The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• @el-shmiablo said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

Zelda games completely lost their appeal to me with the absolute travesty of a game that was Skyward Sword. Don't care.

Breath of the Wild is nothing like Skyward Sword, and very different from all other Zelda games, so you could very well enjoy it.

• I expected it to be in the top 10 but I'm surprised that Bloodborne almost won. I dropped Bloodborne after about 10 hours because of the difficulty, poor frame rate and long loading times. But, now knowing that this game will be on the PS5 and seeing how beloved this game is among the Allies and the community. I am tempted to give it another shot, then maybe I can experience what makes it so special for myself.

• I respect all that Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild has meant to many players but I just couldn't really get into the groove with Breath of the Wild and I haven't stuck around on Bloodborne because I don't have time to sink into a game that will likely frustrate and imbue me with more negative emotions than anything else. It's a great thing that many people enjoy these games when I could not and I'm always appreciative of any advice people could give me about trying to acclimate to either game properly. Yet I play games for the fun and for the adventure not for the pain and the confusion and inaccessibility, which is why games like Spider-Man and Super Mario: Odyssey are far more preferable to me.

• My top 20 list and 5 runners up:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    2. Mass Effect 2
    3. Fire Emblem: Awakening
    4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    6. God of War (2018)
    7. Red Dead Redemption II
    8. Doom (2016)
    9. XCOM 2
    10. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    11. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    12. Fallout: New Vegas
    13. Red Dead Redemption
    14. Super Mario Odyssey
    15. Dark Souls III
    16. The Walking Dead (2012)
    17. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    18. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    19. Octopath Traveler
    20. South Park: The Stick of Truth
      21. Batman: Arkham City
      22. Fallout 4
      23. Dragon Age: Inquisition
      24. Super Mario Galaxy 2
      25. The Outer Worlds

South Park: The Stick of Truth has all the humor and charm of the show. While most games I play do a good job of making me feel different kinds of emotions, very few actually make me laugh. Because humor in video games is so hard to pull off, I have to give a game props whenever they can do it this well.

Here is a funny audio logs bit from the game:
    Youtube Video

Octopath Traveler has great combat that builds off it's predecessor Bravely Default. It works well with the enemy's armor break system. Allowing you to set up attack combos to stun enemies. The job system is also well implemented and the secret job class boss fights are some of my favorite parts of the game.

At first glance the story may seem like some by-the-numbers JRPG story but Octopath Traveler actually goes some places you wouldn't expect. Some of the character stories deal with heavy stuff like depression, murder and suicide. My only complaint is that Square Enix could have done a better job of tying all the characters story's together. That said, It's still an incredible game and I would be all-in on a sequel if one ever happens.

The Walking Dead was an emotional journey for me. Having to make impactful dialogue decisions not only to survive, but to help others survive. It's a sad and brutal game. So sad in fact, that I may have even shed a single manly tear (aka sob uncontrollably). Sure, It has problems from a gameplay perspective, but it's story and characters more than make up for the lack of traditional adventure game style gameplay. Unfortunately, it was the only Walking Dead season that resonated with me this strongly.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of the best turn-based strategy games of all time and my GOTY of 2012. It won my GOTY thanks to its combination of relentless challenge and addictive gameplay.

XCOM 2 was a great follow up that made improvements in almost every way, while keeping everything that worked so well from the previous game.

Fire Emblem Awakening is tied for my favorite game in the series and it's my favorite 3DS game. The series is known for it's great tactical combat and the additions made to this game made it even better, such as having more options for customizing and building up your units.

I also enjoyed everything about the music and art style. The story is one of my favorites, I especially like building relationships between characters through gameplay, sometimes even leading to marriage. Their conversations are so well written and I enjoyed seeing all the character skits. FE Awakening is at the top of my "Games That Need to be on Switch" list.

And finally, the top game of the 2010s, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. One of it's biggest strengths is that it's exploration driven, instead of narrative driven, which allows BOTW to take advantage of it's open world. It's an open world that rewards exploration and experimentation, allowing for some really creative puzzle solving, world traversal and combat. The systems in this game are so well thought out and made playing BOTW unlike anything I've experienced before. It's a masterclass of video game design and one of my top 3 games of all-time.

This was fun and I think we did end up with a great list of 50 games. It's impossible for a list like this to please everyone but I can tell that there is real passion behind every game that made the list.

Massive shout out to @Axel for doing all this work.

• And there it is! After weeks of voting, and weeks of reveals, we have what we have determined to be the best of the best, THE Game(s) of the Decade! Ok, as I said, I'm going to leave my biggest comment of the thread so far (Actually, you know what, my longest comment in my entire time on the Forums. This took me literally HOURS to write. Goes to show how I just couldn't bring myself to cut anything). I want to focus on the top two games, my votes, and total breakdown by year, and comments on all my picks that didn't make it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE skip to the next post as you see fit.

Let's get started.

Pertaining to Bloodborne: I don't want to keep going about why don't care for any From game, but I WILL say it absolutely confounds me why there isn't a sequel. I'm SURE Sony would LOVE a new Bloodborne, but I doubt From will ever want to make it because they've focused on Sekiro and now Elden Ring. As for the HoG report, Bloodborne was another that was really stubbornly put through. It's first appearance was the first stream, where Ian brought it and it only had three votes, and though that may seem small, the three above it (Metal Gear Solid, Super Metroid, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo) took the lionshare. Surprisingly, it didn't come back until the seventh ceremony, where it JUST missed on being nominated then. Brad brought it that day, and it got nine votes, but lost out to the two who got 13 votes: Final Fantasy VI and Tetris. But Ian wouldn't let that stand, bringing back at the next ceremony and it received those same 13 votes to have the most on the night.

