The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• Outer Wilds captures the joy of discovery in ways that few games do. It rarely, if ever, holds your hand, making each discovery and reveal seem so special. Oftentimes the solutions to some of the game's biggest mysteries are simple, yet they are virtually impossible to figure out until we make the right discovery. It also relies on it's core mechanics very well; there are no unlockables or power-ups or anything of the like. All you gain is knowledge, be it of the story or the knowledge of how to uncover that next big mystery. None of it feels cheap or unearned because each solution is there from the very beginning of the game. It just comes down to when we figure it out.

The narrative itself is beautiful as well. It's incredibly melancholic, but with enough happiness and optimism to give it a rather indescribable tone. I can tell you that for me personally, Outer Wilds is one of the most uplifting games I've ever played. I'll save you from spoilers, but know that it tackles difficult themes head on in a way that I think could cause people to feel a number of different emotions. I can definitely see where those who find it sad are coming from, but for me personally the "life goes on" motif is very comforting. I'm confident that if I finished it in 2019 it would have been my GOTY.

Edit: I have to mention the music, because it is absolutely phenomenal. I adore the way it ties into the narrative of the game as well. Also I don't want to simplify the emotions it causes because even though I find it uplifting, it still let the waterworks flow.

• Some of my thoughts of the games so far at this halfway point.

#50: Rocket League: Haven't played, just not for me.

#49: Xenoblade Chronicles: Haven't played. Maybe somewhat interested, but the art style and the general vibe aren't for me.

#48: Life Is Strange: My #9! I had no idea I'd love living as a teenage girl so much. Superbly captivating, absolutely loved my time in Arcadia Bay. So many small moments and natural dialogue. The music choices were also spot on.

#47: Journey: I have played, but I don't get the praise of the game. Pretty neat anyway.

#46: Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Haven't played, not really interested either... but maybe??

#45: Cuphead: Haven't played, hats off to the art style nonetheless.

#44: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: Haven't played, good be fun for a while.

#43: Monster Hunter: World: Haven't played, not for me.

#42: Control: I have played & platinumed. A really solid game, I liked a lot the weird atmosphere.

#41: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: Haven't played, the FromSoftware games aren't for me.

#40: The Witness: My HM! A brilliant game, and I'm proud that I made it to the end without any guides. (Though the final platinum challenge still awaits me...) This game made me honestly FEEL the existence of my brain in my head. O_O What a weird sensation that was.

#39: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Haven't played, no interest either.

#38: Red Dead Redemption: My #14! The summer of 2010 was my summer of John Marston. My God, this game was really something! An unforgettable journey. The release of RDR2 has, however, dropped this one a bunch of spots...

#37: Death Stranding: My HM! This is actually my GOTY 2019, I ended up loving this strange beauty of a game. Such a unique thing. I've been meaning to return to this and platinum it, but there's no time for such returns.

#36: Resident Evil VII: Biohazard: Haven't played, but watching Huber's playthrough was fun.

#35: Return of the Obra Dinn: My #6! Fuck yes! One of the absolutely strongest gaming experiences I've had in recent years, and I'm glad you people agreed enough for the game to make it to the list. Such a fresh idea and its execution here. And that soundtrack, basically flawless. I fell in love with a carillon, what an instrument!

#34: DOOM: I have played & platinumed. A super solid FPS which I enjoyed a lot. Nothing more, nothing less.

#33: Final Fantasy XV: Haven't played, no interest either.

#32: Dark Souls III: Haven't played, no interest either.

#31: Mario Kart 8: Haven't played, could be cool to try out.

#30: What Remains of Edith Finch: I have played. This didn't strike specifically strong, however. Don't know why. Hard to remember what happened. The house was cool.

#29: Civilization V: Haven't played, but I've come pretty close to buy! Super interested in the series, but I've not had enough time for something like this.

#28: Portal 2: Haven't played, no interest either.

#27: Fallout: New Vegas: I have played... for some hours. The game became literally unplayable on PS3 back then, the fps was like 5 in-doors. I'd love a remaster on next-gen.

#26: INSIDE: Haven't played, could be interesting.

#25: Outer Wilds: Haven't played, not really interested.

• Two indie colossus.

Inside is my #6, love the art direction and soundtrack. The opening is fantastic and the closing section might be my favourite ending ever. Game design at it best, mechanically satisfying beyond words. Being Another World forever my number 1 game, PlayDead is a blessing to my gaming tastes.

Outer Wilds is my #4. I can't think of a single open world adventure with better design. It's what I want every AAA game to aim for. The world unwraps as you explore it, without needs of pointers. Curiosity is all you need. Unfortunately there's no space in the AAA for a game such as this and lack of budget shows otherwise could even aspire to top spot.

• Inside is an amazing game. It's very good at keeping me at my toes, whether it's through the intensely menacing atmosphere, dangerous level design, or the time based puzzles that is spread here and there to add variety to the regular puzzles. Not to mention it controls very well, movement feels smooth and responsive which is helped by great animations. I would have liked to care more about the story of the game beyond the surface level of "oh man there's some weird shit going on here!", but it's just not presented in a way that interests me personally. This would be somewhere in my top 30, I think.

I only have two games from my list so far, I'm hoping at least one of my less popular pick shows up but it's quite unlikely now...

• Halfway through and one game in!
    Not mad though, these are some pretty good games.

• 52% of list was revealed. Only 3 of my votes made the cut so far and at this point I'm sure that 10 of my votes, including my #1 will not make it. That's OK, most of my votes aren't for popular titles. But if my #2 will not make it, that would be sad.

