The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• And once again, a lower game placed in its thread places higher here, but what makes this entry particularly keen is that not too long ago, Batman: Arkham City was runner up to Portal 2 for GOTY. This disparity will always be fascinating, regardless of game.

Anywho, for Arkham City itself, it's a great game and my favorite of the Rocksteady Arkhams. I'll leave out my rehash for this series introducing me to being a casual fan of the property, but the remainder of my comment holds true:

"It took a while for me to get City, but when I did, I felt irritated it took me so long. Of all the games, City has my favorite story, and having Arkham City split into specific areas of territory for the villains (Joker, Penguin and Two-Face having their own space) really gave off a sense of unique turf in an open city. With each game, the settings have gotten better, and while Asylum gets a lot of deserved praise of having captivating interiors and being an interconnected 3D metroidvania island, the potential of City just spoke to me more. Another underrated aspect of City is introducing side-stories for more villains to be involved that don't get as much attention like Hush and Deadshot. Getting to play as Catwoman was a nice change up (and the first shot of the game being such a nod to the end is too good). Finally, obviously, the most notable part the City is known for: The top tier boss fights."

On top of this, I had neglected to mention at the time, that much like Warden Sharp's office in Asylum, the next game tease easter egg for Scarecrow is also excellent (All the easter eggs really. Arkham does nods and winks quite well). I voted it 11th of the decade on my list because as I JUST mentioned with Horizon (which, serendipitously enough, is one spot ahead of Arkham City on top games list meaning Arkham City is my 32nd favorite game, yet it finishes one spot ahead here), many years with their individual GOTYs filled my votes in the top half of my ballot.

As I have been doing with shouting out whenever a game makes our countdown when it was nominated for HoG consideration, I will continue to do so now with the addition of a wonderful resource that was presented during today's Community Showcase (of which I'm looking forward to showing this thread love in next month's stream): A website built by a Mr. Joey Bruno and if you're reading this sir, SHOUT OUT to you! This website is an awesome breakdown of almost every which way you can imagine, from each ceremony, grouped by Ally, which games are The Greats (tm), and every game has it's own dedicated page. If you're a fan of Hall of Greats (and/or are a supernerd for the in the weeds stat stuff like me), I HIGHLY encourage you to visit it! Getting back to how this pertains to Arkham City, Huber brought it to the 7th ceremony only garnering three votes, but is respectable in what I feel as the most balanced of a nominee list to date.

To wrap up this chapter of my The Decade in GOTYs epic I seem to be writing, I want to give out more virtual high-fives to my fellow Arkham voters (which looking at the amount of voters here, will most likely be the last time, not because I don't think more of my votes will appear [as I think there are four more games I cast votes for will still show up] but because it's a long list of names and I'm hyper conscious of tagging so many, so often). So, for I feel will be the last time I do so, huge props to: @Scotty, @bard91, @Nimbat1003, @naltmank, @Crepe, @Sentinel-Beach, @Brandon_Reister, @Marcus3run, @Capnbobamous, @iboshow, and @Axel!

• I just platinum this bad boy. One of the best games made. The story just keeps escalating and can't wait for Rocksteady's next game.

• My friend and I were just talking about how the ArkhamCity has one of the best Batman stories bar none. I appreciate and love the claustrophobia of Asylum, but the scope of City (in terms of literal map size and in terms of stakes) is simply unreal. Love this game.

• I splurged on Arkham City when it came out, and it gave me a similar feeling to when I first played Spider Man on PS1. Just feeling like the character and having the freedom to beat up dudes around the city felt so right. I think I definitely prefer the tighter, more contained game of Asylum, but City really evolves in all the right ways. There are more thugs and types of guys to beat. More bosses. More gadgets. It's exactly what a sequel should be, and it's a sequel to maybe my favorite superhero game. I admittedly never even got too into Arkham Knight because the over reliance on batmobile puzzles and mechanics just felt tacked on and unnecessary and slowed things down. There are also just an enormous amount of great moments I remember from City, even if the story overall didn't sink in as well as some parts from Asylum. Those end credits are just... Maybe some of the most memorable I've ever seen. What a game!

• I like this game but I always felt it was a step backwards from the original. The open world didn't help the game design for my taste and the story felt pretty aimless until it suddenly ends. Like all these villains are inserted in for the sake of it.

I significantly prefer Asylum and Knight over City.

• Red Dead Redemption 2

#18. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 145 points

Votes

#3 (Sentinel Beach), #7 (Shoulderguy, ffff0, collin, bam541, Hazz3r), #8 (TokyoSlim), #11 (clingring, Phbz), HM (cordashio75, Capnbobamous, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release year: 2018
    GOTY Rank: 2nd
    Developer: Rockstar Studios
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I've spent way more that 100 hours with RDR2, on a technical level nothing comes close to it, and it's a world rich in detail and small stories. I explored it deeply and left it sure that there was still more to discover. From a free roaming open world perspective it's as much a 10/10 as any game can aspire to be, yet the missions that drive the game are structurally uninspired and a step back from GTA5, which is something I really can't find a reasonable explanation for, except that maybe the game was in development for so long that missions might be a result of that. But it still remains true that 80% of the game is top tier and R* keeps not only being one step above but 4 or 5 steps when it comes to building worlds.

