The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• Love both Sekiro and Control.

Sekiro was different enough from the FS formula and on a good day I might defend it as their best game. Some of my favourite boss battles ever and hilarious on how it trolls the player often.

Control, on the Xbox One X, feels like a game that squeezes the hardware to the absolute limit. Maybe on the PC I would rate it even higher. Combat loop is exciting with special abilities and ammunition balanced in a way that invites diversity and punishes inertia. Then there's an abundance of special moments, from a small thing like running after a rubber duck, to a gorgeous surreal Finnish tango, a man that's his job to keep looking at a fridge... or else, the ashtray maze and so much more. And the pieces of media and the documents are some of the best in the medium. Also, stunning art direction, architecture and sound design.

The limited budget for the game's ambition does show, particularly on story related elements. This does hurt my overall appreciation but it's still one of the great games of the decade.

• I found Control to be pretty bland and it ran awfully on my PS4 Pro. At moments I loved it and at others, it felt like a discount Batman Arkham. My main hang up is how the whole key to success is just holding R1 for a few seconds then release it to throw shit at the enemy. It got boring fast. I’m still in it for a sequel because there is room to improve but it wasn’t a great game to me.

Sekiro is really fun but I actually put it down for a week and found it impossible to return back to because it’s so difficult. It lives and dies by the one way to play. I really wish I finished it because two of my friends swear by it being one of the best games ever made.

• Back to back 2019 entries! And we also now have our second instance of a game being higher here than its respective year: Control placed 5th yet has earned our 42nd best game of the decade, yet it placed one spot behind Fire Emblem: Three Houses which is 46th here, though to be fair, that difference was a single point where we have a three point difference on this thread (plus its a different point system).

My quote regarding Control:

"Control is a case where it didn't get (too) much attention at the time of release, and is a personal surprise it was received so well because not only did I hear pre-release coverage be somewhat ho-hum, I had a friend get to try the game pre-release himself and he told me it was rough... On the whole, when people got their hands on (it) post-launch, all I heard was mild negativity"

I look back at this and am reminded of its reveal at Sony's last E3 conference and how weird it intentionally was. Timely that it appears now on our thread what with the coming 2nd DLC: AWE.

Because Sekiro was a runner up, I didn't really go in-depth because of it being the wrap post of mine, but to extrapolate regarding the game: Because I don't like From games, the best memory I can attribute to Sekiro is it's tease at the 2017 Game Awards, simply "Shadows Die Twice," and watching Ian and Brad react. Now we await word on Elden Ring and who knows how long we'll keep waiting for that (comment for posterity!).

AND! Sekiro is a HoG nominee! Huber brought it to HoG #9 (April 2019 just a MONTH after it released) where it grabbed only three votes. It didn't garner much votes because of recency and speaking to that, we now have three of the top five games from 2019 within the first 10 games here, and that leads me to think, "Soooooo.... Outer Worlds and Resident Evil 2 showing up later yeah?" It's not surprising more recent games being sooner to appear because how to vote for recency is a thing.

• Wow, this is going to be an interesting list already. I'm kind of surprised that Sekiro and Fire Emblem are both low.

Sekiro feels like a novel experience, even after having played Souls games. However, I can understand the frustration that people experience playing that game. I don't think there are any other single-player games that make the gamer feel as if they're learning a new skill. For that reason, I had to put it in the top 10 somewhere. I just also happen to enjoy masochism, so I put it at number 2.

• I haven't finished Control or Sekiro. I started the former, but then it got announced for next-gen, and thought I'd be patient and wait for the upgrade so it might improve frame rates and pop-in on PS4, not that it was ruining my experience or anything. I'm genuinely excited to get into that one, I love the abstract horror elements and the unique feel it's got, I just haven't given it enough time.

The latter I've played for a good ten to twelve hours. I'm not great at Souls games, though I've put time into every one. I love exploring the world and fighting, but like most other games From has made, it can be a little too punishing for me. It puts me on edge just walking around, and while I got pretty good at the parry and love sneaking around and doing stealth kills, when I'm up against a boss, I'm still just not very good at the game. I probably didn't make it very far, I'm stuck at a big flaming bull boss, but I just haven't put in the time or have the patience to go through and get past it. I applaud all who were able to make it to the end, I'd love to see more of that one!

