Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

• so this just got announced
    0_1599575830208_age of calamity zelda.jpg
    Youtube Video

release date is November 20th and if you preorder now you'll get a "lucky ladle" item whatever that is

trailer without the aonuma fluff

Youtube Video

• Wow, they really just dumped that on us. I think Directs are a thing of the past at this point, I'll miss them, but I understand it's also a lot less pressure for them, they can just announce things when they're ready, at their own pace.

• The trailer-only video mentions more info coming on September 26th.

• @axel We just had a Mario Direct... It is just Covid messing with their ability to throw them together for everything.

Anyways, I'm going to wait to see how this thing plays technically and whether the cutscene focus is more trailer magic like that BotW one or this puppy really is packed with goodness from 100 years ago. Playing as Mipha is hell yeah, and I hope we get to play as the king of Hyrule too instead of just the main six. Something like 100 years younger Hetsu probably wouldn't fit the tone, but the king of Hyrule damn sure could, and Windwaker showed us just how badass those kings can be. The maps being Musou style but adapted directly from the sections of Hyrule we played in BotW is really clever and awesome as you'll constantly get the feeling of recognizing the locations you're battling at. I'm not ready to assume with everyone else that this is going to be Persona Scramble level with story and scope, but they'll still be showing us more before launch, so for now I'm going to be patient and see exactly what this is while being mildly excited for it.

Bummer is, confirmation that the Zelda team worked directly with them on this, essentially means this thing's existence delayed BotW 2. I'm wondering if they intentionally did this, so they can push BotW 2 to a time period where new Switch hardware launches. So yeah, not expecting BotW 2 now until late 2021 earliest, probably more realistically 2022, and playing this will probably make the wait for BotW 2 even harder.

Lastly, I kind of hope this game handles the lead in to BotW well, kinda worried about you know, every battle that begins on a Divine Beast. Also, I'm very worried that the over the top Musou style combat is going to ruin a thing BotW did very well before, which is making it feel like at the start of BotW you're weakened from being asleep for 100 years and having no memory, but by the end of the game you feel like you've reclaimed and surpassed your former strength. This game might make that former strength look so much stronger that it no longer feels like BotW Link ever got back to where he once was, which clashes with your ability to have defeated Ganon the second time. I know that's super nitpicky, and it is just a Musou game, so of course it'll feel like he's stronger in this, but yeah. Maybe BotW 2 can touch that up somehow?

• Have to say, saw the headline and very much went 'Meh', after actually watching the trailer im a bit more interested. So much so I'm now in the 'lets keep an eye on reviews' mode. These type of games really don't apply to me but ive dipped a toe in here and there (i bought dragon quest heros and didn't hate it) so lets see if they can wow me.

Also is persona scramble good? Still havent beaten persona 5 but I really enjoyed my time with it and still want to go back.

• @themarcv It's meant to be really good. A direct sequel to P5. But it's not out in the West yet. Rumoured to be coming out before March though.

• @hazz3r Gotcha, I knew about it but didn't know it was out anywhere yet. Not a fan of this genre but this and persona are intriguing.

• Dum idea but what if they include a alternate ending as a bonus campaign?

May god have mercy on everyone who contributed to this
    Youtube Video

• @dmcmaster said:

Dum idea but what if they include a alternate ending as a bonus campaign?

I've been thinking about that all day, how I kind of wish this was that, but then also this sticking to the original is pretty crazy for Nintendo. Think of how this game is going to end. We're going to have to PLAY that. That's actually kind of ballsy Nintendo. First that thing in Origami King and now this.

• I'm actually very hyped for this, it's going to be such a fun couch co-op game!

I didn't play the first Hyrule Warriors but this being tied to Breath of the Wild is enough to sell me on it. I have more attachment to this cast than the characters of all other Zelda games combined.

Also, "Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity" is a badass title. That plus the key art gives off a dark, mature vibe and I'm all for it!

• @axel unlike the OG Hyrule Warriors being a spin off story the story of this is an actual prequel story to BOTW's and is cannon

you aleady know this will have a sad ending because this is set when Zelda and Link failed to protect hyrule from calamity ganon before link went to sleep in the chamber and before he became the hero or hyrule when he was just a mere knight.

• @yoshi Yeah and I love that about it!

• @mbun
    Like just imagine you play out the original ending, credits are rolling "Hey you unlocked The end of calamity " where now Link, Zelda, The Four Guardians, Gandalf the gray, and Gandalf the white
    And Monty Python and the Holy Grail's black knight
    And Benito Mussolini, and the Blue Meanie
    And Cowboy Curtis, and Jambi The Genie
    Robocop, The Terminator, Captain Kirk, and Darth Vader
    Lo-pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger
    Bill S. Preston and Theodore Logan
    Spock, The Rock, Doc Ock, and Hulk Hogan all kick Gannon's ass instead, maybe showing us a glimpse of Hyrule 100 years later but with no Calamity.

• @dmcmaster

Samurai Jack too.