Regarding Breath of the Wild: Again, another time I didn't leave much a comment, but again, can't really speak when I haven't played a game. And since it's the Game of the Decade, I'm fully comfortable with being in the minority on this. It just does not appeal to me, but all the respect to it. (For the record, as a general rule, open world games don't do it for me with very few exceptions, and I've never really been into not just Zelda as a franchise, but just Nintendo games in general.

As for my votes, my list was as follows:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (2016) (11th overall on the list) (4th favorite game of all time)
    2. The Last of Us (2013) (3rd overall on the list) (5th favorite game of all time)
    3. Ratchet & Clank (2016) (10th favorite game of all time)
    4. Portal 2 (2011) (28th overall on the list) (14th favorite game of all time)
    5. God of War (2018) (4th overall on the list) (16th favorite game of all time)
    6. DOOM (2016) (34rd overall on the list) (19th favorite game of all time)
    7. Kingdom Hearts III (2019) (20th favorite game of all time)
    8. Ori and the Blind Forest (2015) (25th favorite game of all time)
    9. Mass Effect 2 (2010) (10th overall on the list) (29th favorite game of all time)
    10. Horizon: Zero Dawn (2017) (20th overall on the list) (31st favorite game of all time)
    11. Batman: Arkham City (2011) (19th overall on the list) (32nd favorite game of all time)
    12. Batman: Arkham Knight (2015) (34th favorite game of all time)
    DISHONORED 2 SHOULD'VE GOTTEN ENOUGH VOTES IN 2016! (36th favorite game of all time)
    13. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (2010) (37th favorite game of all time)
    14. Tomb Raider (2013) (44th favorite game of all time)
    15. Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014) (48th favorite game of all time)
    16. (HM) Gears 5 (2019) (54th favorite game of all time)
    17. (HM) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) (55th favorite game of all time)
    18. (HM) God of War: Ghost of Sparta (2010) (58th favorite game of all time)
    19. (HM) Dishonored (2012) (61st favorite game of all time)
    20. (HM) Gears 3 (2011) (68th favorite game of all time)

I have a personal top 100 list I update with each new game I play I like enough to warrant consideration, so I easily just pulled out of the list as the games were already in order. I included the years so you could see how the years broke out for me:

2010 - 3 games
    2011 - 3 games
    2012 - 1 game
    2013 - 2 games
    2014 - 1 game
    2015 - 2 games
    2016 - 3 games
    2017 - 1 game
    2018 - 1 game
    2019 - 3 games

With how everything is grouped, I know EVERYONE loves 2017 as it had so many games throughout the whole 12 months, but for me and my interests, 2016 had was stacked, particularly in the three week period where three of my top six games from the decade and top 20 games ever came out, ending on my birthday. What an excellent time.

Anyway, my words regarding all the games that sadly, didn't make it in the face of intense competition, in ascending order:

GEARS 3: "Of all the games I played in 2011 (and quite frankly pretty much most of the games I've played), there are extremely few that would rival the amount of hours I poured into Gears 3. Being such a die hard Gears fan, this is one of the first games where the wait for it was brutal. I've anticipated other games for a longer period of time, but I just remember Gears 3 being one of the first where I would actively seek out news in the year/year and a half before it released. I'm not a Horde fan, so it and Beast were the modes I put the least amount of time into, but Beast being a much quicker pace made it a more enjoyable experience than Horde. I also REALLY didn't care for how Epic redesigned the characters, so much so that Dom literally doesn't look like any resemblance of his previous design while others characters were more identifiable. That said, I felt the campaign was a nice length, even if it wanted to go into even more bizarre sci-fi territory down the stretch. And yet, I'm still angry about the end of the Mercy section, only because Clayton survives the campaign. It's a personal bitter taste I still carry because of who took his place. And yet, for all of that, the OVERWHELMING majority of time was spent in offline multiplayer, trying to achieve as many Onyx medals as possible. Now-a-days the thought of mindlessly playing against bots over and over and over and over across three modes primarily (Team Deathmatch and King of the Hill were the fastest way to level up) doesn't sound interesting, but Gears 3 came at a time when I was pretty new to Xbox Live, combined with not as have as many replayable games as I do today AND the fact I had not much to do as I was in college at the time and I'm not a social person to begin with. Plus, this is probably the only game I have EVER played that I cared about cosmetics and I think motion skins are pretty cool, so I'm partial to the fire or moving steel variants."

DISHONORED: "The first (reason I love it) is its world. I find the concept of a steampunkish setting dealing with a viral epidemic to be fascinating (Note: This had some poor aging, huh?), and this aesthetic lent well to the ingenious level design. Personally, the Golden Cat, the Hound Pits Pub, and the Flooded District also stand with the Boyle Estate as memorable locales and the levels, with multiple paths, opportunities, and open-ended nature packed so many secrets, pick-ups, and gameplay moments that make them just as strong as the narrative. And for me, I really enjoyed said narrative. I liked the twist and the last level being so fundamentally different based upon your choices was, for me, jaw-dropping. Encouraging replayability plus the two story DLC, Dishonored is phenomenal. And the sequel is even better in every way."

