The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• Super Mario Odyssey: Haven't played, would propably be pretty fun.

• Super Mario Odyssey is fun and I enjoyed the twists it throws at you but half of the levels are just boss rooms and in a blink it’s all over. Not gonna lie, I felt a bit ripped off by this game being full price with only a handful of levels.

Tbh, I had more fun with the Crash and Spyro remakes.

• Marvel's Spider-Man

#7. Marvel's Spider-Man - 249 points

Votes

#3 (iboshow), #4 (Sentinel Beach, Scotty), #5 (Jamicov, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, JW), #6 (GMan), #7 (cordashio75, JDINCINERATOR), #10 (Axel, bam541, El Shmiablo), #11 (collin, Sazime), #13 (FerrisK96), HM (Hanabi, TokyoSlim, HappyGaming, Nimbat1003, Crepe, Hazz3r)

Information

Release year: 2018
    GOTY Rank: 3rd
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• ... I'm not gonna get divinity am I...

Spidermans has some great traversel and does an excellent job trimming the fat of openworld games.

• On today of all days with the PS5 finally letting loose all the details, it's BEAUTIFUL the countdown lines up to fall on Spider-man today. It's also the next example of the game being ahead here than a game it placed behind, as Red Dead Redemption II is 11 spots behind Spider-man when the latter fell one spot short back in 2018.

Looking back from revisiting all my comments, I think mine on Spider-Man (so far from the games revealed) has absolutely gotten much stronger than any other:

"Being such a huge fan of Insomniac and almost everything they've ever done, I passed on this because I just have never really gotten into anything Spider-man. To be absolutely clear: I think this is one of the best looking games out there, the combat seems intuitive and smooth, I really like how it's a unique story, and Manhattan seems vast and there's plenty to do. But honestly, I can't get into it."

And as I continue to see both this and the upcoming Miles Morales, I just can't make myself care about the property. I do believe this should be the flag-bearer Marvel has so Star Wars can look to and say, "We should license out to singular developers," because Insomniac does a great job with this game. But I need to follow my gut: Cheer on Miles Morales from the sidelines while congratulate this game for moving the superhero genre forward.

Spider-man also is a HoG nominee, another in a great list of games! Brought by Huber at HoG 11, a.k.a the last ceremony to have taken place at the studio. It only had two votes, but remember that stream has a three game race between Final Fantasy VII, Counter-Strike, and Aliens vs. Predator.

• Its crazy that both XCOM games are going to land in the Top 6...

• @miserableperson And both Knack games too!

• @brannox If I may, I was also never a big Spider-Man fan, I've always been team Batman. So I had very little hype for this game when it released, and eventually got it a few months later on sale. And I LOVED it!

Like I said about the Batman Arkham series, it will make you a fan if you aren't one already. There's so much love for the franchise and attention to detail, plus an extremely fun combat system (similar in some way to Arkham, but with its own flavor).

I don't think you would regret it if you gave it a shot.

• I have loved Spider Man since I was a really young kid, and this game was just a dream come true. Marvel's Spider Man is the game I always wanted to play as a Spider Man fan outside of the Ps1 game, and it's one of the few games that I've 100% completed with trophies and checklists. I didn't even realize that there was fast travel until very late in the game because of how much I naturally enjoyed just traversing the environment, swinging, taking pictures and taking out baddies. This is a true Spider Man game, in all the best ways, and even if the story didn't pay off as much as it could have, I had a wonderful time for a long period with this game. There are so few games that make me reevaluate how I look at buildings and traversal. This game is just a joy to play and explore and never feels like a chore or a bore to play. Movement in general is so fun, it would be enough on its own, but with gadgets and all the ways you can make the game your own, this is a really special time.

• @axel Oh, you may and I remember your pitch to me back in 2018. I also want to preface the rest by saying I'm sorry for long this became.

But for me (and I can't underscore that enough), I'm just not really into superheroes in general (Overall, I do not identify as a DC or Marvel fan). Batman is an exception, but there are caveats to that in being:

1.) I've only played the Rocksteady games
    2.) I only really care for the Nolan movies
    3.) The rogue's gallery is more interesting

While there are very, VERY few Batman things I still want to look into for the first time (as in really educating myself on the Court of Owls and getting interested in The Batman for the first time with the DC Fandome trailer), but on the whole, I'm good with Batman things and have no real desire to look into that universe any further (so I'm passing on Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League).