• On the subject of how many votes that have appeared, as I touched on at the top of my Portal 2 comment, I have only two games I voted for make the list so far, and of what's left, I'm expecting six more to make it by thread's end. And of my list, I really feel my third favorite game of the decade won't make the cut, as it's the highest game on my list where 1.) I feel as if I'm the only one who holds it to as high praise as I do (Though it does get praise) and 2.) From the predictions I left above, general consensus doesn't put it as better than anything on that list.

• Inside is on par with Limbo to me, even if it doesn't quite hold the same sort of significance of timing. There's something that PlayDead nails about sound and atmosphere that is just unmatched for me. Not that there aren't other horror-themed games that I like more, but those two I specifically put into a special category that plays so well with its feeling of tension and suspense rather than a feeling of dread and horror. Inside has such a richness of world that feels complete, but also like you never really get to look at all the pieces clearly. A broken world that is decayed and mysterious. And as the game goes on, it adds more questions until the very last bit, which was so incredible and insane, it is unforgettable to me, and makes me think about the actions and world of the game to this day. Definitely one of my favorite annual Halloween playthroughs!

The Outer Wilds is one that I'm still trying to get over the first hump for. I've heard a lot of people talk about starting it, dying, and then turning it off, only to fall in love with it later on. For me, I've picked it up on three or four different occasions. I like exploring, but I think the time limit for me makes things a little frustrating, making me start over when I could just be starting to understand the surroundings I'm getting accustomed to. I really hope I can get into it though, the music is so jolly, and I love exploring in my ship, even if the controls are hard for me to get used to. I think it's also just a little more difficult for me personally to get into games that have less of a leash or specific goal. When I have too much freedom, I end up having less fun. I would like some sort of list in my ship, or just a general guide to what I should be doing, and that's just not the point of the game to my understanding. So hopefully the next time I play, it'll click with me. Otherwise, I'll still enjoy the soundtrack.

• Inside is one of the most dissapointing and boring games that I've played from last years.

• Been a moment (it's been a long, hard, couple of weeks). Happy to see Control make it, and I wonder if I hadn't ranked it where I did, if it would have made it at all?

Of course, there are spots of my other picks up there, and looking at my list again I wonder if the recent picks got more favor from me for being recent, but c'est la vie. The fact I'm seeing other games I enjoy immensely in the list, that I didn't even vote for, does us all well. I don't doubt we've picked the best of the decade.

• I absolutely loved Inside and it's essentially an October Halloween spirit must-play but I don't think it's the 25th best game of the decade. Seems a bit high, but I definitely think a lot of people should play this if they haven't. One of the best uses of 3D space in a side scroller.

@ffff0 you got me hyped up to play Outer Wilds on Game Pass but I don't see it on there. I think you might be thinking of Outer Worlds? Either way, I'll be trying Outer Wilds soon enough, at least by virture of it being a certified innovation in gaming and potentially an influential game depending on the output in the next few years. Time loops are starting to show up everywhere already...

• @dipset I played Outer Wilds on Game Pass too. I don't think it was taken off but idk maybe it was.

• Weird. I google it and it shows up but when I search it on the actual Game Pass I get nothing.

0_1598839949411_2ff01bf0-cfa4-4ee0-8d62-3c651fd21cf9-image.png

• @dipset Just looked it up, it's not on Game Pass PC. Only Xbox.

• Hmmm I didn't realize they had different titles on PC and Xbox. I only just got the free trial. It's a really weird app because sometimes it lists a game and says I have to purchase it or "Play on Game Pass for Xbox" but then later the exact same game will just say "Install" next to it if I click it through a different link than "View All Games".

This new Xbox app is definitely better than the terrible Microsoft Store that I used to have to launch Forza through, but it's clearly not perfect.

• @happygaming said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

I think it's also just a little more difficult for me personally to get into games that have less of a leash or specific goal. When I have too much freedom, I end up having less fun. I would like some sort of list in my ship, or just a general guide to what I should be doing

Same for me. My standard desire to "clear the map" in open-world game helped me to start playing Outer Wilds. My advice would be to go to all locations on your starting planet (you'll see them when you fly over the planet) and try to interact with everything you notice. This gave me enough mysteries to pursue to get invested in game's lore. Also there's a helpful log on the ship that shows which locations still have important clues and which are "cleared" (which means that there still may be something there, but it's not very important). You just need to find these locations first (by visiting them or by reading about them somewhere else).

• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

#24. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 117 points

Votes

#1 (JW), #3 (Axel), #5 (iboshow), #8 (Marcus3run), #12 (Otos), #13 (collin), #14 (DIPSET), HM (Brandon_Reister, Nimbat1003, FerrisK96)

Information

Release year: 2015
    GOTY Rank: 3rd
    Developer: Kojima Productions
    Publisher: Konami
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Ah Metal Gear Solid V. The game that, while I'm not a fan of the Metal Gear franchise, made me follow the Kojima/Konami situation with more interest than one really should. It's been discussed to death by those who are actual fans what this game could've been if Konami wasn't Konami, but alas, what is here is evidently good enough to be a great game on its own. Tangentially, I think I heard awhile back that everyone who played on the PS3 was able to disarm and turn over all their nuclear warheads, unlocking an extremely rare cutscene. That's bonkers. Talk about jolly co-operation.

• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is such an interesting game: it's captivating and boring at the same time. You walk through the same locations doing the same thing, but it's still fun. You watch cut-scenes that are too long and can't stop watching. Story developments are absurd and pointless, and you keep thinking about them. Characters are caricatures, but you care about them. And I can see only one reason for that: Kojima. But we voting for games here, not for game creators, and as a game Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain isn't among my favorites.

• I loved the gameplay of MGS V so much, but man I just can't help but feel disappointed by the story and how they presented it, and also the fact that the game just rehashed old missions after a certain point (at which I immediately hard quitted the game). It's still a fun game, but I wouldn't even consider putting it anywhere near my top 50, let alone top 20.