Books You're Reading

• Yo everyone!

I've been looking to read more books lately with the extra time at home. I don't know if it's everyone's cup of tea, but I thought I'd take the time to try to invite everyone who's interested to make it more communal!

• What have you been reading? What do you like and dislike?

• What are some of your favorite books, and who are some of your favorite authors?

• Are you looking to read a certain type of book? Bring it up, let's see if we can all help find something for you.

• No judgement! We all like different things. Want to talk about manga, comics or graphic novels? Let's do it! Kids books or picture books? I'm in. Been reading some 50 Shades or something a little more risque? Let's discuss it! Let's make this a safe and fun place to have conversations about all sorts of books.

• Do Audiobook count? If so then I'm currently sifting through Yahtzee Croshaw's Mogworld but I've recently enjoyed classic literature like The Scarlet Letter, modern classics like Fight Club and Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

• @jdincinerator Audiobooks absolutely count! Those all sound like awesome picks. What do you think of the Chuck Palahniuk version of Fight Club? I've never read it but understand it's pretty different from the movie.

Forgot to post on what I was reading too. I've been going through David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames and have been enjoying his flow and humor quite a bit.

• @happygaming Fight Club the novel carries with it numerous differences from its cinematic counterpart-but there is a similar sense of characterisation between the two and if you've seen the film then the novel is still very much worth checking out.

I haven't heard of David Sedaris but am very intrigued and am happy to see if his works appeal to me so thanks for the namedrop.

• I don't read as much as I'd like to, and I've found it difficult to do so during the whole quarantine thing. But I like mostly older stuff, early to mid 20th century English language and Japanese literature; and 19th century French and Russian lit. Been meaning to get into some Germanic or South American stuff. Favourite authors are Faulkner, Kawabata, and Dostoevsky.

I've been reading a bit of Hemingway recently and it's almost ridiculous how much better he is at writing short stories than he is at writing novels. I get that this is a popular sentiment in some circles, but his novels are so canonical that I was expecting a lot more out of the couple I read.

• I need to go out of my comfort zone and read stuff that's a little older. I've got a collection of all of Dickens and Mark Twain but I've never read through them.

I've been especially into short stories lately because they're easier to digest and pick up and put down as I have time. That's a lot of how Sedaris writes are short stories about his life. But I also read some of Haruki Murakami's and Ken Liu's short story work that is excellent! I'd absolutely recommend The Paper Menagerie.

Also, Levar Burton has a podcast where he just reads short stories he's enjoyed called Levar Burton Reads I would recommend which is where I discovered the latter two authors. He tries to showcase a lot of authors from different cultural backgrounds, and it's just really novel to hear him reading.

• I used to be an avid reader until my early 30's then I just stopped almost completely. I read maybe 2 books a year now, usually when I'm away on holiday.

My last books were Joe Haldeman's The Forever War and Mia Couto's Terra Sonâmbula (Sleepwalking Land).

Forever War is one of my favourite sci-fi books and it was my third time reading it.
    Mia Couto is a Mozambican writer. I love his mix of African myths and reality. Always a great read.

• 0_1599082961676_download.jpg

I've read Watchmen before, but not since High School. I've never gotten to read Akira though, and I'm very excited about that!

• My reading material have been mostly short stories compilations, I just can't care much for big books/stories that require a lot of time investment. the most recent one is Sepasang Sepatu Tua (A Pair of Old Shoes) by Sapardi Djoko Damono, an Indonesian poet who has unfortunately died back in July due to an illness. Even after only a few pages in, I'm already feeling emotional because of the realization of what the world has truly lost with his death.

A translated excerpt from this book:
    Do you believe in ghosts? This food, like yourself, is His creation. While houses are created by humans. Where do ghosts come from? Who would spend the time and resources to - and I apologize for this - create ghosts if their only purpose is to scare humans? Crickets, thatches, moss and everything else around me clearly never thought of ghosts, let alone being scared by them. They also don't mock each other, unlike the house to my right. Maybe he does so because he is created by humans.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Don't know if there are a good amount of people who are interested in books about the industry, but I posted this as a correction to last week's podcast and it didn't get mentioned. Thought I'd post it here in case people were interested!

I just wanted to recommend "Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo and the Battle that Defined a Generation" by Blake J Harris. It's written in more of a dramatization fashion, from character perspectives rather than a historical memoir, but was based on real interviews, events, people and situations that happened during the 90s from the sides of both Sega and Nintendo. It primarily follows Tom Kalinske as he began as CEO of Sega of America and the struggles of the company battling with Nintendo being the juggernaut it grew into at the time, but pretty fairly looks at both sides and the struggles of marketing, multinational company cultural disagreements, courtroom battles and more.

It's a pretty thick read, but I loved every bit of it and would recommend it to anyone hoping to learn more about the era and the people behind the decisions that were made then, as well as why certain events transpired.

https://www.amazon.com/Console-Wars-Blake-J-Harris-audiobook/dp/B00K0M8TR4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=console+wars&qid=1600551240&sr=8-1

The book is actually being made into a documentary from CBS All Access, and the trailer dropped just a few hours after I made the last comment. You can watch the trailer here:

Youtube Video

I still very highly recommend the book!