GOD OF WAR: GHOST OF SPARTA: "God of War on the PSP doesn't get enough love. Ghost of Sparta is the second of the two PSP entries, and while I like Chains of Olympus more, GoS is really REALLY solid. I liked the concept of Kratos having to track down his brother, but much like Uncharted 4, it's understandable how introducing a close family member never referenced prior is a bit cheap. Thanatos is a good Olympian to despise, though I wish he was present more throughout the game. It's fun to visit Atlantis and Sparta, but they actually aren't as well realized as I personally would like. For being a PSP game, the controls are actually pretty good, because in my experience, games with fixed camera angles are better to play on handheld in the absence of free camera movement. Ghost of Sparta also is a nice wedge before God of War II, and I always enjoy seeing the fantastical interpretation of Greek mythology the God of War series provides."

STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER: "I can confidently say that, for me, this is the best Star Wars game since KOTOR. I loved quite a lot, especially the level design and characters. Yes, I do have qualms with there being no fast travel system once you complete a planet's story, and yes, Cal isn't the most charismatic protagonist out there, but exploring Zeffo and the final planet, and always being accompanied by BD-1 never got old. I enjoyed many of the secrets, especially an entire area which is the best spot of the whole game (despite the fact many of the secrets were just cosmetic items or world lore). I enjoyed the story quite a lot, and really appreciated it was something different from the Skywalker tree of everyone knowing and being connected by everyone. I also loved being able to customize my saber and learning the combat mechanics. I'm not a fan of the souls combat formula, but after playing this, I understand why it's so appealing. My biggest problems are only really two things: 1. Spiders. #^$& Kashyyyk. 2.) Tech problems. There were times when the game would freeze as it tried to load the next part of the word, there would be an odd-clip through, or encounters wouldn't end because an enemy just wasn't there. Only once did my game hard crash, and it was during a linear story moment so I only had to replay about 15 minutes once. Despite that, I LOVED this game, and I hope Respawn follows Sony Santa Monica and implements a new game plus, because going through fully powered up would be too tantalizing to not go through it again."

GEARS 5: "Gears 5, for me, is the best Gears game since the first two games. Gears 5 actually provides a wide amount of choice for how you want to play, within each mode. For single players like me, it's a MASSIVE plus I am able to play every mode alone. That includes multiplayer. Playing against bots to practice without dedicating to the campaign or playing against (or with) others was a benefit gone from Gears 4, so being able to open up all modes, including Horde and Escape, to play alone is greatly appreciated (though Horde and Escape are still anti-single player, at least you can ATTEMPT them). Escape is a nice concept, and the more friends you have, the better. Also introducing the map editor opens a lot of opportunity to always mix up the various maps and creativity of other players. The campaign is EASILY the strongest part. The story is great from the jump and carries itself all the way up until the climax. Sadly, there is one plot point that undos a good deal of that good will in the final hour, but that critique aside, I absolutely LOVED it. Especially Jack. Adding a new and out-of-the-box way to approach Gears is fantastic, and I applaud the Coalition with what they've done throughout the whole package of Gears 5. Except.... Their microtransaction and customization system is a colossal waste. Having to buy a currency (Iron) that isn't earnable, and having a limited selection that's not even permanent feels like a total letdown development time went into this. THANKFULLY, the one saving grace of this system is not one time was I ever directed or made known about any of this. I had to mess around with the menus on launch night and look around to discover this, so it's so far out of the way, it's there ONLY for people who will go out of there way to spend cash on cosmetic items. (And now, well after I wrote this, they've redone the system, so it's now even less of an issue, thankfully) There's so much great with Gears 5, and Gears has proven itself, in this generation at least, to be the most important exclusive for Xbox. Halo included."

WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER: "This was the ONLY game that I felt was great. I LOVE the no-apologies take on violence and was completely surprised by how much I really liked the story. I felt it dragged a little bit and by the time you go underwater is when I felt it was becoming a little too wrapped up in itself, but the overall campaign was fun. I especially enjoyed how the choice you make in the beginning changed the story and it was really interesting to see the differences."

TOMB RAIDER: "While I've never really been into the Tomb Raider franchise, my best friend tried this out a copule years after it released and had let me know to give it a shot. I saw a demo on 360, and was interested enough with said demo to give the full thing a chance. I'm happy I did, because I absolutely loved Yamatai. While I could've done without some of the characters, I was invested in not only the location, but the concept Lara Croft wasn't the Tomb Raider yet, but becoming as such and learning what it takes to survive. While each subsequent release of this reboot got less interesting as time went on, there's just something about this game that really spoke to me with its mix of ancient Japanese mythology, "modern" technology, and fun puzzles that were at times challenging, but most were rewarding. Exploring the wrecked ship, bunkers, tombs, and villages of the Solarii were fun."

