The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• What I said recently about Witcher III certainly pertains here as well, specifically with what I said several months ago:

"Skyrim is a game that has two personal issues: 1.) Way, WAY too much to do and choice. Kind of "paralysis by analysis" as it were. For me, it's not a selling point to say a game is triple digit in hours and you still will (have) content to parse through. And 2.) Spiders. $^#& Spiders."

A major difference being the Witcher has a better story hook and more appealing character models. Yet, seeing Skyrim so high, but Portal 2 in the middle of the pack here, is both the most and least surprising of all the "lower game places higher" trend we've seen on this list: MOST surprising because Portal 2 is the 2011 GOTY and the gulf of almost TWENTY places is astounding. LEAST surprising because, if you go back and take a closer look at how the votes panned out, both games had the same amount of GOTY votes, and of course more games to pick from and the venn diagram of voters isn't a complete circle.

I'll never touch Skyrim, and as I also touched on back in the 2011 GOTY thread, it was the phenomenon in gaming at the same time as Minecraft, and as PUBG and Fortnite have become in recent years. I wonder if Elder Scrolls VI will be even bigger (and more glitchy/memeable). But we won't know that for YEARS.

EDIT: OH! I forgot (because it IS forgettable) Skyrim WAS nominated once for the Hall of Greats, but it is THE only nominee on our countdown to have been BANNED. It was brought by Damiani at HoG 4 and we haven't seen it since.

• Nice to see Skyrim make the top 10. Elder Scrolls fans don't have much to celebrate about these days, so shout out to all my fellow Skyrim voters.

I said this about Skyrim for the GOTY 2011 a few months ago:

"Skyrim is my favorite game of 2011. With multiple playthroughs, dlc, mods and the Enderal total conversion mod, It's a game that has delivered me more moments of joy than any game I played from 2011. It's one of those games I can jump into and have a good time with right away, even if it's not always how the creators intended."

• I got lost in Skyrim the year it came out. I got it for Christmas, and had all the time in the world to just get lost in it. I thoroughly enjoyed the world, how it has such an enchanting ambiance, and how it's delicately presented as this wide open space where you can go anywhere and anything can happen, it really feels like it welcomes exploration in a way that few games in my recent memory have achieved. I never touched the main story after I got the first dragon done for, and mainly just explored caves and castles and wandered to see what I could find. While I have to mention that he is reportedly not a good person whatsoever and has done reprehensible things that I cannot condone, I think that the music from the score definitely deserves recognition as it's sometimes achingly beautiful and iconic.

After I played for dozens of hours, I eventually put the game down. I admire it greatly, loved battling monsters and climbing mountains and adventuring the world, but never want to touch it again. It's something that I look at with every new release and just think "I've already done my time". I still dream of a re-release or HD update to Morrowind, as that was my favorite world in the Elder Scrolls universe.

• I started Skyrim like 5 different times, but I never committed to it, and I just feel I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I played it now.

• I played almost nothing BUT Skyrim in 2011

I tell this story a lot, but I didn't realize that I'd "beaten" the game until like 30 or so hours afterwards.
    I just kept going, trying to clear the map. Fun fact, you cannot in fact "clear the map". It just generates fetch quests in perpetuity.

That being said, it fell just outside my list.

• I liked Morrowind, loved Oblivion, but Skyrim felt just OK. But I still 100% it. This game cater to so many different play styles that it's not surprise that so many people loved it. So I congratulate this game for making into our top 10.

• Skyrim almost made it in to my list, it's probably somewhere in my top 30. I spent most of my 60+ hours playtime just messing around in the world. It's just a very accessible, fun game that I can play in almost any mood. Running around the map while listening to the amazing soundtrack feels so cozy to me. I couldn't care less about the main story, and the game is totally cool with that. I bought the PS4 version like 2 years ago, and it holds up quite well.

• Yay! My number 4! Glad to see it so high. I love Skyrim because of the vast amount of stuff there is to do and the choice of play style you get. Add in how moddable they made the game and you can basically play Skyrim forever. The additions they made in later years with the additions of Legendary Skills and the like really showed that Bethesda understood the way that their hardcore fans got absorbed into their game, and that 100 levels simply wasn’t enough!

In my opinion, Skyrim is Bethesda’s Magnum Opus, which is scary because Elder Scrolls 6 has to top it. I’m looking forward to whatever they come up with.

• It's the butt of so many jokes, but you can't argue with results!

The Elder Scrolls games are a genre unto themselves. They have flexibility, freedom, size, and a big budget to make it all shine.

Skyrim has several presentation improvements over Oblivion. Better character models, better atmospheric effects (fog, sunlight, snow, wind), better magic effects, crisper sound design, kill animations, a streamlined inventory, an all-new (and beautifully presented) perk system, incredible setpieces in dragon battles, Dwarven Centurion battles, and Blackreach, and a story that's better integrated into the world. However, I didn't find it as absorbing as Oblivion.

It has three big problems. One is the look of the world. Everything is in shades of brown, grey, white, and blue, and it's kind of depressing. The second is the dungeons have been streamlined to the point of feeling more cookie-cutter than Oblivion's Lego-set style dungeon construction. And third is the soundtrack. Aside from the huge title track and the similar battle tracks, it's far too ambient. Oblivion's beautiful melodies are greatly missed.

And while the dragon battles are fantastic the first few times, they happen way too often, and you learn quickly how to exploit the dragon AI for easy wins. All-in-all, Skyrim has a greater sense of repetition than Oblivion. I got burned out on it just before the 200 hour mark, but I'm almost at 300 hours in Oblivion and have only just started the DLC!