• I wasn't attached to the story and characters of Red Dead Redemption 2 (or any other Rockstar game I’ve played), but this game is a technical masterpiece. From rays of light hitting through the fog to the vast fields going up to horizon - every frame can be printed and put on the wall. And finally we have a game where background blur during dialogs doesn't create artifacts around hair edges. The only real drawback of this game is extremely slow walking speed in the camp (probably it's because of background loading for all possible interactions). I really hope that at least some of the tech that was invented for this game will find its way in other open-world titles.

Even though I played this game twice (Xbox One X and PC) and liked it both times, I can’t say that it was fun. It's a wonderful world to dive into and inhabit, but the gameplay aspect just wasn’t something I want to praise. It has nothing to do with controls (no major problems for me here); it just felt a bit routine. So it’s my #7.

• How does RDR 2 beat RDR

• @iboshow Probably because it's a better game in pretty much every sense over Red Dead Redemption.

• @tokeeffe9 care to expand? Or do you just want to leave it at blatantly condescending?

• RDR2 looks awesome. I avoided it because I didn’t want the time sink. I watched my roommate hunt for a 3 star pelt for like an hour and realized I will play this when I have nothing ahead of me.

Seems to be the most detailed game ever made. Great on all fronts. Just need to finally play it.

• It's funny to me that we have two very different open worlds right next to one another.

To me, Batman: Arkham City is the exact kind of open-world game I tend to enjoy most. It's smaller, it's dense, and those aspects provide unique opportunities. Since it's smaller, you have to explore the same areas multiple times, but they often change or open up depending on your kit. Usually, with larger open worlds, it's difficult to make every interaction feel unique.

If RDR2 was released in the same era of GTA V or Skyrim, I'd be more forgiving of the canned interactions and I'd be less fatigued by its size. That being said, it's a fantastic game but one that is intimidating when so many other games are at my disposal.

• While I'm a little surprised RDR 2 is this low, taking a look back at my predictions list shows almost everything left to be unveiled are all top tier, so it's getting even more and more into splitting hairs over each game's greatness.

You know my spiel about me and Rockstar, so I'm only going to leave a small portion of my comment from that thread here:

"I respect how realistic the game (is) and it can't really be argued about how graphically impressive it is. But as someone who never like Westerns (and just a general dislike of Rockstar's portfolio at large), I simply don't get the love for it. I understand that goes both ways, so I don't really press the issue."

• Banned

Bought it last night with birthday zennies.
    Looking forward to getting killed by cougars out of nowhere.

• @el-shmiablo

Between Odyssey and RDR2, you’re gonna get a PS5 when it’s discounted for the PS6 launch.

• Both Red Dead Redemption games made my list, RDR 2 is a few spots higher (my #7 and #13). It's higher because of the overall gameplay, story and presentation improvements made, but mostly it's for the character of Arthur Morgan. I didn't know anything about him before I started playing but I soon became extremely invested in his journey, and that lasted all the way to the end. RDR 2 is my second favorite Rockstar game and one of the best games of the decade.

• In it's attempt to recreate it's own image of the Wild West, RDR2 can be too big and too stubborn for it's own good, but I just can't help but adore the things that the game really did right. I don't think there's any other open world right now that is as detailed and life-like as RDR2's world. While a good chunk of the story feels kinda filler-ish, I think the absolutely amazing cast of characters and the many great moments that involve them are more than enough to compensate for it. The controls can be a hassle (especially in combat, there's nothing else I can say other than the combat controls is not fun) because of how the game prioritizes animations fluidity rather than response times, but during slower moments I think it really helps to build this immersive sense of being in that world as an old tough dude like Arthur. I also enjoy the smaller systems and how they complete the game by simply being in it with each other: like the weapon customization, horse management, camping, etc.

The game knows what it's trying to be (IMO it's being a wild west simulator), and for the most part, it never really backed down from that concept despite the potential negatives it could have, which is something that I really respect.

• As impressed as I was with the tech and the feeling of the game world in Red Dead Redemption 2, I was never really compelled by many of the characters, and thought the plot could have trimmed about fifty percent of itself. There were also too many missions where I would talk to someone on horseback, they'd lead me fifty miles out of my way, and then I'd just have to ride back with nothing interesting in between. Certain missions were awesome and memorable, a swamp mission, and some beats where things are leading to the final act. But those acts are so long with missions that didn't make me feel connected to the characters. Personally, I've just never been very attached to Rockstar's mission structure for most of their games, minus Bully. A certain part where you build a house in RD2 is pretty jolly though! The game is just so long for something I wasn't into in the first place. A game I voted highly for is also admittedly very long (no spoilers), but I generally feel it comes down to pacing for me, and Red Dead 2 is very slow, and doesn't provide enough for me to invest myself in during those slow periods once the mystique of the world itself has worn off. All that being said, I finished this one, and never finished 1, so there's also that. It's been said before, but open world stuff just isn't my thing.

• RDR 2 is so much better than the original, hence it’s place on my votes. It’s wide array of systems and realism make it so appealing to immediate replay or extended free form play. I adored the story and the set pieces but living in that world was bliss.