KINGDOM HEARTS: BIRTH BY SLEEP: "Birth by Sleep was a revelation for me in my Kingdom Hearts fandom. The first game where you didn't play as Sora, AND taking place before (at the time) any other game in the series, having to play the same main story arc from three different perspectives was interesting. Also, getting to see the beginning, middle, and end of a particular world's story from said perspectives was really neat as well, though when you take a look at the timeline on the main menu, the timing in visiting these worlds seem out of order. But I digress... The command deck was an interesting way to get around the shortcut menu and combat system on a portable device and while I don't have a problem with it, I do prefer the series with a legitimate controller. Getting to see certain Disney classics was interesting, though I prefer some of the more modern selections from the mainline games. Seeing as how THIS game would turn out to be the secret movie from Kingdom Hearts II was surprising for it to be a PSP game, but it's probably the most important Kingdom Hearts game in the whole series that is NOT the main trilogy. One final thing I actually like is the monopoly-like mini-game where you can powerup your commands and earn items so you can fuse them for even more powerful attacks. There are some things I don't like, for example the Mirage Arena (which is this game's version of the Olympus Coliseum), Disney Town, D-Links, and a couple of story beats, but overall, Birth by Sleep is always a fun time to play. Sadly, because I'm terrible at games, I've never been good enough to play the Secret episode, only watch it on YouTube, but all in all, there's so much here that's really good. My second favorite PSP game behind Crisis Core, and one of the best Kingdom Hearts games overall."

I know it wasn't eligible, but Dishonored 2 is seriously awesome: Two protagonists, each with their own powers, dialogue, and interactions with others changing accordingly, the game invites you to play it four times: A low and high chaos run with both characters. The story is phenomenal and the level design is even better than the first. The clockwork mansion, A Crack in the Slab, and seeing Dunwall at the beginning and end are all standout moments.

BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT: "I absolutely LOVED the scale of Gotham, and (the game) is the best looking, most inclusive (of villains) Batman game ever. However, it does have its issues (such as) while regular mode was fine once you figured out the controls, the tank mode for the Batmobile really irritated me. ESPECIALLY by the end game. (In addition) the Arkham Knight (him)self? While I'm not a big Batman fan and have only been (a most casual) one for only the last few years, the reveal didn't bother me as much as die-hard fans, but I too feel it was telegraphed and could have been something better. (The thing that bothers me the most is) hiding the "True ending" behind having to beat the Riddler, which involved finding EVERY trophy and solving EVERY riddle. And that ending not really being a concrete one is also bothersome. With that being said I have to say the absolute best part of the game was every single instance (you see SPOILER!!!) particularly during the end sequence."

ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST: "I was captivated when I first saw the trailer during the Xbox conference at E3 2014, showcasing what turns out to be the beginning of the game. Artistically speaking, this (and the sequel) is the most beautiful game I've ever played. The forest had such lush and spectacular environments and the story was sorrowful (Though it DID lose some of that impact a little at the end). My one big criticism for the game is while the game is challenging throughout, the difficulty spike for the end sequence seemed like an unnatural jump by just a little bit."

KINGDOM HEARTS III: "I recognize this game has some issues: the story inconsistencies, not only the actual plot points themselves but also the actual storytelling, feels like it's been shotgun blasted all over the place. All the worlds having no reason to revisit for storytelling purposes was a letdown, but understandable when factoring in the sheer scope of each world. Yet there was some areas that felt pointless (Lookin' at you Hundred Acre Wood and Twilight Town). But tying in main narrative scenes in between world visits as opposed to incorporating them WHILE in the worlds is another issue. Each Organization member being in each world felt like they were just there to be there, and didn't really do much for the core narrative, so every world felt contained and separated instead of connected. Plot points and revelations are left unanswered and even with the recently released Re:Mind (Don't get me started on the all the secret movies across the base game and DLC), there's too many unanswered questions. And the fact there was virtually no Final Fantasy representation outside of the opening monologue of the first world was colossally disappointing, so while it's nice to see them in Re:Mind, I wish there was more. As far as criticisms, my final one is regarding the loading. It felt inconsistent and lengthy quite often, and the social media post were so jarring I get a sense of whiplash every time I see one. It takes me out of it so hard. Despite ALL of this, when I look back at all the games I played from 2019, this is the game I had the absolute most fun with. It's so difficult for me to look at the game with a critical eye when I've had bias present for the better part of two decades, but nothing brought me more joy. The game is STUNNING to look at, especially when I marvel the transition from cutscene to gameplay. Several of the world designs are really cool, like exploring an ocean and its islands, a giant toy store, or a huge metropolitan city (despite the downsides the latter two being the ONLY important areas in said worlds). So many of the series' best ideas are implemented, from movement to combat. In the case of the latter, it's a spectacle to watch as Disney rides, ultimate abilities and forms flash and zoom across the screen just destroying the opposition and unique ones as well such having multiple keyblades equipped and overhauling the synthesis system. I like how diverse the mini-games are and I got a kick out of the retro-handheld ones, but the some of the Flans and the cooking games aren't fun. I love this series too much, and I never, EVER want to recommend it because of all the hurdles and roadblocks it takes to get into it now as opposed to back in a simpler time without ludicrous spinoffs and tripling over itself in convoluted, make-it-up-as-you-go sense of storytelling, but for me, Kingdom Hearts III was what I wanted, what I got, and what I fight for."

RATCHET & CLANK: "(It's) really great to go through old locales (from the very first game) with a fresh coat of paint, great weapon design (and every one of them is fun to use with incredible special effects and abilities), good (not great) story (though still a major improvement over the 2002 original), and most importantly, a feeling of having fun (at every given second). Of being caught up in the moment where you pause the game, take a second to realize the joy being felt, and being so grateful that the game exists. (I'm so happy Rift Apart is coming because with Spiderman being as successful, I was terrified Insomniac wouldn't go back to the franchise)"

WHEW! That's it. I'm done. I know. "THANK GOD!" you're saying. I just couldn't help myself. I loved this thread and these are some of my favorite games of all time. Thank you so much for allowing this post to clog your feeds. I'll see you all in the GOTY 2020 thread in a few months, and I'm shouting this thread out in the next Community Showcase, so I hope you'll have a post there Axel!

