The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• @crepe said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

Other than that, I'm really surprised that Bioshock Infinite didn't make it. I had it in my top ten.

Bioshock Infinite is a really fun game and I don't really like this overly analytical criticism it's gotten since launch. Back when it released, I thought it was a GOTY competitor for sure. I think it's strange and pulpy enough to be taken lightly, but serious enough to have some nice social commentary. I think people either take it too seriously when critiquing the plot, or they for some reason can't see past the holes to enjoy themselves.

The other half of the pitchfork mob believes that they were promised one game, then received another. I honestly disagree. I think mostly everything that was said to be in this game is in it, just not to the level of finesse that either fans nor the developers expected. I also know there is a camp of people who think the game design in general is bad, it's too linear, it's not Bioshock, etc. I get it - but on the surface it's still a fun as hell FPS with super power abilities and a weird world to explore.

I really like it, I think it's flawed but good if not great. I disagree with the pitchfork mobs. It just didn't make my cut.

• The Last of Us, Bloodborne, and Breath of the Wild are all some of my favorite games ever. The Last of Us has one of my favorite narratives and performances, there are so many scenes that just stick in my head, and I had a lot of fun being as stealthy has possible with that bow. Easily one of the worst trophy lists I've suffered through to get the platinum just because I loved the game so much.

Bloodborne was actually my first FromSoftware game, and it took a little bit for me to really get the feel of it, but it turned into some of my favorite vibes from a game. The satisfaction of being scared of a new area, to finding the boss, then dying so much that you find shortcuts and then know the area like the back of your hand is second to none.

Then with Breath of the Wild, there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. I always wished there was a little bit more story to go off of that wasn't in flashbacks, but it's hard to complain when everything surrounding it is so damn good.

Here's my list:

1. The Last of Us
    2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    3. God of War
    4. Bloodborne
    5. Spider-Man
    6. Super Mario Odyssey
    7. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
    8. Monster Hunter World
    9. Kingdom Hearts III
    10. Death Stranding
    11. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    12. The Last Guardian
    13. Horizon Zero Dawn
    14. Dark Souls
    15. Final Fantasy XV
      HM: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
      HM: Destiny
      HM: Rocket League
      HM: Super Mario Galaxy 2
      HM: Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Most of my list made it in there and it made sense to me where they ended up (a little surprised at how low Monster Hunter World is though). I think I only had 3 picks not make it in. I had Kingdom Hearts III at #9. Not totally shocked, but I waited years for that game and loved every minute of it. I think KH2 is still my favorite in the series, but it's definitely a contender. Destiny was an honorable mention and I figured it wouldn't make it, but I had to at least mention it because that was some of the most fun I've ever had playing games with my friends. I have super fond memories of late night Trials of Osiris or Crota's End runs. Finally, I felt the compulsion to give at least one Pokemon game a nod and it just had to be HeartGold/SoulSilver. Similar to Destiny, Gen 4 was probably the most my friends and I played Pokemon together, but I also just have a big appreciation for Johto, that story, and those Pokemon.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    2. Inside
    3. Resident Evil 2
    4. Return of the Obra Dinn
    5. The Witness
    6. XCOM 2
    7. Ori and the Blind Forest
    8. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard
    9. The Evil Within 2
    10. Forza Horizon 4
    11. Gears 5
    12. Outer Wilds
    13. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    14. Limbo
    15. Gears of War 3
      HM. Cuphead
      HM. DOOM
      HM. What Remains of Edith Finch
      HM. Dead Space 2
      HM. Donkey Cong Country: Tropical Freeze

• @miserableperson I feel very much like, had I played it, Cuphead would have been on my list.

• @demonpirate said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

3- Zelda: Skyward Sword

uhhhhhhh

@hazz3r said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

It's clear that the team were very inexperienced with the open world formula. Even after the plateau, the game is extraordinarily hard, and there is very little in the form of a path of least resistance, because there is very little in terms of a path.

I like the lack of streamlining. It allows you have an interesting experience no matter which direction you go in. There are very gentle, almost subconcious, paths laid out though (characters, macro and micro landmarks), to push you towards points of interest. It's a classic Nintendo development style.

• @oscillator said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

uhhhhhhh

Haha, I was hoping no one would see that.

• My top:

Super Mario Galaxy 2
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Red Dead Redemption
    Outer Wilds
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    INSIDE
    Control
    Super Mario Odyssey
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    Portal 2
    Red Dead Redemption 2

Prey
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls III

Alien: Isolation
    God of War
    Grand Theft Auto V

Papers, Please
    Bloodborne

Special shout out for three titles that are GOAT calibre and were not eligible
    Rayman Legends
    Hollow Knight
    Shadow of the Colossus remake

Also to Observer and Rime, that were contenders to get in my top, but also not eligible.

