The EZA Forums Top 50 Games of the 2010s!

• Haven't finished Death Stranding. It's been a slow burn for me because I want to give it its own time, and sit down for more than fifteen minutes at a time. I love how it feels, and the emptiness, but I want to become more invested in the story, so hopefully that comes around soon (I'm in chapter 2).

I appreciate Red Dead Redemption, it's just not for me. I've never been an open-world buff, and a lot of the stories in the game feel like John is just being mean to Irish or other characters that are over the top. It's difficult for me to get invested in a story when it's spread out so much between so many character missions. I do love the setting though, and had fun with the shooting. Bully is by far my favorite Rockstar game though because I think the small scope helped amplify all of the characters and side stuff you inevitably end up doing.

• Red Dead Redemption was a game that I enjoyed while playing, but had no memory about once it was dinished. Except for the one thing – it’s ending. It’s excellent and it’s even more powerful thanks to the several “quiet” missions before the last one.

Death Stranding is an interesting case. On one hand, I have several problems with it: combat feels unnecessary, many cut-scenes are too long, and the game simultaneously tells you that baby is just equipment and that you should care about it. Also motorcycle breaks the game: you travel so fast, that you reach destinations 30-seconds after the song starts. And motorcycle traversal is almost effortless, so every other traversal tool (including later ones) becomes unnecessary.

But on the other hand, Death Stranding is a very relaxing game, and I like that. And while I hated its useless online aspect at first, I’ve eventually realized that this is an excellent social commentary on the bad influence of “likes”. All those bridges over flat surfaces, numerous sings in base entrances and other objects placed on popular routes that provide zero benefits to you, but are destined to be passed through and therefore gather likes. We had Journey where online interactions are meaningful or not happening (people just pass by), and we have Death Stranding, where almost every online interaction is meaningless, because it’s driven by likes.

• I did not expect Death Stranding to make it. I figured people would find it difficult to detach the actual game from its insane promotional campaign / memery.

• RDR in 38th and Death Stranding above it, in 37th. This brings great shame to this community! I joke, but I'm surprised.

RDR is one of my all time favourite games above all because I love its world. Also has a super strong cast of characters. I was so obsessed with this game that I bought a 360 just to play it and I loved every minute of it.

Death Stranding is an interesting game, one of the most interesting games I've ever played. Great atmosphere and emergent gameplay but it also feels like its online ideas are underdeveloped and the writing is among the worst I've ever experienced on any artistic medium. Like pathetically bad, but in a way like The Room, when it becomes entertaining to watch Kojima outdoing himself as the story progresses. I'll forever keep the memory of my girlfriend, after watching me play for a few days, coming in the living room and timidly asking me "this game is kind of stupid isn't it?" Still a game I recommend anyone to play it because when it gets it right is an 11/10.

• I also didn't expect Death Stranding to show up, what a pleasant surprise. I haven't got very far yet in the game, mostly because I need to be in a very specific mood to play this. The thing I enjoy the most about this game is the story and the world, it's just so goddamn interesting. It's also presented in Kojima's cheesy and dramatic way, which I like very much.

I would have gotten RDR in if the sequel never released. I have this weird thing with my favorites list where I would drastically drop a game's place if there's a much better game in it's series, and this is that exact case. I hold this dearly for being a great piece of escapism when I was like 12 years old and not enjoying school life. I barely remember the game right now though. I do appreciate RDR1 being a more immediately fun game compared to the sequel, especially after playing Ghost of Tsushima.

• I liked RDR alot more than 2, it's a similar case too gta4 where they went so hard into realism that it starts to detract from the enjoyment often because of frustration and while the simulation of it can lead to amazing moments it ultimately just starts to get annoying.

RDR is likely my favourite rockstar story, (obviously that ending) and the game design feel pretty perfect for the time, I replayed most of it before 2 and still really loved it even on ps3.

Death stranding I like but I haven't returned to it yet after spending like 5 hours building roads in the 3rd chapter, I needa just jump back in and get back onto the story also totally understand its placement its very much a 50/50 game but all it take is a couple people who love it.