• I didn't take part in this project, but I appreciated following it quietly. I haven't played a ton of games from the last 10 years, and the ones I have I haven't been too crazy about. Of the 50 games, I've only played 19 of them. Some I like very much (Obra Dinn, Portal 2, Bloodborne), some are decent (Journey, RDR, Last of Us, Dark Souls), and the rest I think are mediocre to bad (God of War, Mass Effect 2, Arkham City, Skyrim, Uncharted 4, GTA V, Shovel Knight, RE2, Smash Ultimate, The Witness, DOOM, Life is Strange).

Nonetheless, it's been nice following it, and it has reminded me of some of the games I should prioritize checking out when I have the chance.

• Interesting. These are the years with the most/least games:

2010 - 5
    2011 - 5
    2012 - 1
    2013 - 3
    2014 - 3
    2015 - 6
    2016 - 6
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 6
    2019 - 6

Highest ranked game of every year:

2010 - #10. Mass Effect 2 - 241 points
    2011 - #5. Dark Souls - 330 points
    2012 - #47. Journey - 72 points
    2013 - #3. The Last of Us - 362 points
    2014 - #14. Shovel Knight - 152 points
    2015 - #2. Bloodborne - 374 points
    2016 - #11. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 232 points
    2017 - #1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 447 points
    2018 - #4. God of War - 361 points
    2019 - #16. Resident Evil 2 - 150 points

• Oomph. Tough loss for Bloodborne but #2 ain't so bad. All of my favourite games of this gen were like instant jump to the top of my favourite games of all time. I can safely say that Bloodborne and Yakuza 0 were these massive instant jumps where I was like "Yup that's my new favourite game of all time"

My picks:

1. Bloodborne
    2. Yakuza 0
    3. Dark Souls
    4. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
    5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    6. Persona 5
    7. God of War III
    8. NieR:Automata
    9. Alien: Isolation
    10. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
    11. Fallout: New Vegas
    12. Life Is Strange
    13. The Last of Us
    14. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    15. The Evil Within

Honourable Mentions

• Rocket League
    • P.T.
    • The Last Guardian
    • Until Dawn
    • Divinity: Original Sin II

How I'd rearrange my list on 2nd thought:

1. Bloodborne (-)
    2. Yakuza 0 (-)
    3. Dark Souls (-)
      4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (UP 2)
      5. Persona 5 (UP 1)
      6. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life ( DOWN 2)
    4. God of War III (-)
    5. NieR:Automata (-)
    6. Alien: Isolation (-)
    7. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (-)
      11. The Last of Us (UP 2)
      12. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (UP 2)
      13. Fallout New Vegas (DOWN 2)
      14. Life Is Strange (DOWN 2)
    8. The Evil Within

I still think my Top 5 is interchangeable but I like my revised list better. My original submission was a bit messy and I think I overthought things.

As always thanks to @Axel and Alien Isolation is a masterpiece!

EDIT: LOL I think I found a glitch on the forum. It's keeping my copy n pasted numerical values even though I've re-written the text... weird.

0_1600745888202_99000f6b-b35b-4df7-8c08-d91a352e9bf0-image.png

• Bloodborne is the first FromSoftware game I’ve played. And it will be the last one unless they add easy difficulty. I was OK with dying a lot at first, but it didn’t become any better as I was gaining experience (both as a player and as a character). And after getting tired of constantly losing progress, I abandoned any exploration and just used a guide to finish the game. Yes, it feels great to beat a boss, but it lasted only until I’ve died again from some random enemy 5 minutes later. So overall I had miserable time playing this game. I guess this is how challenging puzzle games feel to those who are intimidated by tough puzzles.

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is designed in almost the opposite way to my preference.

I don’t like when instead of VO dialogs are presented with noises. And especially when there are “childish” jingle when you open a chest. There’s nothing wrong with games for kids, I love those, but when you have brutal combat, heavy story and childish attitude, it just feels disconnected.

I don’t like when there aren’t quest markers, especially for quest givers. I’ve finished this game without realizing that it has side quests! How do I suppose to find them without a guide? Do I have to talk to every NPC hoping to find someone with a quest? This wastes my time and takes away my freedom to not talk to strangers.

I don’t like stamina-based traversal system, because it makes the environment hard to read. Can I climb there? Can I swim over the river? No idea until I try, die and lose progress.

I don’t like durability system: you save the best items just in case to never use them.

And visually it looks like a PS3 game.

And there’s only one save slot, which is a crime for an RPG (no replays!)

But this game has one redeeming aspect: shrines. Loved them, and if the game was just a series of these puzzle rooms, I would like it way more.

With all that said, I congratulate this game for winning. It made some bold design choices and while I don’t like most of them, many others loved them. It’s definitely not “another of” game, and to be honest I’m grateful that everyone didn’t try to copy its open-world formula. Although Immortals Fenyx Rising picked my interest and since it “fixes” my visuals, VO and quest markers grievances, there’s a good chance that I’ll warm up to other aspects of such game design. Who knows, maybe I’ll even like Breath of the Wild 2.

