Indie Game Recommendations

• Anybody got any tasty Indie videogame recommendations? I personally and thoroughly recommend Huntdown-I have brought it up several times already and I just can't get enough of doing so because it's so under-the-radar. Skully is quite interesting too and Seafarer is a must-play as well.

• Aer: Memories of Old isn't the best game I've ever played but it has really nice music and is just really calming. It's sort of like Flower with a little more exploring. You play as a girl who can turn into a bird and is the only person who can explore these floating sky islands, so you're trying to discover the history of the world and the gods as you go through dungeons and fly around.

Youtube Video

Mutazione I just started this one, but it's got really good vibes so far. You're a girl who goes to visit her grandfather and help take care of him who lives in the Mutant Zone. When you're there you'll talk to everyone living there and help him garden. Sort of has a Night in the Woods vibe, but I'm not too far.

Youtube Video

Speaking of, Night in the Woods is an excellent adventure game about a girl who comes back to town after college to find weird things happening and that the town is just not the same as it was when she was growing up. There's a narrative with a solid Halloween vibe, but the story really thrives when you're hanging out with your old friends and talking about how things have changed, or the struggles of young adulthood. You sort of get into this groove of creating a schedule for yourself, and slowly really get to know the little town. Really cozy, sad, warm game.

Youtube Video

2064 Read Only Memories is a mystery adventure sort of harkening back to PC-Engine games in style. It takes place in Neo-San Francisco where humans have started gene-splicing and augmenting themselves, and a lot of protests are happening surrounding it. Meanwhile, a little computer ROM (a sentient sort of little robot) shows up at your door saying that an old friend has been kidnapped because of his research. You'll explore the town, meet the people, and solve different mysteries as you interact with the cast of characters.

Youtube Video

Cyberpunk Bartender Action Va-11 Hall-A is a cyberpunk bartender simulator sitting inside of a visual novel. I didn't get too far into this one, it's intentionally pretty slow paced and requests to sit back with a drink and sort of soak it in, and I haven't had the time to play more than a couple hours. Still, the characters are charming, and it's fun to mix drinks for them.

Youtube Video

198X is the first part of a two part game where you are told the story of a young teen who's finding his feet in life through the culture surrounding arcades in the late 80s. In between cutscenes of hearing little snippets of slice-of-life storytelling, you play through a few games inspired by arcade games from the time. I beat this one in an afternoon, but it was a lot of fun.

Youtube Video

I had no idea Florence was on Switch. I originally played it on my phone and is definitely my favorite game I've played on mobile. It's another short one, but tells a wordless story about the difficulties, highs and lows of relationships in a really honest and beautiful way. It left me feeling really optimistic, and it never stops changing things up with how it presents its story through gameplay. Really special little gem.

Youtube Video

Neversong is a game from a studio that used to make games using Flash. This one is directly inspired by a game they made called Coma, but is much more fleshed out and fully realized. It feels a bit like Hollow Knight, though not as big. You're a boy who's in a coma and is trying to find his girlfriend while interacting with the other kids around town, while also dealing with their strangeness. All the while, you'll also go through dungeon areas and solve puzzles. It's got really unique art, good voice acting and has a generally darker feel, but still feels cozy

Youtube Video

Degrees of Separation was a really fun one my girlfriend and I finished up recently. It's a co-op puzzle adventure with really awesome art. Basically each area you have to work together to collect all the scarves in a zone. You each work together and play as a character emblematic of the season Summer or Winter, and the environment around them changes while they go through the environment, making the puzzles. Sometimes you'll need to freeze water as one character to get across as the other, etc. It's on the shorter side (maybe six hours at tops), but it's really fun if you have someone to play with and bounce puzzle ideas off of. Story is a little bit too much for itself in a comical way, but we still had fun.

Youtube Video

Probably have more on my library I'll take a look at later and chime in, but there are a few!

• Blazing Chrome is a run 'n gun game with themes and inspiration from the Contra series. Really good looking 16 bit pixel art and visual effects. First playthrough isn't too difficult but far from easy, and there's a new difficulty once you beat that. A delight to play, and now I'm in the mood for Huntdown -- funny that you mentioned that one right off the bat, @JDINCINERATOR .

• Don't know if anyone remembers Hard Corps Uprising but it was a really fun Contra-like game that only came out on PS3 and 360. If you have those hooked up, I'd still recommend it.