• The Witness

#40. The Witness - 81 points

Votes

#5 (Chocobop, MiserablePerson), #10 (THECapedCaper), #13 (Otos, E_Zed_Eh_Intern), #15 (Sazime), HM (ffff0, Sentinel Beach)

Information

Release year: 2016
    GOTY Rank: 10th
    Developer: Thekla, Inc.
    Publisher: Thekla, Inc.
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

#39. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 81 points

Votes

#4 (NeoCweeny), #7 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern), #11 (feer), #12 (Chocobop), #13 (Oscillator), #14 (FerrisK96), HM (Shoulderguy, Sheria)

Information

Release year: 2013
    GOTY Rank: 3rd
    Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Platform(s): Nintendo 3DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Before release, I thought The Witness looked Myst-like, and I was intrigued. But then I saw extended gameplay footage after release and found out all the puzzles followed a template. I'm not totally down on it - I have it downloaded from Game Pass - but that lack of variety is a significant disincentive for me.

LBTW is another I haven't played, but it's high on my "want to play" list, for the wall merge mechanic alone. Being pretty much the only 3DS game I'm very interested in is the only barrier. Hopefully it gets a Switch port, otherwise I'll eventually pick up as cheap a 3DS or 2DS as I can find.

• The Witness is my #19. I like puzzle games, but usually they are just about figuring solution when the rules are known. The Witness is a rare game where you also have to figure out the language of the game and then use that language to figure out the rules. This trick is rarely done well, but in The Witness it's excellent. It's only my #19 because there were some annoying things in this game, like long philosophical videos. Also I have problems with its open-world: it’s nice that you can do things in any order, but traveling from one point to the other takes a bit too much time.

• I played some of The Witness but ultimately I was too dumb for that game and never finished it.

I've liked most portable Zelda games but The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is on another level in terms of quality. It borrows a lot from A Link to the Past, while having it's own great systems and surprises along the way. I revisited this game early last year and was pleased to see that it still holds up. I think it would make for a great Switch HD remaster despite how much I enjoyed playing Link Between Worlds with the 3D on. It ended up as an honorable mention for me but this is a game that I absolutely had to have on my list.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Post-Review Discussion:

Youtube Video

• I only played a bit of The Witness. I figured out the black panel reflection puzzles not too far from where the game started, and my god that was satisfying as heck. Hopefully I can get into the mood of playing this soon, it's quite the demanding game for me.

• All these games I haven't played!
    The Witness looks cool but I'm not sure I'll ever play it.
    Stopped having an interest in Zelda many years ago. Not sure what it is, just don't feel compelled to play the games anymore.

• Played a lot of The Witness along with my gf but she lost interest and with that I lost interest too. But I did enjoyed what I played.

• Damn, I forgot about The Witness somehow. That game is just fantastic, absolutely amazing design and puzzles.

• Link Between Worlds was my first Zelda game. I enjoyed it a lot. I found it quite frustrating some times because of the open nature of it. It was hard to figure out where I was supposed to be going and doing at times.

• The Witness is the first game in the countdown that I've played after the GOTY vote for its respective thread. At the time, I had the following mindset:

"Of all the 2016 games to be released, The Witness is the one I'm on the fence the most about. Up until now, I have not played it, but the more I think about it, the more (however very incrementally it is) appealing it becomes. I love the art style, and I enjoy a good puzzle, but the time sink dedicated to this is staggering for me, especially when this is a game you can't put down for an extended period of time."

I have since played it and while it's astounding in how there are puzzles literally everywhere, from the panels to the world itself, and the game is GORGEOUS, I actually didn't have the best time with it because there are certain mechanics that are prohibitive. The one that was irritating for me is I have difficulties with a few colors (as certain blues/purples look too similar to me, as does very bright greens/dark yellows), so some of the puzzles based on colors were literally impossible to solve for me without seeing a guide. That's when I noticed other mechanics that are just as bothersome for others, like puzzles based on sound or another sense. If there were accessibility options to make it easier to make the ACT of solving the puzzles easier, not necessarily giving the solutions, I would be higher on it, but as it stands, I can't in good conscience sing its praises without pointing out it can't be played by everyone because of certain design decisions. As of writing, I have played nine games to have been released in 2016, and I would slot it fifth because what IS there is exceptional and the games I have it higher than have more glaring issues.