• Here’s my top 20 games of the decade:
    20 The Last of Us.
    19 The Witness.
    18 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.
    17 Borderlands 3. Excellent shooter, funny jokes and unexpectedly emotional connection to several characters.
    16 Dragon Age: Inquisition. Great world, memorable cast, harsh choices, wonderful music. Alas, it requires some grinding.
    15 Metro Exodus. Exploring home environment felt awesome and ray-tracing made darkness truly scaring.
    14 Forza Horizon 4. Best racing game. And it has Battle Royale.
    13 Persona 5.
    12 Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. At first I didn’t like hearing voices and tried to shut them. Then I’ve embraced them and it made me more powerful. Amazing transition.
    11 Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony. The story kept surprising me even after I finished the game and was just thinking about it.
    10 Horizon Zero Dawn.
    9 Detroit: Become Human. So many emotions during first playthrough. Numerous story branches and stunning visuals.
    8 Mass Effect 3. Original ending is one of the most powerful video-game finales I’ve ever experienced.
    7 Red Dead Redemption 2.
    6 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
    5 Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. I’ve started it with intention to quit after 5 minutes, but finished it and immediately played second time. The mystery and payoffs are amazing and I’m still referencing some philosophical ideas from it.
    4 Outer Wilds.
    3 Control.
    2 Divinity: Original Sin II. Have an idea? Yes, the game allows that. But despite being a creative sandbox, this game has many powerful story moment with deep attachment to the characters.
    1 Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Obviously there are better games and games that impacted me more. But I’ve enjoyed every moment of my 158-hour journey and stopped only because I ran out of content. Last week I’ve started second full playthrough and it’s still amazing. If I can play only one game for the rest of my life, I’ll pick Odyssey. That’s why it’s my #1.

P.S. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age II were also in my list, but I used "one game per franchise" rule to get from 22 to 20 games.

• The correct game won, and it wasn't close. Nine #1 votes. :)

Bloodborne absolutely looks like a high quality game with a great pedigree, but the main thing it's lacking, with its dark, brooding atmosphere, is accessibility. Breath of the Wild is the most difficult 3D entry of the series, with some gameplay elements that could bug certain players, but the world is still welcoming to all and sundry.

What do I like the most about BotW? The flow of the landscape. With every step, you get an incredible sense of wonder and expectation. You WANT to see what's in that valley, or beyond that forest, or in that corner of the map. Boy, does it beckon.

What do I like least about BotW? The difficulty curve, and weak post-game content (thoughts spoilered below). The relatively early game is intensely diffcult, but intensely rewarding. The mid-game is comfortable, with less punishing combat but still demanding exploration. But the late game just becomes a cakewalk in every repect - your stamina gauge is enormous, your armour and Champion powers absorb everything, you no longer have to take any caution, and everything you do gets done too quick.

And once you've opened up the whole map, found all the shrines, and beat the final boss...that's pretty much it. There are some neat little discoveries to be had, and you can play around with the physics 'til kingdom come, but there're only a few side quests not linked to shrines, and more than a few aren't very satisfying. There are also very few minigames, and only the main characters have any development. Majora's Mask has a much greater quantity of interesting characters.

All the rest of my thoughts on BotW can be found here. You can also see all the pics I shared on Miiverse here. And I made a general BotW photo thread on Resetera a while back. VERY HEAVY SPOILERS for all of these!!!

The majority of the world is filled up with three things - treasure chests typically containing weapons or money, Koroks, and ingredients/materials. All of these are fun to find for the first half of the game...then it all becomes monotonous inventory clutter. I really hope that BotW 2 finds a way to keep the collectables meaningful for much longer.

• I think I had a comment with @TokyoSlim a few days ago where I basically said it's my Halloween tradition to try and love BloodBorne. And there are so many things to like; The Gothic architecture is almost second to none. The monsters are terrifying and feel so alive and dangerous. The weapons are so unique and fast. But that essence of Souls is there, and beautifully implemented while making the game still feel like its own separate thing, but is still too strong a flavor for me. It's probably what holds it back for me that helps it excel for other people. It just has an adoration of kicking my ass and telling me to like it, and there's only so much I can take of that. Who knows, maybe this Halloween, I'll get past where I was last year and finish to the end, but odds are slim. Even if I don't, I hold no disrespect or hatred of the game. I love going around and exploring the haunted town. But not as much as I've fallen in love with other games.

I also love Breath of the Wild. It was a really enchanting experience looking around that world the first time. The reigns are really taken off, and you're given that freedom to go wherever you want with the caveat of you'll also have to understand the world's mechanics to survive and progress. And it genuinely feels like an adventure, going into the unknown and trying new things in places you've never seen before. I played this for many evenings and had a wonderful, magical time. But to me, it isn't a game I can jump back into. Watching speedrunners, how people can and have broken the game and uncovered all of the secrets of mechanics makes it feel less special to jump back in. The magic isn't there anymore the second time because I've seen everything and I've done it before, and unlike many other games I'm attached to that are story-centric, Breath of the Wild is largely reliant on how you create your own personal story, for better or for worse. For me, it means that it won't be the same the second, or any other playthrough. But that first time held a special adventure like quality that I can't deny. I just hope that the sequel gives me that same feeling again. Adventuring into the unknown, never knowing what to expect, and never expecting anything. That first time with the game, the world is your oyster, and man is it magical.

