The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• It's hard for me to say anything concerning Odyssey as I'm not really a fan of the franchise. I DID say earlier in this very thread if any of the Allies decided to conduct a full playthrough of the Galaxy games I would be down to watch, but as it pertains to Odyssey, I'm not as interested. I will say though, the things I know about Odyssey, from the 2D levels to some of the game's biggest spoilers, are pretty neat. I'm not one for personally giving hottakes for several reasons, yet there is literally only one thing I CAN comment on as someone whose never played it: I don't like Jump Up Superstar. But that's just me.

• Wa-hoo! Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite 3D Mario game. It’s bigger and better than any 3D entry in the series. All of the worlds look amazing, and I always felt like the game was giving me unique and fun challenges. Even though I've collected every moon, I still occasionally play from time to time just for the jolly vibes.

• My favourite Mario game, period. It is the very definition of jolly, a game that keeps surprising you, keeps putting a smile on your face.

There are small worlds, large worlds, easy moons, tricky moons. You are free to explore, explore and explore, enjoy yourself, quickly go through the game or exhaust every possibility before moving on to the next part.

It's easy to take for granted, but the transformations are incredible, that's over a dozen completely different control schemes and they all feel amazing, it's a very difficult thing to pull off.

Yet nothing ever overstays its welcome, and for those looking for a challenge, the final unlockable worlds do get pretty tough!

I can't think of a bad thing to say about this game, all I want is Odyssey 2 now.

• Odyssey was boring change my mind.

• @brannox totally agree about Jump Up Superstar. I don't hate it but it's just an average song that got played up for one reason or another.

• Can't talk about Odyssey yet - still mid-playthrough. But so far, I can at least say that I was right to preemptively rank it in my top 5. Insane level of polish in every facet, no real negative thoughts yet.

• I've finished Super Mario Odyssey and I had no emotions about this game. Pacing was good, but all locations felt the same, just with new color scheme. The character had too much inertia, but I was still able to control him. Ending sequence was nice, but playing it wasn't special. Maybe if I had any attachments to the franchise, I would see it differently, but without any attachments it was a 7 for me.

• so 3D World made the top 5 then? I mean it's a much better game than odyssey.

• It's just a jolly fun game, it's a bit easy and then really hard once u finish it still never did the moon stuff.

Also the movement mechanics are just pure bliss and really reward exploration and experimentation.

• Super Mario Odyssey is an accomplishment in design. Every single level is filled with ideas and mechanics unseen in any other part of the game. You're constantly introduced to new things, and forced to rework your ways of thinking to those ideas and mechanics to consistently fresh and innovative ideas.

I'm not a fan of the Brutals. I think they're... Shallow, I guess, in a simple way of saying, but it's strange to say that in comparison to other Mario villains. The world's on the other hand are full of so much depth. The characters you meet and inhabit, the activities you undergo, and the specific actions you take unto yourself because of how you take control of those characters create completely unique environmental scenarios unlike anything else in the game besides where they're at. Some are so fun, they could occupy a complete game by themselves without Mario attached, and that's the strength of what Nintendo gives these small parts of this large space. I would literally spend an entire Mario Odyssey as that bird from Bowser's castle area. I love that little guy.

There's so much freedom, character and joy on every space in this game that I haven't seen in such a long time. It was a breath of fresh air and a constant amount of unbridled happiness from second to second just discovering what I would do next. Mario Odyssey is what I hope I can capture in a bottle and play again someday, because it's impossible to be able to play this game again in the same way. Even though there's no story, I always felt like I was discovering things and on a grand vacation and adventure.

• Odyssey is weird. I loved my time with the game but don’t hold it in very high regard. I feel the same about platformers in general.

It’s really really fun to play. I think the best thing about it is it’s meticulous design. The worlds are constructed in such a way that you can let your curious out carry you through the world, trying things because you can, and more often than not you’re rewarded with a moon for your trouble.

Also, Break Free (Lead the Way) is much better than Jump Up Superstar.

I think the reason why you see people talk about the latter so much is because people associate it so much with the marketing build up for Odyssey, which people were very excited about consistently. It was perfect trailer music for Odyssey.

• Odyssey its a great game, full of surprises and everyone into exploration should have a great time with it. Although not all Nintendo games are amazing this one is among those that show why Nintendo is needed. The way this game thinks out if the box is something it should be celebrated and taken as an example by publishers and developers as a sign that you can take risks and still have the sales numbers.

As a negative I'll say that the game has way too many moons ready for the pick and I imagine gamers more focused on progression than exploration will find this game kinda pointless.

• The pinnacle of video game fun.
    I always keep thinking about how Nintendo is gonna possibly bring something new and fresh to the table, but they knocked it out of the park with this one. Probably the only Mario game I've 100%. So good.

• Odyssey is joyful. I know that Breath of the Wild will probably be yet to come in this countdown but I believe Super Mario Odyssey is the greatest Nintendo Switch game of them all. I wish I could delve into BotW and have a great time but the difficulty, annoyances and those weapon and climbing durability systems aren't fun-Odyssey on the other hand is a nuclear explosion of joy.

• Super Mario Odyssey: Haven't played, would propably be pretty fun.

• Super Mario Odyssey is fun and I enjoyed the twists it throws at you but half of the levels are just boss rooms and in a blink it’s all over. Not gonna lie, I felt a bit ripped off by this game being full price with only a handful of levels.

Tbh, I had more fun with the Crash and Spyro remakes.

• Marvel's Spider-Man

#7. Marvel's Spider-Man - 249 points

Votes

#3 (iboshow), #4 (Sentinel Beach, Scotty), #5 (Jamicov, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, JW), #6 (GMan), #7 (cordashio75, JDINCINERATOR), #10 (Axel, bam541, El Shmiablo), #11 (collin, Sazime), #13 (FerrisK96), HM (Hanabi, TokyoSlim, HappyGaming, Nimbat1003, Crepe, Hazz3r)

Information

Release year: 2018
    GOTY Rank: 3rd
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• ... I'm not gonna get divinity am I...

Spidermans has some great traversel and does an excellent job trimming the fat of openworld games.

• On today of all days with the PS5 finally letting loose all the details, it's BEAUTIFUL the countdown lines up to fall on Spider-man today. It's also the next example of the game being ahead here than a game it placed behind, as Red Dead Redemption II is 11 spots behind Spider-man when the latter fell one spot short back in 2018.

Looking back from revisiting all my comments, I think mine on Spider-Man (so far from the games revealed) has absolutely gotten much stronger than any other:

"Being such a huge fan of Insomniac and almost everything they've ever done, I passed on this because I just have never really gotten into anything Spider-man. To be absolutely clear: I think this is one of the best looking games out there, the combat seems intuitive and smooth, I really like how it's a unique story, and Manhattan seems vast and there's plenty to do. But honestly, I can't get into it."

And as I continue to see both this and the upcoming Miles Morales, I just can't make myself care about the property. I do believe this should be the flag-bearer Marvel has so Star Wars can look to and say, "We should license out to singular developers," because Insomniac does a great job with this game. But I need to follow my gut: Cheer on Miles Morales from the sidelines while congratulate this game for moving the superhero genre forward.

Spider-man also is a HoG nominee, another in a great list of games! Brought by Huber at HoG 11, a.k.a the last ceremony to have taken place at the studio. It only had two votes, but remember that stream has a three game race between Final Fantasy VII, Counter-Strike, and Aliens vs. Predator.