Still, the feeling of boundless exploration and the super flexible systems that are the core of TES's pull have not been compromised. Only a few franchises are able to take up such a huge chunk of my gaming mindshare. Starfield and TES VI are desperately awaited... -_-

BTW, regarding the bugs, it didn't take too long for the most egregious ones (texture loading problems and some broken quests) to be fixed. The scale outweighs the rough edges in TES.

P.S. Oblivion's world is one you have to be in to get - it doesn't screenshot well. But Skyrim's enhanced presentation totally fixes that:

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

Spoiler 1
    Spoiler 2

• I LOVE Skyrim, I'll still defend Morowind as my favourite because I'm edgy and a cool cat (honestly it's because the art style is somewhat surrealist), and Oblivion I've tried plenty of times but I just can't get into it. Skyrim I have hundreds upon hundreds of hours spent exploring that world. It's still one of the best worlds from a level design perspective and as a game I think it accomplishes what an RPG should aim for, a world that doesn't ever runs out of content and has a progression system that feels intuitive. Yes it simplifies the formula but mostly because it's better designed. Still the best Bow in gaming as far as I can think of. And it's a perfect game to just chill and immerse yourself.

I used to be an adventurer...

• Skyrim got me into The Elder Scrolls and I was hooked on it for a couple of months. When Skyrim came to Switch I was addicted yet again for some time. Skyrim maybe bug-ridden and its numerous ports shoved in our faces makes its legacy rather tainted-but back in 2011 it was truly the only RPG that mattered and it totally blew everything else out of the water.

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Have played, but never finished it. It was fun for a while, no more, no less.

• Global Moderator

I wasn't really planning on putting Skyrim on my list to begin with. However, then I realised that it had been installed on my PS4 since the release of the port. I put in about 300 hours on PS3 and now I just got 1 trophy left on the PS4 version. It it one of those games where I just jump in for a couple hours now and again to mess around for a bit, do some missions or explore some more. I hadn't done the DLCs until the PS4 version which gave me some new content which I enjoyed. I just really like the atmosphere of running around in the snow, listening to the amazing music and gather some hides. So it wouldn't be fair to leave it out. Once I got the last trophy though, I don't think I'll be coming back to it.

• I like the idea of Skyrim more than I like Skyrim itself.

• When I said GTA V is one of my biggest disappointments in gaming, Skyrim is the other one. But in the end, I think Skyrim is the better game than GTA V, I was just expecting more.

I know it's pretty greedy to ask more from a game this big but I'm coming from the point of view that they had nearly 6 whole years to not only iterate on Oblivion, but also fix some of the problems Oblivion had. They fixed a few problems, but generally speaking, the combat was still really bad, you can get OP in like 15 hours of play time, and there was still so much jank, repetitive dialogue, dumb AI, etc. Some of that was forgiven by me in 2006 because Oblivion was one of the first truly next gen titles, enchanting, charming, funny, and intense all in one game. Skyrim following Oblivion and Fallout 3 is less forgivable.

That said, I enjoyed some of the side quest lines. I did Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild which both have rewarding and long quest lines. I think between those two they really nailed that feeling where you the player have made an influence on this massive world, even from the shadows. In the end though, I got bored of the game after 50ish hours and put it down after 80 hours.

It can't be noted enough that you can mod this game endlessly to create your own brand of fun. It also cannot be noted enough that the PS3 version is outright broken and Bethesda never fixed it. They took the full price on the sale, then acknowledged the fact the game would eventually become unplayable, then decided not to fix it. Sure, the next-gen versions work, but tell that to my friend who still only plays PS3 to this day and looked forward to Skyrim for years.

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

Fun fact, you cannot in fact "clear the map". It just generates fetch quests in perpetuity

Not going to lie, this fact kind of blew my mind.

Skyrim is a lot like League of Legends. It's a pain in the ass to acknowledge that both games are still fun ( to an extent ), changed gaming in multiple ways, and that they're still relevant a decade later. For League, the game is toxic, the culture and hype surrounding the game feeds the toxicity, and it's not better or worse than DOTA 2. With Skyrim, the game is janky, repetitive, and slightly empty.

And despite that, gamers still enjoy both of those games. For hours. Sometimes hundreds. Gotta respect those numbers.

• i still love skyrim even though it starts to stray into the streamlining(removing attributes,not much skill based dialogue etc) that i am starting to hate more and more of modern bethesda games of which i think fallout 3 strikes the perfect balance of.

though skyrim is just pure freedom that i love, that few other Rpgs come close too even today, and those that do are usually CRPG's and don't do 3rd/1st person gameplay(ONE of Note i still hope shows up).

not to mention it's just classic oldschool fantasy, not gritty,political and realistic like witcher 3 or game of thrones and not anime(as much as i love those). just good old "chosen one of legend" and magic and dragons.

it's ultimatly just RPG comfort food for me. when you want you can try more intersting or challengineing style of play or u can just play classic stealth archer with some magic

• There are 8 left Hmmm.(already getting a little sad and worried)
    my guess
    -Bloodborne
    -God of war
    -BOTW
    -last of us 1...
    -Dark souls
    -Divinity:OS2 (please)
    -Persona 5
    -Mario Odyssey?wait probably spiderman
    fell like im forgeting one

• @nimbat1003 said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

There are 8 left Hmmm.(already getting a little sad and worried)
    my guess
    -Bloodborne
    -God of war
    -BOTW
    -last of us 1...
    -Dark souls
    -Divinity:OS2 (please)
    -Persona 5
    -Mario Odyssey?wait probably spiderman
    fell like im forgeting one

You're forgetting Alien Isolation which will be in the Top 5 for sure.

• @dipset

@dipset said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

You're forgetting Alien Isolation which will be in the Top 5 for sure.

Oh and also dishonoured and wolfenstein: new order of course.