Here's my list. I didn't expect all of the games to make the cut, but I voted based on where I felt things were on my personal scale as well as how I felt they were important or held up over the course of the decade as something that should be remembered. I'll try to only comment on the ones that didn't make the cut. I like some of these games more than I placed them. My list reflects what I feel were the best games of the decade that I played, not my favorite. For example, things like Yakuza 0 would be higher because I love them more, but I ordered my list according to a best not favorite mentality. Although looking back, I may have put Yakuza just a little higher

1 - Persona 5
    2 - What Remains of Edith Finch
    3 - Celeste - This was a fantastic and emotional experience for me. This was my Dark Souls where it was tough as nails, but the difference was that it was so gentle and kind about it. The messages about mental health were also so powerful to me. I wrote a whole podcast episode based on it, and there's a video if anyone is interested in an abbreviated version.
    4 - Final Fantasy XV
    5 - The Last of Us
    6 - Journey
    7 - Catherine - I didn't expect this one to make the cut, but I genuinely believe that this is a game that tells a story in a way most games are afraid to. It's a story that is extremely difficult to tell, because it's about personal relationships, sexuality, and how we are attracted to or happy with one another in relationships. That's big stuff. It's not perfect by any means, it has plenty of missteps, but I think it excels much more than it trips, and I definitely recommend it to those interested in deep character stories about relationships, anime and puzzle games. This is the first Atlus game I played that got me hooked on Persona.
    8 - INSIDE
    9 - Shovel Knight
    10 - Limbo
    11 - Yakuza 0
    12 - God of War
    13 - Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - I don't think most people played this one. I know Ghibli is huge, but the market for a full RPG is probably not as wide as the people who watch the movies. That being said, this game has such positive and good vibes in a way that only Ghibli can provide. Even beyond the story of Oliver and his growth, you have these beautifully well crafted worlds full of cities and towns, full of believable and lovable characters. I just genuinely fell in love with existing in this place. The side quests are all about helping others by finding people to give a piece of themselves to help, and it made it so motivating to help each and every person, even if it really comes down to a checklist. On top of that, I loved the story of all of the characters, the cross-reality story, and just the art. What a work of pure joy!
    14 - Mario Odyssey
    15 - Katawa Shoujo - Definitely didn't think this would make the cut, but damn was I blown away by a game I was basically playing for porn and discovered it had a really touching, in depth story of each character. It has deep lessons about how people feel when they're disabled and how we should treat them equally, and also how we can see things from a new, beautiful perspective by understanding them better as a person. It being a (adult) visual novel definitely puts it into a more niche category, but if you're interested and put off by the adult content, just know you can turn that off and still enjoy the touching and heartwarming character stories that will leave you falling in love with each person depending on the scenario you choose.

Honorable Mentions
    Zelda Breath of the Wild
    The Walking Dead - Surprised we didn't see this, but at the same time given the material we're working with I'm not at all. This was another game that year that I was really impressed with, not just as a game, but for the fact that it was such an emotional rollercoaster while being a downloadable game. This was the year I remember 'downloadable games' being taken off of the specific hit list of how they're released, and just being recognized as 'games'. This was the year of Journey, and that also won huge accolades. This was a supremely special game with amazing characters and branching paths. I would talk with my buddy once a week on the differences in each of our episodes like a weekly television show we had personally taken part in, and the ending of the first season is so gut churningly emotional, I wish I could play it for the first time again. This was TellTale at the top of their game. Better than Wolf Among Us or Guardians, it was them before they got big, but when they had the most passion in my opinion.
    Marvel’s Spider Man
    P.T. - Another Halloween favorite, and I understand why it didn't quite make it all the way to the end. It's more of an idea than a game, but it is an idea that I come back to and dream about and have fallen in love with the more I play it. PT is the groundwork for a masterpiece of horror. It started the revolution of games like it that are slower and methodical, more thoughtful than things like Outlast. It was also the final nail in the coffin of the Konami Kojima debacle, so it holds a lot of weight, but putting all that aside, PT on its own is one of the best horror experiences you can play today. If you can't get it on PS4, people have remade it in Unreal and other ways. It holds up. It deserves to be more. It never will be.
    Firewatch - Another slower pick game I didn't really expect to make the cut, but I genuienly think that Firewatch, like Catherine, handles relationships and personal motives and stakes like how few other games do. The way conversations flow feels so natural, and the way you slowly uncover and personally reveal and write your own past makes it feel personal. The stakes of the game aren't about something like the end of the world, but because they hit so close to home, the small things feel more biting. It's also just a joy to exist in a natural, empty space without anyone around. That's a personal joy to me, being a Firewatch hermit, but there's a real sense of escapism and tourism that you get to experience in a similar way as something like Yakuza 0. This is a space you learn to love and be in, and it's a place I'd love to come back to every year.

• My list. Ten made the top 50, ten didn't:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    2. *** Super Mario Odyssey
    3. *** Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    4. Rocket League
    5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    6. Halo: Reach
    7. *** Dark Souls
    8. Alien Isolation ( yo, @DIPSET ! )
    9. Cuphead
    10. *** Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    11. *** Super Mario Maker
    12. Mario Kart 8
    13. *** The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    14. *** Tetris 99
    15. *** Firewatch

HM *** The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    HM Splatoon
    HM *** Tetris Effect
    HM *** Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    HM The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The *** games are ones I haven't played (since submitting my list, I have started Super Mario Odyssey).

The only year not represented in my list is 2012.

The following games I WOULD'VE put on my list had they been eligible:

Pikmin 3 (2013)
    Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) [hope that rumoured remaster is true!]
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (2013)
    *** Planet Coaster (2016)

• My main problem with our final list is that there aren't 50 games better than Dark Souls 2, much less from the 2010s.