And all those games like Sleeping Dogs, Vanquish, Xcom, Forza Horizon 4, Ori, Dishonoured, Spec Ops, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Witcher 2, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, Enslaved, Hellblade, among others, that were painful to leave out.
    I chose to make multiple franchise entries, and stand by that choice, but it would be a more interesting top had I not.

I hope if we make a game of the gen top we do it in a slightly different and open format, that leaves less games out of eligibility.

• Global Moderator

Just moved the thread to Hall of Fame :)

• @el-shmiablo said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

Can I ask how many votes any Dead Space games got?

Dead Space 2 was my #6, so I feel your pain. It only got 38 points.

• @axel I would love to know the points for the rest of the list. Also what is the lowest game that is someone's #1?

• @Axel What's the next GOTY vote? Maybe 2009 or 2001.

• We did it, phew! I'm super happy with the way this list turned out, I think we can be proud of our collective taste!

Let's recap everything: 50 people voted, and 202 our of the 240 eligible games received at least a vote. That's about 4 unique games per voter, so a great spread which shows how diverse everybody's preferences are.

Overall representation per year

• 2010 was the most represented year among all the votes, with 24 games out of 25!
    • 2017 was second, with 23 games.
    • 2011 and 2012 follow with 22 games.
    • With 21 games, we have 2018 and 2019.
    • Then we have the two oddballs, 2013 and 2015, who only had 20 eligible games, 16 of which received votes.
    • 2014 follows with 19 games.
    • 2016 closes the list with only 18 games.

Top 50 representation per year

• 2017 is the clear top dog here with 9 games in our list, almost a fifth of the top 50!
    • 2012 is the ugly duckling with only 1 game, Journey, only in #47!

Top 12 representation per year

As we saw, the top 12 was heads and shoulders above the rest with a 64 point gap.

• And again, 2017 leads the pack with 3 games, no contest, the best year of the decade.
    • 2011, 2015 and 2018 follow with 2 games each.
    • 2010, 2013 and 2016 place 1 game each.
    • 2012, 2014 and 2019 couldn't make it.

Overall representation per publisher

• Nintendo is number 1, with 25 games receiving votes!
    • Sony is a close second with 23 games.
    • Square Enix follows after a big gap, with 15 games.
    • Next, Bethesda and Sega got 10 games each (6 of Sega's being Yakuza/Judgment).
    • EA and Ubisoft are tied with 9 games.
    • 2K, 8 games.
    • Capcom, 7 games.
    • Bandai Namco, 6 games.
    • Rockstar, Atlus and Microsoft, 5 games.

Top 50 representation per publisher

• Nintendo is still the best when looking at our top 50 with 9 games.
    • Sony still trails closely with 8 games.
    • Then it's a big drop, with Square Enix, Bethesda, Capcom and Rockstar with 3 games each.
    • Bandai Namco and Annapurna got 2 games.
    • Sega drops hard with only 1 game.
    • Shockingly, Ubisoft, Microsoft and Blizzard got 0 game in our top 50!

Top 12 representation per publisher

• The tables turn in our elite 12, with Sony placing 5 games!
    • Nintendo "only" gets 2 games, but that includes the actual Game of the Decade, so not bad!
    • Bethesda, EA, Bandai Namco, Atlus and CD Projekt round up the top 12 with a game each.

Games with no votes

I wasn't sure whether to include this because the point isn't to name and shame, but in the name of being exhaustive, here goes:

• 2010: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    • 2011: Pokémon Black and White, Super Mario 3D Land and Resistance 3
    • 2012: Wipeout 2048, Tokyo Jungle and Resident Evil: Revelations
    • 2013: DmC: Devil May Cry, Metro: Last Light, SteamWorld Dig and The Wolf Among Us
    • 2014: Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Child of Light, Divinity: Original Sin, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    • 2015: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Tales of Zestiria, Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition or Assassin's Creed Syndicate
    • 2016: I Am Setsuna, World of Final Fantasy, Let It Die, Street Fighter V, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth and Pokémon Sun and Moon
    • 2017: Injustice 2 and Mass Effect: Andromeda
    • 2018: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee!, and Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
    • 2019: Apex Legends, Days Gone, Astral Chain and The Outer Worlds (a former #3!!)

Additional info about games

• I'll start with the unlucky snubs, which deserve a special shout-out! 2 games scored 69 points, as many as our #50 Rocket League, and narrowly missed our top 50: Super Mario Maker and Titanfall 2.

Now... let's list everything else I guess!