• Global Moderator

I didn't play RDR, but everyone always seem to praise it a lot, so glad it made the list.

Death Stranding is one of those game you either love or Hate. Even though I feel people that have actually finished it are in the majority of loving it (including me). Sure the pacing is weird and it may have a bit of a "couldn't say no to kojima" to it. However, people say they get bored and don't "get it". I think though that being dragged out and having the struggle is also the part of it, feeling disconnected and alone. I don't want to go all hipster "but you don't understand!" on it, but I can totally see it not being everyones cup of tea. But it has a great atmosphere and I think its a comment on our society and the bleak facade people are trying to put out on social media and truly it is about connecting. I really enjoyed it in the end and was so glad that I got to play it.

• I already said my piece on Red Dead Redemption in the recent 2010 GOTY:

"Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar at it's best. They created such a fully realized old west setting, while also paying the utmost attention to detail in practically every aspect of the game. RDR also has such an engrossing story, with one of the best ending acts to a video game."

• I've discussed many times about myself and Rockstar games, so I'm not going to go any further. The only unique comment I have as it pertains to this thread is having the 2010 GOTY runner-up so far down the list does not inspire me to the rest of the list as far as 2010 games go.

As for Death Stranding, another 2019 game and ANOTHER example of how the inverse is starting to show for that year: We've already seen Control jump over Fire Emblem, now we have Death Stranding getting over both! The thoughts I gave just almost two months ago:

"Ever since the Konami fallout, I had been fascinated for four straight years about what Kojima would do next. I've never played a Metal Gear game, so I can't claim to be a fan of either the franchise or Kojima himself. That E3 moment at Sony's show back in 2016 still holds up, and I watched each new trailer, becoming more and more flummoxed as to just what on earth this game is."

While this will always be the case, I have seen and heard enough regarding the game to know it's not for me and I'm not going to play it. While it took about the last couple of trailers to cement I should spend my time elsewhere, it doesn't change the fact Death Stranding is one of the most unique games and stories of its development within the industry.

• I love Death Stranding. I think it's Kojima at his best, perhaps not where story is concerned, but certainly in game design, world design, and cinematography.

I heard a saying very recently. It goes something like, "If you're too afraid to be wrong, you'll never make anything original" and I think that goes along way in explaining why I love the game so much. In an industry that for the most part designs games with sales and profit in mind and little else, I found it fascinating to experience this, for lack of a better term, piece of art by comparison.

This game gave me the Tetris Effect like nothing else for quite some time (and in fact it's curious how close it sits in the ranking to The Witness, another game infamous for giving people the Tetris Effect). I know many find its UI confusing and convoluted, but I still love it dearly.

And setting up a Zipline to go from one side of the map to the other with the help of other people online is the best.

• I must be in the very small camp that did not like Red Dead, I played it two years ago and it felt not only dated as hell, with poor mission design, but I also didn't really feel much with the story, and I was genuinely excited to play it, it just didn't live up to any of my expectations, and made me question if I would still enjoy the Rockstar games I'd loved before, luckily playing Bully and GTA San Andreas made me realize that I still love them, so those are still great for me.

• I don't recall if I had RDR2 on my list as well, but I know for sure that after debating with myself for a while, the first Red Dead is higher. I just think the game is more fun, and I guess it scratches the cowboy itch more than Red Dead 2 does. That doesn't mean I don't love 2, because I love it dearly, I just don't think it's as tight an experience overall as the first one is.

• Red Dead Redemption is, I think, my first game on this list? I think it's the game that really showed me what Rockstar was capable of achieving in a narrative open world game. There's too much sandbox in GTA for me, I spend all my time just stealing cars and jumping them, or getting into shootouts, or playing minigames. I can't tell you if I've ever finished a GTA game. None of the stories ever really made me want to see what was next. I finished RDR twice.

I have just kind of restarted Death Stranding for the second time. Will probably lean into it when i finish Ghost.