• Some more stats from the top 50.

Most games by Publisher:

9 - Nintendo
    8 - Sony
    3 - Bethesda
    3 - Capcom
    3 - Rockstar
    3 - Square Enix
    2 - Annapurna Interactive
    2 - Bandai Namco
    1 - (17 publishers)

Easy Allies/GameTrailers GOTY:

2010: #10 - Mass Effect 2
    2011: N/A - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    2012: N/A - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    2013: #3 - The Last of Us
    2014: N/A - Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    2015: #2 - Bloodborne
    2016: N/A - The Last Guardian
    2017: #1 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    2018: #4 - God of War
    2019: #41 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Edit: One more useless stat from the top 50. I'm done, I promise.

Longest/Shortest Games (howlongtobeat.com - Main Story)

Longest (Hours):
    97 - Persona 5
    69 - Xenoblade Chronicles
    52.5 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    50 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    49 - Monster Hunter: World
    48.5 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    47.5 - Red Dead Redemption 2
    46 - Dark Souls
    46 - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    40.5 - Death Stranding

Shortest (Hours):
    2 - What Remains of Edith Finch
    2 - Journey
    3.5 - INSIDE
    4 - Rocket League
    5.5 - Mario Kart 8
    6.5 - Shovel Knight
    6.5 - Undertale
    8 - Return of the Obra Dinn
    8.5 - Portal 2
    8.5 - Resident Evil 2

• And it's over, and of the two games left I'm happy BOTW took it. I'm kind of sad this is done as it gave me something to look forward to every day, so mad props to @Axel for doing it. I'm sure it took a shit-ton of work. Here's my list:

1. Mass Effect 2
    2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    3. Batman: Arkham City
    4. Yakuza 0
    5. Persona 5
    6. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair: On the surface Danganronpa is a series about murder, deceit and despair. On the surface it's about anime characters and their struggle to survive in the face of evil. On the surface It's about making you care deeply for these people, only for them to be ripped away one by one until you're left with the final group of survivors, which happens to have your least favorite character. At it's heart, however, it's about perseverance, friendship, and hope. I think the Danganronpa games are some of the most poignant pieces of media for our times, and i think it says a lot that of the three lists I've seen that have this series, they each have a different entry. Any one of these games could have made my list, but I chose 2 because it touches me the most, and captures it's themes the best.
    7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    8. What Remains of Edith Finch
    9. Stardew Valley: Just beautiful. I don't tend to view games as escapism per se, but I do for Stardew Valley. In Pelican Town all of my worries wash away as I live the life of a farmer. I fish, plant crops and hit rocks, and it's some of the most fulfilling things I've ever done in a game.
    10. God of War
    11. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    12. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    13. Pyre: Pyre has one of the most unique narratives I've experienced. It has great characters, a great world, and the writing is impeccable. The gameplay is also very fun, and is something truly interesting I've not yet seen anywhere else. With the recent release of Hades I think Supergiant has a spotlight on them so if you haven't played this yet then please do yourself a favor and try it out.
    14. Outer Wilds
    15. Red Dead Redemption

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Return of the Obra Dinn
    Final Fantasy XV
    The Last of Us
    The Walking Dead: Probably my GOTY 2012, it represents a kind of game we unfortunately don't see too much of anymore: the adventure game. They were rare when this came out, and for a time it revitalized the genre. We wouldn't have Life is Strange without The Walking Dead. It's still one of the best written games I've ever played, and makes me cry every time. The stuff they did with player-choice blew my mind at the time as well.
    Red Dead Redemption 2

• Very surprised that legendary goty Hearthstone didn't win.

Bloodborne, my 4th From Soft game on the top. It was just an HM but frankly everything beyond 10th place is very close. It's a fantastic game, beautiful art direction. The reason why it's behind the other FS games is that it was more on the easy side and most bosses were downed after a couple of tries, so it didn't feel like that huge achievement. But it's a fantastic game nevertheless.

Zelda my #2 pick, right after Galaxy 2. There's a lot to say about this game. At its core it's a very simple idea, use Ubisoft's design philosophy, like many others do, and deconstruct it, rethink it, edit it down. Strip all the thrash away. Trust gamers are not dumb but make sure the world is designed in a way where curiosity and joy of exploration should be enough to keep you engaged.

Then there's how robust the game is, how physical and real it feels. Systems upon systems that interact with each other in a coherent way. If the world design encourages exploration, game design encourages experimentation and ingenuity on a unprecedent level. A very basic example, in most games a tree is mostly decorative, if you are lucky you might be able to cut/destroy that tree and... that's it. In BotW you can cut that tree and use it as a bridge or to float over water. And this applies everywhere in the game, objects don't feel just like assets but instead have physical characteristics that actually place them in the world and interact with the multiple systems.

And it's hilarious that this was actually achieved on X360/PS3 level hardware.

I'll try to write one final post about games I left out.

• Bloodborne: Haven't played. Never will!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Haven't played. Could be interesting.

• Here's my personal list:

1. The Last of Us
    2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    3. Red Dead Redemption 2
    4. Marvel's Spider-Man
    5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
    6. Return of the Obra Dinn
    7. Assassin's Creed Origins
    8. Horizon Zero Dawn
    9. Life is Strange
    10. Grand Theft Auto V
    11. God of War