• 67 points: The Walking Dead
    • 66 points: Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    • 65 points: XCOM 2, Dishonored
    • 64 points: Batman: Arkham Knight, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    • 62 points: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
    • 61 points: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    • 55 points: Divinity: Original Sin II
    • 53 points: XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    • 52 points: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    • 51 points: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Celeste, BioShock Infinite
    • 49 points: Yakuza 5, God of War III, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
    • 48 points: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    • 47 points: P.T., Nier
    • 46 points: Disco Elysium
    • 45 points: Max Payne 3, Dragon's Dogma, Prey
    • 44 points: Gravity Rush 2, Hitman, Bayonetta 2
    • 43 points: Mass Effect 3
    • 42 points: Bastion, Ori and the Blind Forest
    • 41 points: South Park: The Stick of Truth
    • 40 points: Sleeping Dogs
    • 39 points: Catherine, Alien: Isolation
    • 38 points: Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, Hotline Miami, Dead Space 2
    • 37 points: Detroit: Become Human, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Katawa Shoujo
    • 34 points: Civilization VI, Sonic Mania, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, The Last Guardian
    • 33 points: Kingdom Hearts III, Splatoon, Devil May Cry 5, Borderlands 2, Stardew Valley
    • 32 points: Gone Home, FTL: Faster Than Light, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    • 31 points: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, Overwatch
    • 30 points: Fire Emblem Awakening, Until Dawn, Vanquish, Kid Icarus: Uprising
    • 29 points: Papers, Please, Fallout 4
    • 28 points: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    • 27 points: Wolfenstein: The New Order
    • 26 points: Final Fantasy XIII-2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, God of War: Ghost of Sparta
    • 25 points: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Assassin's Creed Origins, Deadly Premonition, Nioh, Super Mario 3D World, Dark Souls II, Forza Horizon 4
    • 24 points: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, The Stanley Parable, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, Skate 3
    • 23 points: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, Diablo III
    • 22 points: Yakuza 4
    • 21 points: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Valkyria Chronicles 4
    • 20 points: Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Limbo, The King of Fighters XIII
    • 19 points: Ratchet & Clank, Pyre, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Spyro Reignited Trilogy
    • 18 points: Metro Exodus
    • 17 points: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Gravity Rush, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Tomb Raider, Spec Ops: The Line
    • 16 points: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Octopath Traveler, Tetris Effect, Halo: Reach, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Gears 5, inFAMOUS 2
    • 15 points: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    • 14 points: Xenoblade Chronicles X
    • 13 points: Tales of Graces f, Transistor, The Evil Within 2
    • 12 points: The Wonderful 101, Firewatch, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Gears of War 3
    • 11 points: L.A. Noire, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin, SOMA
    • 10 points: Yakuza Kiwami 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
    • 9 points: Judgment, Donkey Kong Country Returns
    • 8 points: Tetris 99
    • 7 points: The Evil Within, Infamous Second Son, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
    • 5 points: Rayman Origins, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game, Borderlands 3, Destiny, Dragon Age II, Hearthstone, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II, The Banner Saga, Far Cry 3, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Assassin's Creed III, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country, The Last Story, Into the Breach, Rogue Legacy, A Plague Tale: Innocence

I've played 28 games out of our top 50. The ones I'm still planning to play one day: Persona 5 (Royal), Mass Effect 2, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Horizon Zero Dawn, Outer Wilds, Return of the Obra Dinn, Xenoblade Chronicles. Ugh, there's some big boys in there.

I'll make sure to post these results in the next Community Showcase, but feel free to remind me just in case! The next thread of this kind will be the 2020 GOTY, early next year, I need a break now.

Thanks again to everyone who participated, it was epic!

• @axel said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

62 points: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Wow! So many votes for a visual novel! This community respect games from any genre!

• This particular seems like disrespect. lol

10 points: Yakuza Kiwami 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

• @axel said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

The next thread of this kind will be the 2020 GOTY, early next year, I need a break now.

Looking forward to the 2020 GOTY and thanks for the breakdown. Enjoy your break, you earned it!

The Walking Dead missing the list by 3 points and XCOM 2 missing by 5 points. That hurts but nice to see they got a decent amount of votes.

I've played 39 games out of the top 50. I'm most interested in playing Life Is Strange (really enjoyed Life is Strange 2), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (not much of a fighting game fan) and possibly returning to Bloodborne.

• Global Moderator

@axel said in The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!:

Super Mario Maker and Titanfall 2.

Damn it! I knew I should of put Titanfall 2 higher on my list. Oh well, it was tough competition with a lot of exellent games there!

• Not surprised I was the only person to put Assassin's Creed 3 in, but shout out to the homies that also voted for Mass Effect 3 and Fallout 4. ✌️

• Out of Rocket League, Super Mario Maker, and Titanfall 2, the right one got in. ^_^

• I think the 16 points for Wolfenstein II was all from me, lol.

Shoutout to everyone that also voted for Titanfall 2 (so close!), Max Payne 3, Gravity Rush 2, Katawa Shoujo and The Last Guardian!

