Classic Rock, aka "Dad Rock"

• Going by the "What are you listening to?" thread, it seems I'm just about the only one on here who's enthusiastic about older music. To see whether I'm right in my assumption, I'm putting out a feeler thread for some old stuff.

Some say it's just a radio format, but I'm of the opinion that popular hard rock music from the late 60's to the early 90's had a consistent enough sound and culture to be a legitimate genre (or meta-genre at least). But let's not get too caught up in the minutiae of classification, and instead revel in some searing geetar. :-)

Jefferson Airplane

Youtube Video

Jimi Hendrix

Youtube Video

The Who

Youtube Video

The Rolling Stones

Youtube Video

Led Zeppelin

Youtube Video

Iron Butterfly

Youtube Video

Deep Purple

Youtube Video

Black Sabbath

Youtube Video

The Doors

Youtube Video

The Guess Who

Youtube Video

Slade

Youtube Video

Foghat

Youtube Video

Motörhead

Youtube Video

AC/DC (THA BEST)

Youtube Video

Nazareth

Youtube Video

Ted Nugent

Youtube Video

Aerosmith

Youtube Video

ZZ Top

Youtube Video

Rush

Youtube Video

Van Halen

Youtube Video

Dio

Youtube Video

Metallica

Youtube Video

Quiet Riot

Youtube Video

Accept

Youtube Video

Mötley Crüe

Youtube Video

Overkill

Youtube Video

Guns N' Roses

Youtube Video

Judas Priest

Youtube Video

• Yo, I've been listening to some Pink Floyd lately. When was the last time you chilled through Comfortably Numb, because I think that five minute guitar solo at the end is maybe one of the best rewards to a song outside Phil Collins coming in on drums in In The Air Tonight

Youtube Video

Also just been listening to the entirety of Ozzy Osbourne's Blizzard of Ozz while I clean the porch. Mr Crowley is still my favorite track, but damn, I always forget how great Ozzy and Black Sabbath are.

I generally recommend just sitting and listening to the whole album start to finish, but if you haven't hit up Crowley in a while, have a treat!

Youtube Video

• @HappyGaming I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd. Too mellow.

• @oscillator Dio is definitely a favorite background for me! I've got a bad habit of only knowing the 'greatest hits' albums for certain artists, and then wanting to listen to each album release chronologically. I definitely want to do a deep dive on Metallica one of these days.

• @oscillator That's typically where I'm at, but man, I love then end of that song! Love a long guitar solo!

• Rush was already mentioned so I have nothing to add here.

• @HappyGaming Here's my favorite song from Metallica's first album:

Youtube Video

• @HappyGaming It's not five minutes (about 1:20), but here's one of AC/DC's longest studio solos:

Youtube Video

And one of their most epic live solos:

Youtube Video

• I grew up listening to good ol rock n roll. My grandpa has a massive vinyl collection and at 10 years old, he bought me a record player and the rest is history. Before then it was whatever I picked up from video games like THPS, SSX, NHL, and Madden or the movie School of Rock. Bits and pieces on the radio.

I just think I've outgrown it. What doesn't help is that Q107 is the radio station in the Greater Toronto Area of Ontario, Canada and their definition of classic rock was so loose as to include everything from Rolling Stones to bad Canadian rock from the 80s like Kim Mitchell or Honeymoon Suite. 'CanCon' laws mean radio stations have to play at least 35% Canadian written or performed music so I got really sick of the 80s Canadian rock that they call "classic". Look, don't get me wrong; I grew up on it, so I don't hate it all. A lot of legendary music was written in Canada and we played a big part of the classic rock recording industry but I feel like the term "classic" gets stretched really far when they play 80s butt rock all day due to legal reasons.

Then Q107 will throw in other 70s rock-pop stuff like Billy Joel and basically the "classic rock" line got blurry. Again, I love Billy Joel but the popularity of this station mixed with being forced to sit in the back of cars as a child has tainted a lot of these bands for me. I persoanlly have a "Police rule" with my former roommate and nobody is allowed to play The Police because we hate them so much haha.

After all these years I just got a bit tired of it regardless of "classic rock" classification. I can only listen to so much electric guitar in a lifetime before wanting to try something new. And when you return to it, it's all that much better.

