Gotham Knights

• "Batman is dead. It is now up to the Batman Family - Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin - to protect Gotham City, bring hope to its citizens, discipline to its cops, and fear to its criminals. You must evolve into the new Dark Knight and save Gotham from chaos.

Your legacy begins now. Step into the Knight."

Gotham Knights - World Premiere Trailer
    Youtube Video

Gotham Knights - Official Gameplay Walkthrough
    Youtube Video

• Unfortunately this has me worried. This... just wasn't what I was hoping for. Mainly because of the multiplayer / several characters factor. And the combat seems way too light, you know. The impact of the punches and the moves doesn't do it for me. Brad seemed to have some of the same fears, that this'll be more of a brawler and the stealth side of the series now has a more minor role. I don't know. Something's just off for me here.

I am, however, very excited about the Court of Owls and the general lore around everything. The continuation of things. So the story has the potential to be the strongest point of the game, but I am hopeful that the game as a whole can win me over with a better showing before the release in 2021 (or maybe even later!).

• I'm curious about the lore of this relaunched Batman universe, especially since Jim Gordon is allegedly dead (calling it now, he was captured by the Court)

Also maybe I missed something but is Jason's appearance based off his recent BTAS comics appearance?

• I'm feeling pretty mixed about this, mostly because of the combat. Just like Sentinel said, the impact is not quite there yet. Also, the enemies seem to be very passive and they mostly stand around doing nothing. After playing something like Spider-Man or Ghost of Tsushima which had way more engaging combat AI, this just looks flat to me. I hope they improve on this in future showings. I also don't know how to feel about the RPG esque mechanics yet, but considering the co-op setting it's somewhat tolerable for me. I'm excited to see more environments and exploration though, the one they showed here looks pretty crazy in that comic book kind of way. Still, my hype is somewhat low for this, it seems like the kind of game I would only pick up right after a big sale.

• I am SUPER into this. I'll say that the combat feels a bit splashy but I don't know how much of that was the actual combat or the health bars. I think if Arkham Knight had health bars it would seem a bit splashy too. I guess it's too early for me to be worried about it.

I just love how goofy it is. A giant weather machine!? Arkham wouldn't go anywhere near that. I didn't realize how much I missed dumb comic book Batman.

• Disappointed its not Batman game. another group of super hero gaas game like avengers and suicide squad.

• Is this confirmed to be GAAS? It did look like it might be, and honestly what was shown made me less excited that I was, and I wasn't exactly jumping in anticipation.

• I think this will be a stronger single player experience than Suicide Squad.

• I'm not sure where people are getting that this and Suicide Squad are going to be GAAS titles. Looks just like Arkham games with a coop component.
    Also maybe it's me but I wasn't really disappointed with what they showed. Aesthetically it is a bit different from the Arkham games with the focus on brighter colours and fancy effects, but the gameplay looked very similar to the Arkham titles.

Most excited to try out Batgirl and Red Hood.

• @el-shmiablo
    Online coop=GAAS

• @el-shmiablo said in Gotham Knights:

I'm not sure where people are getting that this and Suicide Squad are going to be GAAS titles. Looks just like Arkham games with a coop component.
    Also maybe it's me but I wasn't really disappointed with what they showed. Aesthetically it is a bit different from the Arkham games with the focus on brighter colours and fancy effects, but the gameplay looked very similar to the Arkham titles.

Most excited to try out Batgirl and Red Hood.

They have completely butchered arkham formula. its just another generic loot RPG game with damage sponges enemies like borderlands, destiny, division. its also direct competitor of marvels avengers.

inclusion of RPG elements lead to destruction of good franchise.

• @dmcmaster said in Gotham Knights:

@el-shmiablo
    Online coop=GAAS

It's not as simple as that.

A game is considered a GaaS if it's supported with new content/features after launch, for (if successful) several years.

Marvel's Avengers is a GaaS because it's been announced from the beginning that new missions and characters would keep being added for years. Games like Destiny, The Division, Rainbow Six, Fortnite, Fall Guys, Rocket League are all GaaS.

If Suicide Squad and/or Gotham Knights come out with just a campaign and nothing else, they will not be GaaS, regardless of whether they offer co-op or not.

• @axel This may have been clarified already and maybe I'm just uninformed, but have they said this won't be the case with this game, cause maybe I'm just reading too much into things but this is giving me strong vibes that it will follow that formula of GaaS you are describing.

• This interested me more than I thought it would. Just saw the CG trailer over the weekend, just skimmed the gameplay (with no sound) and I'm interested. I was pretty much done with Arkham after Knight but the story and four different characters is enough to grab my attention. We'll see what else they show before launch but they got me intrigued. Also the court of owl's stroy line seems to have good buzz so that's cool.

• @themarcv
    Court of Owls is definitely worth a read if you have the time. Along with Last Knight on Earth

• @capnbobamous said in That's News!:

@scotty I thought the gameplay looked fun. Maybe a bit off but it's pre alpha so I'm not very worried. I'd actually be very surprised if the single player was bad because of how much of an afterthought they made the Co-op feel in the trailer. It was kinda like "oh by the way you can play with a friend."

Gameplay trailer had the ''Robin joined session'' in the first minute. It shows it clearly that it's main focus is co-op element more than solo experience.

In my perception, we have 3 different models in current gaming for these type of games: Solo focused ones, co-op focused ones and GaaS ones.

• @dmcmaster As a general rule I've been trying to avoid reading DC stuff, just cuz I really don't need to get hooked into another super hero world like I have with Marvel. I generally have never been super into DC but I also know, just by word of mouth and the few things I've read, that there's a ton there to love and I've just been resisting. I'm currently in the middle of moving and the amount of graphic novels and single issues I have is kinda of a problem.

• @themarcv
    Personally I've been buying comics and books on Kindle simply because it's easy to just read a few pages of something on my breaks. That and it's just easier especially if a series is apparently out of print (looking at you FrankenFran)

Also I'm curious as to what will be different from the comic, as a straight adaptation would be sorta boring, but there are some moments I really want to see such as

Batman being scared shitless after being in the Courts maze trap for 2 weeks.

Anyway if reading isn't a option I believe Court of Owls kinda got a animated adaptation but I don't remember it being that good as they sorta shoe horned it into the DCAMU (DC Animated Movie Universe)

• @dmcmaster Yeah, I've been a physical media kinda guy my whole life but think last year Best Buy stopped their 20% new game membership thing and since then ive been getting all games digital and its great (besides the having to pay full price again).

I haven't made that leap with comics and I really need to, moving really puts in perspective just how much stuff I actually have.

Oh also, why did you tell me that little spoiler? That actually sounds really interesting and now im kinda interested in reading it now > : /

• @themarcv
    I did put it behind a spoiler tag.

Also I just realized but where is Tim Drake? Like I get 4 player coop but it just seems odd to talk up the Bat family and miss the 3rd Robin.

That said sounding like Court of Owls are gonna be a big thing for WB/DC going forward, sounds like The Court is going to factor into Matt Reeves The Batman in some capacity.