RIP, Mass Effect Andromeda. Also, The Outer Worlds not getting any votes is kinda Wild. I think I voted it number 2 in the 2019 GOTYs, and I only got to finish it after the voting process. At that point, the amount of bugs and unpolished feel really got to me, and I just grew tired of the actual gameplay. If I voted for the GOTYs after I finished it, it would probably only get a HM at best.

• Alright, I was pretty busy with trying to finish GoW(2018) so I couldn't find time to write anything to this thread but I want to share my opinions about some of the titles. (It's not gonna be a short post)

#1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Great game. Best open-world ever. I can't say enough about the feel of exploration and use of physics. It was a really unique experience. Can't wait for the sequel.

#2. Bloodborne

Never been a soulslike guy but I didn't dislike Sekiro and I'm planning to play this on PS5 hopefully.(or PC...)

#3. The Last of Us

My second favourite game ever. Even today I can talk about it for hours. Masterpiece, enough said.

#4. God of War

Unfortunately I couldn't finish it but I played it for hours and I can say this: While most of the changes are fresh and good, I would like it better if some of the things were less and shallow, also -maybe last 2-3 hours are great I don't know yet- story wasn't as impactful as I expected after all those praise. I saw people compare the Kratos-Atreus relationship with Joel-Ellie and found it better, well not even close.

#6. Persona 5

Well, I also pan to play this on PS5 when the time is right but I am a little bit afraid of the 100+ gameplay.

#7. Marvel's Spider-Man

Other than weak side stuff mostly; great story, fun combat, best traversal ever in an open world. Also, if you are into comics and especially Spidey; you can see that people who made this game really studied their lessons with all these easter eggs and references. MM also looks great, can't wait!

#11. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

My favourite of all time, both as series and individual game. What a final man! Those set pieces, those character moments, those beatiful graphics. Best of its kind of games and unfortunately there isn't any strong competition in this kind. Also props to ND one more time about

make you feel bad about a character's dead even though you know he will come back after(Sam's dead scene in the 3rd chapter)

#16. Resident Evil 2

I simply can't accept any remake which has less production quality than this. Piss of PoP!

#19. Batman: Arkham City

While I don't find it as good as most people, it's still a good game with awesome combat and some good story moments. I always felt that story was forced in some parts.

#26. INSIDE

Bad game. I really loathe this one. Hope they don't try something like this with their next title. What a waste of time!

#41. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Never have positive feelings about other souls games but this one took my attention with its faster and more free gameplay. Because I'm a little bit obsessive I quit it after I found about the optional bosses and couldn't continue without beating them too which cost a lot of time and I'm not willing to do it still, planning to try finishing it one day though.

#44. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

What a beatiful platformer. I really like this one and the one before that. Hope we can see something along the lines with this on in the future.

#45. Cuphead

Overrated. Other than the art style, nothing is special about this game. I finished it but I can say that if I could calculate the fun I had while trying to finish it, it wouldn't be worth it for sure.

Here is my list:

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    The Last of Us
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    Marvel's Spider-Man
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Batman: Arkham Knight
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    God of War III
    Resident Evil 2
    Hotline Miami

inFAMOUS 2
    God of War: Ghost of Sparta
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Grand Theft Auto V
    Infamous Second Son

For HM, I have 3 games:
    Batman: Arkham City
    Max Payne 3
    Batman: Arkham Origins

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

First Uncharted that I finished. I was amazed at nearly all the chapters, cinematic moments and globe-trotting adventure. I wrote it before but even this scene makes it a must in my list:

Trying to catch the plane and then Elena comes with 4x4 to help, after that famous falling plane sequence. To this day I still didn't see anything like this.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Other than Arkham Knight twist, best game in the series. I guess I finished it at least 3 times.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Another gold one. It was really good and proof that Uncharted can go many ways with different characters.

God of War III

Second game is still the best one but this one was mind blowing in terms of graphics and set piece moments. Also it's story was nice too, especially

the hope twist towards the end.

Another thing I really liked was how they implemented other Gods' skills to gameplay parts.

Hotline Miami
    Best indie ever! Really though both with it's mind fricking story and really satisfying gameplay it is one of my favourites from indie side. Too bad they couldn't live it up to this with the sequel. :/

inFAMOUS 2

One of the most enjoyable superhero open world game. Second Son was nice too. Wonder when we will see another one of these in the future.

Max Payne 3

While story was weaker than first 2, gameplay was really solid. It has one of my favourite quotes from a game: You'd find that Lady Luck was really a hooker, and you were fresh out of cash.

Batman: Arkham Origins
    Best boss fights in the series. Better than Arkham City too. I really liked the story except 1-2 flaws. Also here is a really unpopular opinion: Roger Craig Smith fits Batman much more than Kevin Conroy.