Tying this into Spider-Man, I don't like the villains, I'm not really engaged with Peter Parker as a character, and ya know, I'm anti-spider (Yes, I know, there really isn't an actual spider presence in the game, but it's still in principle). I respect it, and I'll say today what I said after it's E3 demo at Sony's last E3 conference: Today's demo showed REALLY well (ESPECIALLY the music during the fight), but it just.... doesn't click. I have no desire. As I said above, my feeling of not caring about the property has only strengthened since (and as I have referenced every now and then, I don't buy in on a game because everyone else loves it. I've been burned too much). So no, I haven't seen Into the Spider-verse, Infinity War/Endgame, or other beloved superhero properties, because the premise doesn't light up like a neon sign shining, "INTERESTING!"

• I'm not a spider-man fan, so for me Marvel's Spider-Man was just a good third-person action game like many others.

• I really don't care about superheroes, one of the reasons why I can't get into Batman games also, and this trend where all of a sudden people consider Avangers movies the best cinema ever made doesn't help my goodwill towards this. In a way, for me, this game represents for gaming what the Marvel movies represent for cinema.

Traversal in this game looks and feels great although the level of control is geared towards accessibility so much that you don't really get good at it or feel the satisfaction of pulling sick tricks.

Story is the basic corporate mandate repetition to ehxaustion of the same Spiderman myth retold a billion times by now. Boss fights too heavily scripted, quick time events galore. Uninspired stealth sections and one of the shallowest open worlds this gen.

Plus last third of the game I encountered several bugs.

Yet the pleasure of just swinging around made me "endure" it all the way to the end, because it feels that good. But it could never get anywhere near my top.

• Spider-Man: My #4! What a joy to play this! It's basically everything I've ever wanted from a Spidey game. Absolutely stunning. The freedom of movement is exhilarating, traversing the city is simply so much fun. And the soundtrack in the background is just enough to give you these boosts of extra epicness. The story and the characters are on-spot, I felt, and I've been meaning to return for the second round with the game. Now it seems I'll buy the Ultimated Edition with Miles Morales on PS5 and get the enhanced version of this as well. Good times. :)

• @brannox Totally fair, I can't force you! But since you liked the Arkham games, you gotta get Gotham Knights though! ;)

• There is something absolutely therapeutic about Spiderman. The swinging is almost zen like I'm it's approach. The combat is simple enough to stumble through, but if you want you can go almost character action levels of CUH-RAZY. The graphics, the details, the obvious love for all things Spiderman... this and the Arkham games are clear winners in the superhero genre.

• Spider-Man is the best superhero game for me, no contest. The swinging and zipping in this game are some of the best traversal mechanics in any game. They really nailed the sense of momentum, the adrenaline rush, and the stylish acrobatic movement. That achievement alone would make it a great game, but they also did a great job at almost everything else. I really enjoy the story in particular, I think the villains could have been more developed, but the personal character moments are great. Seeing the tension between Peter and MJ early on, and how their interaction progressed throughout the game is so fun.

• Spider-Man is my favourite PS4 exclusive because it knows how to have fun and feels like an epic adventure from start to finish. Spider-Man was the most hyped I've been for any PS4 game and it delivered tenfold on that hype. I don't care that Spider-Man doesn't do anything particularly new to stand out from similar games-it has every ingredient a game needs to be one of the best in the last ten years and number 7 is a very fitting place for it indeed.

• I couldn’t get into Spider-Man but I guess I see the appeal. For me, the nail in the coffin came quite quickly when it asked me to shut down radio towers. Nope nope NOPE!

The storytelling was super jarring too. You kinda just start by meeting Aunt May in some soup kitchen and the dialogue and everything just feels off balance. Next you’re in your lab doing monotonous tasks and then you’re playing pseudo-stealth as Mary Jane.

Everything just felt really jarring and off balance for my for the first few hours then the radio towers did me in.

• @dipset Literally spent about 10 minutes swinging around the city at the beginning of the game activating the radio towers and then never worried about it again.
    Honestly forgot it was part of the game until you mentioned it lol.

• @el-shmiablo

Either way, at about 3 hours of weird pacing and jumping between odd styles of gameplay, I wasn't about to invest more time doing radio tower stuff.

I get that some games pay off after the initial investment, but the first 3 hours felt pretty stilted and I was out at that point.