• I respect both RDR and Death Stranding for their ambition and ability to succeed in trying something new. I just think in the grand scheme of enjoyable games this decade, neither stand out to me as being the types of games I want to play more than once, but I appreciate their legions of loyal fans.

• Resident Evil VII: Biohazard

#36. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard - 85 points

Votes

#3 (collin), #6 (iboshow), #8 (MiserablePerson), #12 (Axel, cordashio75), #14 (Otos, Sheria)

Information

Release year: 2017
    GOTY Rank: 8th
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Return of the Obra Dinn

#35. Return of the Obra Dinn - 90 points

Votes

#3 (feer, tokeeffe9), #4 (MiserablePerson), #6 (Sentinel Beach), #9 (thisnameislame), HM (Capnbobamous)

Information

Release year: 2018
    GOTY Rank: 10th
    Developer: 3909 LLC
    Publisher: 3909 LLC
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I need to find a day I can just devote to Obra Dinn, I didn't like it as much as Papers, Please but Lucas Pope for sure knows how to make different game concepts interesting and makes it so they don't feel limited in their scope.

Resident 7 looks so good, my scary ass has been to afraid to try it, but I've been interested in trying out the RE remake and see if I keep going.

• I could swear that I'd voted for Resident Evil VII but upon reinspection, it didn't quite make my list. It's one of my absolute favorite Halloween games to go through. The bayou vibes and the feeling of exploring a creaking old house is just so special and well done. I wish there were more monsters to fight, but I loved my entire play of that, and come back to it every so often. I have so much respect for horror that can deliver so much from atmosphere, and doesn't try to just give you all jump scares. The scares in REVII feel earned, and the characters end up feeling more fleshed out than you'd expect by the end. What a masterpiece!

I've been slowly picking away at Return of the Obra Dinn. It's not exactly the way my brain operates, and so I love playing it with my girlfriend because she kills at deductive reasoning and being a detective to bounce ideas off of. She gets motion sick watching me play though so we take it slow. I love this game a ton though. From the visuals to just the way you need to think about things, it's such a unique and completely unrivaled puzzle experience in my head. For those who have finished it, I'd recommend that GMTK video he did about it, but I didn't want to have any spoilers, so I have avoided it.

• The second game on our list I'm familiar with, I'm happy to see Resident Evil VII: Biohazard make the cut. While I'm not a fan of playing the RE games, only Michael's Huber and Damiani I trust to watch a full playthrough of an RE game, and it all started VII. I don't know why I was so captivated by it at the time. I don't do horror, but there was something about it that I had to see it through via Huber's full playthrough. Since then, I've watched the full runs of 2 Remake, 4, 5, 3 Remake and REmake by either Huber or Damiani. I enjoyed watching VII so much that I've watched both the full playthrough and subsequent DLC streams twice. This is a good game.

At the time of release and subsequent GOTY thread, I didn't play Return of the Obra Dinn because it was exclusive to PC, but I do like the aesthetic, though I remarked if it did get ported, it would hop on my "I'm interested" list. But then, at some point in time since, I discovered there's a certain... something... in the game that made me immediately go, "Nope. Oh well. Can't miss what I've never played." Also, I know I've pointed out a few times games being higher here than their contemporaries in a given year, but Obra Dinn now holds the lead of the biggest gap: In 2018, it placed 10th whereas Monster Hunter World garnered 4th place with TWICE the points. In comparison, Obra Dinn is above Monster Hunter by EIGHT spots. With such a disparity, it appears more people not only voted for MH: W in 2018, but a majority of those votes were HMs and on top of that, it appears the most clear distinction of the Venn diagram of people who voted then and didn't now.

• I don't understand Return of the Obra Dinn. HLTB says that it's an 8-hour game. I filled every page of my journal and finished it in 2 hours, but was told that I've learned nothing (which is true). I have no idea what else I was supposed to be doing. If this is a game and not just 3D art gallery, then it failed in telling me how to play it.