Moving on to A Link Between Worlds, this gives me the feeling of the highest thought of Zelda game that's spoken about the least. I couldn't (and still can't) really comment about it because I haven't played it, and as I just pointed out, whenever Zelda comes up as a topic, this game isn't brought up as much as many others like Ocarina, Majora, BOTW, Wind Waker, etc. The one thing I know about the game is you can turn yourself into a 2D painting and that's interesting, but Paper Mario kind of nailed down the 2D style well before then.

• When it came out, I hated The Witness. My roommates at the time got completely enthralled in it. I didn't see one for days after, and I sat on the couch with two others while we played on the TV. I thought it was blatantly obtuse, pretentious, and just not a lot of fun. Over the years, I've tried several times to get into it and have given it many other shots on my own. Especially after starting a podcast with a theme of finding appreciation in the things you may not enjoy, I felt it was something I needed to do. I can say now, having finished The Witness, I still don't like it. I still think it's pretentious to have rewards to very intricate and overly difficult puzzles be scenes from Tarkovsky movies, or audio logs with quotes from renowned philosophers, all put there to seemingly make you feel like there should be some sort of story or connection to everything around you, or on the flip end to be 'about' how it doesn't have a story. But I can say that I've done a 180 on the puzzles themselves. I genuinely think there is nothing else like The Witness, and it articulates its rules in a way that is realistically like learning a language. Anyone can understand if they put the tools to the test. I also adore the colors and the world, and walking around is so peaceful and almost meditative with the sounds of your footsteps and nature everywhere. All that aside though, I still just don't like The Witness.

A Link Between Worlds was actually my reason for purchasing a 3DS. I love that game, and spent a lot of time playing through it, but it's probably in my bottom tier of Zelda games. I thought the tool mechanic just sort of slowed the game down by making me re-rent tools I already knew I needed just to change the flow of things and give a different penalty on death. On the flip side, when you buy all the tools, it still doesn't feel like you've accomplished a lot because you really only use each tool in a specific place for the temples. But those thoughts aside, it's still Zelda, and it's just fun to beat temples, collect rupees and do little side activities like upgrading all those items while you save the world. It's also really cool to play with the 3D on, which I generally didn't like in a lot of the rest of the 3DS' library. I hate Ravio. The rest of the game is pretty freaking fun though!

• I haven't had the time to share my thoughts about the last few games, so here they are:

I loved Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, just like I love the entire series really, the Super NES ones still hold up too (especially 2). Tropical Freeze may very well be the most accomplished 2D platformer I've ever played, and it was my GOTY in 2014. Being a 2D platformer, it will never get as much recognition as other games, even I placed it only 13th, but I'm very happy it made the top 50 altogether.

Never played a Monster Hunter game, but World is the closest I've ever gotten to finally giving it a shot. Maybe next time?

There's something about Control that just doesn't appeal to me, can't quite put my finger on it. Reading your comments, it sounds like a PS5 version could improve it a lot in terms of performance, so maybe I'll let myself be tempted, especially if the launch line-up is a bit empty.

Sekiro, well, I've never played a single Souls game (having just started Bloodborne a couple weeks ago). Bloodborne was always the most appealing of the bunch to me, but I don't think I'll want to play another one after that.

The Witness was excellent, but as a first-person puzzle game I preferred The Talos Principle. I have a lot of respect for what Witness does though, and I feel like it was absolutely one of the top 50 games of the decade, in terms of significance. Happy to see it pop up.

Finally, I want to give a huge shout-out to Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Just like I said about Tropical Freeze, this is in my opinion the most accomplished 2D Zelda. The controls in particular are much smoother and responsive than previous entries, it's a delight to simply move around and fight in this world. The open structure was also refreshing, and even the story was mildly interesting, although simple (which is more than I can say for most Zeldas). I think the reason it generated less buzz than it should is because it is seen as a mere "remake/sequel" to Link to the Past.

• Red Dead Redemption

#38. Red Dead Redemption - 82 points

Votes

#3 (Phbz), #10 (TokyoSlim), #12 (JW), #13 (Shoulderguy, Nimbat1003), #14 (Sentinel Beach, iboshow), #15 (Capnbobamous)

Information

Release year: 2010
    GOTY Rank: 2nd
    Developer: Rockstar
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Death Stranding

#37. Death Stranding - 83 points

Votes

#8 (Hazz3r, Lotias), #9 (JW), #10 (Jamicov, collin), #14 (Sazime), HM (Tearju Engi, Sentinel Beach)

Information

Release year: 2019
    GOTY Rank: 6th
    Developer: Kojima Productions
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review