Youtube Video

• Maybe I'll add more suggestions later, but here's one that rarely gets talked about:

Wulverblade is a 2D side scrolling beat-em-up set in ancient Roman Britain. It doesn't reach the level of polish of a Streets of Rage 4 but it's still extremely satisfying if you're looking for another title in the genre. A super cool touch is that for each level there's a mini documentary video showing the real life location that inspired it, as well as explaining the battle that actually took place there, and so on. Clearly a work of love from the devs.

Youtube Video

• I can't be convinced that this isn't one of the best 2D games ever made.

alt text

• Ruiner is one of those "love at first sight" games for me, I really like the art style and I had high expectations for it when I saw the gameplay for the first time. Needless to say, I'm quite satisfied with what the game had to offer after playing it. The gunplay is brutal, fast-paced and satisfying. Not to mention it's stylish as heck, and the soundtrack is dope.

Youtube Video

Minit is one heck of a one sitting game. It's a short game (2-3 hours), and it had so much to show within it's runtime.

Youtube Video

• @happygaming Some stunning recommendations here thank you.

• Always happy to help. Once I'm all done with my daily stuff I'll go through my library and put up some more!

• Went through my PS4 library and pulled a good list of more! I've got like fifty things written down, but I'll put a couple here and come back with more.

Desert Child
    This one is like if you put a bit of Cowboy Bebop onto the Super Nintendo. It's a stylish racing adventure where you need to take care of your life outside the race at the same time. Repair your bike, explore the city, earn money doing different things, and try to be the best racer on the planet.

Youtube Video

Cosmic Star Heroine
    Hearkening to games like Chrono Trigger, this one is a retro-style cyberpunk adventure. It's got really intense and interesting combat, and is like a quarter of the length of other longer RPGs of that time.

Youtube Video

Expand
    I wouldn't really call this a puzzle game, but it's sort of a meditative, relaxing thing to go through. It's got music from the same composer who went on to do Hollow Knight, and it has similar vibes. You just play as a square and try to make it through a changing patterned environment. Sometimes it feels like you're sort of looking at a moving mandala in a certain way.

Youtube Video

Antichamber
    The release of Manifold Gardens reminded me of this one on PC. It's like an abstract puzzle game where you need to think situationally outside the box to progress through the environment.

Youtube Video

Here's Manifold Garden for good measure. Though they're not developed by the same people, I did find them visually reminiscent.

Youtube Video

Poi
    If you like 3D platformers, this one is pretty fun. It sort of feels like a small-studio gamecube game that got lost, mixing elements of Wind Waker and Mario together. You go through levels with certain goals like Mario 64, but fly around in your sky ship to get to different areas.

Youtube Video

Lovely Planet
    Don't know if I can accurately describe this one. It's sort of like if you took Katamari's vibes and turned it into a time-trial first person shooter. I picked this up for like $1, and I definitely have gotten some good time with it worth more than that.

Youtube Video

Stay
    This one gave me a huge amount of anxiety, so I never finished it. You play as yourself, and you talk to someone who's trapped or been kidnapped. You give them instructions on trying to stay calm and give them inspirations to get out. You need to maintain their fears by being there to talk and help progress. But the game also tracks when you're not playing it, and the character will react accordingly, getting more stressed or depressed.

Youtube Video

The Missing
    Don't know if I'd necessarily call it an Indie game, but I think this game is definitely worth a run-through for those who haven't played it for its story. It's developed by SWERY of Deadly Premonition fame, and has similar vibes of strangeness and atypical gameplay wrapped around a strong story that sucks you in the longer you play it.

Youtube Video

The Gardens Between
    Sort of like looking at a snowglobe of childhood memories, The Gardens Between is about going through different abstract memories of friendship between two characters. You don't control the characters though, you control the flow of time, so you'll slowly move things forward and backward as you look for elements you can manipulate to try and progress things for the characters.

Youtube Video

• We should add a distinction to some of these that are wait until it's on sale or don't be afraid to pick it up full price. I admire most indie games on some level, but there are certain ones I would recommend primarily on a sale if others are curious (Lovely Planet), while others I would just advise to buy immediately if interested at full price (What Remains of Edith Finch).

I'll try to label as I go forward.

• One of my favorite games this year is Filament. I've expressed my opinion in the form of video review:
    Youtube Video

In short, I think it's the best puzzle game since The Witness.

Also there was a Stream Team stream for this game:
    Youtube Video

P.S. If you worry about the difficulty, hint system was added after release.