I think I draw some clear lines for myself. When I think of classic rock I think of like late 60s - early 70s. None of the 80s strip club anthems and cock rock hair metal bands like Motley Crue, RATT, Poison, etc. And definitely nothing too heavy like Black Sabbath or Metallica. That to me is just straight up Heavy Metal.

I haven't outgrown everything, most of the music is still timeless to me, but under no circumstances do I ever enjoy listening to a Beatles song these days. Never really liked Pink Floyd tbh.

BUT, I've never gotten tired of punk rock, metal, and new wave in the same way I got sick of classic rock. I listen to these type of bands consistently throughout my life. I think the only classic rock I like to return to are the most bluesy bands like Rolling Stones, (pre-Back in Black) ACDC, Hendrix, Sabbath (if you call them classic rock).

Some favourites:

Supertramp - Logical Song
    Youtube Video

ACDC - TNT
    Youtube Video

ELO - Showdown
    Youtube Video

The Clash - Clampdown (I know its really punk)
    Youtube Video

The Kinks - Lola
    Youtube Video

Some Canadian (CanCon) favourites:

Aprilwine - Could Have Been A Lady
    Youtube Video

Chiliwack - Fly At Night
    Youtube Video

The Tragically Hip - New Orleans Is Sinking
    Youtube Video

Triumph - Lay It On The Line
    Youtube Video

Neil Young - Heart of Gold
    Youtube Video

The Band - Up on Cripple Creek
    Youtube Video

I would really recommend the greater world who enjoys rock music to dive into Canadian classic rock. It's more like folk music with electric guitars. Our take on 80s was BIG just like the US bands but more about catchy guitar instead of metal solos and bombastic vocal harmony.

Our bands outside of mega groups like Rush, Bryan Adams, The Band, and Neil Young never really got the shine they deserve outside of the Canadian industry and northern USA. Most people tend to say The Tragically Hip is a criminally unknown band outside of Canada. They aren't my favourite but I respect the hell out of them.

• @El-Shmiablo @E_Zed_Eh_Intern

What's your take on Canadian classic rock? You guys rock fans?

• @DIPSET Heh, similar situation with my uncle giving me his record collection and a record player. That's what got me interested in Van Halen and Led Zeppelin. The Guess Who, on the other hand, I can't help knowing about because they're the second biggest act to come out of Winnipeg after Neil Young.

I got hardcore into AC/DC after hearing T.N.T. in THPS 4.

Here's a neat Chilliwack single from my uncle's collection. It's a cover of a Buffy Sainte-Marie song:

Youtube Video

• @dipset I'm more of a hip-hop guy but I love myself some Davey Wilcox.

Youtube Video

• @el-shmiablo said in Classic Rock, aka "Dad Rock":

I'm more of a hip-hop guy but I love myself some Davey Wilcox.

The Rainmakers also have some of that "fun 80's rock" vibe:

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• @dipset I feel like everybody I know went through a classic rock stage during or shortly after highschool and I was no different. My first concert was Steve Miller Band in 2001. My problem with classic rock has always been that when you find a band and you play out all of their songs, that's it. There are no new albums coming. Wolfmother were a good solve to this for a hot minute.

As for Canadian content laws, I remember thinking they sucked hard when I used to watch Much Music or listen to the radio. Sooooo much Nickelback. One thing I will say is that, for as much as "Rush sucks" is the most heard phrase in the world, the video game episode of Futurama was the first time I heard "Tom Sawyer" so I will always like that song.

It's also funny there's a band named after the town of Chilliwack. I always thought it was a coincidence but no, they're from the area. Look up "Chilliwack security camera" on YouTube if you have some time.

• @e_zed_eh_intern said in Classic Rock, aka "Dad Rock":

My problem with classic rock has always been that when you find a band and you play out all of their songs, that's it. There are no new albums coming.

I was lucky that my #1, AC/DC, has released two decent albums, two collections of rare material, and a flashy concert film since I got into them. One more album/tour is rumoured.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Youtube Video

Foreigner

• Youtube Video

Bob Seger

• Youtube Video

Fleetwood Mac

• Youtube Video

Don McLean