

• @Sentinel-Beach, we got you covered! Didn't play it in 2018 since I don't really use my laptop for games, but got it on Xbox One X last year and loved it. @ffff0, the first time you use the pocketwatch serves as essentially the only tutorial that I recall and explains every mechanic for how to progress - I thought it was a very good opening. It is not just an art gallery, more like a carefully crafted collection of stop motion shots that let you see how scenes unfolded. Also the art style and that soundtrack though!

• Can't believe Obra Dinn actually made it! And so high on the list, leaving behind a bunch of big names. What a great surprise. :)

I'd need to comment the list more, haven't actually done that at all yet.

• I played Resident Evil 7 for the first time earlier this year and had a blast. I'm not really into horror game but Resident Evil grabbed me after watching that EZA full playthrough of 2.

I love the environment and how everything fits together. Because the game is in first person, they're able to do a lot more with movement and atmosphere.

The combat is a little clunky at times and I often found myself panicking so much and getting hit that the game was too busy telling me "I've been hit" with it's screen filter and camera shake for me to be able to rectify that.

But... the game gets weaker as it moves away from the mansion. But the finale is 10/10 setpieces.

• Obra Dinn has been a disappointment, Papers Please, which is on my top, was a fantastic game but Obra just didn't work for me. its art style didn't help.

RE7 is fine. The opening moments in VR are some of my favourite gaming experiences but once the game starts rolling it gets too clumsy and I ended up abandoning VR. Great atmosphere for the most part but once you leave the house for the boat the appreciation for the game died for me.

• 15 games in and not a single one I've voted for :^)

• The first time I played Obra Dinn, I loved it but it was just too confusing for me. About a year later though I decided to sit down with a pen and paper and really try to work at uncovering the mystery, and completing it ended up being one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a game. It really doesn't hold your hand at all, making each correct deduction feel super special. Game design at it's finest.

• Return of the Obra Dinn is very high on my wishlist, and seeing it rank #35 here consolidated that even more. I'll pick it up once I'm done with my current games.

Resident Evil VII was so, so good. Probably my favourite RE game, although it felt like its own thing. Gave me strong P.T. vibes, especially the opening hours. The flashbacks via VHS tapes were a really neat idea, both narratively and gameplay-wise by cleverly showing you hints and secret passages. All in all, it's probably my second favourite horror game now, behind the Dead Space series.

Based on this, I have great hopes for Village, can't wait for it.

• DOOM

#34. DOOM - 93 points

Votes

#6 (Brannox), #7 (Chocobop), #8 (Shoulderguy, THECapedCaper), #11 (Brandon_Reister), #13 (NeoCweeny, Crepe), HM (MiserablePerson)

Information

Release year: 2016
    GOTY Rank: 5th
    Developer: id Software
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Final Fantasy XV

#33. Final Fantasy XV - 93 points

Votes

#4 (HappyGaming), #6 (JW), #9 (Sazime, naltmank), #11 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern), #15 (Jamicov), HM (FF7Cloud, Capnbobamous, bam541)

Information

Release year: 2016
    GOTY Rank: 3rd
    Developer: Square Enix
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Getting the feeling that a quarter of my list is gonna be in the top 10 and the other 75% won't place at all. I dunno there's been a lot of "alright" games so far but nothing I'd have seriously considered for a "best of the decade" list.

• Oh man, I love both these games!

I just finished Doom a few months back, but man it was a ride I loved! I didn't much care for the story but then, I don't think that's exactly the point of the game. It really nails that Quake/Unreal Tournament quick movement, fast shooting that I've missed for so long, and makes shooting feel so fun. The way every enemy has to be tackled differently really makes you think on your toes about what weapon you have out and how you're going to traverse your environment every split second as things change and makes all those gory kills so satisfying. Also shout out to the soundtrack. Reviewers didn't love it, but Mick Gordon can write some pumping metal tracks!

I completely recognize that Final Fantasy XV isn't everyone's favorite, and that it's a flawed game. It went through a decade of tumultuous changes, from the hardware it was on, to the people making it, to how it was going to connect to Final Fantasy XIII. But at the end of the day, I can so easily look past its flaws because of how big its heart is. It was the game I waited a decade for, even if it was wearing a different outfit, and I felt so much joy exploring the world with the gang of friends, fighting big monsters, collecting the spirit arms, and really just feeling connected to a place. It's not the best Final Fantasy game. It's got a lot of things that are too big and grand for itself. But in the end, I always cry because I've felt so much for the cast and felt legitimately connected to them, and it felt like a gift to play such a wonderful, heartfelt thing after such a difficult cycle of development. It remains one of my personal favorite games in the franchise, even if it will never appeal to everyone.